• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Uses for a disposable pillowcase

BarbaraW

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019/22, Portuguese 2023, Ingles 2024
Somewhere in the depths of this forum there’s a reference to keeping the disposable pillowcases (provided in some albergues) to use as a mat in showers. In Ponte de Lima albergue, where no bed covers are provided, a very experienced French pilgrim in the next bed calmly slipped one onto her pillow, while the rest of us tried various unsuccessful ways of covering ours. They were very slippery pillows. She told me that she always carried one with her and found it useful for many things.

I kept my next disposable pillow case and used it as an auxiliary towel. It worked as well as my expensive pack towel. Intrigued, I took it home and weighed it. 12 grams, less than half an ounce. I washed it. It stayed intact and dried very quickly.

Does anyone else keep and use theirs? What other uses might they have?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think this is a great idea for an item doing double duty. Thanks for sharing it! Nearly 7 years on the forum and I've never heard of this tip before

I will add (and I've said this before a couple of times) that I use a thin flannel "baby towel" purchased at a resale shop for $1. It works a charm, is lightweight, absorbs all the water quickly and dries super fast. It was a tip given by @Anniesantiago in 2015. It's only negative for larger people or very long hair is it might be a bit small, but two could be sewed together easily.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This has just given me an idea - I lost my pee-rag 2 days ago and tonight I am staying in a municipal pilgrim gite in France with disposable sheets and pillow.... I wonder

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This has just given me an idea - I lost my pee-rag 2 days ago and tonight I am staying in a municipal pilgrim gite in France with disposable sheets and pillow.... I wonder
I would be surprised in the material in the disposable pillowcases has enough absorbency for that purpose. As a towel, it might serve somewhat better, by smearing and brushing water off the skin.

Here's an idea... use and re-use the thing as a pillowcase! Prior use as towel or pee rag would not be advisable! However, it might work as a buff.

Just tried it round my neck. Surprisingly warm and comfortable, slightly fetching even. Too small to make any other type of wearable I think. But the possibilities of a whole bedsheet........

That's a good idea! I never thought of taking a disposable pillowcase with me, but I do take a disposable sheet from the first albergue I can get it. It's light enough and can be used as just a right-sized curtain for the side of a lower bunk and if you can get the bunk close to the wall, it gives you a perfect privacy. I wonder if they provide us one in the private hostels and albergues on the Camino Portugues I'm going to do in September.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Think in reverse... I have a silk tubular scarf that I've used as a pillowcase. It weighs only 15g but is a bit small. Next year I'll make the right size so it might weigh 25g. More washable than the disposable material, and possibly even more fetching!

I’ve packed up and taken the disposable sheet and pillowcase to the next Albergue that I had read didn’t supply them… i was the envy of room in the muni in Ponte de Lima in April….

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Somewhere in the depths of this forum there’s a reference to keeping the disposable pillowcases (provided in some albergues) to use as a mat in showers. In Ponte de Lima albergue, where no bed covers are provided, a very experienced French pilgrim in the next bed calmly slipped one onto her pillow, while the rest of us tried various unsuccessful ways of covering ours. They were very slippery pillows. She told me that she always carried one with her and found it useful for many things.

I kept my next disposable pillow case and used it as an auxiliary towel. It worked as well as my expensive pack towel. Intrigued, I took it home and weighed it. 12 grams, less than half an ounce. I washed it. It stayed intact and dried very quickly.

Does anyone else keep and use theirs? What other uses might they have?
Disposable pillowcases are perfect to keep your dirty clothes untill you have a place to do your laundry.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back