• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking Pole Use

almhath

Hi all again,

I've been practicing with my trekking poles. I think they're fine, but I'm told I'm to use them opposite hand to foot, each time the opposite foot hits the ground.

And I can do that.

But at my walking pace, it seems I'm rather fighting the poles to get them to keep up, using a lot of wrist strength to get that pole tip up there and planted when the foot plants.

It seems more natural to me to let the poles drift at a slower pace than the feet, which seems to be about every couple of steps or so.

I would be very interested in the views of our more experienced trekkers.

Thank you

Almha

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Almha,
If you are "letting your poles drift" as you say, I think that they are being more ornamental than useful.
They need to make contact with the ground well in advance of you so that they take your weight and ease the weight off your knees. Maybe someone else can explain it better.
Buen Camino

almhath said:
Hi all again,

I've been practicing with my trekking poles. I think they're fine, but I'm told I'm to use them opposite hand to foot, each time the opposite foot hits the ground.

And I can do that.

But at my walking pace, it seems I'm rather fighting the poles to get them to keep up, using a lot of wrist strength to get that pole tip up there and planted when the foot plants.

It seems more natural to me to let the poles drift at a slower pace than the feet, which seems to be about every couple of steps or so.

I would be very interested in the views of our more experienced trekkers.

Thank you

Almha

Hi Almha,
Yes Lydia is right, it's really just practice practice, but once you've got you'll be very pleased!

I guess you you are not using pacerpoles; however their vids etc will help;
http://www.pacerpole.com/pacerpole-user-guide
In my previous poles, getting the strap the right tension was pretty important. The pole should always be coming away from back foot as in vid, & hit the ground first coming down a slope, therefore making/taking. Then it will feel like you've got 4 legs or is that 2pairs :)
You'll get confident then over confident and think you're walking on your arms so have to find a happy medium, your knees & ankles & hips will thank you.

If your wrists start hurting, then you're overdoing it, funny bit is the more you think about it, the harder it gets.

Good Luck
David

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hardly anyone uses trekking poles correctly. They are certainly not required for traversing the streets of Santiago.
If you want to use them, learn how to use them effectively.
I don't use them.
Maybe I should

You will be slapping your feet down over 50,000 times per day for a month. Give them a break (and your knees) by taking a little impact off them each step.

One pole plant per step. It will become natural. After a face-plant with full pack, you will become a believer, so it might be worthwhile to use them without first experiencing the face-plant.

Hola Ahlma,
Maybe like us you are a single (wooden) stick user. Walking poles are not for everybody.
Our sticks were bought extra long and cut to our individual length (wearing boots hold arm from the elbow at right angles from the body with hand where you are happy holding the stick) then cut to just over long. Replace end rubber. Adjust final length after walking, remembering that what is cut off cannot be put back :) so be cautious.
One advantage of a strong stick is that it will take your full weight if you have to lean hard on it for any reason. Ours have a curved top, like a shepherds crook and we hold them on the straight, under the curve.
Perhaps you could try walking with a single pole and use it as you feel happy.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is nothing wrong with a stave, but it takes two trekking poles used properly in order to get the stress reduction on your feet, ankles, and knees. Two poles weigh less than half one wooden stave. The stave is indeed a cooler look for a pilgrim, as would be a hat with a scallop shell on it. Form over function can be a reasonable choice; just know you are making it. Don't forget the bourdon.

I have noted the comments with interest. I am planning to walk the last 100kms iSarria to Santiago in spring or fall 2012, my luggage and accommodations being looked after. I will be a solo walker (no guide or group) and will do this over ten days.

I walk about an hour a day (city walking) and can do more and will be walking in small, do-able increments (2.5-4 hrs. a day max.). I will be just short of/or just over 80 when I walk, arthritis in hands and feet along with two very good knee replacements. I have hand splints, orthotics and good knees and the spirit is willing. i tell myself not to overrate my ability and my knees tell me not to overuse them by extensive training. I'm aware many have walked with more difficult physical difficulties.

You have provided information on this product that tells me walking poles will be good for me. I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and will be looking into them. If there is any other advice you'd like to give me on these poles or other items such as good, soft leather walking boots I will be interested in hearing from experienced walkers. I know there is a lot of info on these subjects available but I am interested in hearing what you have to say on boots if you have the time and can email me.

Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry Falcon, we'll stick to our walking stick. Not because it looks 'cool' but because it suits us best. Others may prefer the 2 poles but many of us are happier with an aternative. As ever a personal choice - but good to air all the possibilities.

Koby, at age 80, is likely to need something that actually aids in reducing impact on the lower extremities. As always, personal choices rule the roost, but for efficacy as a walking aid, trekking poles are scientifically proven, while the stave, which I used for decades in Scouting, has the single benefit of aiding balance on one side. It does absolutely nothing to change stresses on the knees and ankles. Everyone gets his own opinion, but he does not get his own facts. Trekking poles sustain mobility on long walks; a stave holds a bourdon nicely. A friend who is an orthopedist opined that it would be malpractice for him to recommend a stave over trekking poles for someone needing a walking aid. No one should take trekking poles if he does not choose to do so. Ditto the stave.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am bringing my poles. I'll be landing in Madrid March 29 and hope to start at SJPP April 1. My collapsed poles are longer than my backpack. Since the poles have no sharp points, I am hoping that American airport security would let me carry them on the plane. Buen Camino. -Hieu

It is not certain, but it is likely that they will not allow the poles in the cabin. Be prepared to check them as baggage.

I took my poles which I used to train with back in the States. On about day 3 I was taking a little break and as I sat there, I read something on my poles which said something to the effect: "Burns up to 40% more calories – great for weight loss". I decided I didn't really want to burn more calories everyday while I was out there. I just kinda put 'em away and did just fine without them most of the rest of the way. Didn't fall down once. It's all about personal preference, I guess. Sometimes the stuff the think you gotta have, you just don't need.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Use the poles in the fashion they feel most comfortable to you at that time, on that day, on that surface. On a good day when nothings hurts, put them on your backpack. When you anticipate a difficult day of hills or rough ground, use them for every other step. When something is not feeling the best, use them for each step, letting them move forward as the opposite leg moves back. Most often, that is the better way and will feel most natural.

Even when you don't think they are a benefit, you will find you are less tired and less sore at the end of the days that you did use them.

Koby, Good Luck,
If you do choose Pacerpoles
http://www.pacerpole.com/buy-poles/buy-pacerpoles
Let us know & will try to help getting used to them, they will help lots!

Your boots: you need to go to good boot shop & spend over an hour getting 'fitted'
Socks- inner sole -boot

Here people recommend 1000mile socks - no blisters

Don't buy till you are 'over-the-moon', ask if you can walk around in your house after buying & still bring them back, we can here in Eng'.........

Please keep talking to us :)

David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,
I sympathise with your frustration. I got a Christmas present of poles from my brother-in-law and felt like a 'right eejit' using them in public (it didn't help that other family members said I looked like "an inebriated praying mantis with knitting needles") but my goodness I am so glad he 'insisted I persisted'.
Getting the right pole length and using the strap correctly really helps (there are lots of youtube clips showing you these techniques)
For length adjust the pole so that the handle is the same height as your hand with your arm in an L position-your forearm parallel to the ground. Remember to shorten pole length when ascending, lengthen when descending and when walking on sheep tracks along the shoulder of a hill keep one shorter and one longer!)
Though I do get annoyed at having to strap them onto my pack, get them through security, keep an eye on them outside cafes and listen to that irritating little tapping noise I make on hard ground (even with rubber tips) I wouldn't have been able to attempt, let alone complete the CF, and subsequent jakobswegs without my poles.

Almha:

Poles likes footwear should be purchased at a good outdoor store where one can get properly fitted. Most good Outdoor stores have service representatives with experience and are very helpful in discussing the pluses and minuses of different gear. Once you have decided on your gear break it in properly.

I personally think poles and staffs are just one more thing to lose, extra weight and sometimes an air travel issue. That said, I think they are very helpful to those who have knee issues.

Ultreya,
Joe

hieudovan said:
I am bringing my poles. I'll be landing in Madrid March 29 and hope to start at SJPP April 1. My collapsed poles are longer than my backpack. Since the poles have no sharp points, I am hoping that American airport security would let me carry them on the plane. Buen Camino. -Hieu
You wish..... :D See many other posts on the subject of taking poles as cabin baggage....
Falcon has previously posted the US security rules on this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I won't get into the debate over whether poles are help or hindrance, but I have used poles on every camino and have lots of experience with TSA at the airport. The TSA rules don't speak specifically about hiking poles. Ski poles are prohibited and walking aids are permitted, so it's up to the discretion of the individual agent. That's why people will give you different answers to the question whether hiking poles can be carried on, because it just depends on the luck of the draw. I have gotten them through, but I have also been told I couldn't bring them on. For the risk averse, checking them is a better option, and since I always carry on my pack, there is no checked luggage charge on most major carriers (you still usually get one free piece on international flights).

I've used two different techniques to check them (and I stick my swiss army knife and little scissors in as well). One is to check them in a cardboard tube, which you discard upon arrival and have to purchase another before you leave. My preferred option is more complicated. I put my collapsed poles into a duffel bag, and check it. The only things in the bag are a collapsed sturdy box, some packing tape, and my poles/knife/scissors. Upon arrival in Spain, I re-make the box, fold up my duffel, and send it via Correos to my hotel in Santiago. That means that for the return trip, I have plenty of space to pack up olive oil (in plastic 3L or 4L jugs, have never had a problem); fabas and other beans, pimenton, saffron, you get the idea.

Buen camino, Laurie

A good way to guarantee a bad start to your trip is to plan on quibbling with TSA. The TSA rules ban ski poles. They permit canes for the disabled. They do not mention hiking or trekking poles. So the quibble will be whether your poles are canes, or permitted because the rules have not specifically banned hiking poles, and, while they look like ski poles, they ARE NOT, or that you are disabled and about to walk 450 miles with a cane.

Good luck winning that one! I prefer to check my pack, and it never has been lost or delayed.

Luis, the one-legged pilgrim, had no problem taking his crutches on the plane, so you can be "disabled" and still walk the camino. Travelers have had good luck with dismantled trekking poles that are inside carry-on packs. It is the pointed tip that is worrisome, so rubber tips are recommended if you have interchangeable tips. Put the metal tips in your bath kit, and they are not banned.

Gel insoles are on the banned list, so if you are using aftermarket gel boot inserts, you may have to check your boots, or at least the insoles.

It is not just the TSA rules that are important. Each airline makes its own rules, which have the same force of law as the TSA rules. If your specific airline bans trekking poles, and many do, then your quibble will need to include the airline rules as well. Since airlines seem to prefer the lie to the truth, even when the truth would serve them better, I am not personally optimistic about quibbling with the airline. They can put you on the no-fly list as fast as TSA can.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you all for the info. I too do not like to take chances at the airport. Since my backpack might be "questionable" regarding size for carry on, my current plan is to pack my poles and backpack in a cardboard box to be checked in. I will discard the box at the Madrid airport. When it's time to return, I'll get another cardboard box in Madrid for the flight home (Any idea about where to get one? In the U.S. I can get them at grocery stores). Given the airport security issues, I'll be taking the bus from Madrid to Pamplona, on my way to SJPP. I assume that trekking poles are permitted on buses and trains in Spain? Thanks again for all the info. This forum has been very helpful. Buen Camino. -Hieu

hieudovan said:
Thank you all for the info. I too do not like to take chances at the airport. Since my backpack might be "questionable" regarding size for carry on, my current plan is to pack my poles and backpack in a cardboard box to be checked in. I will discard the box at the Madrid airport. When it's time to return, I'll get another cardboard box in Madrid for the flight home (Any idea about where to get one? In the U.S. I can get them at grocery stores). Given the airport security issues, I'll be taking the bus from Madrid to Pamplona, on my way to SJPP. I assume that trekking poles are permitted on buses and trains in Spain? Thanks again for all the info. This forum has been very helpful. Buen Camino. -Hieu

Hi,
Yes poles are allowed on buses in the luggage compartments which are out of view (I always get out and check my stuff when the bus stops at big towns/cities en route) and on trains where the luggage storage is generally in view.
I'm wondering has anyone checking their pack in tried getting it wrapped up by one of those giant cling film security machines (the idea is once wrapped no one can tamper with your pack/bag undetected)? This service is available in many European airports though I don't know about the U.S
Nell

We did, in Madrid but that was about ten years ago. We were novices and were worried about all the straps on our packs. No problems encountered (but it's the devil to get off), but I don't know about how it works now. It's kind of like wrapping Christmas presents and taking them across the border. Roll of the dice.

lynne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Flying from San Francisco, I had my disassembled hiking pole in an outside pocket of my pack, with the two pieces cable tied together. I was able to carry the pack on all the way to Pamplona. The only time it was refused was leaving Santiago, where I had to check the pack all the way home.

Has anyone actually had their gel insoles confiscated? I know (now) that they are on the banned list, but I can't remember if I was using the insoles last time I was on the camino. If I have my boots exactly the way I want them I would hate to start over!

Suzanne

Plastic wrapping is available at Paris (CDG) and Barcelona airports but I haven't seen it at London (Heathrow). At Barcelona it cost me 6.50 Euro, but I didn't bother at Paris as I have locks on the main fastener buckles on my backpack. My backpack is 34 litre Bergaus, and with a squeeze I was able to fit my poles inside the pack. David

There has been a great deal of useful information on this site regarding walking poles, and I do not intend to get involved in discussion about whether to use them or not, except to say that I have used them on my Caminos and found them invaluable, but then I am a very senior citizen.
Pacerpoles are walking poles made by Pacerpole company in England (I believe) and have a unique design of handle grip which differs from most designs. The most common design is produced by Leki, a European company, and Black Diamond is another design. Then there are Nordic poles, which are still walking poles. The main differences are in the design of the handles, and the telescoping design. It is best to Google 'walking poles' or 'pacerpoles' to get an idea of the various designs, and to visit outdoor gear shops and try out the poles and get the advice of the assistant.
Helinox (http://www.helinox.com.au) also have a guide to the use of trekking poles which you can download from the web site.
Finally, if you are Australian, buy poles in France or Spain if possible. If you PM me, I have the names of 2 large outgear shops in Barcelona. Prices will be at least half of those in Australia. David

lynnejohn said:
We did, in Madrid but that was about ten years ago. We were novices and were worried about all the straps on our packs. No problems encountered (but it's the devil to get off)
lynne

Thanks lynne as I can't manage to unwrap a 'clingfilmed' sandwich without resorting to expletives :shock: maybe I'd better just stay away from the industrial version of the stuff :lol:

falcon269 said:
It is not certain, but it is likely that they will not allow the poles in the cabin. Be prepared to check them as baggage.
>
>
On two occasions our poles were confiscated at airport security checks. On one occasion we sent them as luggage and they arrived broken.
We now dismantle the sticks and fit them into registered luggage.
Walking sticks for seniors are supposed to be allowed aboard a plane, yet not always without hassle at security.

Lydia Gillen said:
Hi Almha,
If you are "letting your poles drift" as you say, I think that they are being more ornamental than useful.

I've used poles all my life, cross country skiing. There are many different ways to use them. I frequently double pole with them. allowing you to really lean on them, just like a skier does in some strides. One pole-one foot is much weaker. I'd say whatever works for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
allowing you to really lean on them
Pole use in skiing provides forward momentum. That is rarely necessary in walking. The primary benefit of trekking poles is the reduction of stress on knees and ankles. That occurs only when there is a pole plant for every step, thus cushioning the impact. I wave, twirl, and syncopate my poles just for the fun of it, but I don't mistake those for actual benefits. It is more my inner-child coming out, like Joost gamboling down the path.

falcon269 said:
The primary benefit of trekking poles is the reduction of stress on knees and ankles. That occurs only when there is a pole plant for every step, thus cushioning the impact. I wave, twirl, and syncopate my poles just for the fun of it, but I don't mistake those for actual benefits. It is more my inner-child coming out, like Joost gamboling down the path.

A syncopate-ing poler, you're going to stand out from the crowd then :lol:

all I can say unless you've tried pacerpoles you'll never really know other benefits
& going up-hill can be a real tonic esp. if you've got an once of strength in your arms/shoulders etc :)

I have recently completed a course in Nordic pole walking - like sking without skis. It was quite strenuous, not how I would walk on camino, carrying a pack and all. On camino I took a single pole, left it behind by mistake on day 3, and got on better without it.As has been said, horses for courses.
I am tempted by the pacer poles, but would be glad to hear more camino-related experiences with them....

I have three caminos with Pacer Poles, three with anti-shock trekking poles (one with the Leki removable wrist straps), and one with fixed trekking poles. The Pacer Poles are my favorite. I was able to get the same boost up hills with regular trekking poles, but the grip handle on the Pacers is simply more comfortable than wrist straps on the others. Gloves are more compatible with Pacer Poles than wrist straps. And the poles hang nicely around the neck when you need both hands free.

falcon269 said:
allowing you to really lean on them
Pole use in skiing provides forward momentum. That is rarely necessary in walking. The primary benefit of trekking poles is the reduction of stress on knees and ankles.

I'll agree that the benefit is in taking off weight, not forward push, but double plants pole are far stronger than single plants in either case, and easier on the back, because it does not inpart a twist. Like the timing of a walking stick, you can plant, take several few light steps aided by the poles, then one step without the weight on the poles while you reach forward. Works great on uphills. Mix that up with syncopated plants and you'll be happier than trying to adhere to one "right way" to walk.

We can always go with the three-legged waltz option for trekking pole usage:
We can find Tchaikovsky experimenting with asymmetry in his sixth Symphony. Do you remember the famous second movement, a sort of three-legged waltz in five-quarter time? This is a really new wrinkle: five beats per bar. 12345, 12345. Or, if you wish, 12,123 – 12,123; again that asymmetrical juxtaposition of 2 and 3. But Tchaikovsky is also stuck in his century. This music is still bound by the old duple conventions, which require that each bar of five, irregular though it may be within itself, must be symmetrically balanced by another identical bar of five. And this convention holds true right to the end of the movement, in strict accordance with the time-honored formula of pairs of pairs or pairs. Besides, and more important, the structure within the five-beat bar never varies: it is always 2 plus 3, never 3 plus 2. Leonard Bernstein
"Mars" in Holst's "Planets" Suite is in 5/4 - but you'd hardly describe that as a waltz! 5/4 seems to be used sometimes in sci-fi pics to show the baddies marching into action - as if you could march to 5/4 (perhaps you can if you've got 5 pairs of legs).

And 5/4 can really swing if you give it a chance - Brubeck's "Take Five" is the prime example.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
almhath said:
Looking all this over, I think the pacer poles might work well for me, so I've ordered a set. :)

Almha

Well done, you'll be amazed the first time you put them in your hands :)
Give yourself plenty of time to get used to them(weeks not days), as they say 'walk tall',
I didn't believe it, thought i knew better, but i didn't :lol:, so correct height is pretty important.

David. I am totally confused how PMs work. A reply has been sitting in my drafts for a few days. Asked Ivar for help but it hasn't worked. I appreciate your encouragement and will try to figure this out unless you can step me through the process from when one receives a pm, how to pick it up and how to reply. Thanks. koby

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
koby said:
David. I am totally confused how PMs work. A reply has been sitting in my drafts for a few days. Asked Ivar for help but it hasn't worked. I appreciate your encouragement and will try to figure this out unless you can step me through the process from when one receives a pm, how to pick it up and how to reply. Thanks. koby

Hi Koby, Try this @ top of page you'll see User control panel & next to it is (new messages), click on that, then click on, there you should see whether you have messages or not, click on the heading next to the circle that contains lines, this should bring up the message.
Others may give a better rendition, but that's how I do it. Try it, & let me know, & if you need help try to tell me where, good luck!

I've been reading through the discussion on pole use and had a question. I'm walking the Camino in May (2012) and just starting training with Nordic walking (basically cross country skiing without the skis). After seeing all the posts on using trekking poles (poles in front for support) versus Nordic walking (poles used from behind to propel); I'm thinking Nordic walking may not be suitable.
Thoughts? Advice?

I suppose I could try both methods on the route and see what works best... Nordic walking takes awhile to get used too, but is really great for posture support (which was my intent, so that I'm not leaning forward all day with a huge pack on my back.)

Lscherer said:
I've been reading through the discussion on pole use and had a question. I'm walking the Camino in May (2012) and just starting training with Nordic walking (basically cross country skiing without the skis). After seeing all the posts on using trekking poles (poles in front for support) versus Nordic walking (poles used from behind to propel); I'm thinking Nordic walking may not be suitable.
Thoughts? Advice?

I suppose I could try both methods on the route and see what works best... Nordic walking takes awhile to get used too, but is really great for posture support (which was my intent, so that I'm not leaning forward all day with a huge pack on my back.)
Use Nordic walking as part of your physical preparation, along with any other approach that builds strength and endurance. You might want to intersperse that with other exercise activity, such as trekking in rocky and rough terrain to build up strength in your ankles and knees.

My view is that you are unlikely to use a Nordic walking technique for the whole of the Camino, unless you can sustain it for six to eight hours every day :!: . With a pack you are more likely to benefit from using the poles in a more upright setting, ie more of the force generated by your arms directed downwards than backwards.

If you haven't already bought poles, and you are focussed on the Camino rather than Nordic walking, you might want to consider buying a trekking pole rather than an Nordic walking pole. They can both be used in the other mode, but I think the compromises are fewer using a trekking pole.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with Doug - I did a course in Nordic walking, and found it quite strenuous - more for aerobic exercise rather than hiking with a loaded pack (unless you're training with the SAS :lol: ).
You'd be better off with regular trekking poles IMO.

Hola amigos
A nice short question. Can I buy/pick up/find walking poles at SJPP? Just curious. I too have been a walking stick (big ol' branch off a gum tree) walker for many years, but I am sold on the value of the walking poles and 'doing it properly' and I'm sure my body will appreciate it. Can I teach my 9 year old to cast aside her favourite stick? I wonder. :?:
mucho graci
Regina & Georgia
from Coffs Harbour, Australia
Believing God for the miracle to get us there This Year!!!!!

Direction Compostelle is a hardware/camping shop in St Jean, and will probably stock trekking poles.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hoping one of you pole experts can help me out. I understand the difference between pacer poles and hiking poles, but I don't know what distinguishes "trekking/hiking poles" from "nordic poles." I was under the impression that the "nordic" part had to do with the way you walked, not with the poles themselves, so I must be missing something.

I have used Lekki super makalu poles for years, and love them dearly. I see on Lekki's web page that they are described as "trekking" and not "nordic" poles. In their nordic section, they say:

"These poles are crafted with the same quality materials as our world-famous Ski and Trekking poles, with the specific needs of Nordic Walkers in mind." But they don't really say anything about what those specific needs are.

Is this maybe just a marketing/niche creation kind of thing or are there serious differences?

Thanks, Laurie

I think it is all marketing, but
The six principal variables distinguishing the different Nordic walking styles are (a) the location of the pole plant (from close to the front foot to close to the rear foot), (b) shoulder range of motion (from none to considerable), (c) elbow range of motion (from none to considerable), (d) elbow angle at pole plant (from nearly straight to an angle of 90 degrees or less), and (e) pole grip/strap configuration (from strapless poles, simple loops straps, Velcro slings to the true Nordic style fingerless-glove type straps).
Nordic walking attempts to get the whole body involved for exercise and fitness. Think of it as cross country skiing without the skis. I am more interested in stability, stress reduction on joints, and putting some of the load on my arms.

From http://www.leki.com/nordicWalking/faq.php
Question - What is the difference between Trekking and Nordic Walking?
Answer - Nordic Walking is a specific activity with a steady rhythmic pace. Trekking is a general activity with varied pace, terrain and usually involves added weight such as a day pack or backpack.
Nordic Walking poles are positioned angled back away from the body which allows for push off, creating resistance. Trekking poles are gripped with full palm/finger contact and held in front the body supporting the weight of the hiker.
The straps used on Nordic Walking poles allow for release of the hand from the pole at the end of your stride keeping the hand in place to grasp the pole on the way back to the front of the stride. Trekking pole straps are meant to support weight with full hand contact.
The bottom line is that these are two different activities. It's important to use the proper equipment for each for optimal results and efficiency.

I leave it to you how much to apply the last point! I don't disagree with it, but it seems to be a bit of pressure to buy another set of poles by the company that will benefit from that :|

Regards

Regina & Georgia, If you have an address(SJPP), ask http://www.pacerpole.com/ to send to you, you wont regret it, or get them to post in NSW, Aust. you can watch their videos before going.
Lots of us here use them........they'll teach you to use them properly.
It does take a bit of practise which ever pole you choose. Good Luck.
David

I LOVE walking with my poles... just let them go with your natural stride. The more you use them, the more comfortable you'll feel.

I went through American security traveling... I just put mine down to their shortest length, strapped them to my pack and then covered the whole pack with my rain fly/bag. No problems at all and I even checked them.

Good luck... I think they make walking soooo much easier....if it's walking the Camino or just around your neighborhood.

Nordic poles are generally much lighter than others, and are often one piece. The hand fits into a kind of glove, allowing the grip to be released at the end of the stroke. As stated, they are more suited to brisk exercise rather than steady hiking with a pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you everyone. So much good advice. I'll be 49 if, God willing I get there this year, but I bet most of you 60+'s could give me a run for my money around the block.
I am in love with this walk, the idea of it, the romance of it.... you name it, but this forum gets me back to the guts of it: It's not a romp in the park. Especially if I read some of your blogs, and I watched a lovely video blog called 'The Way' (no, not the movie) and the guy was less than 30 I think and he still came undone a couple of times.
I want to ensure I am as prepared as possible, and I want all the help I can get. The WWW makes that a lot easier for me than for someone say, 800 years ago. I will get my lovely, gorgeous, friendly and honest camping guy to give me the straight talk about sticks and let me try them out for a week or two. He will. He knows I'm funding his new west wing with all my Camino stock.
Cheers
Regina & Georgia
:p

I received Pacer Poles from England within days of ordering (to Canada). In addition to the written instructions are excellent film clip demonstrations and advice on their use http://www.pacerpole.com/ I felt the benefits immediately in relieving stress on knees, feet and hip. The poles accommodate the palm of the hand in such a way as to assist in the thrust necessary to move forward. Pacer Pole people are excellent in following up with individual advice.

This forum has provided me with a lot of help on various subjects for which I am grateful. Thank you.

Koby,
I also have pacer poles, and occasionally was asked to leave them in either an outside barrel or in a barrel near an open alley. In those cases, I refused and moved on.

Unfortunately, there are occasional cases of stolen poles. So my advice is to fold them up and put them into your pack BEFORE you reach the albergue. What they cannot see, they will not force you to stick in a barrel.

Just sayin...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We used our Pacerpoles non-stop, we both would recommend to anyone, our bad-backs are in good shape from the experience, we walked tall. Our rubber feet lasted easily 2 weeks although the tread has well gone, never slipped once although forgot to put them down a few time, & also forgot was using them most of the time.

We picked up at least 3 pair of rubber feet and probably a dozen of those little round doo-flotchies along the way. I now have plenty of spares. :lol:

Thanks for all the wonderful advice on this topic. Based on what I have learned here (backed up by some other research) I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. I just ordered a set of Pacer poles online and I am already way eager for them to arrive so I can try them out! I have occasional issues with my right hip (and sometimes but less frequently, my left as well) when I over do it by walking faster than my usual pace, as so often happens when walking with my husband, so I am hopeful the *correct* use of my new poles will help in that regard. My hip issues are generally minor and more of an inconvenience at best but I figure why take chances when walking greater distances .. day after day without pause. I am also working on learning to pace myself better when walking as well but it's a lot harder than I would have thought, the speed creeps up on me and I always pay the price when it does ... I've told my husband if it becomes an issue on the Camino he will have to strike out on his own and I'll catch up to him at our next stop.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Abbeydore said:
We used our Pacerpoles non-stop, we both would recommend to anyone, our bad-backs are in good shape from the experience, we walked tall. Our rubber feet lasted easily 2 weeks although the tread has well gone, never slipped once although forgot to put them down a few time, & also forgot was using them most of the time.
I used the Leki 'walking foot', which has a distinct curved shape, and took a spare pair. My experience was much the same, I needed both pairs to complete the Camino. I cannot get the Leki foot in Australia any more, and have switched to a Komperdel which appears similar and I hope gives me the same life.

falcon269 said:

Falcon, thanks very much for these links. I hadn't been considering using poles on my (first, upcoming in Sept.) Camino, but I'm convinced--planning to go with Pacerpoles, and I expect I'll use them for my local regular walks as well.

I use hiking poles on every hike terrain permitting. I used them a lot on the Camino and found them particulary helpful on steep downhills. Their use significantly reduced the stress on my knees and helped with my stability. I agree with the literature that says the proper use of hiking poles can reduce the stress on your knees by 30%. In particular I remember their use on the descent into Roncevalles and the hike from Cruz de Fero.

I agree that only you can make the decision about using poles.

If you can walk 22kms without this support I can't see why you would need them, they are after all something extra to carry at times. I will not use them to go faster or farther it's simply I need them to relieve pressure off knees, feet and hips and it does.

I read somewhere that the increasing use of poles, especially with spikes, is having an adverse effect on trails. This seems to make sense so I wouldn't use them if I didn't need them.

I use a single pole. I refer to it as my "third leg". It can aid stability when going over really rough ground. And by using just one pole, I have a hand always free for my camera!
Taking a pole, however, means booking hold baggage with Ryanair .... or, of course, buying one on arrival.
"Swings and roundabouts ......"
Buen camino, whether on two legs or 2 and an extra!
Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

JillHives said:
I've never used poles while walking or hiking. I did 22k last Sunday and never even considered it. Are they really needed?
That's exactly how I felt when someone in an outdoor shop was trying to convince me that poles would be worth it. I listened to him and bought two of them.

Do they make a difference? I don't know but I do know that I haven't had a problem with my knees or my ankles on the 6 long distance trails I've done so far.

This may be a red-hearing, but do people who use poles get less blisters?
My partner =0
Me =0
others?

it maybe that as we use vaseline/double sox, however we are also putting less force on our feet, therefore less rubbing! & with Pacerpoles you are taking some of the weight to thru' yours arms.
.....anyway food for thought.....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Will they make a difference? And will that we worth achieving? These are the questions I think you should be asking.

Will they make a difference? Yes, if you are prepared to learn to use them properly, and continually, they will make a big difference.
  • They have to be in your hands, and not your pack or in a waist belt.
  • To take weight off your knees, you need to learn to push down on the pole, and not just tap it onto the surface of the trail.
  • To do that all day, you will need to learn to use the strap the correct way.

Will that be worth achieving? I think so. I have been using two poles for just under a decade, and a single technical pole for a few more before that, and I am unlikely to go back to my long ash plant pole that I used for a couple of decades before that.

On the opposite side of the coin, if you are not prepared to learn to use technical poles correctly, leave them in your pack, etc, then you might as well find a wooden pilgrim staff at the start, and use that as a stability aid when you need it.

Regards,

I also use a single pole,; but not all the time.
I have tried using two but I walk quite quickly and as I am not very tall this means that getting a good rhythm going becomes a chore and less of an advantage on level ground.
However, when ascending or descending or on uneven ground it really takes the weight off knees and hips and aids stability. (By sharing the load on your arm, like a third leg as Stephen says)

I have also modified my pole to add a camera mount. This is really useful when taking group or self photos when there is nothing around to rest your camera on. Just stick your pole in the ground and screw your camera on top like a monopod.
Polecameramount.jpg

I removed the screw in the top of the pole that holds the wrist strap and drilled it out to 4mm. (Through the strap also)
Then cut about 25-30 mm off a 1/4 - 20 unc bolt and screw this into the hole leaving 4 or 5 threads showing (with the cut end first so it is not sharp exposed)
To make it safe when walking I screw a rubber tap washer on the bolt.
Polecameracap.jpg

regards, Ian

the increasing use of poles, especially with spikes, is having an adverse effect on trails
The only damage I have observed is when a tile, on the walking surface or on a waymark, has been intentionally broken by a pole. Since I have seen acrylic-covered information stations shattered by rocks with shards still in the plastic, I think anger issues are the driving force, not the poles. When someone wants to commit vandalism, the pole is not to blame.

A hole in the dirt will disappear with the next rain.

Can someone talk about the situation where an auberge makes you leave your poles at the door? Is this true more than not? Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There were many instances when I was asked to leave my poles at the door. It was usually INSIDE the door, which was ok.

Most of the time, the reason seemed to be so people wouldn't trip over the poles, and most of the time, this was optional.

However, there were at least two instances where it was mandatory, and both times, I chose to sleep elsewhere. Once, the poles were to be left in a barrel by an open door which led directly into an alley. I asked if I could fold them up and put them in my pack and the answer was "NO!" I asked why and was told, "JUST DO IT!" So I moved on.

Later, in Sto. Domingo, a hospitalero told me that they had had a situation where poles had been used in a fight and were dangerous, and so they asked people to leave them at the door.

Not many poles are stolen, mind you. It's an uncommon occurrence. But it does happen. Last trip, someone took an expensive set of Leki's and left their old beat up poles. Granted, the pilgrims left in the dark, and maybe they grabbed the wrong poles. You decide.

BUT, there was no way I was going to leave my expensive Pacer Poles.

I suggest again, simply fold them up and put them in your pack before you arrive.
Then there's no problem.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back