• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Travelling light July: sleeping bag? Or will a bag liner do?

Time of past OR future Camino
30 March 2017
Hi 7 of us are travelling from SdC to Finisterre in late July/early August 2018. We would prefer to avoid carrying too much gear. Is a sleeping bag necessary in your experience? Will we be warm enough with a liner? Obviously we can do a 5 day weather forecast before we set off. I just wondered what a Wise Pilgrim would recommend?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We're doing it at the moment with a double bed sheet folded in half, half for sleeping on and half for being covered over. So I would say a bag liner is fine X

No one can tell you for sure what the eather will be like but more than likely a sleeping bag is not necessary. You can always sleep with your clothes on if there is a cool night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Martin Moorman , kia ora (greetings)

How does you weather at you home now compare to north-west Spain now.

At your home now would you use a silk bag liner?

Following @Marbe2 , you have an answer!

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

I walked the CF late May/June from SJPP with just a silk liner. Also the Portuguese from Lisbon around the same months. No problem with either without a sleeping bag. Some albergues have blankets and you can also wear extra clothes if it gets cool.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just got back from CF and Ingles with just a liner - the nights have often been a significantly chillier than my experience last year, and not every albergue has blankets available. I was fine with just the liner and at times just wore more clothes at night, but the women I was travelling with are more sensitive to the cold than me, and wouldn't have been comfortable without a sleeping bag...so the answer probably depends on how sensitive you are to cold in general.