• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trying to be Techno-lite, but my plan is falling apart

jeploss

I have read "A Techno Geek's Guide to the Camino," and the range of views on what to bring.
As with so many aspects of this adventure, we each have to find our own way. I have been working on that. A couple of months ago, I decided my computer (2.5 lbs) was too heavy to bring. I decided on hiker's GPS and camera so I could use Everytrail.com to create photoalbums superimposed on the map, with waypoints marked where the photos were taken. I learned of this right here on this Forum. HOWEVER, it seems that you cannot download photos from camera to a website; they have to be downloaded to a computer first, and then be uploaded to the web. So "all the plans of mice and men..." Obviously if I'm using Internet Cafes, I can't download Picassa to those public computers. What to do? Small portable hard drive?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

I start walking in Roncesvalles on May 19. Look for the Camino Forum patch on my pack! Unless of course it's covered by my Altus raincoat. I'll be the one in blue :D

Buen Camino.
Janet

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not sure if a flash drive would serve your purpose--especially if you passworded and have virus protection on it?

What to do? Small portable hard drive?

Janet,

you can look at Evan Low's detailed blog on how he made use of the available facilities on the Camino to record and post his pictures for his two Caminos. His blog is at http://www.camino.wificat.com.

He saved his pictures and blog in a removable storage facility ( he used a SD Card but a flash drive can be used in your case) until he reached a library where he could download and post the contents of his card in a very short time in the available computer.

He will be going for his third Camino and his blog on his previous Caminos is a recommended read for technogeeks (he is an expert and will reply to pm's pronto).

He has important messages in his blog on techno-etiquette; on how not to annoy his fellow travelers with loud noises; how to finish quickly to allow others to use the computer; on his choice of tried and tested equipment; on how he fully used his equipment without being a slave to it; on his investigation into the newer equipment coming into the market which he might take in future; etc.

He is extremely flexible in his approach to technology (not usual for pilgrims) hence he normally has Plan B available so it is not the end of the world if:
but my plan is falling apart

The unexpected adds spice to your life, there will always be a way, see forum on Angels.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
JALAN JAUH said:
Janet, you can look at Evan Low's detailed blog on how he made use of the available facilities on the Camino to record and post his pictures for his two Caminos. His blog is at http://www.camino.wificat.com. Buen Camino!
Jalan, This web address didn't seem to lead to the blog, so I played around with it a bit and found it didn't need the www. The blog was at: http://camino.wificat.com/
Margaret

Kia Ora Margaret,

Many thanks for assisting Janet and other members who may wish to read Eva Low's brilliant piece, I knew there are helpful Angels on this forum, count yourself as one of them!!

Joe

Really great practical tips.

Thank you, EvanLow!

lynne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I ditched my netbook and used an 8GB SD card in my camera (Canon G10, 14.7MP) and instead of using a GPS, I took a picture of the sign of each town I entered so I knew where and when my pictures were taken (my camera has a date stamp). I did not fill my SD card after 39 days on the Camino Frances and I took a lot of pictures. Not all computers will have an SD reader, so what you could do, is bring an SD reader (I have one that turns the SD card into a USB thumb drive) and an external HD and offload your pics that way. Make sure you have a sturdy case for the external HD and something waterproof to put it in to protect it from the elements and accidents.

Just a thought......

As for a blog, I used a Moleskine Reporters Notebook, kept a journal, and whenever I found enough internet, I updated the blog using my journal as a reference point.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.