• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trying to schedule flights to porto

Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to hike the Portuguese Way from Porto to Santiago in May 2018
Hello again,

Planning on taking the coastal way next May. I believe I could make the hike in 10-11 days but am planning on taking 14 off for the journey.

Here's my question, is 14 days enough padding? And what would be the best way to schedule the flight? Scheduling round trip is cheaper but requires a definitive timeline. Also, I'm assuming it'd be best to take a bus back from Santiago to porto.

Any comments are appreciated!

Clark

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello again,

Planning on taking the coastal way next May. I believe I could make the hike in 10-11 days but am planning on taking 14 off for the journey.

Here's my question, is 14 days enough padding? And what would be the best way to schedule the flight? Scheduling round trip is cheaper but requires a definitive timeline. Also, I'm assuming it'd be best to take a bus back from Santiago to porto.

Any comments are appreciated!

Clark

Have a look at Rome2rio site.
I put up Santiago to Oporto on google and there it was.
You will have to make good time for 11 days .

I did the coastal way from Porto last summer. It took 13 days, but that includes a number of short days (i.e. 15km or less). There is a bus from SdC back to Porto. It makes 4-5 stops along the way and takes about 4 hours. I was able to purchase the bus ticket in a small office next door to where you pick up your Compostela.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not sure I understand your return flight, but maybe you'd do better to fly out of Santiago (to Madrid) instead of Porto?

Not sure I understand your return flight, but maybe you'd do better to fly out of Santiago (to Madrid) instead of Porto?

That's realy the heart of the questioning a round trip fllight it's difficult/maybe impossible to schedule a return flight from a separate airport. You generally always have to fly out of the airport you fly into.

I could fly into Santiago and take the bus to Porto, but I'd hate to experience the journey by bus BEFORE I take it by foot. It sounds as though I should plan for a slightly longer timeframe than I originally intended though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have found that it is often less expensive to fly into one city and out of another especially when you consider the expense of getting back to and perhaps staying another night in the original city. So fly into Porto and out of Santiago. :)

Hi Clark,
You don't say where you are travelling from? I will be doing the trip from London, England and using RyanAir can fly into Porto and return from Santiago de Compostella. Don't know if that's of any use to you?

That's realy the heart of the questioning a round trip fllight it's difficult/maybe impossible to schedule a return flight from a separate airport. You generally always have to fly out of the airport you fly into.

I could fly into Santiago and take the bus to Porto, but I'd hate to experience the journey by bus BEFORE I take it by foot. It sounds as though I should plan for a slightly longer timeframe than I originally intended though.
I have open jaw flights on Kayak and they are not much different than same airport fares.
My Camino in August started Roanoke, Virginia to Rabat Morocco and return was Istanbul to Roanoke. It was less than $100 difference, if I remember correctly, than Roanoke to Barcelona. It used to be that these open jaw tickets were very expensive. Use your favorite online site to play with dates and airports.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Clark,
You don't say where you are travelling from? I will be doing the trip from London, England and using RyanAir can fly into Porto and return from Santiago de Compostella. Don't know if that's of any use to you?

I'm coming from the States. I'll be flying out of St. Louis, Mo. Probably using a combination of American Air and Iberia.

I'm coming from the States. I'll be flying out of St. Louis, Mo. Probably using a combination of American Air and Iberia.
I just did a quick check and the difference between a round trip ticket to Porto from St. Louis and a multi-city ticket from St. Louis to Porto and home from Santiago to St. Louis is $88.00. The cost of the bus ticket from Santiago to Porto is $35.00. You will probably want to return to Porto the night before the flight home, so there is another $35 in lodging and meals assuming you stay at an albergue . . . leaving you with a savings of $18 and a day less of walking time. I hope that is helpful. Either way, it will be an awesome experience.

Hola @Clark! Did you already book something? Another option for you could be to fly to and from Lisbon from the US. Before your Camino you could take a train or bus from Lisbon to Porto, and then after your Camino you could take a train up to La Coruña (about 40 minutes from Santiago) and fly the TAP Portugal puddle-jumper from Coruña (LCG) to Lisbon.

Of course, this may be moot if you've already booked. Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I haven't made any plans yet but that's definitely something for me to consider! Thank you for the input!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back