• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Napoleon or valcarlos

DominiqueMich

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese - 2023
Frances - ‘22,’23,’24
Hello everyone! I have a booking in Borda, and am a little confused as to which route I should take or do they both lead to Borda? Also, really want to see (weather permitting) the statue of the Virgin of Orrison. Is that on the Napoleon route?
Thank you in advance for all info!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The statue is not that imposing, in my opinion.

I suspect that most pilgrims walk past it without even realising that it is there.

I waited in the carpark close to the statue for several hours on one of the busiest days on record for that part of the Camino Frances while hundreds of pilgrims walked past, less than ten visited the statue.

I waited in the carpark close to the statue for several hours on one of the busiest days on record for that part of the Camino Frances while hundreds of pilgrims walked past, less than ten visited the statue.
Maybe your tiger had something to do with that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Welcome to the Forum
So.... off to the Napoleon Route you climb, say 2-2.5 hours you will come to a huge deck/veranda which belongs to Auberge Orisson (oh yeah kinda hard to miss that one too). Sit dow, take a load off, hava a sandwich and some Basqu beer... hopefully it is nice and sunny so enjoy the stupendous views of Pyrenees.

Then trudge perhaps another 1-1.5km to Borda (on your left IIRC)
next morning continue climbing slightly less than 3km and you'll come to The Virgin. Unless its way too foggy you can't miss here - The Camino takes a sharp turn to the right, there is a parking area at 9 o'clock and she is more or less 10 o'clock (if you know what I am saying) on some small stone outcropping.

Then after you finished your visit stop at the famous lunch truck and soon after you will be coming accross the Croix de Thibault and leave the road to follow the signs to the right.... you're almost out of France and into Espagna....:)

Buen Camino!!!!

The statue is not that imposing, in my opinion.
It's not imposing, and therefore easily missed as you say.

But, it's the location of it that makes this a beautiful thing to see, I was lucky to see it in good weather, but equally in bad weather it must be a wonderful thing to stumble upon for many who will be on their first day.
20230925_082029~2.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
next morning continue climbing slightly less than 3km and you'll come to The Virgin. Unless its way too foggy you can't miss here
You'll probably have plenty of time left on day one so you can drop your pack off at Borda and make a round-trip to The Virgin to see her in the afternoon too. You'll have twice the opportunity to get a good picture.

Last edited:
Hi Welcome to the Forum
So.... off to the Napoleon Route you climb, say 2-2.5 hours you will come to a huge deck/veranda which belongs to Auberge Orisson (oh yeah kinda hard to miss that one too). Sit dow, take a load off, hava a sandwich and some Basqu beer... hopefully it is nice and sunny so enjoy the stupendous views of Pyrenees.

next morning continue climbing slightly less than 3km and you'll come to The Virgin. Unless its way too foggy you can't miss here - The Camino takes a sharp turn to the right, there is a parking area at 9 o'clock and she is more or less 10 o'clock (if you know what I am saying) on some small stone outcropping.

Then after you finished your visit stop at the famous lunch truck and soon after you will be coming accross the Croix de Thibault and leave the road to follow the signs to the right.... you're almost out of France and into Espagna....:)

Buen Camino!!!!
Thank you for such detailed info!

Hello everyone! I have a booking in Borda, and am a little confused as to which route I should take or do they both lead to Borda? Also, really want to see (weather permitting) the statue of the Virgin of Orrison. Is that on the Napoleon route?
The Napoleon route is truly striking , it’s a challenging start but on a clear day quite a sight. I’ve been over it five times and proud to say down the trail I started on the Napoleon route , not Pamplona or Roncevalles or even v Carlos, “ start at the beginning and go on to the end “

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve been over it five times and proud to say down the trail I started on the Napoleon route , not Pamplona or Roncevalles or even v Carlos, “ start at the beginning and go on to the end “
Hey, hey, come on now. 😄 We started in SJPdP and made it to SdC (and beyond) by using the Valcarlos route. The difficulty between the two isn't that much different.

Actually we would have liked to do the Napoleón ourselves but when the weather report indicates a good probability of lightning that isn't the way to go.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Borda is over the Napoleon route over the Pyrenees to get there it’s just passed Orisson. After your stay at Borda your reach the Virgen statue en route over the mountain. I don’t know when you intend to set off but the Pilgrims Office that you check in will tell you if the Napoleon route is open and safe if your going late March/early April time. Otherwise your have to walk the valley route via Varcarlos instead. There’s some great Apps out there that show you the entire route with satellite images so you can really get acquainted with the alternative routes, which sometimes can be a little more realistic then the various paper back guide books. I walked over and it was a fantastic experience. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back