• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using Airalo app on CF

Marileep

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago March 2024
Hi,
Has anyone used the Airalo app on the CF recently?
Which data network on the app would you suggest for Spain?
I see the option is Guay mobile that uses Moviestar lite as the network. Anyone familiar with that?
We just want a basic plan for a back up.
Thanks so much.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Airalo app works perfectly on the CF; I did it last year. Based on the region you choose, the app will either automatically choose the network, or you can choose...I can't remember if it was Orange, but it seemed to work regardless.

*editing to add: Airalo should function anywhere in Spain (or whatever region/country you choose). It's simply an e-SIM, as opposed to an actual SIM card that gets inserted into your phone.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Airalo app works perfectly on the CF; I did it last year. Based on the region you choose, the app will either automatically choose the network, or you can choose...I can't remember if it was Orange, but it seemed to work nevertheless.

*editing to add: Airalo should function anywhere in Spain (or whatever region/country you choose). It's simply an e-SIM, as opposed to an actual SIM card that gets inserted into your phone.
Thanks so much. Buen Camino

I've used it in Spain

Just to advise, you may have to enter APN settings in addition to installing/activating the esim. Instructions are in the app.

My experience was (and is likely still the case unless they saw sense and updated the app to have these instructions offline) you can only see these settings when you're connected to the internet. So if you arrive in Spain without these settings, or haven't set it up in advance, you'll need wifi to find out the settings and use mobile data

Last edited:
I've used it in Spain

Just to advise, you may have to enter APN settings in addition to installing/activating the esim. Instructions are in the app.

My experience was (and is likely still the case unless the saw sense updated the app to have these instructions offline) you can only see these settings when you're connected to the internet. So if you arrive in Spain without these settings, or haven't set it up in advance, you'll need wifi to find out the settings and use mobile data
Thanks for the advice!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
« Just to advise, you may have to enter APN settings in addition to installing/activating the esim. Instructions are in the app. »
what is APN setting ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for this. I used Airalo last year and although it was easy to use was frustrated with needing to top up the data continually over the Camino. I will try Holafly next year instead when I do the Norte.
I also tried Airalo last summer in Italy and also had to top up, making it less inexpensive than I expected. I haven't tried Holafly yet but I too will try it this summer on the CF.

About how much data did you guys need? Or bought that had to be topped up?
Any apps on our phones that uses a lot of data? For example google maps / Whattsapp etc? We just want to work out the cheapest route to go.
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We just want to work out the cheapest route to go.
Then you probably want to look at a network provider rather than a tiny third party company that targets tourists.

For example, Vodafone Spain offers 50 Gb for €10; 100Gb for €15 or 140Gb for €20. In all cases you also get between 300 minutes to unlimited minutes of local calls, 300-800 minutes of International call time and SMS txt messages as part of the bundle.

See: https://www.vodafone.es/c/particula...s/movil/prepago-y-recargas/prepaid-sim-cards/

Last edited:
Any apps on our phones that uses a lot of data? For example google maps / Whattsapp etc? We just want to work out the cheapest route to go.
Thanks
I bought the global option as we travelled from Australia, stopping in Singapore then Frankfurt arriving in Porto and Santiago. Then we headed to the UK.
I bought 10GB but ended up using more as we used google maps when we arrived at towns plus using Wise Pilgrim when needed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Then you probably want to look at a network provider rather than a tiny third party company that targets tourists.

For example, Vodafone Spain offers 50 Gb for €10; 100Gb for €15 or 140Gb for €20. In all cases you also get between 300 minutes to unlimited minutes of local calls, 300-800 minutes of International call time and SMS txt messages as part of the bundle.

See: https://www.vodafone.es/c/particula...s/movil/prepago-y-recargas/prepaid-sim-cards/
Does vodaphone have an eSIM option? Can you buy it at the airport in Madrid? I am in the USA.

Does vodaphone have an eSIM option? Can you buy it at the airport in Madrid? I am in the USA.
I’m in Spain now and have been to both Orange and Vodaphone and both say they can’t help me because I have an e-sim.
Im going back to Vodaphone again this afternoon and show them an article from Apple support. Otherwise, I guess I’ll buy one of those plans mentioned in this thread

I’m in Spain now and have been to both Orange and Vodaphone and both say they can’t help me because I have an e-sim.
Im going back to Vodaphone again this afternoon and show them an article from Apple support. Otherwise, I guess I’ll buy one of those plans mentioned in this thread

From Vodafone

Can all Vodafone customers activate their line with eSIM on their smartphone?
No, the service is available only for individual Clients and Professional and Small Business prepaid and postpaid compatible with any rate that the Client has.

If you are a new prepaid customer, it is necessary to activate the line first using a physical SIM and then make the change to eSIM (by requesting it in a store, using the usual procedure)

Also per the website, vodafone only support iphone 14/pro/max and Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4.

From Vodafone

Can all Vodafone customers activate their line with eSIM on their smartphone?
No, the service is available only for individual Clients and Professional and Small Business prepaid and postpaid compatible with any rate that the Client has.

If you are a new prepaid customer, it is necessary to activate the line first using a physical SIM and then make the change to eSIM (by requesting it in a store, using the usual procedure)

Also per the website, vodafone only support iphone 14/pro/max and Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4.

On the surface this seems to be correct but if you delve deeper then you will see this:

Immediately below is a Google Translate section of text and below that the original Spanish language text from the Vodafone Spain website

Not all smartphones have this functionality, you can only activate it on:
Apple: iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone SE, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7.
Samsung: Galaxy Z Flip 4 5G, Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G, Galaxy Z Flip 4G, Galaxy Z Fold 4 5G, Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G, Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G, Galaxy Fold 4G, Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S22+ 5G, Galaxy S22 5G, Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S21+ 5G, Galaxy S21 5G, Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S20 + 5G, Galaxy S20 + 4G, Galaxy S20 5G, Galaxy S20 4G, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy Note 20 5G , Galaxy Note 20 4G.
Huawei: P40, P40 Pro, Mate 40 Pro.
Google: Pixel 7 Pro, Pixel 7, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 6a, Pixel 6, Pixel 5a, Pixel, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2.
Oppo: Reno6 Pro 5G, Reno 5 A, Find X5 Pro 5G, Find X5 5G, Find X3 Pro, A55s.
Sony: Xperia 10 III Lite, Xperia 1 IV.
Motorola: Razr 5G, Razr 2019.

Note: If you have an iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro that does not have a physical SIM slot (for example, if you bought it in the US), then you will have to activate it with an eSIM.

--------

No todos los smartphones tienen esta funcionalidad, sólo podrás activarla en:
Apple: iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone SE, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7.
Samsung: Galaxy Z Flip 4 5G, Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G, Galaxy Z Flip 4G, Galaxy Z Fold 4 5G, Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G, Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G, Galaxy Fold 4G, Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S22+ 5G, Galaxy S22 5G, Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S21+ 5G, Galaxy S21 5G, Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S20 + 5G, Galaxy S20 + 4G, Galaxy S20 5G, Galaxy S20 4G, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy Note 20 5G, Galaxy Note 20 4G.
Huawei: P40, P40 Pro, Mate 40 Pro.
Google: Pixel 7 Pro, Pixel 7, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 6a, Pixel 6, Pixel 5a, Pixel, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2.
Oppo: Reno6 Pro 5G, Reno 5 A, Find X5 Pro 5G, Find X5 5G, Find X3 Pro, A55s.
Sony: Xperia 10 III Lite, Xperia 1 IV.
Motorola: Razr 5G, Razr 2019.

Nota: Si tienes un iPhone 14 o iPhone 14 Pro que no tiene slot de SIM física (por ejemplo, si lo has comprado en EEUU), entonces tendrás que activarlo con una eSIM.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had to buy a pre-paid physical sim.
That is because the staff at the Vodafone Spain store that you went to are unfamiliar with USA iPhones.

What I found when I was in Madrid six months ago is that many of the smaller Vodafone stores have relatively inexperienced staff working for them (I guess that they don't pay much 😕) and were often very busy and so when I asked about things that I knew were possible but were a bit complicated then I was told that the thing I asked about was impossible and I was invited to do it an easier way.

On the other hand when I went into a major Vodafone store in the centre of Madrid and asked about the same thing there I was able to do it.

Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where that Vodafone store is 😞 but it was in a major tourist hub and they were very familiar with things related to phones from outside Spain and the EU.

All too bluddy complicated for me. I just use weefee whenever available and suck-up my network providers’ roaming charges when necessary. The additional financial impact over many years has been minimal. The release from the stress of reading 900 pages of termsandconditions, variationstotermsandconditionsdependentongeographiclocatio and texts from The Beloved requesting my whereabouts.

So I can’t really help the OP but I can say that I prefer to buy my meat from my butcher rather than someone who buys meat from a butcher and offers to sell me it for less than Sid would have sold it in the first place 😈

Yes, Vodafone Spain (and undoubtedly the other two big network providers) support eSIMs.

The complicating factor if you are from the USA and have a phone that only uses eSIMs is that most customer service staff are unfamiliar with this and, especially if they are busy, they will tell that it can't be done.

You would think that the Vodafone Spain store in the Madrid airport would be familiar with this stuff but my experience with them is that the staff there are really busy and they avoid anything complicated and they are probably new to the job and poorly trained.

I found the most knowledgeable Vodafone Spain store and staff were in central Madrid on the side of a popular tourist square. Sorry, I have forgotten the exact address 😕

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks to @Rick of Rick and Peg’s post in this thread, I learned about this site, which I found to be very helpful in explaining the various and myriad SIM and (especially) eSIM options:

Among other things, it explains the difference between Airalo and Holafly, and why the latter’s “unlimited data” plan is misleading (apparently they throttle data speeds at whim, making it occasionally useless).

Based on Tom’s advice, though, I will probably be buying an Orange Holiday Europe 50GB eSIM from simoptions.com for my CP this spring. Much less expensive than using the ATT International Day Pass service I used for my last Camino (which cost me $200+ for six weeks), and really not that much more complicated to use now that I have an eSIM-compatible phone.

Last edited:
@SeñorJacques - your link for simoptions is not working for me. Can you please check it? Thank you.

Edit: Was it supposed to be simoptions.com? That's the site mentioned in your first link.

@SeñorJacques - your link for simoptions is not working for me. Can you please check it? Thank you.

Edit: Was it supposed to be simoptions.com? That's the site mentioned in your first link.

Yes, should be .com and not .net as I mistakenly typed. Sorry about that! ‘Tis been fixed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That is because the staff at the Vodafone Spain store that you went to are unfamiliar with USA iPhones.

What I found when I was in Madrid six months ago is that many of the smaller Vodafone stores have relatively inexperienced staff working for them (I guess that they don't pay much 😕) and were often very busy and so when I asked about things that I knew were possible but were a bit complicated then I was told that the thing I asked about was impossible and I was invited to do it an easier way.

On the other hand when I went into a major Vodafone store in the centre of Madrid and asked about the same thing there I was able to do it.

Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where that Vodafone store is 😞 but it was in a major tourist hub and they were very familiar with things related to phones from outside Spain and the EU.
Do you know anything about vodaphone stores at the Madrid airport?

Yes, I would avoid the airport store if possible and visit one of the many branded Vodafone stores in Central Madrid. The mobile phone store at Madrid airport is not a Vodafone store. It is a general agency that sells lots of different stuff including SIM cards but, in my opinion, I wouldn't trust their expertise.

Most home country phone plans will give you a day of data roaming at an affordable price and so using that if you need Google Maps will get you into the city to buy a better value SIM from someone with some expertise.

Hi,
Has anyone used the Airalo app on the CF recently?
Which data network on the app would you suggest for Spain?
I see the option is Guay mobile that uses Moviestar lite as the network. Anyone familiar with that?
We just want a basic plan for a back up.
Thanks so much.
I’ve used aíralo in Spain and other countries. I like it and it works well. With the app you can buy the e- sim prior to setting off and it activates when you land ( I make sure on the plane over to Spain you turn off data on your regular carrier and make your e-sim primary) I do that otherwise my US plan automatically charges me $10/day for international. You probably don’t need more than 5 Gigs/ month and can always top off. Aíralo reminds you when used up data or is expiring. I just pick a local carrier or let them pick Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great!
I’ve used aíralo in Spain and other countries. I like it and it works well. With the app you can buy the e- sim prior to setting off and it activates when you land ( I make sure on the plane over to Spain you turn off data on your regular carrier and make your e-sim primary) I do that otherwise my US plan automatically charges me $10/day for international. You probably don’t need more than 5 Gigs/ month and can always top off. Aíralo reminds you when used up data or is expiring. I just pick a local carrier or let them pick Buen camino!
Thanks!

Thanks
I think what used a lot of my data allocation with Airalo in Italy last summer was using turn by turn navigation in the car. This wouldn't be the case on the camino. Another thing that made me spend more was that a couple of times I needed to call a local phone number (restaurant and hotel) that didn't have WhatsApp. So I needed to activate my US AT&T line which caused me to incur the AT&T International fee of $10/day (even though I only needed to make 1 call that day). I do use a lot of apps and I did use google maps a lot while walking around but I don't believe those alone would have maxed out my data.
If you think you can always wait to use Wifi if you need to make a phone call to say a landline not on WhatApp, then I think Airalo can be much cheaper than Holafly, even if you later buy 1 top up.

I think what used a lot of my data allocation with Airalo in Italy last summer was using turn by turn navigation in the car. This wouldn't be the case on the camino. Another thing that made me spend more was that a couple of times I needed to call a local phone number (restaurant and hotel) that didn't have WhatsApp. So I needed to activate my US AT&T line which caused me to incur the AT&T International fee of $10/day (even though I only needed to make 1 call that day). I do use a lot of apps and I did use google maps a lot while walking around but I don't believe those alone would have maxed out my data.
If you think you can always wait to use Wifi if you need to make a phone call to say a landline not on WhatApp, then I think Airalo can be much cheaper than Holafly, even if you later buy 1 top up.

Well, you could have bought Skype credit or a Skype subscription that allows you to call Spanish mobiles for a few cents a minute on WiFi.
Or buy a local sim for under 15 Euros month.

But I guess you pay for convenience and if you think $10 a phonecall is worth it for convenience, no one is going to argue with you

Well, you could have bought Skype credit or a Skype subscription that allows you to call Spanish mobiles for a few cents a minute on WiFi.
Or buy a local sim for under 15 Euros month.

But I guess you pay for convenience and if you think $10 a phonecall is worth it for convenience, no one is going to argue with you
Yes you are right, but I hadn't prepared and was stuck in the moment and had to resort to my AT&T line. Truthfully at the time I thought I was just using my cellular AT&T for the one call but I turned the whole line on which triggered the day use charge of $10. So it is worth it to prepare ahead of time to ensure you can make a VOIP call even if the recipient is a landline or not on WhatsApp.

Yes you are right, but I hadn't prepared and was stuck in the moment and had to resort to my AT&T line. Truthfully at the time I thought I was just using my cellular AT&T for the one call but I turned the whole line on which triggered the day use charge of $10. So it is worth it to prepare ahead of time to ensure you can make a VOIP call even if the recipient is a landline or not on WhatsApp.
I've been using an app called Viber for years to make phone calls to landlines and other numbers that don't have WhatsApp while I'm in Europe. I bought $5 worth of credits a couple of years ago, and still have much of it left.

Another pilgrim I was walking with for 3 weeks had Airlo and had to use my hot spot because he was always running low on data. I used a Vodaphone SIM card that I was very pleased with. It came with an insane amount of data and minutes, they remind you when your monthly plan is about to expire, less than 30 euros a month, no initiation fee. Will definitely use their service again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.