• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Santiago to Ferrol

Wandering Taff

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2024
Hi everyone.

I have finally started planning our Camino next year (mid September) We plan to do the Ingles over 9 days taking it easy and soaking up some of the little towns along the way. We are then travelling down to Calp for our annual dancing holiday (more questions related to that on another forum maybe).

The plan is to fly into Santiago airport on the Saturday and travel up to Ferrol on the Sunday. Has anyone got any experience of this? I'm wondering what the best mode of transport is. I have tried to look ahead at the schedule but it doesn't appear to be published yet. I'm going to assume there are plenty of options.

Thanks in advance,

WT

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buses would be the main choice. There is a convolute rail route which involves taking the train -

Santiago/A Coruña then A Coruña/Betanzos (a really grim unmanned station) then Betanzos/Ferrol.

@Wandering Taff , I used the bus as suggested above. Runs from the central bus station in Santiago. Pre purchase your tickets on Flixbus or similar. It's a fairly popular route.
Bus to Ferrol was an hour and a half and a very pleasant trip. I think €8.00? Drops you right in the heart of town.
Do try and leave yourself time to explore Ferrol, it's a very pleasant town.
Loved the Inglès, enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Wandering Taff , I used the bus as suggested above. Runs from the central bus station in Santiago. Pre purchase your tickets on Flixbus or similar. It's a fairly popular route.
Bus to Ferrol was an hour and a half and a very pleasant trip. I think €8.00? Drops you right in the heart of town.
Do try and leave yourself time to explore Ferrol, it's a very pleasant town.
Loved the Inglès, enjoy!
Thanks Peter,

We're really hoping it's possible to get straight to Ferrol on the day we arrive, that will give us a little of Saturday and the whole of Sunday there and we start our Camino on the Monday. I'll wait until the schedules have been published and see if we can swing it that way.

Thanks Peter,

We're really hoping it's possible to get straight to Ferrol on the day we arrive, that will give us a little of Saturday and the whole of Sunday there and we start our Camino on the Monday. I'll wait until the schedules have been published and see if we can swing it that way.
In which case you'll need either the bus or a taxi from the airport to the central bus station. The bus to town takes around an hour and costs just one euro, but isn't as frequent as it could be. When I went to do exactly the same as you the bus schedules didn't work for me, so I took a taxi - €25 inc. tip ( which isn't necessary but I like to give). 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic. Quite a good cafe (with terrace) , toilets etc upstairs at the bus station, plus a couple of snack machines downstairs where the buses leave from.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A Coruna has an airport and according to Aena there are direct flights from Gatwick

There are buses to Ferrol from there

Thanks for the reply. Looking at it, it seems cheaper and just as quick to fly to Santiago. We'd also like our luggage stored there so will also save on shipping the luggage from A Coruna. Thanks for the alternative suggestion though!

I took the bus from Santiago and my walking buddy flew into ACouruna both plans worked well.

Thanks Peter,

Timetables don’t usually change much. Slightly increased frequency in summer is the usual.

If you know what day of the week you’ll be traveling just look at the schedules for that day next week. Good enough for planning possibilities 😉

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last March I took a train direct from Santiago to Ferrol. By "direct" I mean that I didn't have to switch trains, but it did make a few stops along the way. Looking at the old email, departed Santiago at at11:22 arrived in Ferrol t 13:12.

I took the train last September and loved the comfort and the views of the passing towns . Yes it goes to A Coruna first and then on to Ferrol but was overall fast and comfortable. I walked from the station to my accommodation in town .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last March I took a train direct from Santiago to Ferrol. By "direct" I mean that I didn't have to switch trains, but it did make a few stops along the way. Looking at the old email, departed Santiago at at11:22 arrived in Ferrol t 13:12.
We also took the same train time from Santiago to Ferrol in July 2022, no changes and a good journey. Got help at the station in Ferrol to call a taxi to our accommodation. Definitely worth spending a day to explore Ferrol.
Buen Camino.

I have also travelled by train from Santiago to Ferrol - twice, once in 2018 and again in 2022 - and really enjoyed the train trips. The trains I took stopped in A Coruña. The views from the train windows between A Coruña and Ferrol were superb.

Hi everyone.

I have finally started planning our Camino next year (mid September) We plan to do the Ingles over 9 days taking it easy and soaking up some of the little towns along the way. We are then travelling down to Calp for our annual dancing holiday (more questions related to that on another forum maybe).

The plan is to fly into Santiago airport on the Saturday and travel up to Ferrol on the Sunday. Has anyone got any experience of this? I'm wondering what the best mode of transport is. I have tried to look ahead at the schedule but it doesn't appear to be published yet. I'm going to assume there are plenty of options.

Thanks in advance,

WT
I caught the train to Ferrol in June. It went via Coruna but we did not need to change trains. Very quick and easy.
It is a lovely camino and 9 days should be very easy. However, there are some days when you will need to walk 20klms because of accommodation availability.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I caught the train to Ferrol in June. It went via Coruna but we did not need to change trains. Very quick and easy.
It is a lovely camino and 9 days should be very easy. However, there are some days when you will need to walk 20klms because of accommodation availability.
Not necessarily. The forums own amazing @Elle Bieling researched, wrote and published this excellent guide in I think 2022. https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-ingles.html .
I haven't double checked the accommodation options, but at the time of writing it was possible to break the Inglés down into nine days with a maximum length of 16 kilometers ( and that day, the last, can also be split into two days creating a 10-day camino with very short distances).
Bearing in mind that more and more people are walking this Camino, it is possible that even more options have since opened.

20km isn't an issue. We just didn't want to walk 25km+ everyday. Thanks for the reply Jimmy.

Not necessarily. The forums own amazing @Elle Bieling researched, wrote and published this excellent guide in I think 2022. https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-ingles.html .
I haven't double checked the accommodation options, but at the time of writing it was possible to break the Inglés down into nine days with a maximum length of 16 kilometers ( and that day, the last, can also be split into two days creating a 10-day camino with very short distances).
Bearing in mind that more and more people are walking this Camino, it is possible that even more options have since opened.
Thanks again, Pete. We'll probably do 1 or 2 longer days anyway as we hope to spend an extra day in one of the towns along the way, not sure which one, I'll have to do some more research to see where is worth spending an extra day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buses would be the main choice. There is a convolute rail route which involves taking the train -

Santiago/A Coruña then A Coruña/Betanzos (a really grim unmanned station) then Betanzos/Ferrol.
There is a direct train as well. We took the train from Santiago to Ferrol on a direct Renfe and walked to Santiago. Afterwards we returned to Ferrol by bus before taking off on the FEVE across the northern coast. Both were fine, but I prefer trains.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back