• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking at night

Novos

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hello,

Did anyone try walking part of the camino at night?

Besides of its benefits, how can you manage with albergues when you're done walking in the morning?

Can anyone let night walkers check in?

Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I doubt very much anyone will let you in late at night or in the wee hours of the morning as in many instances the hospies are not on site and because you would be waking everyone up. As for being let in the morning, then you would interfere with the cleaning and preparation of the albergue for the next day. There is a reason there are times when the doors open and close.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've gotten up very early in the morning more than once to walk under the light of the full moon. It was beautiful (and on safe stretches where there was no danger of walking off the edge of a cliff). But it was also on days when I walked far enough that by the time I was done for the day the albergue was open when I stopped. I have Camino friends who walked overnight and were carrying a tent and set it up when they were ready to stop. Another group of friends slept out in the open air. I can think of a few albergues where you'd stand a good chance of being let in early, especially in summertime when many pilgrims start walking quite early in the day, but it would be the exception not the rule. You could find somewhere close by to rest until the albergue opened though.

Rachel

Hello,

Besides of its benefits, how can you manage with albergues when you're done walking in the morning?

Thanks.

Much of the camino is on narrow winding roads ... used by drivers who typically are driving at speeds beyond R17. (Speeds considered safe by anyone watching) Not safe at night.

Besides which you can't make out the yellow arrows at night.

If you do plan to walk at night, you'll have to plan on somewhere to sleep other than an albergue ... albergues lock the doors at 2200 (to prevent late arriving pilgrims from waking everyone) and open at 0700 to let people out (to prevent early rising pilgrims from waking everyone). Typically the day is spent getting ready for the next ingress of pilgrims and doors don't open till 1400 or later.

Unless you know the Camino already, walking at night would be a bit of a hit and miss. If you wear a headlamp, you will see the yellow arrows but not much else due to the strong light. If you don't use artificial light, the danger is that you lose the way. Plus the accommodation problem as others have already pointed out. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I highly recommend walking at night. And also a tent. Why worry about albergues?
The camino is about freeing your mind. Working to the governement or private albergues schedules means that it isn't really "your" camino. Many times i didn't even pitch the tent. Just found a nice place for my roll matt and go in my sleeping bag!

I highly recommend walking at night. And also a tent. Why worry about albergues?
The camino is about freeing your mind. Working to the governement or private albergues schedules means that it isn't really "your" camino. Many times i didn't even pitch the tent. Just found a nice place for my roll matt and go in my sleeping bag!

I respect your opinion but first of all there is not " your " or " mine " Camino seeing we are all in there together each with our own story.
And I think it is so utterly important to give back something to the Spanish people and economy for being so helpful and generous.
So I will gladly pay for a donativo, muni or private albergue.

I respect your opinion but first of all there is not " your " or " mine " Camino seeing we are all in there together each with our own story.
And I think it is so utterly important to give back something to the Spanish people and economy for being so helpful and generous.
So I will gladly pay for a donativo, mu

I understand yours, I've stayed in plenty of albergues along the way and also donotivos.
"your" was in inverted commas for a reason, and wasn't meant to be seen in the way you interpreted.
But many people along the way claim it to be this, when you are in fact correct and it is a shared experience.

Having a tent removes the worry of running for an albergue, or worrying if you will get a place to stay if you want to continue walking to your own pleasure. It's good to know you always have something to fall back on, especially at the last 100k which is abit of a nightmare in my opinion!

A

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having encountered people a couple of times who decided they wanted a night time walk, all I can say is get a hotel or sleep outside that night. We found people upset because they were trying to get their shut eye at 6pm and the noise of others in the room upset them but thought nothing about packing up at 3am themselves and waking everyone in the room.

Having encountered people a couple of times who decided they wanted a night time walk, all I can say is get a hotel or sleep outside that night. We found people upset because they were trying to get their shut eye at 6pm and the noise of others in the room upset them but thought nothing about packing up at 3am themselves and waking everyone in the room.

You notice them right away, they are the ones who are already all cleaned up (this is at 1300-1500) and spend the rest of the day sleeping and expect you to be quiet in the sleeping area, they also try turning off the lights at 1800. I have no problem turning off the lights early if everyone is already in bed, but these early risers have no consideration when they start making all kinds of noise waking the rest of us up.
I usually never saw them again at the next albergue I was staying at, because I would catch up to them and see them in the queue at an albergue at 1000 waiting for it to open, I felt it was a waste of the day to stop so early in the day, I usually walked until 1400-1500.

Hello, Did anyone try walking part of the camino at night? Besides of its benefits, how can you manage with albergues when you're done walking in the morning?
Can anyone let night walkers check in? Thanks.
My question Why? Yes I can understand early starts - particularly in July/August when is hot - even very hot. But if you walk at night you do run the risk of getting lost (or at least losing the yellow arrows). You also miss some of the great scenery Plus as has been said - the Albergues are most unlikely to let you in between 8.00 am and 1.00 or 2.00 pm Additionally I would think the towns folk would take a dim view of you sleeping in their town square. But hey - its is your Camino so walk at night if you really fell you must!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,

Thanks.

Does starting at 4am and finishing at 12 qualify. I did 2 concevitive nights on mesete

I woke up at 3AM to walk on the Meseta under a full moon (and eclipse). I finished my day's stage around 8:00am (it's amazing how you can cover so much distance without distractions and cool air) and decided to hop the bus into Leon. In the Meseta it was very safe, I say find a good stage and walk it.

I woke up at 3AM to walk on the Meseta under a full moon (and eclipse). I finished my day's stage around 8:00am (it's amazing how you can cover so much distance without distractions and cool air) and decided to hop the bus into Leon. In the Meseta it was very safe, I say find a good stage and walk it.
Isn't the Meseta suppose to be more dangerous at night because it's so isolated? Just a thought.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll never forget the morning I walked out of Cizur Menor, under a full moon. Magical. It had never ever been my intention to get up early. However the rustle of plastic bags and hushed conversations at 4am had woken me up fully and I could not get back to sleep. One by one others got up so I did the same. I'm so glad I did.

Night walking is a special experience and should be undertaken at some point on the camino! Just choose your timing carefully - a full moon and cloudless sky helps. And if you are going to get up early, please be considerate and maybe stay in a private room.

I'll never forget the morning I walked out of Cizur Menor, under a full moon. Magical. It had never ever been my intention to get up early. However the rustle of plastic bags and hushed conversations at 4am had woken me up fully and I could not get back to sleep. One by one others got up so I did the same. I'm so glad I did.

Night walking is a special experience and should be undertaken at some point on the camino! Just choose your timing carefully - a full moon and cloudless sky helps. And if you are going to get up early, please be considerate and maybe stay in a private room.
Well, I actually want to see the stars and the milky way brightly, so a full moon wouldn't be a great idea..

Aah, the stars and the milky way - not seen them for a while as there is too much light pollution where we live - and its been so wet this year that I've hardly seen the sky either!

When we lived in the middle east, we used to go camping in the desert. No tent, just camp beds which were hard and uncomfortable. I used to wake numerous times each night, and came to enjoy watching the night sky go past. When a friend introduced us to thermarests, we slept so much better, but I did miss star watching.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, I actually want to see the stars and the milky way brightly, so a full moon wouldn't be a great idea..
Check, and take note, of the phases of the moon before you go, and plan accordingly. I would not advise that you walk on an inky black night when the stars would be at their best; you'd be likely to trip on something while you're stargazing. With a little forethought and planning, arranging to get outside to see the stars on a given night at an appropriate location (as long as the weather is decent) should be easy enough to do. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Isn't the Meseta suppose to be more dangerous at night because it's so isolated? Just a thought.
In my observations, the Meseta was the best location for night walking. Most trails were very straight and little chance of missing an arrow. There are large sections without services, but a well prepared walker should be ready for those situations anyways, and did not observe that as an issue.

I'm not interested in night walking, but if I were, that is the area I would choose as the walking is probably the least hazardous! It is not isolated, except from traffic and commercial establishments. There are some long sections where you need to take your own food and water.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked several times at night. Always in full summer and always on a Meseta stretch.
My recipe:
-leave at three o'clock
-walk for an hour to get out of town and let my eyes adjust to the darkness
-stop at four o'clock and sit/lay down for half an hour or so to be humbled and awed by that big sky above me
-making it into a lazy day with huge breaks and an enormous breakfast at the first place that is to be found open.
All-in-all I just arrive two or maybe three hours earlier then I would without a night walk (I normally start at around five/six o'clock depending on the weather)

There are exceptions, but don't count on finding any alburgue that will let you in early.

I think walking a big city at night is far more dangerous than walking the Meseta at night ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Having a tent removes the worry of running for an albergue, or worrying if you will get a place to stay if you want to continue walking to your own pleasure.

...but it arises other worries like worrying if you'll be fined because you pitched your tent somewhere where it wasn't allowed, worrying if you won't be annoyed during your sleeping time...

Isn't the Meseta suppose to be more dangerous at night because it's so isolated?

Who said the meseta is so isolated?

Well, I actually want to see the stars and the milky way brightly,

IMHO, walking by night isn't the best way to enjoy the sky. Look for a dark place with good sky visibility, seat down and enjoy the sky. If you had binoculars, even better.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...but it arises other worries like worrying if you'll be fined because you pitched your tent somewhere where it wasn't allowed, worrying if you won't be annoyed during your sleeping time...

Who said the meseta is so isolated?

IMHO, walking by night isn't the best way to enjoy the sky. Look for a dark place with good sky visibility, seat down and enjoy the sky. If you had binoculars, even better.
The thing is that boniculars are hevavy =\.
Do you know any lightweight model that is worth buying?

The thing is that boniculars are hevavy =\.

The weight of the binoculars may be an annoyance for the camino. Binoculars require some carefulness too. OTOH, binoculars allow you to see more sky sights than those you could see with naked eyes and to get more detailed views of those that you could see with naked eyes. Whether the advantanges overcome the disadvantages is something you'll have to decide by yourself depending on your personal preferences, interests, points of view...

You may also ask locally if someone has binoculars (or even a telescope) and is willing to make some stargazing with you.

Even with naked eyes, the sky can be a great spectacle. It's all a matter of being aware of what can you see and choose accordingly overlooking what you would need binoculars or a telescope to see. You won't be short of enjoyment because you have plenty of sky sights available. In fact, if you aren't an amateur astronomer and make some research about all what you can see with naked eyes, you might be surprised with the amount of options/choices available.

Hello,

Thanks.
Considering the thousands of ankle twisting opportunities on the Camino, plus the fact you won't meet other pilgrims or have positive interactions with the locals, or see the magnificent scenery, or the fact that alburgues, hotels and pensiones will be closed to you, or if you had a problem there are no clinicos or farmacias open, and 100% of iglesias and museos will be locked and barred...the only reason to walk at night is to see the moon.
Hmmm...a good idea?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think it's nice to do really early starts sometimes if it's really hot, but all the time would be pretty boring and antisocial and you would miss out on so much. I second those above and resent the pilgrims I've seen who want to use albergues yet refuse to keep to a roughly normal albergue timetable: they are the ones who are so terrified of not getting a bed, always rushing from place to place and seeming to get little out of it all, while generally spoiling it for others. Albergue times are set like they are for good reasons. They fit in with the weather and also harmonise with the general timetable of life in Spain. If you want to look at the stars, you only need to take a nice long siesta and then go out for a stroll at midnight.

No one has mentioned animals... On the VDL Plata I did a very early start in pitch darkness and was terrified by the most vicious sounding farm dogs. In the dark you can't see if a dog is chained up or in a pen. It just barks horribly when you approach and you can't see where the sound is coming from or if it's coming for you. Can be very intimidating. Plus if it did go for you, the owner isn't around to control it (and might well think it was doing its job!). Plus cattle and big pigs around too, which are fine in the daytime, but can give you an awful fright in the dark.

No one has mentioned animals....

Good point! Crossing those huge expanses at night, full of cows and sometimes pigs on the VdlP would be VERY scary (for me!) :D
There are places - although NOT on the Camino, that I know of anyway! - where villagers do leave all the dogs loose at night, precisely to protect the village.
I hope the OP was talking about walking nice, more 'straightforward' stretches on the CF !:)

On the flip side of walking at night, how about the ones who get up zero dark thirty..and walk in the dark.

Don't we love the ones who go to bed at 4 pm or earlier. They tell you to shut up while trying to get the e a r l y sleep. But, they get up at 3 or 4 am. Rattle bags. Turn lights on. Move chairs around. Talk loud. Having no respect for others!

Why is it so important that they have to hit the Camino at such a hour?
Possibly the bed race? There were plenty of beds when I walked my three Caminos.

Having done the Frances twice and the Ingles once, I noticed more and more of this "we don't care" attitudes in the early morning hours. Waking others up.

Manners used to be the thing on the Caminos. Seems those days are gone.

Majority of the people I have met over the years on the Caminos are wonderful.

But seems to be more and more rude ones now.

Walked the Ingles May 2016.
Frances biked 2014
Frances walked 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.