• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Report on walking the Vía from Zamora in May / June 2023

geraldkelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
I walked the 2nd half of the Vía in May / June, starting again from Zamora where I left off in February. Before going to Zamora I made a quick detour to Plasencia to walk the Vía Verde. I wanted to walk it to see what it was like and to be able to accurately describe it in the guide.

Things got off to a strange start, from the train station in Plasencia I followed the signs for the Vía Verde and ended up in a slightly rough looking neighbourhood. I wasn't worried, I've been around Spain a lot and I've never had any problems, then a police car came down the street towards me and stopped. They asked me where I was going and I told them I was looking for the Vía Verde. They said OK but you shouldn't be here, it's not safe. (barrio conflictivo was the expression they used). Anyway, they were very nice and actually accompanied me to the start of the Vía Verde, which was only around the corner. I had taken a wrong turn and shouldn't have ended up in this neighbourhood.

I didn't feel in danger but I suppose it's a good rule that if the police tell you you're in danger you should believe them!

It all went smoothly after that. The Vía Verde is a wonderful walk with a good walking surface. There were far more cyclists than walkers but there's loads of room for everyone, it's an old railway line so it's about 4m wide.

It was already dark by the time I arrived to Hostal Asturias so I had a shower and went straight to bed. Hostal Asturias was pleasant, just as it has been every time I've stayed there.

The next morning I got back on the Vía Verde and walked as far as Hervás, here I branched off to go down into the town because I had no food and I was hungry. Hervás is a nice little town if you fancy some sight-seeing. Afterwards instead of retracing my steps I followed a track on Openstreetmaps and rejoined the Vía Verde north of the town (it does a massive loop around the town). I saved a bit of distance that way but it was a tough climb up in the afternoon sun.

Once I was back on the Vía Verde it was level all the way to Puente de Béjar. I stayed at the Amigos Albergue. Lovely place but unfortunately there was a group of people who were cooking an elaborate meal which required three of the four rings on the cooker and took hours. I got a tin of fabada from the petrol station and heated it up. Better than nothing. Later a group of Spanish cyclists arrived and made a load of noise for hours. I went for a walk, it was all a bit much.

The next morning I walked down to Béjar town itself (it's not on the Camino). The town looked interesting but it was cold and threatening rain so I didn't hang around, instead I got the bus to Salamanca and from there another bus to Zamora where I'd finished in February. This was the start of the real Camino.

The municipal in Zamora was wonderful as always. Donativo with a good breakfast (although I understand that isn't all year round).

A pretty flat and uneventful day, a stop in Montamarta for food then on to Fontanillas de Castro where I stayed in the amazing Albergue Castroterafe. The hospitaleros were wonderful, cooked us a lovely dinner.

The next day I walked to Tábara, bypassing Granja de Moreruela. Long day and pretty hot, after the bridge I walked the road as far as Faramontanos de Tábara, I didn't fancy that endless straight bit. The road walk was fine, very little traffic.

The municipal in Tábara has a beautiful new building with room for 24 pilgrims. It's in a separate building just beside the old building which is still in use for the communal evening meal. There's was a nice group of other pilgrims.

Fairly short walk to Santa Marta de Tera, nice albergue, the hospitalero had the day off so we were left to our own devices. Plato combinado in the bar across the road. Mostly the same pilgrims as in Tábara, we hung out in the bar and went to bed early. The shop there has closed.

The next day I walked to Rionegro del Puente with several stops along the way and tea and biscuits in Villar de Farfón with Craig. Dinner in Me Gusta Comer, still don't know why so many people rave about this restaurant, I though it was OK.

Coffee and shopping in Monbuey then the long beautiful walk through forests and small villages to Asturianos. Saw several deer and a hare. Dinner in Bar Meson El Carmen on the main road was good.

A brief stop in Puebla de Sanabria to buy food then onward to Requejo de Sanabria, where I slept in the municipal. Dinner in Restaurante Tu Casa where it seems nothing's changed in about fifty years! The food was very good and very good value.

The next day was a chance to check again the route after Requejo. It's changed again since last summer, hopefully for the last time. At least the AVE construction is over. The detour sign is still there shortly after Requeja, ignore it! Lunch in Hotel Padornelo and then on to Lubián where I slept in the municipal. I can't remember which restaurant I ate in, but I know for a fact they're both good.

I got lost after passing Santuario de La Tuiza and ended up walking beside the motorway for a while where there are also yellow arrows. Luckily it merges with the normal route after a couple of km. In A Gudiña I went to the fantastic new Xunta Albergue. Suddenly there was a lot of pilgrims I never saw before. No idea where they all came from. Dinner was in Café San Francisco, which is a roadside café beside a petrol station, it was excellent. I went back for breakfast! This being Galicia we had a massive downpour in the evening.

Campobecerros, unbelievable rain storm in the early afternoon, the whole village was like a river. Dinner in Casa Nuñez was good. Slept in Albergue Rosario, only five of us, presume everyone else went on to Laza.

Short stop in As Eiras then on to Laza for food and coffee before tackling the climb up to Alberguería. Before I got there there was a heavy shower, luckily I had my €3 umbrella so I waited it out under a tree. El Rincón del Peregrino was closed in Alberguería because it was Monday but the hospitalero opened it long enough to check us in and sell us some food. I made pasta in the albergue. Massive thunderstorm and another biblical downpour in the evening. Only three of us here.

Quick shopping in Vilar de Barrio then on to Xunqueira de Ambía. Made dinner in the albergue, one of the few Xunta Albergues where that's possible! Only four pilgrims here. (where did everybody go?)

Got an early start and made it to Ourense shortly after the albergue opened. The Xunta Albergue has a lot of stairs. Luckily it's also got a lift! Lunch in a small restaurant called La Brava, nice and fancier than the pilgrim menus. Three pilgrims here tonight.

After this it got a bit confused because I did some to'ing and fro'ing. But I'll describe it in Camino order.

Anyway, up early and good breakfast in Bar Montgre then straight through to Cea where I stopped to shop and for lunch, then I continued on to Oseira. My first time in the Xunta Albergue there. It's what you'd expect from the Xunta who don't seem to short of a few bob when it comes to building pilgrim hostels. It was Monday so neither of the cafés were open so I ate the tin of fish that's been lurking in the bottom of my rucksack for about two weeks. I also had some bread, so I didn't go hungry. Loads of people in the albergue, couldn't even count them. It's the first time I see luggage transfer and even a few suitcases! People in their own groups keeping to themselves, as you'd expect on the last 100km.

Lunch in Castro Dozón and a visit to the supermarket. Then on to A Laxe. Long enough day with lots of small climbs, but the weather was pleasant. A Laxe Xunta Albergue seems to have been built in a swamp judging by the number of mosquitoes. I eventually repurposed my Xunta-issued bedsheet into a mosquito net. It worked pretty well too. Not a single bite! One guy brought his extremely stinky shoes into the dorm and I asked him (extremely politely) to put them outside where they were supposed to be. He was obviously annoyed by this and he told me it wouldn't make much difference because his clothes stank too. I didn't continue the conversation. He waited about ten minutes then he put his shoes outside. Lots of groups here again tonight, one woman has her car, I saw her getting out of it when I went for a walk. Why????

Silleda, Bandeira, it's all a bit of a blur. There was lunch, there was shopping. Then I arrived in Leiras. I've passed by loads of times but I've never actually stopped here. It's a real treat. In the middle of nowhere, run by a young Italian couple. Another gem on the Camino! Excellent dinner and breakfast (and company)!

Short day to Ponte Ulla to the excellent Albergue O Cruceiro. Shopping in the amazingly well-stocked supermarket. Dinner in the albergue was good.

Easy day into Santiago with a stop in A Susana for a bite to eat. Shacked up in my usual place near the cathedral. Santiago wasn't very busy, at least not nearly as busy as I've seen it in summer before. I didn't stick around, I had other plans.

Anyway, the updates to the guide are done, you can see the latest version by downloading the free PDF https://www.viadelaplataguide.net/pages/download or from the online guide. The apps have also been updated. There'll be a new print edition in September.

Gerald​

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm due on the VDLP next month from Caceres. One of the items on my list is the Via Verde. Looking at Google Street View the start in Plascencia looks unfinished - up a side street. Do you have a map of the road layout so don't miss the start?

My plan was to enter the VV at Calle de Calzada de San Lázaro.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Two comments/questions: when we served in Zamora a few years ago (2017) it was manned year round by volunteers and I had not heard that has changed? Did you get new information?

Did you see luggage being left at the Xunta albergue for pickup as that would also be a change. Bag services (2 different ones) told me they would not pick up or drop off at Xunta albergues this summer.

Anyway, up early and good breakfast in Bar Montgre then straight through to Cea where I stopped to shop and for lunch, then I continued on to Oseira. My first time in the Xunta Albergue there. It's what you'd expect from the Xunta who don't seem to short of a few bob when it comes to building pilgrim hostels. It was Monday so neither of the cafés were open so I ate the tin of fish that's been lurking in the bottom of my rucksack for about two weeks. I also had some bread, so I didn't go hungry. Loads of people in the albergue, couldn't even count them. It's the first time I see luggage transfer and even a few suitcases! People in their own groups keeping to themselves, as you'd expect on the last 100km.​

So Oseira Monastery albergue is very popular? Will it be that bad in October? I want to stay there this year, but have no interest if it's going to be rammed with people.

I'm looking to get a couple of days at Ourense, probably stay at the University and sit in the hot springs for a couple of days and relax. Which route did you walk out of Ourense? The one through the town or the one up the steep hill? :p

When I walked the vdlp in 2018 I thought that me gusta comer was amazing. I had such a good lunch with my walking buddies that everyone in the albergue came for dinner and loved it. The staff changed the menu of the day for those of us who were there at lunch to give us something different. I don't think that they could be making any profit with their price. Maybe ít has changed since 2018, if so a shame.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have bought and used a couple of earlier paper versions of your guide book. Now I've downloaded the latest free/donativo PDF version and must comment on how good I find it - just the right amount of information, and tightly organized. I still like to have some printed reference information when I walk, and this version nicely complements the GPS/mapping app that is my most important tool while walking.

I'm due on the VDLP next month from Caceres. One of the items on my list is the Via Verde. Looking at Google Street View the start in Plascencia looks unfinished - up a side street. Do you have a map of the road layout so don't miss the start?

My plan was to enter the VV at Calle de Calzada de San Lázaro.
Firstly, Palancia is not on the Via de la Plata, it's about 10km from it. I was there because there's a railway station there. I walked from there to the Via de la Plata along the Via Verde. If you're planning walk the Via de la Plata then you'll be making a huge and unnecessary detour if you go through Palencia.

As for the names of the streets I walked along, I don't remember. I was following my nose, in retrospect I should have been watching out for Via Verde signposting.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have bought and used a couple of earlier paper versions of your guide book. Now I've downloaded the latest free/donativo PDF version and must comment on how good I find it - just the right amount of information, and tightly organized. I still like to have some printed reference information when I walk, and this version nicely complements the GPS/mapping app that is my most important tool while walking.
Thank you for your kind words.

So Oseira Monastery albergue is very popular? Will it be that bad in October? I want to stay there this year, but have no interest if it's going to be rammed with people.

I'm looking to get a couple of days at Ourense, probably stay at the University and sit in the hot springs for a couple of days and relax. Which route did you walk out of Ourense? The one through the town or the one up the steep hill? :p
"will it be bad in October". It's an amazing place and well worth the extra km.
I walked he left route. Both routes go through the town and both go up a steep hill.

Two comments/questions: when we served in Zamora a few years ago (2017) it was manned year round by volunteers and I had not heard that has changed? Did you get new information?

Did you see luggage being left at the Xunta albergue for pickup as that would also be a change. Bag services (2 different ones) told me they would not pick up or drop off at Xunta albergues this summer.
Yes, they were French volunteers this time. In February they were also French. It is open all year so I presume there are volunteers all year.

I did not see luggage being dropped at Xunta albergues, I saw suitcases but it's possible they were a group with a car, I didn't ask.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Firstly, Palancia is not on the Via de la Plata, it's about 10km from it. I was there because there's a railway station there. I walked from there to the Via de la Plata along the Via Verde. If you're planning walk the Via de la Plata then you'll be making a huge and unnecessary detour if you go through Palencia.

As for the names of the streets I walked along, I don't remember. I was following my nose, in retrospect I should have been watching out for Via Verde signposting.

Don't mind going off-piste. The VV is due to be extended all the way from Placencia to Salamanca eventually.

As regards the starting point, I've has a reply back from the Tourist Office. They have provided a map. It's #34 on the map just off Calle Cristóbal Oudrid. You go through the San Lázaro tunnel (KM 1) though KM 0 is the rail station

Attachments

• Plano Plasencia NUEVO.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 21
  • San Lorenzo Tunnel.jpeg
    San Lorenzo Tunnel.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 4
I purchased your guide during Covid and spent many hours pouring over it dreaming of finally doing my first Camino. It was a valuable resource as was the app. Thank you for all the hard work. I walked the Via Verde from El Avion. I didn’t like it much, a little too straight and monotonous. I got back on the Camino as soon as I could. Your jury rigged mosquito net in Laxe made me smile. I did exactly the same and had a grand nights sleep. Regarding the hostel at Oseira the hospitalero told me the night before my stay there had been over 30 pilgrims but there were only 6 including myself on May 29.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a word of thanks to @geraldkelly for his VDLP/Sanabres guide. As I mentioned above, I wanted to do the Via Verde which runs from Placencia beyond Bejar to Navamoral de Bejar. You can tell you are coming to the end of the route as they haven't lifted the rails yet.

Starting at Plasencia and going on for 41 miles, there is a smooth route rising from 1000ft to over 3000ft at Navamoral which trails the Mozarabe for the first part. From the signs it looks as if the intention is to connect the route as far as Astorga eventually but that will depend on a number of factors such as money and demand. It was certainly well used in the sections close to the towns with walkers, cyclists and horse riders all on a wide compact path.

There is a Service area (Repsol) at Villar de Plasencia at mile 10 which also appears to be a stop for buses if you check the timetable.

Just before Casas del Monte on the Mozarabe there is a Hostal (Asturias) and a Hotel (Jarilla) a few yards off the path at mile 13.

At Mile 20 all the routes merge - VDLP, Mozarabe, Via Verde - at Aldeanueva del Camino. The routes then separate and I stopped at Hervas to see the old Jewish quarter there. Hervas is a fine place to stop, nestled as it is at the bottom of the Bejar hills. There are a lot of holiday homes here and facilities you wouldn't expect in a town of it's size. It also appears cooler than the surrounding towns for some reason.

Attachments

• Rails at end of Via Verde.JPG
    Rails at end of Via Verde.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Hervas.JPG
    Hervas.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Via Verde signposting.JPG
    Via Verde signposting.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 2
Beyond Hervas you are on a steeper incline up to Bejar. It's such a smooth rise you don't notice until you look over to the alternatives at either side, especially coming into Bejar.

At Bejar you can see the town sitting high above you but if you continue on the route for a mile or so, you go through tunnels under the town and you are past without having to climb up and down again.

A word about tunnels though. Almost all have motion sensitive lighting so what appears to be 400m of dark, changes as you move into the tunnel - except for the one at Bejar. So take a torch with you.

A few miles from the end there is a sign indicating where you can connect with the VDLP at GR10. As I wanted to get to the end, I stayed off the Camino and stayed on the Via Verde until Navamoral (has a bar).

The section from the end until Salamanca is light in accomodation so I headed for Guijuelo. It's just another commercial centre with services. Some opt to take a bus to Salamanca rather than travel this section, which is understandable.

In summary, getting to the start the Via Verde in Plasencia will cost you miles for no apparent advantage over the VDLP. If you are on the Mozarabe though it may be different. The main advantage is when the routes merge at Aldeanueva del Camino. If you take the Via Verde you have a long smooth climb to beyond Bejar where you can get back to the VDLP with ease. The bonus is being able to stop at Hervas which makes for a pleasant overnight in the hills.

PS - And another thanks to @geraldkelly for putting in the miles for the rest of the route.

Attachments

• Looking back down on Hervas.JPG
    Looking back down on Hervas.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 3
  • Camino signs at the end.JPG
    Camino signs at the end.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 4

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back