• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running the camino portugues. Any thoughts, hints, questions?

FrankM

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
My plan is to run from Porto to Santiago de Compostela. Therefore I am looking for any useful information of runners who have done this or similar before. What do I have in mind when I say running the camino? Anywhere at a good trail pace of 6:00 to 7:00mins/per km in average with some 30km per day.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have only knowledge of the coastal-litoral: but you’d be fine. It’s mostly flat. Some good places to stay along the way. I did it fastpacking a few years ago. With a good pack and minimal stuff. Make sure the pack fits you right and doesn’t bounce too much. That gets old quickly. I used trail runners (Altra Timp), but on this route at least, normal road runners would have been fine too.

Good evening.
I’m going to do the litoral can I ask please all your stops. And how many days
Regards Andrew

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello fellow pilgrim,

if you say 30km in average is running, than I did run the CP. But I did average only 5km/h (almost half the speed you'll do).

My tips: good trailrunners with high cushioning. Very good fitting socks.
You'll be fine.

Our son ran the VDLP while we walked it. He accompanied us for about 300 km and ran anywhere from 30-37 km daily. Keep in mind you arrive at your destination early, your accommodation may or may not be open yet, and some places are small and don’t have much entertainment. (Though we have walked the coastal from Porto and found the places to be a bit bigger than along the VDLP for the part our son ran). He had a 20 LTR pack.
If you want I can ask him if he minds his details being shared. He’s not in this forum. After 11 days he said he was glad not to have to run for a few days! 😂. I wonder why…
Hope this helps

Our son ran the VDLP while we walked it. He accompanied us for about 300 km and ran anywhere from 30-37 km daily. Keep in mind you arrive at your destination early, your accommodation may or may not be open yet, and some places are small and don’t have much entertainment. (Though we have walked the coastal from Porto and found the places to be a bit bigger than along the VDLP for the part our son ran). He had a 20 LTR pack.
If you want I can ask him if he minds his details being shared. He’s not in this forum. After 11 days he said he was glad not to have to run for a few days! 😂. I wonder why…
Hope this helps
Hi! I am planning to run Porto to Santiago this October. estimating 35 km a day with some shorter days in-between. I want to run it in 9 days. I would be curious what kind of tips your son has to offer!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My plan is to run from Porto to Santiago de Compostela. Therefore I am looking for any useful information of runners who have done this or similar before. What do I have in mind when I say running the camino? Anywhere at a good trail pace of 6:00 to 7:00mins/per km in average with some 30km per day.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.
Hi! I am planning to follow your same path this October, also running around 30-35km a day with shorter days in-between. I am curious if you have any tips that you picked up from your journey running. Anything to avoid, prepare for, how did you feel running do much everyday, how long did it take you, etc.
I am planning to complete it within 9 days, (8 nights).

Thanks for your feedback!

Given most people walk Porto to Santiago in 10 days and at +30km per day could probably walk it in 8 I’m wondering what the running is for. Unless people are trying to get to the bar before I drink all the good stuff I don’t understand the urgency.

Given most people walk Porto to Santiago in 10 days and at +30km per day could probably walk it in 8 I’m wondering what the running is for. Unless people are trying to get to the bar before I drink all the good stuff I don’t understand the urgency.
I think some people just like to run.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back