• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

UK flights to start at Lorgrono and flights from Burgos back to UK

Jo Dobson

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to in April 2017
Hi Fellows ,

I am looking to continue my walk from Lorgrono to Burgos , in October , however not sure where to fly to and from .

Im leaving and returning to the UK ( Manchester ) , not sure where is the best airport to go to/from.

Any advise much appreciated .

Thank you

Jo and Natt

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Fellows ,

I am looking to continue my walk from Lorgrono to Burgos , in October , however not sure where to fly to and from .

Im leaving and returning to the UK ( Manchester ) , not sure where is the best airport to go to/from.

Any advise much appreciated .

Thank you

Jo and Natt
Fly Madrid ex Liverpool or Manchester and take the train each way, book well in advance. Inexpensive.

I’ve done that multiple times.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me Edinburgh to Santander then bus to Logroño is easiest, I did it last year to do the Hospitalero course. Burgos is also a traffic hub so although I have not done it you can get a bus from Burgos back to Santander.

I would probably fly direct from Manchester to Madrid then take a train or ALSA coach to Logrono. Flights from Manchester with Ryanair or British Airways/Iberia. If you do not want to stopover in Madrid then there are direct buses right from the airport itself.

Thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For me Edinburgh to Santander then bus to Logroño is easiest, I did it last year to do the Hospitalero course. Burgos is also a traffic hub so although I have not done it you can get a bus from Burgos back to Santander.

Thank you

Logroño to Burgos is a five day walk.

If, for example, you left Manchester on Tuesday 8 October (usually the cheapest day to fly) you could take the 10:10 Ryanair flight, arriving Madrid at 13:45.

There is an ALSA coach direct from Terminal 4 at Madrid (there is a free shuttle bus connecting all four terminals) departing 15:15, arriving Logroño at 19:00

If you set off the following day would reach Burgos on Sunday 13 October. There is a frequent ALSA coach service from Burgos bus station (just south of the river) direct to Madrid airport. However, there do not appear to be any afternoon flights from Madrid to Manchester, so you have the choice of either taking an overnight bus from Burgos (the 3:45 a.m. or 4:15 a.m.) in the early hours of Monday 14 October, or taking a later bus on the Sunday or Monday and staying overnight near Madrid airport. I can recommend the Hostal Viky if you choose that option.

Just to confirm, there are no flights, direct or indirect, from Logroño or Burgos to the UK in October.

To answer your specific question, there is a direct flight to Logrono from Madrid. The Logrono airport is some distance out so a taxi is likely. AFAIR from doing this route, there was a long stopover at Madrid which sort of defeated the purpose of ease of travel. As suggested above, train or bus will be cheaper / less time unless you have a specific reason to fly

Try Rome to Rio

For the return route, you'd have to get the bus to Bilbao (very easy). At the Bilbao bus station, the coach transfer is there too which means a walk of a few yards. There is an [English speaking] information booth in the upper section of the bus station but much of the information you need is on the electronic displays around the station

If you do have time in Bilbao, would strongly recommend you having a look around this fantastic city. Search for the Bilbao Cat

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow! Galloglaigh , Thank you so much for all that wonderful , helpful information and advice , I will be now booking my trip 👍 Much appreciated 👍

Hi Jo,

It's also possible to fly from Manchester to Bilbao (lowcost: Easyjet, Ryanair, Vueling). From Bilbao a bus will take you to Logroño in a little under 2 hours (there's one every hour/hour-and-a-half). There's also a train from Bilbao to Logroño (depending on the day: once or twice a day).

Flights Manchester-Bilbao:

Bus Bilbao-Logroño:

Train Bilbao-Logroño:

To return you can either take the bus or train from Burgos to Bilbao. Again, depanding on the day, the train runs once or twice a day. And there are plenty of buses each day from Burgos to Bilbao in a little under 2 hours.

Bus Burgos-Bilbao:

Train Burgos-Bilbao:

Flights:

Maybe it's worthwile comparing travelling through Bilbao with travelling through Madrid. Travelling from Madrid to Logroño and from Burgos to Madrid will probably mean more travelling time. I think the cost of flying (lowcost) to Bilbao and Madrid are about the same.

Hope this'll help.

Hi Andre'

Thank you so much for all really helpful information and links , much appreciate your time and effort .

Regards

Jo and Natt

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.