• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 36903
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36903

1. I will be arriving in Lisbon (Oriente) station after travelling from Madrid on the Trenhotel, although I have checked on the Portugal Railway site I cannot find any mention of showers being available at that station. In the UK most mainline stations offer showers. I know that I will not sleep well on the night train and would welcome the wake up effect of a shower before the last leg of my journey to Porto. Does anyone know if showers are available at that or any other Lisbon mainline station?

2. I will need to send clothes and shoes to Ivar in Santiago prior to starting walking. I could mail these from Madrid (on a Saturday) between trains, but would have longer on my free (week)day in Porto. Can anyone advise which would be best.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I do not recall seeing any showers in Lisbon train station and I would be surprised if there were any. That's not a definitive answer but the best I can provide after being in the station a couple of times. I'd be happy to be wrong. Also, I'd deal with the clothing from Porto on a weekday rather than worrying about it between trains.

Thank you MichaelSG@. Both Kings Cross and Euston in London have showers for travellers and I was just hoping it might be the same in Lisbon. I will take your advice about mailing from Porto.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just to remember, it's likely to be much more expensive mailing from Portugal as it will be "international" rates to Spain.

1. I will be arriving in Lisbon (Oriente) station after travelling from Madrid on the Trenhotel, although I have checked on the Portugal Railway site I cannot find any mention of showers being available at that station. In the UK most mainline stations offer showers. I know that I will not sleep well on the night train and would welcome the wake up effect of a shower before the last leg of my journey to Porto. Does anyone know if showers are available at that or any other Lisbon mainline station?

2. I will need to send clothes and shoes to Ivar in Santiago prior to starting walking. I could mail these from Madrid (on a Saturday) between trains, but would have longer on my free (week)day in Porto. Can anyone advise which would be best.

I can confirm that there are no showers in any Lisbon train station.

Thank you alipilgrim@, peregrina2000@ and Tania.Olives@ for your information and advice. I have tried checking the price of mailing from Portugal to Spain but failed the intelligence test required to make sense of the website, so I will have to find a Correos office in Madrid that is open on Saturday. At least the Correos website is user friendly and, in addition, has a section where you can see some of their sellos from different post offices, as they also stamp pilgrim's credencials.

Hi SEB. Perhaps there are not available showers at Lisbon station, but you probably can have a shower at the Trenhotel, if travelling at Cama Gran Clase.

Hi SEB. Perhaps there are not available showers at Lisbon station, but you probably can have a shower at the Trenhotel, if travelling at Cama Gran Clase.
Thank you Pinguigrino@ Oh, if only I could afford to travel Cama Gran Clase on the Trenhotel. I am afraid it is Cama Turista for my budget.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Pinguigrino@ Oh, if only I could afford to travel Cama Gran Clase on the Trenhotel. I am afraid it is Cama Turista for my budget.
Well, I only used this train once, ten days ago, and it was a great blow for my budget too. ( this was the only way to return home on time) I dont know if Turista is provided with showers too.

Turista provides only a bunk and in a compartment with five other people, but it is a very cheap way of travelling from Spain to Portugal (and vice versa).

Hi Musgo, thank you for your suggestions and for the offer to go to the post office to check the cost of posting a parcel to Ivar in Santiago. My stay in Porto will now be limited to only one night - I have been ill and need to factor into my plans that I will probably be walking more slowly at the start of this Camino - so I have to post from Madrid. But your willingness to spend time getting the information I requested is testament to all that is good about this forum and its members. Bom Caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back