• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP or The Camino Frances???

nic1

Time of past OR future Camino
The silver route
I am trying to decide on what Camino to do for the first time and would be grateful for any advise. I am travelling alone am female and can speak very little Spanish. I would like to meet people on my walk but I do not want to get stressed with the over crowdness of the Camino Frances and on the other hand I do not want to be walking for days alone and not talking to anyone. I do feel that the Camino Frances sounds more safer for a lone traveller and maybe not as much distance to cover until your next accommodation compared to the VDLP. I will be travelling from Jun-Aug so I have plenty of time to relax. I would love to go to Seville and think that I have more interest in that region of Spain than the other. please HELP :?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
nic1 said:
I will be travelling from Jun-Aug
Camino Frances. It can be over 40 degrees (celsius) on the Via de la Plata in summer. And because of that heat there won't be many pilgrims around.

I am however an example that being a first timer doesn't mean one have to start with the Camino Frances. I walked from Amsterdam to Le Puy, will walk on the VdlP in May (500 km, from Sevilla to Salamanca) and haven't walked the Frances (yet). But I don't mind being all by myself for a few nights (or more). And I do speak quite some Spanish (and a bit of French).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My first was the Mozarabe/VdlP and I loved it, but I started in April. It would be too hot for me in June-August.

Hi

Thanks everyone for your advise. I am going to do the Camino frances for my first walk I think this would be best especially with the heat and going solo :D

Hi nic1

Good choice and I am sure you will love the experience.

You will meet and make many good friends on the Camino frances route

Regards

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Because of my strong interest in Moorish Spain I have chosen the VDLP - starting around Merida in the second half of May. My Spanish is not the best but I have been taking lessons and studying as much as possible. My biggest worry/concern is the lack of a really up to date guide book. Unfortunately Alison Raju's complete re-write which was expected in late 2012 will now not be available until very late 2013 or more likely 2014. Still I do have other information sources. Regards :lol:

Saint Mike II said:
Because of my strong interest in Moorish Spain I have chosen the VDLP - starting around Merida in the second half of May. My Spanish is not the best but I have been taking lessons and studying as much as possible. My biggest worry/concern is the lack of a really up to date guide book. Unfortunately Alison Raju's complete re-write which was expected in late 2012 will now not be available until very late 2013 or more likely 2014. Still I do have other information sources. Regards :lol:

I have put together a combination walking and accommodation schedule that may interest you. Along with this, you can purchase a small 100 page English guidebook from the association based in Seville or from one of the local book shops in Seville. More details are here

via-de-la-plata-albergues-pensions-and-hostals/topic17077.html

Thanks again, with all this help I am sure I will succeed and enjoy myself. :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola saint mike II

The castilla y leon has published a very good camino de santiago guia del peregrino de la via de la plata (the via de la plata pilgrim guide). This guide is published in different languages with maps in the back cover of camino mozarabe-sanabres and camino portugues de la via de la plata.

The information provided is very extensive. It covers pretty much all the stages and also some of the smaller pueblos you will be passing through on your camino. The information includes detailed data on the provinces of zamora and galicia - distances between pueblos, cumulative distance, distance to santiago, altitude, population. It is a very comprehensive book.

Aussiejan,

This guide is available from the castilla y leon tourist office. You can also pick up a copy from most of the municipal and parrochial albergues. I picked up mine at the city of zamora tourist office. I have seen available copies in the municipal albergue in the city of zamora and other albergues in the province of zamora. I believe you can pick up a copy from any albergues or tourist office in the region of castllla y leon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you're looking for an app guidebook -- no extra weight! --I've written one that's available for iPhones, iPads and Droids. (I'm a professional writer.) I finished it in January 2012, and have already gone back and re-walked the first half and updated it again. Plus users can add in comments as they go -- if a place I mention is now closed, for example, they can note that in the entry -- and they've been doing so, so theoretically it should always be up to date. You can check it out at these two sites:

For Apple devices: http://sutromedia.com/apps/Via_de_la_Plata
For Droids: http://sutromedia.com/android/Via_de_la_Plata

Melanie

Hola Piogaw - thanks for the advice. Am I correct in assuming that the tourist office (Castilla de Leon) is in Sevilla??
Other replies - again much thanks for your advice and assistance. :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry, saint mike II. Apology for not getting back to you sooner. The junta of castilla y leon is the biggest region in spain. Unfortunately sevilla is not part of it. You will walking into castilla y leon on the vdp. You will be entering castilla y leon after puerto de bejar (stage 17). From there on, you can drop by the tourist office to get an english version of the guide. Big cities or towns like salamanca, zamora, should have the guide. You can also pick one up at the municipal albergue in zamora. The guide is not on display at the tourist office. You will have to ask for it. It is a red cover small book the size of a language phrase book about 1/4 inch thick.

In the meantime if you need info, send me a pm and i will try to see if i can scan any section to you with permission from the junta.

Most read last week in this forum

Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
On the stone pillars, there are 3 languages. 1st is Spanish of course and the 3rd is Arabic (says road to palata). Anyone know what the second language is?
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...
First, this was my fourth Camino and was the most consistently beautiful walk I've done. Hilly, varied and so scenic! My daughter and I walked from Puebla de Sanabria to Santiago Apr. 14 - May 2...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back