A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Variante Espiritual: Walking the last 100K - starting point?

2020 Camino Guides

MaxHelado

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to walk the Camino Portugués Tui to Santiago
My camino plans gather pace but not as fast as my frustration and head scratching đŸ˜€
I now have the Wise Pilgrim book covering the Camino Portugues and I've used the distances to map out my route from Baiona to Santiago via the Variante Espiritual.
Excluding the boat trip I now have a total distance of 124 km! Significantly more than the 100k I had been planning.
My maths tells me that I could safely start in Vigo and still walk more than the required minimum of 100km (105.6km to be precise).
Any Variante Espiritual walkers have a view on Vigo as a start point?

MaxHelado

Camino(s) past & future
Amendment: the Wise Pilgrim Guide shows Vigo as 96.7km from Vigo and later says that the Variante Espiritual "adds 8.2km of walking" which gives a total distance of 104.9km

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
thank you@ gollygolly

Last edited:

MaxHelado

Camino(s) past & future
Apologies, gollygolly. I missed your original posting - I have no idea why - and only spotted it when Fleur responded.
The link is super-useful as are the links within the link.
Thank you for sharing this. Great stuff.

SioCamino

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, CPo 2016, VDLP[Sev-CĂĄc] 2017, VDLP[CĂĄc-Sal] 2018
Amendment: the Wise Pilgrim Guide shows Vigo as 96.7km from Vigo and later says that the Variante Espiritual "adds 8.2km of walking" which gives a total distance of 104.9km
To the best of my knowledge the Pilgrim Office does not recognise the Spiritual Variant so any extra kms by the route would not be counted if you are seeking a Compostela. I can’t remember now whether Vigo is classed as a min 100km route to SdC. (I think it is)

MaxHelado

Camino(s) past & future
Hello! Just to reply to my own post, I've been looking at the new Cathedral de Santiago credencial. On the back where it has the Camino Portugues en Epana, Camino Ingles y Camino de Fisterra y Muxia it states that: 'para poser obtainer la "Compostela'" la variante spiritual debe iniciarse, como minima en Porrino o Vigo' This is what I was told by the office managers, but if you meet someone at the desk who tells you that you don't have enough kilometres show them this statement. If you have an old credencial, ask them to drag out a new one (there is a drawer of these next to each station) flip to the page mentioned above and point this out. I did the Portugues by the central route i 2009. I'm looking forward to the coastal route and variante spiritual.

Buen Camino!
Hi, SioCamino
Here is the perhaps the most authoritative statement I've found on the recognition of the Variante Espiritual. It is from someone who has worked in the Pilgrims' Office and even seems to know which drawer the key documents are kept in! It seems quite clear from this that the Variante is recognised and that Vigo and Porrino are accepted as 100K start points.

SioCamino

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, CPo 2016, VDLP[Sev-CĂĄc] 2017, VDLP[CĂĄc-Sal] 2018
Thanks - yeah I couldn’t remember 100% on the Vigo starting point. In terms of providing Certifícate of Distance, the distance is not adjusted for having gone via the spiritual variant.... So for example someone who walked the spiritual variant from whatever starting point will have the same number of kms on the Cert of Distance as if they walked the main route.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 52 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 185 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 297 24.4%
  • June

Votes: 86 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 349 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 149 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock