• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trip Report

John Holland

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello,

I have just completed the Portuguese Camino, starting in Lisbon. Here are a few pointers that might be relevant to people planning this trip.

1. Avoid the first two days out of Lisbon.

Apart from a couole of short stretches, most of the first 60 km (two days) is pretty horrible involving walking on national highways with no footpaths and trucks coming straight at you or else walking along a pretty grotty and smelly creek. I would stringly recommend walking the first 7 km and staying in the suburb of Oriente and then catching the train from there to Azambuja or Santorem.

2. Santorem has a new hostel. Really good. Located just around the corner from the Tourist Office.

3. Porto.

Good option here is to catch the metro to the outskirts. Avoids streets, roads etc.

Make sure you set aside at least one day, preferably two, to explore this wonderful city. So take a rest day or two here if you are starting from Lisbon. If starting in Porto give yourself a little time here before commencing the camino.

4. Sao Pedro de Rates

Go for the upstairs dorms in the alburgue. Much better (less musty and damp) than downstairs. If you are first to arrive get key from the shop 50 m up the road. Lovely lady at the shop is very helpful. She also sells camino shells (first place I was able to find them).

And check out the church. It is neat.

A restaurant in a new area about 50 metres to the right of the church has a pilgrim menu which is very good value.

5. Casa do Fernanda

Whatever you do, do not miss staying here. Fernanda is simply a wonderful woman and you will have a brilliant stay here. It was easily the best night of my camino.

6. Valenca v. Tui.

Have a quick look around Valenca but cross the border and stay in Tui. Far greater choice of hostels (incl private ones) as well as a much greater variety of cafes, bars etc and it is also a nice place to look around.

7. Santiago.

Give yourself some time at the end. Don´t arrive and leave straight away. The midday pilgrims mass is well worth attending even if you are not religious.

Bon camino
John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi I am starting out of Porto soon. What stop do you suggest taking the train out to?

This is really helpful information! Thanks for taking the time to write this post. How long did it take you from Porto to Santiago?
And yes, what stop would you suggest getting off of from Porto to commence walking?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello John,
Thank you for the great info.
We are walking this route in Sept and wanted to stay in Porto for a couple days as you suggested, just wondering if you found a good place to stay there?
Thanks, :)

brynderwyn said:
Hello John,
We are walking this route in Sept and wanted to stay in Porto for a couple days as you suggested, just wondering if you found a good place to stay there?

Hi guys,

I stayed at yes hostel and had a great time there. Friends of mine stayed next door at residence Flor and were quite happy there :)

Hope it helps,

Mira

I stayed at the Yes hostel and can also recommend it. (To be honest, though, Porto has a lot of very good hostels - check hostelworld.com )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Mira & Robventures, I check out Yes!
Any other tips on good places to stay on the way? Or not to be missed places?
Cheers,
Julie

Hi Julie,

I loved Ponte de Lima. Stayed in Residence SĂŁo JoĂŁo but I heard the alberge was quite ok there too.

If I would do the trip again, I would definitely stay at Fernanda's place (a private alberge in Lugar do Corgo, 14km before Ponte de Lima). I heard great stories (from several travelers) about home made dinners and guitar music at this place. Fernanda and her husband must really make great efforts for the camino.

But for the rest, don't worry - you'll find plenty of nice spots, good food and warm hearted people along the camino.

Mira

We recently returned from the camino starting in porto and reaching Santiago in twelve days (and walking eleven). We left from Porto and took the metro to Maia and started our walk there. The first day we walked eight miles which was a nice warm up for the days following. We stayed one extra night in Barcelos to visit nearby Braga. The Portuguese Camino is wonderful!
Bon Camino
Jenni

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi I am starting out of Porto soon. What stop do you suggest taking the train out to?
Hi,

Sorry for such a late reply but I have been travelling (mainly walking various trails including some other caminos) ever since the camino with few chances to access the internet so I missed a lot of the questions. But am finally home now.

I would suggest catching the metro from Oporto to Forum Maia or Vilar do Pinheiro (a bit further out). Its very easy to link up to the camino path from either station.

Hello John,
Again, sorry for the last reply. Hope this gets to you in time. I stayed at Gallery Hostel. Very new and good. Excellent communal meal at night and friendly and helpful staff.

Currently staying at the wine hostel which is quite central with a lovely park out front and large cosy common room. 4 or 6 bed dorms are spacious with lockers and ensuite. Good bars and food all around staff very helpful and port tastings and events nightly. Guided walking tour is also good to get some of the history of this wonderful town you would miss otherwise. Gold coin donation.

I walked with my hubby from Valenca to Santiago. We stayed at the public albergues in

Currently staying at the wine hostel which is quite central with a lovely park out front and large cosy common room. 4 or 6 bed dorms are spacious with lockers and ensuite. Good bars and food all around staff very helpful and port tastings and events nightly. Guided walking tour is also good to get some of the history of this wonderful town you would miss otherwise. Gold coin donation.
Perhaps I'll draw a snigger or two, but what is a "gold coin donation"? I'm not familiar with the term.

Thanks Mira & Robventures, I check out Yes!
Any other tips on good places to stay on the way? Or not to be missed places?
Cheers,
Julie
Hi Julie. I'm walking soon myself. I planned to be adventurous and take the coastal route. Are you? Or are you taking the "regular" route?

Cheers,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,
we are now in Tui. We started on the coastal route then went in land to the more established route.
Excellent! That may be what I do. I assume the coastal route is certainly beautiful! Thanks for responding. Enjoy! ~Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back