• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Volunteer Hospitalero Course

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
Hello all , RENSHAW here. I first walked the Camino Frances in 2003 . I return every year to walk a few weeks or even a month usually in Spring or Autum.
Now its time to give something back ; the Paroquial Albergues have been some of my best experiences of all.
I have heard of a course for Hospitalero that was held at Granon early this year. Even though I am English with a very limited command of Spanish , I would still like to attend a course at an authentic location on the Camino. It can be at anytime from Feb 2011.
Please point me in the right diretion - thanx. xxxxx

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanx Annie but I'm based in London , though I'm sure your info will come in handy for all those in the USA.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hahaha! Yes, that would be a bit of a swim! Good luck! You might try getting in touch with Rebekah from The Peaceable Kingdom. I believe she does hospitalero training or can put you in touch with someone who does, in Spain.

Hi Renshaw,

Have also been looking into Hospitalero courses (agree would prefer a peroquial auberge such as Grañon or Vianal) and found this Spanish site:

http://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/hospitaleros/cursos.asp

As you can see there were 6 courses in Spain and 1 in Italy in 2010. Hopefully they will update the site for 2011.I also read a thread a while back that Reb woulld be running one at the Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos. Don't know if she has plans to do the same in 2011. Maybe you could send her a PM. If I find anything else will post.

Cheers,
LT

p.s. just sent an e-mail out to them asking about courses and whether necessary to take one if interested in voluntering - will let you know

The only requirements to volunteer at a traditional albergue it is to have walked a camino and to have done a HOSVOL (Hospitaleros Volunatarios) course. I think the CSJ in the UK run a course for their members and that would be accepted.

You don't need to have done a course to volunteer at many of the other albergues but don't be taken in by for-profit establishments that are looking for unpaid workers!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
'Baia Dankie' Sillydoll.
HOSVOL say , look out for the 2011 courses which will be posted in January , so I wait in anticipation.
Hey Sillydol? When and where are your courses in South Africa in 2011?

The next one is Durban on 20/21 November. Three peregrinos from KZN have applied to do it and three from Gauteng. I find accommodation for them with pilgrims close by.
Let me know if you are interested.

Cursos (HOSVOL approved) are offered twice each year in English here in Spain, in Moratinos, an "authentic" camino location on the meseta... once we get at least three interested and qualified people who can be here at the same time.

If you are interested please contact me directly via PM here or at rebrites (at) yahoo dot com.

Rebekah

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola, my name is David O' Mahony, I am Irish and I live in Ireland. I would very much like to be trained as a volunteer Hospitalero. I have walked the Camino Frances ( 2009 ) and half of the Camino del Norte. (20010 ). I loved every step of the Camino and would like to give of my time as a Hospitalero. I lke meeting and helping people, and have a great interest in in church architeecture and history etc. I am retired, active and available. Hablo un poco Espanol y me gusto mucho encontrar y ayudar gente. Tratamiento mas cordial David O' Mahony

Sorry I dropped off the radar for a while. Crises struck.

Now that things are returning to normal, I am scheduling a Volunteer Hospitalero Training Course in English for 2011. So far the agreed-upon date is June 14 and 15. Location is Peaceable Kingdom, Moratinos, Palencia (my house) where attendees can also stay over for a donativo.
Course cost is 20 Euro, which includes materials, follow-up, food, and most likely hands-on hosting of real, live pilgrims.

Your formation is under aegis of Canadian Company of Pilgrims program, allied with the Spanish Federation of Amigos del Camino. If you are interested please contact me via email at rebrites (at) yahoo.com.

Rebekah Scott

Does anyone know if there are plans for an hospitalero course in Australia or New Zealand in 2011?
I would love to do one. I am in my early 60s but there is life in the old dog still!
I will be completing the Camino Frances in early June and could possibly extend my return flight to attend Rebeka's course if the dates were definite and I could work out how to get to Madrid for my flight home.
It would be good to attend a course later in the year in Oz though.
Heather

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Far as I know there are no Oz or NZ trainers or training sessions. Yet!

You are welcome here for the June training, and seeing as we already have three people coming, the dates are firm. You can get to Madrid from Sahagun (a 10-minute drive from here) on any of six daily trains.

Reb.

Hi All,

Here are the courses being offered in Spain:

CURSOS 2011
(Fechas y Localidades)

Cursos

4, 5 y 6 de Febrero - Grañón (La Rioja)
25, 26 y 27 de Febrero - Murcia
11, 12 y 13 de Marzo - Logroño
1, 2 y 3 de Abril - Barcelona
6, 7, y 8 de Mayo - Pobeña (Vizcaya)
27, 28 y 29 de Mayo - Cercedilla (Madrid)

Got the information from the website I quoted above. I also received an e-mail this week from Ana the Hospitalero coordinator from Hosvol. She sent me the application forms which I can forward on to anyone interested. Just let me know. I am going to attack the Via de la Plata this year so will not be participating in 2011.

Cheers,
LT
p.s. forgot to mention but I have the application forms in English and Spanish

I am planning to do my second camino (first was in 2009 from France) comencing June from Pamplona, how long is the walk to where the course will be held? how far is it off the camino route ?I was hoping to do some volunteering on this camino, but did not realise that you must attend a course to qualify, PS I am from Australia too :)

Rebekah Scott said:
Far as I know there are no Oz or NZ trainers or training sessions. Yet!

You are welcome here for the June training, and seeing as we already have three people coming, the dates are firm. You can get to Madrid from Sahagun (a 10-minute drive from here) on any of six daily trains.

Reb.

interesting.
Moratinos is almost perfectly halfway down the Frances, if you start at SJPP. Two weeks in, more or less. So it looks like your luck is in, long as you walk at a normal pace and all goes well on your camino.

Moratinos is right on the Camino. The Peaceable is a block off the main route, easily found in a town with only two streets and 20 people... It is open year-round for pilgrims and other wanderering souls. Even Aussies!

Reb.

By the Way:

We are offering the English-language hospitalero course here at the Peaceable in Moratinos on April 13-14 as well. Pls. send a PM if you are interested!

Reb.

I must give you all thanks for the imput on my request - Most importantly , SILLYDOLL :D who put on the most incredible course in Durban , South Africa.
Sil opened her house to 5 pilgrims plus pilgrims who had attended her previous course and had completed their first stint as Hospitalero - they shared valuble experiences.
I think that what was most striking was that I was suprised at just how much work a Hospitalero must do and the responsibilities - I will certainly be more prepared.
SILLYDOLL , YOU ARE A STAR!! I am most gratefull for your selfless task and will always remember that most informitive course.
RENSHAW xxxxxx

Thank you Renshaw - I was proud of all of you and know that you will be amazing hospitaleros, kind and compasionate with walkers and cyclists!

I was hoping to do some volunteering on this camino, but did not realise that you must attend a course to qualify

You only need to have done a course to serve in the traditional albergues administered by the Spanish Federation. They have a long tradition of hospitality and like the albergues and hospitaleros to stay true to those traditions.

You can volunteer in many other albergues without having done a HOSVOL (Hospitaleros Voluntarios) course, but please don't work for nothing in a for-profit private establishment. You can offer your help directly to the refuge - a list can be found at http://www.jacobeo.net/
Be aware that many of these are private businesses that might love to have two weeks´ free labour! The choice is yours, but don’t be exploited.

Esprit du Chemin in St Jean welcomes volunteers - check the calendar on their website for available slots - and many of the 'tradtional/privately owned' albergues like Eunate, ANFAS (Estella), Manjarin, Ave Fenix and such would welcome your help as well.

For traditional albergues visit http://www.caminosantiago.org
Click on Federation and then Hospitaleros Voluntarios:
http://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegri ... aleros.asp

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back