• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Jacobi - ferry on lake Lucerne

codecables

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (March 2013); Via Jacobi (June/July 2015)
Dear fellow pilgrims,

preparing for my next pilgrimage along the Via Jacobi in Switzerland, I came across the fact, that the camino at one point crosses lake Lucerne (at Brunnen to Treib). I saw on the lake Lucerne ferry timetable that the ferry continues on to Buochs, a village on the camino after Treib. I was wandering what your take was on this particular leg of the Via Jacobi, as I am contemplating either to walk from Treib to Buochs or to remain on the ferry. I know that any decision in the end will come down to how I feel on that particular day, but I would be grateful to hear your experiences.

Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We got off the ferry at the first stop, and found the trail from there was pretty tough for a loaded bike, at one point we had to climb a few rungs in the rock and pass the bikes and bags up in pieces. Meanwhile, that ferry kept going back and forth beneath us, mocking us.

After that, we decided a practical pilgrim would take a boat if it had been affordable and available, and we had great rides through Interlaken, and Lausanne to Geneva! It is amazing how much of Switzerland can be seen by boat.

jakub1.JPG jakub2.JPG jakub3.JPG

We got off the ferry at the first stop, and found the trail from there was pretty tough for a loaded bike, at one point we had to climb a few rungs in the rock and pass the bikes and bags up in pieces. Meanwhile, that ferry kept going back and forth beneath us, mocking us.

After that, we decided a practical pilgrim would take a boat if it had been affordable and available, and we had great rides through Interlaken, and Lausanne to Geneva! It is amazing how much of Switzerland can be seen by boat.

View attachment 17138 View attachment 17139 View attachment 17140
swoon!! .... - thanks for sharing these photos -
:):cool::)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I should add that the trail from the ferry was one of the more interesting pieces of trail for a hiker, it was just too difficult for a bicycle. I think an avid hiker might find that section one of the highlights because the section from Einsiedeln was mostly pavement, even though it crossed a mountain pass.

The section from Lausanne to Geneva looked really busy and unpleasant so the boat was a wonderful alternative.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back