• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oct/Nov

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Oct 2024
Hi - Planning my first Camino starting SJPP Oct 10 to whenever I arrive in Finisterre and wondering about laundry - seems like daylight time, temps and potential for rain will make it hard for air drying and I'm coming from tropical weather so hard to conceive while planning. Have lots of merino wool layers so can do less laundry without too much "eau de thru hike" if needed. Appreciate any input on this or anything else I need to be thinking about that is a little different that time of year. Gracias!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Most albergues have a place wash clothes by hand and dry them. Many now have washers and dryers now, too and in bigger towns you'll find laundromats if you arevstaying in hotels without pilgrim facilities. Once you get into Galicia, the washers and dryers are generally large,quick, and cheap compared to the rest of the Camino.(3 euros per load with soap included).

My merino was always dry by morning this winter just air drying.

Hi @gini007 I wish you well and think it’s a great time to walk, albeit it with a few extra challenges. We often walk on paths with fewer facilities. One little trick my husband taught me is to put some of those ‘not quite dry’ things in with you for the night in your sleeping bag or under the covers, and let body heat work its magic. 😎

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most albergues have a place wash clothes by hand and dry them. Many now have washers and dryers now, too and in bigger towns you'll find laundromats if you arevstaying in hotels without pilgrim facilities. Once you get into Galicia, the washers and dryers are generally large,quick, and cheap compared to the rest of the Camino.(3 euros per load with soap included).

My merino was always dry by morning this winter just air drying.
Thank you - was unsure on the machine availability in the albergues - helpful thanks!

Hi @gini007 I wish you well and think it’s a great time to walk, albeit it with a few extra challenges. We often walk on paths with fewer facilities. One little trick my husband taught me is to put some of those ‘not quite dry’ things in with you for the night in your sleeping bag or under the covers, and let body heat work its magic. 😎
Thank you for the well wishes - I am really looking forward to enjoying the weather (all of of it- whatever it brings!) and hopefully little less crowding but still having some company- hopefully I have hit the mark on timing. I considered a winter Camino but figured I would save that for a second or third one. Appreciate the tip on the clothes too!

Hi - Planning my first Camino starting SJPP Oct 10 to whenever I arrive in Finisterre and wondering about laundry - seems like daylight time, temps and potential for rain will make it hard for air drying and I'm coming from tropical weather so hard to conceive while planning. Have lots of merino wool layers so can do less laundry without too much "eau de thru hike" if needed. Appreciate any input on this or anything else I need to be thinking about that is a little different that time of year. Gracias!
I have walked in winter and when I did not wash my clothes because I knew they would not dry in time i really didn't "sweat it" ;) too much. Merino and some of the synthetic fabrics do not smell after a few wearings. If that is not a problem for you then go and don't worry. Everything works out and you will sure figure out what works for you and what you can handle pretty quickly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked two caminos in Sep-Nov time frames. Galatia will be getting cold and wet by then, but still beautiful.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked from León to Santiago by the end of October, beginning of November: 12 days waking, 12 days raining.
Galicia is usually wet, but in fall it is worst. If you can change your mind about starting date, choose another date.
Otherwise, do remember that from the 1st of November you should use this list instead of Gronze:
Please, check the day before that the hospitalero will be there on your arrival time.
Most of albergues have dryers, but do not forget to bring some clothes which can be dried quickly, a good rain poncho, without forgetting a piece of courage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked from León to Santiago by the end of October, beginning of November: 12 days waking, 12 days raining.
Galicia is usually wet, but in fall it is worst. If you can change your mind about starting date, choose another date.
Otherwise, do remember that from the 1st of November you should use this list instead of Gronze:
Please, check the day before that the hospitalero will be there on your arrival time.
Most of albergues have dryers, but do not forget to bring some clothes which can be dried quickly, a good rain poncho, without forgetting a piece of courage.
I'll pack my courage and extra socks! Also planning on the Altus Poncho/Jacket. Thank you for the tip on the albergues too - didn't know there was a list - so thats really helpful.

I walked CF last October, two weeks of sun and two weeks of solid rain. Washers and dryers were expensive. 5 euro each in a lot of places. Good idea to bring a washing bag to place your dirty clothes in making it easier to share washing machine and dryer with other pilgrims and share the cost.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked CF last October, two weeks of sun and two weeks of solid rain. Washers and dryers were expensive. 5 euro each in a lot of places. Good idea to bring a washing bag to place your dirty clothes in making it easier to share washing machine and dryer with other pilgrims and share the cost.
Oh that’s a great idea with nominal weight added- Thanks !

gini007,

Autumn is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Although during past years albergues on the CF started to close mid October there was always some place open. The hospitaleros usually know what was open on the next section. Walking in late autumn I usually stayed in municipal albergues and never had a reservation until the final days in Santiago.

However you must be prepared for colder weather. Many who walk in late autumn wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
gini007,

Autumn is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Although during past years albergues on the CF started to close mid October there was always some place open. The hospitaleros usually know what was open on the next section. Walking in late autumn I usually stayed in municipal albergues and never had a reservation until the final days in Santiago.

Howwver you must be prepared for colder weather. Many who walk in late autumn wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter.

Happy planning and Buen camino!
Thanks so much for your response. I really enjoy cold weather and have good gear for it (despite living in south Florida)- so am really looking forward to it for that and so many other reasons. I also wanted to have the more “days of old” experience with perhaps less people and definitely do not want to reserve much of anything in advance- so picked the time of year with that in mind as well. Really appreciate your experience (and the kit list!) - settles my mind that this is right when I should be going. Gracias para todo!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Gini,
Good to hear from someone that will also be on the camino this time of the year.
I'll be there too, starting a little later thank you. Planning on start walking from Pamplona on Oct 17th.
In 2017 I did the Camino Frances in April and was incredible, this time I'm planning for a little cold weather and rain. Just like you, I like cold weather although I'm from Brazil.
Have a great camino and if you need anything I'll be nearby.
Buen camino!

Hi Gini,
Good to hear from someone that will also be on the camino this time of the year.
I'll be there too, starting a little later thank you. Planning on start walking from Pamplona on Oct 17th.
In 2017 I did the Camino Frances in April and was incredible, this time I'm planning for a little cold weather and rain. Just like you, I like cold weather although I'm from Brazil.
Have a great camino and if you need anything I'll be nearby.
Buen camino!
I was wondering if there were any other October people out there. Can't wait! Buen Camino to you as well!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.