• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling alone from Arizona Oct. 15

MontanaWendy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Oct./Nov. 2012
I've just spent a couple of hours reading posts here. Walking the Camino is something I have wanted to do for several years... but never had concrete plans, always thought it was probably unattainable.
A little over a month ago, it started to seem like I'd actually have the opportunity to do it. Everything has worked in my favor... things are just coming up, I do feel there is something pulling/pushing me to go, and the logistics are unfolding.
Is there anyone else leaving PHX around the first week of Oct.? I am flying into Madrid or Barcelona (unless anyone has better suggestions) and then figuring out how to get to St. Jean from my landing place. It feels a little crazy because I am trying to pull this all together on very short notice, a fair amount of trepidation and a lot of faith. I am currently living in Flagstaff.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re: Traveling alone from Arizona early October

Hello,
We're neighbors, well almost, I live in S-Cal. I'll be flying into Madrid Sept 25 and taking the Renfre train to Pamplona (airport shuttle bus to the Renfre station), then a taxi to STJ. There's also a bus that goes to STJ from Pamplona, but, my schedule didn't make that feasable.
There's some good posts about the logistics in the travel section.

Buen Camino

M

Did you got your tickets already?????????????????????????????
I suggest you take a multi city ticket

phx- pamplona (PNA) (no Renfre) few extra 20-30 dollars
Santiago de Compostela - back to PHX
in one ticket

I checked this for you

Average Price per Person - 1095.20 USD
Fare Alert: Nonrefundable fare. Change fee associated with fare.

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1410 PHX
Phoenix Oct 03, 2012
08:20 AM MIA
Miami Oct 03, 2012
03:20 PM 738 Economy
View Seats 1972 Food For Purchase 22 hr
0 min

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY IBERIA 5672 MIA
Miami Oct 03, 2012
05:05 PM MAD
Madrid Oct 04, 2012
07:40 AM 340 Economy
Breakfast
Lunch

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY AIR NOSTRUM FOR IBERIA 5428 MAD
Madrid Oct 04, 2012
02:25 PM PNA
Pamplona Oct 04, 2012
03:20 PM CR9 Economy
View Seats 185 N/A
Alert: Please note connection time. Overnight flight or connection. Terminal change.

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY IBERIA 5524 SCQ
Santiago De Compostela Nov 07, 2012
09:20 AM MAD
Madrid Nov 07, 2012
10:30 AM 319 Economy
N/A 19 hr
40 min

AMERICAN AIRLINES 37 MAD
Madrid Nov 07, 2012
01:00 PM DFW
Dallas/ Fort Worth Nov 07, 2012
05:15 PM 763 Economy
View Seats 4966 Lunch
Snack or Brunch

AMERICAN AIRLINES 1091 DFW
Dallas/ Fort Worth Nov 07, 2012
07:30 PM PHX
Phoenix Nov 07, 2012
09:00 PM M83 Economy
View Seats 868 Food For Purchase
Alert: Terminal change.

Check if this way is cheaper and faster than taken plain to Madrid and train to Pamplona and Bus or train Santiago -Madrid plus plain back to US

Last time I did that plus I get miles for next trips.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I have my ticket... for a little later than I originally thought. I'll be leaving Phoenix on Oct. 15, arriving in Madrid on Oct.16. From there I'll have to figure out my way to St. Jean, and hopefully be on the Camino by Oct.18. I plan to get my credential in St. Jean, and then begin my walk. I'd say "and then begin my pilgrimage" except I feel like I have already begun.

Thank you Jorge. Yes, just got the ticket. My partner got it for me using his frequent flyer miles. We hadn't realized it was a possibility, but called and checked, and as long as I was willing to wait until the 15th, it worked. Out of pocket cost was about $60. It just seems like things are coming together with divine help. I was feeling called to go... and this is just further validation.

M, you are just a few days away! Buen camino!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Wendy. Must have missed you on the Camino. I am Nathan. I live in Arizona. I left St Jean on Oct 17th and walked into Santiago on Nov 22nd. What an incredible experience! I hope you were able to make it without complications. Burn Camino and keep the Way in your life!

Hi Wendy. Must have missed you on the Camino. I am Nathan. I live in Arizona. I left St Jean on Oct 17th and walked into Santiago on Nov 22nd. What an incredible experience! I hope you were able to make it without complications. Burn Camino and keep the Way in your life!

Hi Nathan,
I'm Monica. I'm planning on leaving Arizona by the end of August to make my way over there. Can you spare a phone call?
Would love to hear about your trip!

Monica

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back