• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vasco in December

jcat

Time of past OR future Camino
2016-2023
I planned on walking the Camino Vasco next spring, but I just had a free week open up in early December during a longer trip in Spain. I'm now considering doing Irun - Vitoria/Gasteiz that week.

2 questions:

Thoughts on the December weather? Cold and rain, I can handle; just hoping for no snow near the Tunnel de San Adrian.

Any good phone Apps with maps for the Vasco? I used the Wise Pilgrim app on the Ingles, which was great.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did the 2nd half of the Vasco/Via Bayonne in January 2023 from Vitoria to Burgos. It was cold! And it did snow the day I was in Burgos.
I did read 2 different blogs of others who did the Vasco/Via Bayonne in winter (will try to find and post links later) with one having significant snow and the other a little or none (can't quite remember). Early December is heading into winter and while less likely to have snow than say in January there are no guarantees which way things will go.

As for info - Gronze was the best source with up to date accomodation and its possible to download tracks to a map app (eg maps.me. organic maps etc).

I planned on walking the Camino Vasco next spring, but I just had a free week open up in early December during a longer trip in Spain. I'm now considering doing Irun - Vitoria/Gasteiz that week.

2 questions:

Thoughts on the December weather? Cold and rain, I can handle; just hoping for no snow near the Tunnel de San Adrian.

Any good phone Apps with maps for the Vasco? I used the Wise Pilgrim app on the Ingles, which was great.

If you are on FB, there is also a group for the Vasco!
But yes, Gronze is the best source.
Enjoy, it is a gorgeous Camino.
Do not miss the albergue in Beasain and have some food at restaurant AMA in Tolosa

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are on FB, there is also a group for the Vasco!
But yes, Gronze is the best source.
Enjoy, it is a gorgeous Camino.
Do not miss the albergue in Beasain and have some food at restaurant AMA in Tolosa
Unfortunately the wonderful albergue in Beasain closes end of October & doesn’t re-open until the middle of March.

One winter blog which links to detailed Facebook account

Another is

I can't find the one that talked about snow- thought I had bookmarked it but didn't

I did the 2nd half of the Vasco/Via Bayonne in January 2023 from Vitoria to Burgos. It was cold! And it did snow the day I was in Burgos.
I did read 2 different blogs of others who did the Vasco/Via Bayonne in winter (will try to find and post links later) with one having significant snow and the other a little or none (can't quite remember). Early December is heading into winter and while less likely to have snow than say in January there are no guarantees which way things will go.

As for info - Gronze was the best source with up to date accomodation and its possible to download tracks to a map app (eg maps.me. organic maps etc).
Thanks, I need to figure out how to download some tracks for this one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks, I need to figure out how to download some tracks for this one.
There are tracks on Gronze available to download - you need to create an account on it, and for each stage under the "Recorrido" ie "Route" there is a link to download.

I used the Buen Camino app on the Vasco and found it very good. The information on accommodation etc. isn't as good as Gronze, but the route map and distances are simple and clear.
Happy planning and Buen Camino!

I used the Buen Camino app on the Vasco and found it very good. The information on accommodation etc. isn't as good as Gronze, but the route map and distances are simple and clear.
Happy planning and Buen Camino!
Thanks for the info! Turns out I already have the Buen Camino app, and it looks good. I'm mostly after the map feature, just to double check my location if I am ever between longer stretches with no arrows.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Found the other blog I read with snow

2 questions:

This answer might be too late, but could be be helpful for others. Wikiloc app it's a really good mountain trail app, there you can find all Camino trails, also this Vasco from the valley or the mountain alternative. You'll have to pay for an annual pay but it's really worth doing it.

This answer might be too late, but could be be helpful for others. Wikiloc app it's a really good mountain trail app, there you can find all Camino trails, also this Vasco from the valley or the mountain alternative. You'll have to pay for an annual pay but it's really worth doing it.
Thanks! I ended up using the Mapy.cz app and it was perfect for my needs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back