• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking alone

David w gales

Time of past OR future Camino
End April 2017
I would like to leave from Seville at the end of April. I will be alone... is this recommended or not?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not really, my wife is more worried than I am She hopes it is well marked and my limited Spanish is not too much of a hinderence

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome to the forum David!

I will be leaving Seville on April 10th. I will be alone. As Bradypus sais, I am happy alone, I am also happy in company too. Is it recommended? Yes if you are happy being on your own, it is relatively safe, some say the drive to the airport is the most dangerous part of the camino. However, you will meet fellow pilgrims, ask to walk with someone if you are concerned.

Is this your first Camino? If it is you will find once you start walking you will be surprised at how at peace and how safe you will feel. Even if you walk alone you will probably meet other pilgrims at the end of each day in the albergues. There is nothing to be concerned about safety wise (take usual precautions as you would anywhere) but generally the locals and fellow pilgrims will look after you. If in doubt ask.

Buen Camino!

Davey

I would like to leave from Seville at the end of April. I will be alone... is this recommended or not?
I walked alone from Seville. Just take sensible precautions. I did have a dummy wallet with dummy cards and passport, also an alarm and spray. I think that was all a bit excessive! Mind you, I am old enough not to be too tempting to men!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ditto - I always walk alone for years and have only ever had one problem. That was is Nepal at the height of their civil war. In my view the Camino is ideal for solo walking as their is always some company either at the end of the day or along the route and its perfectly safe. Have a great one.

In my view the Camino is ideal for solo walking as their is always some company either at the end of the day or along the route

Not always true of the less popular Caminos and quieter times of the year. Last month I walked the final 200km of the Camino Sanabres. 8 nights in albergues along the way. For 6 of those nights I was the only person staying - I shared with just one other person for 2 nights. In the whole 200km walk I met only two other pilgrims: one Spanish, one Portuguese. It is not safe to assume that the experience one has on the Camino Frances is replicated on other routes.

TBH I wasn't thinking of pilgrims when I wrote my comments as their is always someone around on the Caminos, pilgrim or not - contrast that with one of my non Camino walks where I saw absolutely no one for 4 nights and 5 days! I didn't have a problem with that but my pack was a bit on the heavy side as no civilisation means no shops and so you have to carry everything on your back

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Via de la Plata (unlike the Camino Frances) has pretty much fixed stages. Therefore you are very likely to see the same pilgrims each day, unless you take a rest day, in which case you'll lose them. You won't bump into people on the path as much, but you will see them in the villages and albergues.

It is reasonably well marked but be careful not to be misled by the Junta de Extremadura's granite blocks which mark the old Roman Road: the path depicted going under the roman arch on the top of the blocks lines up with the route. Tiles on the side are colour coded:
  • yellow = camino only
  • turquoise = roman road only
  • yellow and turquoise = where the routes coincide.
I found them quite helpful, but if in doubt, follow yellow arrows.

As for Spanish, you will find that most if not all the locals you meet will not speak English. This is a marked contrast to the French Way. Most pilgrims I have met doing the Via de la Plata spoke reasonable Spanish, in fact I have even sat down to dinner and talked entirely in Spanish with a bunch of French, Dutch and German people. This isn't a problem as such, as if you turn up at an albergue with a backpack it's pretty obvious what you want! But for maximum enjoyment Spanish makes a much bigger difference on this route.

Hope that helps.

It better be since I am heading that way in two weeks ;0). And that part of my walk will be the busiest as I don't expect to bump into anyther pilgrim on the Invierno and perhaps a handfull on the Salvador.

Question guys and gals... Got a email from a Camino guided tour and basically said that from Seville north was basically marked terrible and very few people... suggested I go into France , however, daughter lives in Seville. Can any one clarify this for me or give me suggestions. Thanks

Question guys and gals... Got a email from a Camino guided tour and basically said that from Seville north was basically marked terrible and very few people... suggested I go into France , however, daughter lives in Seville. Can any one clarify this for me or give me suggestions. Thanks

I don't think this advice is correct. The Via de la Plata from Seville is well marked, there may be a few confusing bits, but these are covered and explained in the guidebooks. There seems nothing to be worried about.

Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not so. Read Gerald Kelly's guidebook published in December, read SYates' account of her recent walk, follow different forums and see how many are heading out at the moment. It's to the point I am wondering if there will be room at the albergues at night. Take a look at the stats about people walking VdlP: 9221 people walked into Santiago from VdlP, or 3.5% of all walkers (and considering most walk in March-April and again in late fall because of the heat, that makes for good density) https://oficinadelperegrino.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/peregrinaciones2015.pdf

What are the odds the company you contacted doesn't offer services on VDLP? Maybe?

The people of Spain have hosted millions of pilgrims over the last 1200 years. They are extremely good at it. They are prepared for you. You won't miss a meal or have to sleep on a park bench if you don't speak Spanish.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Got a email from a Camino guided tour and basically said that from Seville north was basically marked terrible and very few people...
That sounds very odd. I walked a few sections last spring and it was well marked in the sections I did, and there were pilgrims each day. Not hundreds, but enough to start knowing the cohort. I am starting from Seville by myself on this Sunday or Monday :))) and I am not concerned. Take a phrase book, or a translation app on your phone, and you will be fine!

I'm leaving on April 27, I will def take your advice. Thank u

David, I plan to depart Seville May 5 (maybe May 4). Will watch for you in the event our paths catch up. You're the first post I've seen with even a remotely close start date!

The VDLP is very well marked. Gerald Kelly's guidebook is very useful as are notes from last year that you will find in the vdlp section of this forum and written by SYates. Some days you will be hoping for more solitude! :)

TBH I wasn't thinking of pilgrims when I wrote my comments as their is always someone around on the Caminos, pilgrim or not - contrast that with one of my non Camino walks where I saw absolutely no one for 4 nights and 5 days! I didn't have a problem with that but my pack was a bit on the heavy side as no civilisation means no shops and so you have to carry everything on your back
Hello
I am eager for detailed info. On the sanabres.plan on walking in the spring. What can you tell me about weather wifi connection, landscape, albergues, availability of food etc
Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi David, lucky you, the la plata route is wonderfull. I walked from jan - march 2015 and then is was very quiet. Met only one or two pelgrims everyday, was nearly in shock when together With five. Two weeks of all alone in albergues. I loved it. But i think it will be "crowded" in april

Hi David if you want company i am leaving Seville on Wednesday 26 April . Paddy from Dublin Ireland

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not really, my wife is more worried than I am She hopes it is well marked and my limited Spanish is not too much of a hinderence

As a guy, you have a lot less to worry about than a woman walking alone. I walked half the Camino solo last summer when my "friend", who I began with in SJPP, and I split.

I am very directionally challenged and only got lost twice. (I did walk halfway up a mountain when I asked a couple if I was going the right way and they said no.) It can be tricky to find the route in large cities but I had no problem asking for directions. Generally, the route is well-marked with a yellow arrow and or shell.

Be prudent and use good judgment on the Camino, as you would in any place with which you are unfamiliar. When I was a solo hiker on the Camino, I didn't imbibe too much in wine, such that I became disoriented. I didn't walk at night or in early morning. I also didn't hike with headphones because I wanted to hear my environment. Of course, I didn't go off with anyone.

Buy an inexpensive burner phone in Spain and find out what the country's emergency number is. I also messaged my husband daily (via the free app WhatsApp), letting him know where I was going and when I arrived there.

I did like having walking sticks, not only as a hiking aide but also to help ward off a couple of protective farm dogs. (During my mountain misadventure, I mistakenly walked onto their turf.)

Unless you have an existing health condition and really shouldn't walk alone because no one could help if you fell ill, you will likely be fine hiking by yourself.

I started V

I started alone in Sept.2014 but met up with a lady from NZ after one week and we journeyed together.There were only a few places not well marked and we encountered very few pilgrims also,probably as was in fall. I had downloaded an app on VDLP which we used daily .It was accurate for distances,accommodations and you were able to book online .We did meet a German lady who walked alone and she loved it and had no problems.
BuenCamino

The VDLP is very well marked. Gerald Kelly's guidebook is very useful as are notes from last year that you will find in the vdlp section of this forum and written by SYates. Some days you will be hoping for more solitude! :)
Kelly's guide was re-edited in December 2016, still warm off the presses.

I just walked from Seville to Mérida and personally found it a bit dull. If you are used to walking alone it is fine but it is rather solitary and monotonous in my view. I would recommend the Portuguese routes

I just walked from Seville to Mérida and personally found it a bit dull. If you are used to walking alone it is fine but it is rather solitary and monotonous in my view. I would recommend the Portuguese routes
Don't tell me that: I found the Portuguese to be a total bore last spring and I'm heading to VDLP in 10 days. I am looking forward to playing with the pigs! Mind you, the guidebooks also don't make it seem super nice, but that is why I am heading to the Invierno and then the Salavador. Start boring, end on top of the world.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't tell me that: I found the Portuguese to be a total bore last spring and I'm heading to VDLP in 10 days. I am looking forward to playing with the pigs! Mind you, the guidebooks also don't make it seem super nice, but that is why I am heading to the Invierno and then the Salavador. Start boring, end on top of the world.
Oh dear how can any camino be boring - they are all different - having walked the VDLP on my own and then part of it again last year it was different all over again - more rain - more sun etc all made for wonderful days - hope you have a really great time and enjoy what ever the day brings - Been camino

Oh dear how can any camino be boring - they are all different - having walked the VDLP on my own and then part of it again last year it was different all over again - more rain - more sun etc all made for wonderful days - hope you have a really great time and enjoy what ever the day brings - Been camino
Thank you. I am looking forward to it. Under the sun, with no rain though :D.

Sometimes (even at the end of March) hot, sometimes flat, some long days (if you choose) - but boring? In the spring? surrounded by wildflowers, and cows, pigs and goats, and, in April, plenty of pilgrims? The first week has some absolutely gorgeous scenery. Orange trees, wild lavender, cork trees (maybe there is another name for them?), incredible skies, some good views. I can think of lots of adjectives - including those that go with a room full of snorers, too much sun, too much rain, too much asphalt at times -- but boring isn't one of them. It's definitely not walking in the mountains but it is a great walk.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Don't think so @anemone . Perhaps you have different names for trees in Canada. Cork trees are a variety of oak with extremely thick bark. In my English-speaking world plantains are a close-relative of the banana. Quite different.
Look forward to seeing them. I thought she meant the plantains as so many refer to them as cork trees because of their texture.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Quercus suber is the name for cork trees.

I'm leaving on April 27, I will def take your advice. Thank u
Hi Dave. I'll also be walking the VdlP and plan to walk into in Sevilla on April 27. I'll be starting from Puerto de Santa Maria and walking for 5 days on the Via Augusta before arriving in Sevilla to start the VdlP route. This is also my first time walking the VdlP and am really looking forward to it. I hope to meet you somewhere along the way :)

Hi Dave. I'll also be walking the VdlP and plan to walk into in Sevilla on April 27. I'll be starting from Puerto de Santa Maria and walking for 5 days on the Via Augusta before arriving in Sevilla to start the VdlP route. This is also my first time walking the VdlP and am really looking forward to it. I hope to meet you somewhere along the way :)
Hi Jim . Im leaving Seville on morning of 26th so maybe see you on the way. Paddy the Dubliner on the Via

I walked alone from Seville. Just take sensible precautions. I did have a dummy wallet with dummy cards and passport, also an alarm and spray. I think that was all a bit excessive! Mind you, I am old enough not to be too tempting to men!
From an Irish grandad to an English Granny , vaya con dios,Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jim . Im leaving Seville on morning of 26th so maybe see you on the way. Paddy the Dubliner on the Via
Lovely Paddy. If all goes according to plan, I'll be leaving Sevilla three days behind you. I'm going to take a rest day there and enjoy the city. But I'll keep an eye out for you - who knows, we may bump into each other along the way :). That's the wonderful thing about the camino. Wishing you a fabulous camino adventure!!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back