• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valcarlos>Roncesvalles - any off from the road?

Sarah80

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk july 15
Back in summer I walked this route and this stretch was 90% on a long winding upwards road. I've watched vlogs of others doing this path and I've seen them in woods so I'm guessing there are earlier paths that do hook up with the Napoleon route earlier than I did which was about 1km from Roncesvalles next to a big barn looking building on the left (ibaneta)?

Where can you come off on this road to walk in nature instead of along the road? I'll be there on Saturday walking this stretch and don't fancy the Tarmac again.

Cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Sarah, just after Valcarlos the trail leaves the road on your left and plunges down to a ravine then back up again. This is to avoid a long turn in the road, if my memory serves me right this happens twice. The path can be very muddy and is hard going on the way back up. My advice for what its worth would be to stay on the main road, its a little longer but a lot easier.
Wishing you a Happy New Year and a safe and Buen Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A good English description of the Valcarlos alternate is this in the Navarre website http://www.turismo.navarra.es/eng/p...on-practica/etapas/etapa-1-camino-frances.htm.

When in SJPdP pick up a free copy of the map sheet showing the alternate route with photos of the important turns into the woods

Once in Navarre the road N135 borders the alternate. In inclement weather ie rain, fog or snow it is much safer to walk on the left verges of the road than to follow the alternate path into the woods.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2010, I recall the major stretch of road was a stretch of the N135 after Valcarlos. I don't recall it all being on the road, but major parts of the stretch were. It is about six km from Valcarlos before the path leaves the road and you walk in forest for the rest of the time to Roncesvalles. When I walked, the way marking was pretty good for the point where the camino leaves the road (but that just means that it wasn't a marker that I missed seeing!).

The weather in Northern Spain seems to have just taken a tun for the worse with rain forecast for each of the first 6 days.

In this case, looks like the road is the best bet.

I hope that forecast is out, I had a couple of days rain in Galicia that were pretty miserable mostly because I could never get my clothes properly dry (dryers on the albergue never seem to get anything truly dry!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back