• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking Umbrella

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016
Del Norte, Finesterre 2018
Hello I'm doing the del Norte in May and wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback on the trekking umbrella. They look pretty practical being attached to the front harness of the backpack leaving your hands free for the walking poles. I never did see one while on the CF a couple of years ago and as they are advertised on the forum and sold out, have they become popular? I think they are great for sun protection (being fair skinned) and of course some rain keeping it from running back your back between raincoat and pack. Thanks in advance for any suggestions....Lori

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Much better than a hat, as it doesn't keep the air from cooling your head. A bit cumbersome, until you get used to it.

I love mine, but still consider it nice-to-have - unless on the Silver Route during summer, where it's darn neigh need-to-have for Anglos o_O

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a windproof umbrella, bought 2 for the price of one on internet, not expensive at all, i hold it to the front of my pack with 2 small bungee cords, We have used them the last 3 caminos, and never been sorry we brought them, when the sun is at its brightest and hot, believe me, it is the most welcome shade not to mention that it keeps dry when it rains. My opinion, go for it!!! ( I once bought a 3euro one in Gijon and it worked perfect till Santiado)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a windproof umbrella, bought 2 for the price of one on internet, not expensive at all, i hold it to the front of my pack with 2 small bungee cords, We have used them the last 3 caminos, and never been sorry we brought them, when the sun is at its brightest and hot, believe me, it is the most welcome shade not to mention that it keeps dry when it rains. My opinion, go for it!!! ( I once bought a 3euro one in Gijon and it worked perfect till Santiado)
Wow you're definitely an advocate....thankyou

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello I'm doing the del Norte in May and wondering if anyone has any experience or feedback on the trekking umbrella. They look pretty practical being attached to the front harness of the backpack leaving your hands free for the walking poles. I never did see one while on the CF a couple of years ago and as they are advertised on the forum and sold out, have they become popular? I think they are great for sun protection (being fair skinned) and of course some rain keeping it from running back your back between raincoat and pack. Thanks in advance for any suggestions....Lori
Cheap poncho and a good hiking hat work just fine.

Love my silver one. Perfect against the sun, and as someone who wears glasses I love having it in the rain. It also allows me to walk with my poncho zipper down midway so I don’t get soaked from condensation.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Love my silver one. Perfect against the sun, and as someone who wears glasses I love having it in the rain. It also allows me to walk with my poncho zipper down midway so I don’t get soaked from condensation.
Another positive comment. Thankyou

I brought a lightweight Dollar store umbrella and used it in drizzle. It worked well for those times when it wasn't worth putting on raingear....loved it! Since I only walk with one pole, I was able to hold it with my other hand and let it rest on my shoulder/pack. I never used it for sun, but I walked in the spring and it was not very hot. It was definately worth bringing and only $5 US.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I brought a lightweight Dollar store umbrella and used it in drizzle. It worked well for those times when it wasn't worth putting on raingear....loved it! Since I only walk with one pole, I was able to hold it with my other hand and let it rest on my shoulder/pack. I never used it for sun, but I walked in the spring and it was not very hot. It was definately worth bringing and only $5 US.
I'm a two pole walker unfortunately - I like:) your option and much cheaper.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back