• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via della Costa

stevenbl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues, Shikoku88, Fisherman's Trail ...
I have just walked the Via della Costa, and posted the following conclusion from my walk on my blog at www.followingyourfeet.com. As this is not a walk that seems very popular I thought I would promote it a bit, as it is a truly fantastic walk.

=============

Spectacular villages nested on mountains or clinging to the coast, pastel coloured house, rugged coastlines, sandy beaches, high mounts and great food on top. What more could anybody setting off on a hike want?

I have just updated my blog with posts from 16 days, 3 in France along the Via Aurelia and 13 in Italy along the Via della Costa. I walked a total of 412km with 12.500m elevation, not bad for a walk that contains the name “coast”. There was some, but not a lot of walking along the coast and a fair bit walking along roads – about 40% would be my estimate.

This stage was part of my overall plan to walk from Sagres in Portugal to Rome in Italy. This was the third stage of the plan, after walking from Sagres to A Coruna on the Spanish north coast last year over two stages, walking the Fisherman’s Trail, Camino Portugues and Lighthouse Way.

To be honest, I didn’t have many expectations about this walk. My primary motivation was to visit friends on the Cote d’Azur, see Cinque Terre and spend some vacation time with my wife – which we hadn’t really done for more than a few days at a time for a number of years. I expected that much of the walk would be a bit boring. I was wrong, so very wrong.

From my side, Via della Costa comes highly recommended. The walking is not super challenging, but also by no means trivial.

12,500m ascent over 16 days requires a certain level of fitness, not least taking into account that many of the ascents and descents were steep, at times very steep, and often on a rocky path (and at times with lose stones). There are many days with an elevation profile over 1000m.

The signage is also not great. I very much doubt that one would be able to complete this trip without support from a GPS. The Sentiero Liguria is signed, but does not follow the exact same route, and even here the signs are missing at times.

The paths are of extremely varying quality. Both in France and Italy I got the impression that hiking does not have the same economic impact as the Camino’s in Spain, and therefore there aren’t the same resources to maintain the paths. This was most pronounced before Genova, after Genova the paths were of a higher quality.

There is some road walking, often along the busy SS1

You don’t meet other walkers – I met ca. 20 other walkers, doing one day or few day walks, and handful of groups. Nobody I spoke to was walking the coast, in fact nobody had any idea that the route existed.

Non of the above points detract from my overall impression of a great walk – although I must admit that whilst in the middle of a rocky descent, or walking along the SS1 in rain, they probably filled more in my thoughts for me, than when I look back.

So why was this a great walk? The answer is simple. At every corner, up and down every hill, there was something new, something spectacular, something beautiful to see. My pictures in the blog by no means do it justice. The walks in France and before Genova were great, after Genova, passing through Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Sestri Lavante, Levanto, the villages of Cinque Terre and all the small villages in between, they were always beautiful, often spectacular. At the end of pretty much each climb there were fantastic views along the coast, inland or of the different towns and villages.

Mid-April, I start the 4th stage of Sagres to Rome, walking from Santander to A Coruna, along the Camino Norte to Rochela, the Cantabrian Sea Nature Trail between Rochela and Ortigueria and Costa Gallega from Ortigueria and A Coruna, so I’ll have something to compare with.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very glad to read your write-up! I'm expecting to spend at least a few days on this, walking from Genoa southward, and haven't encountered many accounts from the trail. Thanks for sharing. Let me know if you have any questions about the Mar/Cantábrico.

Very glad to read your write-up! I'm expecting to spend at least a few days on this, walking from Genoa southward, and haven't encountered many accounts from the trail. Thanks for sharing. Let me know if you have any questions about the Mar/Cantábrico.
Genova south is the best part. Consider taking the train to Nervi or Camogli and start there.

Never found others that walked Mar/Cantabrico. Did you enjoy it. How do they compare to the Lighthouse Trail, anything I should be aware of?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for posting - I have plans for my SdeC to Rome trip to do Genoa Southon the Via della Costa- nice to read some recent accounts!

Genova south is the best part. Consider taking the train to Nervi or Camogli and start there.

Never found others that walked Mar/Cantabrico. Did you enjoy it. How do they compare to the Lighthouse Trail, anything I should be aware of?
Check out the Ruta do Mar section of the forum! Lots of good info there: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/ruta-del-mar-ribadeo-ferrol.112/

I haven't done the lighthouse trail, but I really enjoy the Mar/Cantábrico. Tons of good coastal walking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.