• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tui to Santiago short stages

Russell Layton

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
Good Morning All, I will be walking Tui to Santaigo with an 83 year old. The route was selected purely on the basis of least hills, so if anyone has a better suggestion please butt in. I believe she will do about 10 miles / 16 km per day, and sleeping in dormitories is not an option. Anything else is fine. Taxi shuffles are fine. We will need luggage transfers. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Russ

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That is wonderful what you are planning. these two websites list pensions and hotels as well as albergues; they give the distances to walk, and the elevation changes. They're in Spanish, but google will translate them if needed. I think someone else asked a similar question and when I looked it seemed each step could either be split in half, or two added together then divided by three to make short steps. I hope this helps.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/portugues/
http://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues
Buen Camino

I'll follow with a luggage transfer link when i find the thread

edit: click on each step, and it will show distances, where the pensions etc are located, and the elevation changes. Booking.com or other similar sites are also helpful finding non-albergue lodging

Good Morning All, I will be walking Tui to Santaigo with an 83 year old. The route was selected purely on the basis of least hills, so if anyone has a better suggestion please butt in. I believe she will do about 10 miles / 16 km per day, and sleeping in dormitories is not an option. Anything else is fine. Taxi shuffles are fine. We will need luggage transfers. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Russ
here's the thread with the luggage transport I saw recently
the places where you stay could also probably recommend a taxi for any portion of the next day's step
buen camino
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/bag-transport-on-portuguese.38112/#post-451631

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
and not meant to overwhelm you, but this is a nice free guide to download, written by one of our forum experts
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/the-camino-portugués-–-porto-to-santiago-2017.124/

Smallest Sparrow, thanks for the assistance, I've downloaded the guide, and purchased a couple more. The websites are a mine of information, so will start planning. The toughest stage looks like Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis, 21 km with no private accommodation on the way. May have to get her a little 4 wheeled assistance on that one. I may be underestimating her. She's pretty tough. Cheers, Russ

Smallest Sparrow, thanks for the assistance, I've downloaded the guide, and purchased a couple more. The websites are a mine of information, so will start planning. The toughest stage looks like Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis, 21 km with no private accommodation on the way. May have to get her a little 4 wheeled assistance on that one. I may be underestimating her. She's pretty tough. Cheers, Russ

Olá, between Pontevedra and Caldas de Reis there is a private accommodation about 10 km after Pontevedra. Have a look:
http://www.oscarballos.es/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

For the Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis stage, you might consider booking a room in Caldas de Reis (shipping your bags there) then walking from Pontevedra as far as the beautiful outdoor area of Barosa (pics and more info here) and having a taxi from Caldas fetch you there and return you back the next day. Surely your hotel could give you taxi information or even arrange it for you, you'd just have to call someone when you were ready to be picked up. Also, there's a café right on the 550-N road at the entrance to the park where you can enjoy a breakfast coffee before starting the journey back to Caldas on the camino path (you do walk along the 550-N for a little bit right there).

From Pontevedra - Barosa is 15km (plus another .4 from the camino to the waterfall at Barosa). From Barosa to Caldas de Reis is a mere 6km. You could enjoy an easy, early day, especially since Caldas de Reis is known for its local spas (called "balnearios"). I found it so luxurious to be able to stay in a place for two nights - another perk of shorter stages and utilizing taxis!

Whichever way you choose, enjoy! Buen Camino!!

Hola Russ - you have lots of good advice here. You can also consider booking into two or three reasonably priced hotels or hostals and using them as a base with a taxi picking you up at an agreed point, taking you back to your accommodation then back to where you stopped next morning. This can readily be arranged. I'd also recommend Tuitrans - they move luggage forward and when necessary, people. They know the route intimately and are extremely helpful. I've also sent you a Pm.

John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Russ - you have lots of good advice here. You can also consider booking into two or three reasonably priced hotels or hostals and using them as a base with a taxi picking you up at an agreed point, taking you back to your accommodation then back to where you stopped next morning. This can readily be arranged. I'd also recommend Tuitrans - they move luggage forward and when necessary, people. They know the route intimately and are extremely helpful. I've also sent you a Pm.

John
Thanks a lot to everybody who has responded. It sounds like a few taxi shuffles are very much in order. Thanks for the email John, all assistance gratefully received.

For the Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis stage, you might consider booking a room in Caldas de Reis (shipping your bags there) then walking from Pontevedra as far as the beautiful outdoor area of Barosa (pics and more info here) and having a taxi from Caldas fetch you there and return you back the next day. Surely your hotel could give you taxi information or even arrange it for you, you'd just have to call someone when you were ready to be picked up. Also, there's a café right on the 550-N road at the entrance to the park where you can enjoy a breakfast coffee before starting the journey back to Caldas on the camino path (you do walk along the 550-N for a little bit right there).

From Pontevedra - Barosa is 15km (plus another .4 from the camino to the waterfall at Barosa). From Barosa to Caldas de Reis is a mere 6km. You could enjoy an easy, early day, especially since Caldas de Reis is known for its local spas (called "balnearios"). I found it so luxurious to be able to stay in a place for two nights - another perk of shorter stages and utilizing taxis!

Whichever way you choose, enjoy! Buen Camino!!
A terrific idea. It's great having a large number of brains happy to be picked on this forum. Need to get the map back out. Australia has a very well known wine area called the Barossa Valley. I like the sound of this place already.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
G
Keep in mind there will be some very steep decends especially between O Porriño and Redondela and some futher on direction Pontevedra.
Pace poles to be advised I should say

Bom caminho

Good Morning Albertinho, I only selected this route as it looked easiest on the elevation profiles. Is there a better route?

G

Good Morning Albertinho, I only selected this route as it looked easiest on the elevation profiles. Is there a better route?

Good morning to you Russell ! No there is no alternative route. This is the central route. The coastal part of the caminho Português ends up in Redondela where it joins the central route to Santiago.
Maybe an idea to look at the specific routes I mentioned and the elevations and skip those parts .
On the other hand last year when we walked the coastal and the central route we met two I think American or Canadian ladies who were in their eighties and they easily shuffled down the last hill just before Pontevedra. In a way of "easy does it"

I assume the aim is to get in Santiago for you and your company.
If not and if a Compostela certificate is not important you could start earlier in Porto and walk the coastal caminho Português to Caminha on the Portuguese/Spanish border which is a great walk too. A flat walk. You will enjoy the Portuguese hospitality ,the excellent food and if you like it, the wines.

Another option is take walk from Porto on the central route to Barcelos and Ponte de Lima . Barcelos is a nice place to stay and if you like you can make a detour by bus or train to Braga with its world famous church Bom Jesus do Monte.
And stay at my favourite place casa Fernanda. Fernanda definitively gives the lady a private room. After Fernanda you'll arrive in the lovely town of Ponte de Lima from where you could return back to Porto by public tranport. After Ponte de Lima comes a nasty mountain your company will not feel comfy I am afraid, the Alto de Portela Grande.

In both options you will enjoy all the good of Portugal and you are on the caminho.

My wife and I walked the caminho Portuguese twice but due to insuries we are not able to walk that far anymore but we come back to Portugal once or twice a year.
Coming year we will have 3 visits in mind ! An eight days visit to the island of Madeira, our spring holiday somewhere in the south and our annual visit to Casa Fernanda to give her a hand as hospitaleiros and see friends in Braga. We love the country and the people.
Bom caminho.

Last edited:
Thanks
Russ
definitely less hills on the portuguese vs the french way. however, careful with the two hills after redondela and before pontevedra, especially the second one. you may want to plan your stages so as to sleep in arcade and tackle only one hill a day. as for accommodation, there are lots of options as long as you stay in the towns. tuitrans is a reliable option for your luggage, but a quick google search will provide others. fyi. i have stayed at a torre do xudeu in tui and it was wonderful. good luck and Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
definitely less hills on the portuguese vs the french way. however, careful with the two hills after redondela and before pontevedra, especially the second one. you may want to plan your stages so as to sleep in arcade and tackle only one hill a day. as for accommodation, there are lots of options as long as you stay in the towns. tuitrans is a reliable option for your luggage, but a quick google search will provide others. fyi. i have stayed at a torre do xudeu in tui and it was wonderful. good luck and Buen Camino

Hmmmm, not sure what happened here.....
cheers

Last edited:

Jeffery, thanks for the advice, and thanks to all who have assisted. Much appreciated. Plan A (a definite work in progress) looks something like this:

Tui – O Porrino 16.1 km, take Orbenelle deviation
O Porrino – Redondela 16.5 km
Redondela – Arcade / Pontesampaio 9.1 km
Arcade / Pontesampaio – Pontevedra 12.5 km, take Senda Fluvial path
Pontevedra Rest Day
Pontevedra – Cascades 15 km, taxi to Caldas des Reis
Cascades – Caldas de Reis 6.1 km, taxi to Cascades
Caldas de Reis - Pontecesures 16.1 km
Pontecesures – Rua de Francos 13.5 km
Rua de Francos – Santiago de Campostela 12.7 km

How does that look? Doable? Cheers Russ

Jeffery, thanks for the advice, and thanks to all who have assisted. Much appreciated. Plan A (a definite work in progress) looks something like this:

Tui – O Porrino 16.1 km, take Orbenelle deviation
O Porrino – Redondela 16.5 km
Redondela – Arcade / Pontesampaio 9.1 km
Arcade / Pontesampaio – Pontevedra 12.5 km, take Senda Fluvial path
Pontevedra Rest Day
Pontevedra – Cascades 15 km, taxi to Caldas des Reis
Cascades – Caldas de Reis 6.1 km, taxi to Cascades
Caldas de Reis - Pontecesures 16.1 km
Pontecesures – Rua de Francos 13.5 km
Rua de Francos – Santiago de Campostela 12.7 km

How does that look? Doable? Cheers Russ
Awesome. A couple things you may want to consider

Tui to porriño is closer to 18 km taking orbenlle deviation and not walking thru the as gándaras industrial estate (careful with the arrow mess here). Likwise, as you approach porriño, there is a lovely river walk into town which is not always easy to see (more arrow mess).

Senda fluvial into pdv is not marked, no arrows and not the easiest trail to find. The sign pointing to it is clear enough, but then you have half a km to the the stream with no indications. Make a left onto a dirt trail off the road... Hard right after crossing the small bridge and hug the stream into town.

Caldas to pontecesures could be a bit challenging, you could cut short at s martín de valga if you had to, and taxi to pontecesures

Good luck and Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back