• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unexpected but welcome Camino reminder

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2022)
I returned from my last Camino in early July and as usual I find myself yearning for more.
Last weekend I was in Worcester, UK and decided to have a look around the cathedral. A pretty amazing place I have to say. I went into the crypt where there was an exhibition. Lo and behold the first exhibit I saw related to pilgrimage. The presence of the scallop shell, the photo of the Cathedral at Santiago de Compostela. It almost moved me to tears to be immersed in it again.
The Worcester Pilgrim was thought to be a well fed man in his sixties wearing knee length leather boots. Perhaps things haven't changed so much over the years!
I love the way the Camino continues to weave in and out of my life.

Attachments

• 20230806_133945.jpg
    20230806_133945.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 1,572
  • 20230806_133923.jpg
    20230806_133923.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • 20230806_134016.jpg
    20230806_134016.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 83
  • 20230806_134218.jpg
    20230806_134218.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 80
  • 20230806_134043.jpg
    20230806_134043.jpg
    971.5 KB · Views: 88
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I returned from my last Camino in early July and as usual I find myself yearning for more.
Last weekend I was in Worcester, UK and decided to have a look around the cathedral. A pretty amazing place I have to say. I went into the crypt where there was an exhibition. Lo and behold the first exhibit I saw related to pilgrimage. The presence of the scallop shell, the photo of the Cathedral at Santiago de Compostela. It almost moved me to tears to be immersed in it again.
The Worcester Pilgrim was thought to be a well fed man in his sixties wearing knee length leather boots. Perhaps things haven't changed so much over the years!
Thank you for sharing this touching story. I nearly brought happy tears to me too🚶🏼‍♀️Buen Camino always

LongRun64
Thank you for sharing your poignant memory. All of us who love the camino find delight in such serendipitous connections.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for your photos.
I walked the Three Choirs Way in daily chunks during 2020 when I could not go to Spain, starting and finishing in Worcester.
There were two things that invoked memories for me. The first was approaching Worcester from the west, you suddenly get a view of the cathedral from high. The cathedral nestles in the valley so you do not see it until nearly there, and I was immediately reminded of the sudden first view of Santiago cathedral.
The second was the Pilgrim. But there seemed to be a lack of awareness about pilgrimage by those curating the exhibit. Firstly, the shell was wrong species, so glad to see that they have changed it to something more appropriate now. Secondly, they implied that the man had worn his shoulder joint out by doing so much walking, leaning on his staff. What a load of rubbish! Far more likely that his shoulder joint was worn out by a life of hard physical labour as something like a blacksmith.

Secondly, they implied that the man had worn his shoulder joint out by doing so much walking, leaning on his staff. What a load of rubbish! Far more likely that his shoulder joint was worn out by a life of hard physical labour as something like a blacksmith.
You'll appreciate this then. Read the comments too.

[Edit: I posted a URL but somehow the article was incorporated as part of my post. Click this linked text instead.]

Thank you, very informative.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes thank you for sharing. As for those almost knee high boots, they look similar to those we see in movies set around 1000/1200 AD. They look comfortable and durable.

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back