• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam287

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk August or September 2017
Hi, I'm Pam, I'm starting my first camino- VDLP on September 6 from Seville...not long to go now. Am excited and a little nervous but so looking forward to it. Anyone else going at that time?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome Pam, and Buen Camino. I hope you get some responses from those who have been on the VdlP in September; I'm contemplating it but wondering about the long stages and heat.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome Pam, and Buen Camino. I hope you get some responses from those who have been on the VdlP in September; I'm contemplating it but wondering about the long stages and heat.
Thanks Kanga, I'm a bit nervous about the heat and distances too otherwise terribly excited.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do you want the bad news? I don't want to discourage you if your heart is set on the Via.

Last edited:
Do you want the bad news? I don't want to discourage you if you heart is set on the Via.
No, no give me the bad news...I'm happy for advise.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Vdlp is much harder, imo, than the Camino Frances. Long hard stages with nothing in between, no cafes, no villages, no water fountains, no other people during the day while walking, no, or not much, choice about where to stay, very little infrastructure.

I'd done ten long distance caminos before the Vdlp, including the Frances, the Le Puy, and the Norte, and never had a problem. It was only on the Vdlp that my feet packed it in.

I walked from Seville after Easter this year and really enjoyed it.There were many more pilgrims than in 2012 and more English speakers. I did walk with a friend who spoke Spanish which made a big difference. Had to return home from Salamanca due to family reason but will recommence alone from Salamanca on 9th September this year . I'm thinking you will meet many pilgrims from Seville ,Pam. Hopefully I will also. The VDLP has become much more popular. I carried two bottles of water and the only day I finished them was a long,hot day to San Pedro de Rosada. I have walked the Sanabrese before and loved it. Carry snacks for lunch but many in between villages have cafes now.

I walked from Seville after Easter this year and really enjoyed it.There were many more pilgrims than in 2012 and more English speakers. I did walk with a friend who spoke Spanish which made a big difference. Had to return home from Salamanca due to family reason but will recommence alone from Salamanca on 9th September this year . I'm thinking you will meet many pilgrims from Seville ,Pam. Hopefully I will also. The VDLP has become much more popular. I carried two bottles of water and the only day I finished them was a long,hot day to San Pedro de Rosada. I have walked the Sanabrese before and loved it. Carry snacks for lunch but many in between villages have cafes now.
Thank you. I have a lot of thinking to do between now and when I plan to leave.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Vdlp is much harder, imo, than the Camino Frances. Long hard stages with nothing in between, no cafes, no villages, no water fountains, no other people during the day while walking, no, or not much, choice about where to stay, very little infrastructure.

I'd done ten long distance caminos before the Vdlp, including the Frances, the Le Puy, and the Norte, and never had a problem. It was only on the Vdlp that my feet packed it in.
Thanks Kanga, that gives me a lot to think about. I'm not pushed for time, the only criteria I have is to be in Lisbon in time for a flight on November 30.

Hi Pam. I walked the VDLP last September starting out on the 18th. It was still very, very hot at that time of the year. It was a wonderful Camino but also extremely challenging. Honestly, if it had been my first Camino I think I would have given up within a few days. But that's me and you may well be made of sterner stuff!
I had walked the Frances twice. Yes, it's busier. But so beautiful and evocative...
Whatever you decide to do i wish you a Buen Camino.

@pam287 the problem with the Vdlp is that the stretches between villages and accommodation can be long, and there is nothing you can do to shorten them (except catch a taxi). So the fact that you have plenty of time does not really help. At that time of the year, and with that much time, if it were me, on my first camino, I'd start walking in Le Puy and keep going until I got to Santiago de Compostela.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@pam287 the problem with the Vdlp is that the stretches between villages and accommodation can be long, and there is nothing you can do to shorten them (except catch a taxi). So the fact that you have plenty of time does not really help. At that time of the year, and with that much time, if it were me, on my first camino, I'd start walking in Le Puy and keep going until I got to Santiago de Compostela.
Nah, it's not that hard. September is a good time to go, it's not hot and you'll still get to Santiago before the wet season sets in. Do your research and pick the route that interest you most. Vdp is an old roman road that runs through open farmland where they nut fatten pigs, if you like the open road and want less crowds then this is the route for you. CF is a more popular route with better infrastructure and a lot more towns, so if you want to meet lots of other pilgrims and have concerns about your fitness and ability to walk 30km day after day, then do the French route. You will find hills either way, especially if you leave from Le Puy.

Yes, VDLP is less hilly, little,huffing and puffing as you climb your way to windmills, but as Kanga said there is little option to shorten days and no options to refill on water. Even calling a taxi is often impossible as you are walking in places only accessible by ATVs. All of this would be fine, except that you are heading out in early September which is HOT.

Here is what Accuweather has as a "forecast" for September: high 90s into the 100s. Oven like in my book. I walked in April in 27C and it was getting hard by 1pm, I cannot imagine walking at 37C.

https://www.accuweather.com/es/es/seville/306733/september-weather/306733?monyr=9/1/2017

Here is another site with temps you could expect:

http://www.donde-y-cuando.net/when/europa/espana/sevilla/septiembre/

So carry a lot of water, use one of the silver reflective umbrellas and carry a cell in case of emergency.

Had you said you were walking in October I would have been envious, forst C. or not.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I second what Kanga is saying, you're jumping in the deep end but some people like it that way. All the best.

@hel&scott I found it hard!
It is harder then the French route for sure, but not that hard. It's not the Levant, now that was hard.

Tempertures start to drop in September, nothing like the heat of July August, and while the Southern end (where you start) is hotter, it gets pretty cold by late September up on the high plateau around Salamanca, and then the rains come as you head into Gallicia. Plenty of advice on the Vdp forum and blogs, a camel and spare bottle essential for water, and it's a long walk, not like NZ tramps so you need to pack differently but Pam, talk to your friends who recommended it, or other kiwis like us who have done it, September isn't that far a away but still plenty of time to finish your research.

My consern is that you will find it lonely, there is another thred that dares to suggest that the vdp is only done by old men... But l loved if and will be heading back next September with my daughter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If someone is not doing the Camino Frances because it is "hilly" then that suggests they are not looking for something harder, but something easier.
Kanga,

I feel that one's memory of how a C. was can be tainted by certain factors which leads to forgetting how things realy were: falling in love, a last moment with a loved, or simply company which distracted you from foot pain. Alas perception sometimes has little to do with reality.

@hel&scott I really like your blog and respect much of what you say on the Forum, but it is definitely going to be hot in September leaving Seville. Surely there can be no debate about that. It will be cooler than July, but 38C or 100F is hot in anyone's book, and that temperature is a good possibility anytime in the first half of the September. Again, there might be more difficult Caminos, but I've never heard anyone say the VdlP "it's not that hard". In level of difficulty, it is much more challenging than the Frances (due to several factors already mentioned by others in this thread), and the hills on the Sanabres match anything the Frances has to offer, which is one of the concerns of the OP. I wish both you and @pam287 a very Buen Camino, wherever you decide to walk next.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@hel&scott I really like your blog and respect much of what you say on the Forum, but it is definitely going to be hot in September leaving Seville. Surely there can be no debate about that.
When dealing with area where heat can kill, it pays to be conservative and not risk one's life based on hear say.

Some comments are simply dangerous and irresponsible,

Last edited by a moderator:
@pam287 is there a particular reason to walk this route instead of the Camino Frances for a first camino?
Only that I know some people that have done it and recommended it and not as hilly as the Francés way.
Not a compelling reason! ;) The VDLP is not physically easier than the Frances for the reasons mentioned - heat and distances without even a bench to sit on. The other key challenges would be the likelihood of solitary days, and dealing with people who don't speak English. It is hard to give advice without knowing a bit about you and what attracts you to any Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow, lots to think about, thanks everyone.
I walked some of each Camino, Frances and VDLP in April/May this year. SOOooooo different. It is hard to say what you should do and both were amazing, though just look at the word in stones in my new avatar pic taken on the VDLP where we discovered these stones on an overpass bridge. The VDLP is tough. The Camino Frances is more supported. What are your aims and expectations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, VDLP is less hilly, little,huffing and puffing as you climb your way to windmills, but as Kanga said there is little option to shorten days and no options to refill on water. Even calling a taxi is often impossible as you are walking in places only accessible by ATVs. All of this would be fine, except that you are heading out in early September which is HOT.

Here is what Accuweather has as a "forecast" for September: high 90s into the 100s. Oven like in my book. I walked in April in 27C and it was getting hard by 1pm, I cannot imagine walking at 37C.

https://www.accuweather.com/es/es/seville/306733/september-weather/306733?monyr=9/1/2017

Here is another site with temps you could expect:

http://www.donde-y-cuando.net/when/europa/espana/sevilla/septiembre/

So carry a lot of water, use one of the silver reflective umbrellas and carry a cell in case of emergency.

Had you said you were walking in October I would have been envious, forst C. or not.[/QUO

Yes, I see what you are saying, I didn't realise exactly how hot it was, thanks for that.

Not a compelling reason! ;) The VDLP is not physically easier than the Frances for the reasons mentioned - heat and distances without even a bench to sit on. The other key challenges would be the likelihood of solitary days, and dealing with people who don't speak English. It is hard to give advice without knowing a bit about you and what attracts you to any Camino.
@C clearly , but surely difficulty should not be a reason not to make VDLP a first C. rather than a second, third or fourth. In fact if someone is hoping for a meditation retreat in the Berkshires you would not tell them to go to Disney first to see what the US is like. :eek: If VDLP is what her friends enjoyed and recommend then why not, as a first, second, third C., just not when it's going to be in the mid-thirties day after day after day.

Thanks everyone.
I picked this route for lots of reasons, the solitude being one - although I don't want to be alone the whole way. The lack of mountains to cross being another - I don't do inclines very well unfortunately, I can cover distances that are fairly even pretty well. My reasons for doing this are many as I'm sure all of your reasons are to and I'm sure I'll discover a lot more about myself whilst doing it. For now though, I am looking more at the French or North ways, but not sure how I will do the ascends.

I picked this route for lots of reasons, the solitude being one - although I don't want to be alone the whole way. I don't do inclines very well unfortunately, I can cover distances that are fairly even pretty well ...but not sure how I will do the ascends.
One step at a time. I count mine sometimes, 10, 20 or 50 at a time, depending on the incline. And then I look back and tap myself on the back not believing what I have climbed.

@hel&scott ... it is definitely going to be hot in September leaving Seville. Surely there can be no debate about that... but I've never heard anyone say the VdlP "it's not that hard".
I take your point, but we didn't find it that hot when we did it in September... But then we tended to be on the road before 7am and finish early. The late starters who walked with us used to pull up at lunchtime under what ever shade they could find, have lunch, drink a few bottles of wine and have a siesta before stumbling in late afternoon. I am no spring chicken and not super fit and it was hard, when we struggled at times it was due to our own mistakes such as taking double sections because of lack of accomodation, or following an out of date guide, I think we paint a pretty clear picture of that in our blog. But on the whole, not that hard and I would and will do it again...

Sorry for the ramble Pam, sometimes we get a bit OTT, I think the general view is, what ever route you take you will find it hard at times, suffering is part of the Camino, but despite that we keep at it. Which ever way you choose, we wish you well.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
but surely difficulty should not be a reason not to make VDLP a first C. rather than a second, third or fourth.
I agree. I didn't make a recommendation for or against - I just said that the reason given did not seem to recognize some other factors that perhaps should be considered. VDLP might be fine as a first (or whatever) Camino.

Hi Pam - I walked the VdlP last year and I totally fell in love with it. :D

I walked the CF in 2014 and a small section again in 2015 so this was my third outing. It is very different and in between stages there are no services or support systems but the towns and villages were a bigger than I had expected and there were more pilgrims too ... I would say it's not all flat... there are a few bumpy bits too.
I took a UV umbrella to help with the heat... I left 21 september and it was 38c... although it did start to get cold as we walked further north.

It is an amazing walk... beautiful... amazing... fantastic... did I say beautiful? here's my blog from the start of my walk https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/bordeaux-pizza-goodbyes/

It's tough, it's not as organised as the CF and there are less services, the stages are longer too... and be prepared for some long hot days... but oooh it's wonderful! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone.
I picked this route for lots of reasons, the solitude being one - although I don't want to be alone the whole way. The lack of mountains to cross being another - I don't do inclines very well unfortunately, I can cover distances that are fairly even pretty well. My reasons for doing this are many as I'm sure all of your reasons are to and I'm sure I'll discover a lot more about myself whilst doing it. For now though, I am looking more at the French or North ways, but not sure how I will do the ascends.

Hi Pam and welcome to the forum. You've received some good advice already on this thread! I'll just say that I'm a lot like you in that it takes me a looonnnggg time to go up ascents and I can cover flat distances more quickly. The nice thing about all of the infrastructure on the Francés is that you can break up the ascents into two (or more) stages. You mentioned above that time isn't an issue for you this Camino which is great and lends itself perfectly to taking your time and covering what you want to cover each day - which would be the easiest on the Camino Frances as you would have lodging and food appear pretty regularly.

Enjoy all the planning, whatever you decide, and Buen Camino!
Faith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One step at a time. I count mine sometimes, 10, 20 or 50 at a time, depending on the incline. And then I look back and tap myself on the back not believing what I have climbed.
I, too have been known to do mental arithmetic as well @anemone in conquering hills.

I also developed a couple of mantras when training with @ Kanga. As we would 'power' up steep hills we would say repetitiously in time with our steps "More muscle, less fat!!!"

I also had my own private meditative one I repeated to myself up tough stretches taken from the advice my youngest daughter gave me before I left when I was feeling apprehensive...Mum, you can do this!

So I repeat as necessary to the beat of my footsteps "I can do this, I can do this, I can do this......

Thanks again everyone. Whilst my heart is saying do the VDLP, my head is saying that the CF will be better for me.
I'm not sure why or how I became so set on this route but on reading everyone's responses and the blogs that you have shared, I'm changing my mind. I know that like Colleen's friend from Australia, I too don't like the temperatures in the high 30's and with long stretches without relief seems very daunting. Perhaps I'll put the VDLP off until cooler weather next year but will definitely be doing it sometime. Thanks again everyone.

€149,-
Hi, I'm Pam, I'm starting my first camino- VDLP on September 6 from Seville...not long to go now. Am excited and a little nervous but so looking forward to it. Anyone else going at that time?
Hey Pam, I just arrived, literally an hour ago. The Madrid airport was a breeze. Quick look at my passport, stamped and moved on. Checked my QR code. Welcome…. Got my bags and am currently resting in The Hat Hostel here in Madrid. Just catching my breath. The out to find an ATM for some Euros. Tomorrow on to Seville to set my place to begin on the 3rd. Buen Camino.

Hey Pam, I just arrived, literally an hour ago. The Madrid airport was a breeze. Quick look at my passport, stamped and moved on. Checked my QR code. Welcome…. Got my bags and am currently resting in The Hat Hostel here in Madrid. Just catching my breath. The out to find an ATM for some Euros. Tomorrow on to Seville to set my place to begin on the 3rd. Buen Camino.
According to this thread, Pam changed her mind and walked the Francés in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back