• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valcarlos accommodation question

KayVee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
We are considering taking the valcarlos route from StJPdP in mid-August. We haven't yet decided whether to go all the way to roncesvalles or stay overnight in valcarlos. Do we need to book ahead in Valcarlos or could we just show up? Also I understand that the albergue in Roncesvalles requires reservations - but if we push ahead to say Burguete, do we still need to book ahead?

Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Valcarlos municipal albergue has few beds so a reservation is safest. You can book via either of theses email addresses.
Luzaide-Valcarlos@wanadoo.es.
or
turismo@luzaide-valcarlos.net

Do be aware that from Valcarlos upto Roncesvalles monastery there are no services nor potabile water. Buy any trail snacks that you might need walking when you arrive in Valcarlos so that you can leave early from Valcarlos before the shops are open. Be prepared!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
The Valcarlos municipal albergue has few beds so a reservation is safest. You can book via either of theses email addresses.
Luzaide-Valcarlos@wanadoo.es.
or
turismo@luzaide-valcarlos.net

Do be aware that from Valcarlos upto Roncesvalles monastery there are no services nor potabile water. Buy any trail snacks that you might need walking when you arrive in Valcarlos so that you can leave early from Valcarlos before the shops are open. Be prepared!

Good luck and Buen camino!
I took mspath's advise and have stayed at the municipal albergue in Valcarlos twice with no regrets in mid April. The first time I was one of only four persons staying and had no reservation. The 2nd time was Holy week so I emailed in a reservation as she has suggested here. I was surprised you could do that since it is not a private albergue.

Two reasons why I've liked staying in Valcarlos. It breaks up the walk to Roncevalles in to two days, which is great for easing into the walking as the 2nd day especially has lots of elevation gain. Secondly, most everyone stays in the large converted monestary in Roncevalles and you can relax and be sure of arriving early enough to get a bed as you've walked fewer kilometers that day. A win, win in my opinion.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We are considering taking the valcarlos route from StJPdP in mid-August. We haven't yet decided whether to go all the way to roncesvalles or stay overnight in valcarlos. Do we need to book ahead in Valcarlos or could we just show up? Also I understand that the albergue in Roncesvalles requires reservations - but if we push ahead to say Burguete, do we still need to book ahead?

Thank you!

Hi, if you start walking to Valcarlos on a fine, clear day, everyone else will be taking the Napolean route, so the albergue in Valcarlos will be quite empty. That’s what happened to me. The following day I reached Roncesvalles quite early, and it was very quiet, as all the pilgrims had left, and the next lot hadn’t yet arrived. I had a leisurely cold beer, and then wandered on to Viskarret, about 24kms from Valcarlos. I hadn't made any bookings.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A formal water fountain (with a shell), a modern faucet, and a "no potable" sign. :eek:o_O This is when you walk a short distance by the paved road, after Gainekoleta.
I walked the Valcarlos route last year and remember that fountain. As I recall the "non-potable" sign is because the water is not routinely tested and therefore cannot be officially certified safe. Not quite the same as saying it is poor quality. With no very likely sources of pollution obvious I and two other very thirsty walkers that day decided to take our chances and had no ill effects.

I thought you can not pre book municipal albergue. Perhaps its a private albergue. Appricate information as i have a fews frieds droping in there in early septembet ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought you can not pre book municipal albergue. Perhaps its a private albergue. Appricate information as i have a fews frieds droping in there in early septembet ?
The Valcarlos albergue is indeed a municipal albergue with the distinction of accepting reservations.

I thought the same thing and it is "usually" true. I was surprised you could book ahead at this municipal, but mspath knows what she is talking about!

Thanks. E mail gone out and as they will walk from sjpdep without stoping good idea to book bed

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Valcarlos albergue is fantastic! Clean, comfortable, free laundry, in a lovely town with friendly residents. The hospi is a really nice fellow who also is part of the rescue crew that goes out when pilgrims are in trouble/lost. He has some interesting stories. The view upon waking is spectacular (the windows face the mountains; all you can see of houses, farms are little pixie sized places and at night, their lights look like fairie lights!)

Last edited:
The Valcarlos albergue is fantastic! Clean, comfortable, free laundry, in a lovely town with friendly residents. The hospi is a really nice fello who also is part of the rescue crew that goes out when pilgrims are in trouble/lost. He has some interesting stories. The view upon waking is spectacular (the windows face the mountains; all you can see of houses, farms are little pixie sized places and at night, their lights look like fairie lights!)
All so very true!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.