• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kdrama Camino Sighting!

natefaith

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2014, 2017
As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama) Encounter last night, and spotted a map of the Camino. The characters never referenced the Camino during this scene (nor does the Camino have anything to do with the storyline), but it was cool to see the Camino be part of the space.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-25 at 15.06.16.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
An aside, good portion of Koreans are Christians. Koreans walk the Camino de Santiago encouraged by "Korean Hostel in Spain," a TV variety show in Korea. Three pioneering Koreans decided to start an albergue to provide passing travellers a comfortable resting space and warm Korean meals, targeted especially for Korean pilgrims who miss the taste of home while on the long journey. Korean Hostel in Spain was filmed at its Villafranca de Bierzo location. The popularity of the TV show is instrumental to travel businesses to arrange travel, hosting, providing logistics, and guiding Koreans desiring to walk the Camino de Santiago. If you see a dozen or more pilgrims huddling around, wearing the same color ponchos or raincoats, chances are they are Koreans. These Camino travel groups are well-organized. Korean pilgrims are provided travel group name tags, interpreter/translator guides, and support vehicles along the path. Certainly, a good number also walk solo or with family and/or friends. The growing numbers of Korean pilgrims are the reasons for the introduction of Korean cuisine (ramen, bibimbap, kimchi, etc.) along the Camino that otherwise would be non-existent. Most of them speak English, and from personal experience, they are very kind, caring, generous, and helpful people.

Last edited:
Three pioneering Koreans decided to start an albergue to provide passing travellers a comfortable resting space and warm Korean meals, targeted especially for Korean pilgrims who miss the taste of home
I would love to stay in an albergue with Korean food!

The Koreans that I have met on past Caminos have not be walking with an organized group.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would love to stay in an albergue with Korean food!
Albergue Orion in Castrojeriz serve "bibimbap" prepared by Sanghui (Korean lady), as well as spicy/hot ramen noodles for dinner. Dani, part owner, made sure I enjoyed my stay and dinner there twice (2022/2023). I have seen several albergues, hostels, and pensions (cannot remember the names) along The Way in 2023 that serve korean dishes. Most sold only Korean ramens.

Last edited:
Two thumbs up for the bibimbap at Albergue Orion. It was SUCH a relief from the seemingly never-ending diet of “Camino fries”…formerly known as French fries, a formal name change is in the works.

The Koreans I met were walking alone, or in twos or threes. All made great walking companions and seemed very connected to the spiritual/religious aspects of the pilgrimage. Their Spanish was a limited as mine, so we all dealt with communication challenges in our surroundings. Some spoke less English than I do Korean, which is limited to the word bibimbap. Great companions all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bibimbap at Albergue Orion in Castrojeriz! A very special pilgrims' dinner indeed. Wonderful place. 🩷

The restaurant El Mono del Camino in Cacabelos is another special place - ramen with fried egg and kimchi, and a friendly owner and cook, Santiago, who has fascinating tales about his native village of Cacabelos and his travels to Korea.

Two thumbs up for the bibimbap at Albergue Orion. It was SUCH a relief from the seemingly never-ending diet of “Camino fries”…formerly known as French fries, a formal name change is in the works.

The Koreans I met were walking alone, or in twos or threes. All made great walking companions and seemed very connected to the spiritual/religious aspects of the pilgrimage. Their Spanish was a limited as mine, so we all dealt with communication challenges in our surroundings. Some spoke less English than I do Korean, which is limited to the word bibimbap. Great companions all.
Camino fries = patatas fritas, then you have patatas brava!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was going to recommend the Albergue Orion in Castrojeriz... but Lawd Almighty... 🤣😇
Dani and Sanghui will take care of you very well. Even if you stay at other Castrojeriz' accommodations but has the craving for Korean cuisine, just call Dani or Sanghui, at (+34) 649 481 609 / (+34) 672 580 959
to reserve you a spot and a bibimbap plate on the dinner table. Kindly extend my (Jo Ramos) best regards.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yip don't have to sell me on that place! The albergue and dinner are among my few faves of my Camino ❤️

Most read last week in this forum

I regret not reading Iberia earlier, however, it is never to late to read this marvelous tome, published in 1968. I just finished reading it, two years after beginning my Camino Frances. In Iberia...
Look at this! My daily walking route in my neighborhood has a recently inaugurated Cruceiro flown over from Spain! Like it’s sister Cruceiro it was sculpted from a single block of granite the new...
The Pilgrim Garden is an outdoor restorative place for pilgrims to restore, reflect, journal, pray, or simply enjoy nature. Installation May 11, 2024 along Camino Frances in Os Chacotes Park...
Laberinto del Camino is new labyrinth peace/prayer path built for pilgrims located in Os Chacotes Park, Palas de Rei along Camino Frances. Installed May 2022. This labyrinth invites all pilgrims...
Between Pamplona and Los Arcos we have seen many heavily pruned trees. About 2 to 4 m high. Often in populated public spaces. Any suggestions what they are?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.