• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Paris to St Jean Pied de Port

Wazza

Time of past OR future Camino
de Frances 2017. Finisterre 2017
My wife and I (we're in the late 60's) are planning on walking the Camino de Frances in September.
Current plan is to spend a few days in Paris then take a train down to St Jean
I understand there are direct trains to St Jean- could you give me some advice on this train journey as our objective is to see as much as the countryside as possible. Thankyou

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take SNCF train from Paris Gare Montparnasse, CDG 2, Gare d'Austerlitz (intercites only), or Massy TGV to Bayonne. There is often a 10 minute transfer involved at Bordeaux, sometimes at Dax too. Train terminates in Irun/Hendaye.

Then take SNCF TER train (service currently by bus) from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

A reservation is required prior to boarding TGV and Intercites trains. You can get reservations at the station. No reservation is possible for TER (commuter) trains.

If you try to buy in advance just buy the section from Paris to Bayonne. The current system of bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP is causing issues with online purchase. Buy via SNCF website.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My wife and I (we're in the late 60's) are planning on walking the Camino de Frances in September.
Current plan is to spend a few days in Paris then take a train down to St Jean
I understand there are direct trains to St Jean- could you give me some advice on this train journey as our objective is to see as much as the countryside as possible. Thankyou
Take SNCF train from Paris Gare Montparnasse, CDG 2, Gare d'Austerlitz (intercites only), or Massy TGV to Bayonne. There is often a 10 minute transfer involved at Bordeaux, sometimes at Dax too. Train terminates in Irun/Hendaye.

Then take SNCF TER train (service currently by bus) from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

A reservation is required prior to boarding TGV and Intercites trains. You can get reservations at the station. No reservation is possible for TER (commuter) trains.

If you try to buy in advance just buy the section from Paris to Bayonne. The current system of bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP is causing issues with online purchase. Buy via SNCF website.

Hi Wazza
I am also spending a couple of days in Paris in September and planned to take the train to Bayonne and then onto SJPDP. Like you my hope was to enjoy the countryside. Now I'm considering using a bus after someone on the forum mentioned that the speed of the train means you dont see anything. I haven't either yet. I eould be interested in comments regarding buses from Paris.

Hi Wazza
I am also spending a couple of days in Paris in September and planned to take the train to Bayonne and then onto SJPDP. Like you my hope was to enjoy the countryside. Now I'm considering using a bus after someone on the forum mentioned that the speed of the train means you dont see anything. I haven't either yet. I eould be interested in comments regarding buses from Paris.

My wife and I are doing the Camino in May, starting next week, and we are taking Ouibus from Paris to Bayonne. It an over night train and gets you to Bayonne at 8:30 am. There were other bus options but this one suited us best! It was fairly affordable as well. Another good bus company is FlixBus.

Hope this helps

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Wazza

Two companies that I am aware of provide bus service from Paris to Bayonne. Its much cheaper and much slower as the train ... Eurolines is overnight so you 'save' on accommodations ... if you can get a good night sleep in a seat on a moving bus.

Flixbus

Eurolines

If your plan is to 'see' stuff ... you might consider to start your camino in Paris. Chemin de Paris.

Hi Wazza
Kinnear, for whatever it's worth, I loved the newer iDTGV service - they're designated cars within the TGVs and you can choose to be in a Zen car (where you can hear a pin drop - very relaxing) or a Zap car (for people who want to chat with their friends and be on their phones). The scenery was pleasant, but not anything you'd need to go slowly to appreciate on the route down to Bayonne. Had a wonderful time in Paris both before and after and stayed at Hotel Delambre (very nice staff) in Montparnasse, which is reasonably priced for Paris, and an easy 3 blocks to Gare Montparnasse.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does anyone knowns the train service Bayonne /St Jean will be reinstated?
Bob, I don't know, but when it was out a few years ago, they had a bus that was designated to take over for the train service (it was part of the booking to SJPP) and people just went straight to the bus from the train. Bayonne's station is very small.

Does anyone knowns the train service Bayonne /St Jean will be reinstated?

Due to current repairs on the train line there is now a substitute bus/autocar for TER 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP which is provided by the rr at the same price and same times of the usual TER local line 62 train. This special bus departs from the front of the train station/Gare SNCF. Buy your ticket inside the rr station. There are NO reserved seats; seating is open as on a tram or metro.
The repairs are planned to be finished by 12 May.

Good luck and Bon voyage!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back