• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Perth Australia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That will really depend on the airline you select to fly out of Perth.

More than likely you are going to travel through Singapore or Bangkok or Kl and then on to Europe arriving in either Amsterdam, Paris or Frankfurt for example.

Probably the most affordable airline would be KLM/Air France which means you will want to arrive ideally in Paris

Last edited:
Hi Sally, I'm walking the Camino in August and am flying into Paris then either fly on one of the cheap airlines Easy jet or Ryanair (I cant remember which one does it) to Biarritz or train down. I use the Rome2rio website to help plan routes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome Sally
Choice of destination city will depend on where you're starting your Camino. Paris or Madrid seem to be the two most popular options.

Then you need to choose an airline. Not sure of who flies out of Perth but here in Adelaide I tend to make my choice by how long I plan for the first leg. Qantas, Etihad, Emirates & Qatar transit through the Middle East so the flight into your destination is shorter. Singapore, Malayasia & Cathay Pacific all go through their transit hubs so that their first leg is the shortest.

I'm sure that the WA forum members will be able to help you further.

PS there's a meeting in Perth next week if you're interested:
Reminder: This is for anyone interested in the Camino de Santiago, just to let you know that our next monthly get-together at Botanicals Cafe in Kings Park, is on 26 June 2016 from 0900 onwards.
If you are in town, please feel free to come along & join in and tell us your Camino plans or share your Camino stories.
We will be the noisy/lively bunch at the back of the Cafe.

Hi, I'm travelling from Perth Australia and am wondering what city to fly in to and out of? Tia
Lucky, I've flown with Qantas in the past, Perth - Dubai - Madrid. Train direct from airport (C1! from memory) to Madrid Atocha then Atocha to Pamplona walk into Pamplona stay at Aloha Hostel or anywhere; catch ALSA to SJPdP next afternoon. Go straight to Camino office pick up credential meet heaps of people go to Albergue - Muni or where ever you have booked

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
SJPdP is reached by SNCF train from Bayonne or CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona.

The closest airport is Biarritz BIQ and it is connected to Gare Bayonne by Chronoplus urban bus. Biarritz has flights to many major centers in Europe including London, Dublin, Paris, and Madrid. See the website for details.

Bayonne is well connected to the rest of France by SNCF rail. Many people connect from Paris CDG where there is a train station. The train network connects to Spain's Renfe trains at Irun/Hendaye. San Sebastian Airport EAS is located at Irun with flights to Madrid and Barcelona.

Pamplona is connected to Madrid Atocha and Barcelona Sants by Renfe train. ALSA provides bus service from Madrid via Soria and from Barcelona via Zaragosa. Monbus provides bus service from Barcelona Sants. Pamplona has an airport PNA with flights to Madrid.

Homeward bound, Santiago is connected to Madrid and the rest of Spain by ALSA bus and Renfe train. Santiago has an airport SCQ with flights to Madrid, Barcelona, London, and sometimes Paris. Santiago is connected to Porto and Lisboa by Renfe and CP trains and Monbus and Autna buses via Vigo.

Biarritz
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Aena manages Spains Airports including Madrid, Barcelona, and Santiago.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/aeropuertos/en/Airports.html

ANA manages Portugals Airports
http://www.ana.pt/en-US/Pages/Homepage.aspx

Paris (CDG and Orly)
http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

CP
https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/pt

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en/home

Monbus
http://www.monbus.es/es

So the decision on where to invade Europe is usually based on cost and schedule. Its easy to get around in Europe ... everything is well connected by public transport.

After an itinerary like Con Palos points out to get halfway around the globe, from Perth to St. Jean Pied de Port (correctly, I might add) you should consider a couple of days lay-over at St. Jean Pied de Port BEFORE starting out on your Camino.

Clearly, you will be very tired from the journey, NOT to mention jet lagged.

I always stay two nights in reserved lodgings at St. Jean PdP before starting from there. There are lots of places to choose from. Try www.booking.com.

You could, of course, do it as he suggests. I merely offer a different approach. You might even get as far as Pamplona the first day (actually the second from Perth), then take the bus back to France, and spend another night at St. Jean PdP before starting.

This town has been sending pilgrims on their way towards Santiago for more than one thousand years.

I hope this helps.

Hi Sally Pearce! Welcome to the forum!

IMHO, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris and London would be good arriving and exiting points for you although your travel date may make a difference because some flights and overland transport is just seasonal.

Regarding airlines, Emirates, Qatar Airways and Etihad Airways fly from Perth to Madrid changing planes in their hubs. To Paris you have a greater choice of airlines. In addition to the already quoted ones, you have Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways, China Southern Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Air Mauritius; all of them changing planes in their hub. In the case of London, you have the same airlines than to Paris plus South African Airways and Malaysian Airlines. In the case of Barcelona, Emirates, Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines. You may also look for fares of airlines codesharing flights like, for example, Air France to Paris or British Airways to London. Not all the airlines I quoted fly the route(s) daily and some of them involve a long time between flights at their hub and/or two changes of planes along the route in one of the directions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I have done the trip twice from Melbourne went via KL to Paris train at Paris airport to the south connect at Bayonne (bus or train) spent two nights to recover and then started walk. This year I am going via Hong Kong to Madrid as I an starting in Valencia. The trip from Paris takes about 5 hours so add that to you flying time and you will need a break before starting. remember its not a race and a lot I mean a lot break down in that first week. Buen Camino

Last 3 Caminos from Perth ,Qatar Airline to Barcelona then,after two nights rest, train to Pamplona and bus to St Jean or Roncesvalles. on my first I flew to Paris then train from CDairport to Bairritz ,overnight in Bayonne and early train to St Jean.Never again,that was so exhausting after the long flight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Our meetings are held at Botanicals cafe in Kings Park on the last Sunday in the month at 9am onwards.
Next Sunday,come and meet other camino tragics. :)
Heather

Our meetings are held at Botanicals cafe in Kings Park on the last Sunday in the month at 9am onwards.
Heather
Do you mean every Sunday of the year? If I find myself in P on a Sunday I'd love to come.
On the VdlP right now. VILLAFRANCA.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Sally, we are from Geraldton and
travelling May 2017. We are using Cathay via Hong Kong. Only doing Leon to Santiago so we catch a train into Leon.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back