• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking camino Frances in April

GBS

Grace. Sutherland
Time of past OR future Camino
This April 2014- Camino Frances
Hi all,
We've got about just over 2 weeks training left and I've got really bad muscle spasms going on on my right shoulder girdle and my back has seized up a bit. Been walking 10-12 miles every other day and wondering is this will be enough to see me through if I don't get out much in the next week. Any advice welcome. Going to see a doc today.
G

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Grace,

I will be starting on the 3rd or 4th of April, Hope to meet you and your husband on the path. Good luck.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good Morning Grace....My husband and I are leaving Ottawa On Canada by train March 30th to Montreal, flying to Paris and taking train to SJPP with one stop over and starting the Camino on my fifth birthday...April 4, 2014. Hope to run into you all along the way somewhere

Hi
I'm leaving SJPDP on Apr 5th on my 1st Camino.
Look forward to seeing you all there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi grace! I was in Isle of Skye last march! Beautiful!
Im starting from SJPP March 31.... Or maybe April 2....
Buen Camino

Hello Grace and Buen Camino. I'm leaving the States April 6, arrive Paris April 7 AM and hope to be in SJPP starting my walk on April 8th. I'm really getting anxious about making all the right train connections to get to SJPP. I've read that there is little time between the trains where you switch in Bayonne. Does anybody have any information on that? Hope to see some or all of you on the trail!

For the current timetable until July 2014 of the TER ligne 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP see this earlier Forum posting.

As long as you are not transporting a bike you WILL have time in Bayonne to make the connecting train to SJPdP. Be sure to purchase the ticket to SJPdP at the same time in Paris that you purchase your TGV ticket to Bayonne. There are NO reserved seats on the train to SJPdP; seating is open as on a tram or metro. Generally the SJPdP train waits for the TGV train to arrive and pilgrims to disembark and connect before setting off.

The Bayonne rr station is small and easily navigable; the staff is helpful and serves multitudes of tourists and pilgrims each year. If by chance the TGV train from Paris is late and you miss your connection go to the station master's office with your tickets and ask for assistance. During past caminos this has happened to me twice; once because of ice on the tracks and once because a cow was stuck between the rails. Both times the SNCF provided and PAID for our shared pilgrim taxi to SJPdP.

Bon voyage and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For the current timetable until July 2014 of the TER ligne 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP see this earlier Forum posting.

As long as you are not transporting a bike you WILL have time in Bayonne to make the connecting train to SJPdP. Be sure to purchase the ticket to SJPdP at the same time in Paris that you purchase your TGV ticket to Bayonne. There are NO reserved seats on the train to SJPdP; seating is open as on a tram or metro. Generally the SJPdP train waits for the TGV train to arrive and pilgrims to disembark and connect before setting off.

The Bayonne rr station is small and easily navigable; the staff is helpful and serves multitudes of tourists and pilgrims each year. If by chance the TGV train from Paris is late and you miss your connection go to the station master's office with your tickets and ask for assistance. During past caminos this has happened to me twice; once because of ice on the tracks and once because a cow was stuck between the rails. Both times the SNCF provided and PAID for our shared pilgrim taxi to SJPdP.

Bon voyage and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margaret Meredith. That is very helpful and reassuring information!

Hi Grace, I'm planning on setting off around the same time as you. I couldn't help but reply as a midwife at my birth had just returned from the Isle of Skye, hence one of the reasons for my name! I'll see you out there!

'Twenty years from now you will be disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.' -Mark Twain

Hi, my name is Grace. I'm from the Isle of Skye and with my husband,
plan to walk the Camino Frances beginning on April 5th 2014 from St Jean.
I'd love to hear from anyone else who's walking around then :)
No questions as yet but planning to trawl the boards for info and inspiration
Greetings and Peace,
Hi Grace

Pawo here from ten Netherlands i hope to arrive april 2 at SJPDP
And since i'm a snail, climbing mountains, you both prolly catch up !!!!!

So Buen Camino
(this is the first time i use this Camino goodby)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi grace! I was in Isle of Skye last march! Beautiful!
Im starting from SJPP March 31.... Or maybe April 2....
Buen Camino
Hope to run into you along the way! Skye very windy/cold at the moment with hailstones. :-(

Hailstones! Yikes! Not good news for a girl from the tropics who views 20C as cold :) It's all part of the adventure though hey? I have heaps of layers but will grab some gloves with that in mind- cheers!

'Twenty years from now you will be disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.' -Mark Twain

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
76 days tell i leave this long winter in Canada yesterday being -25 with wind chill. We can't wait to get out of here. Plus 20 is looking pretty good to me right now. The bed bug thing is freaking me out a bit because bugs that bite like my fair skin. My husband isn't bothered a bit. I'm so looking forward to my journey and have posted on my facebook that this is the most excited I have been for a birthday, even turning 50. Hope to see everyone on the trail.

I will be doing my first Camino at the same time - April 10th through May. I will be flying into Madrid from USA on the 8th and bussing to Pamplona then somehow getting to Roncesvalles where I plan to begin. I have been looking forward to this for several years, but now I'm beginning to believe that my family must be right - they think I'm crazy. Hopefully our paths will cross, search for a short Texan who looks lost -- or crazy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I launch myself upon the Camino Frances on 1 April, flying from Amman Jordan to Biarritz, arriving in SJPdP (hopefully) on 1 April. All in good time for a 2 April start. Over-nighting at the Auberge de Pelerin. Looking forward to it now - two and a half years in the planning and now only 72 hours to go. Hope to connect along the way with fellow Peregrinos - I am starting solo.

I launch myself upon the Camino Frances on 1 April, flying from Amman Jordan to Biarritz, arriving in SJPdP (hopefully) on 1 April. All in good time for a 2 April start. Over-nighting at the Auberge de Pelerin. Looking forward to it now - two and a half years in the planning and now only 72 hours to go. Hope to connect along the way with fellow Peregrinos - I am starting solo.
Buen Camino Conrad!
I'll start from SJPDP two days later

hi Conrad!
i start mach 31, but will be taking it slowly and will be spending 2 nights in Pamplona, so maybe we"ll run into each other somewhere along the way!
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be doing my first Camino at the same time - April 10th through May. I will be flying into Madrid from USA on the 8th and bussing to Pamplona then somehow getting to Roncesvalles where I plan to begin. I have been looking forward to this for several years, but now I'm beginning to believe that my family must be right - they think I'm crazy. Hopefully our paths will cross, search for a short Texan who looks lost -- or crazy.

Ronnie s there is a few folks who have posted they will be leaving st jean pied de port 8-10 April for sure you will run into a few on the Spanish side myself included. Sometime folks just keep it simple & start from Pamplona in any case we are all getting close & it is getting exciting.
Keith

hi Conrad!
i start mach 31, but will be taking it slowly and will be spending 2 nights in Pamplona, so maybe we"ll run into each other somewhere along the way!
Buen Camino
Geralbc,

I will keep an eye out for you along the way. Buen Camino.

CS

Ronnie s there is a few folks who have posted they will be leaving st jean pied de port 8-10 April for sure you will run into a few on the Spanish side myself included. Sometime folks just keep it simple & start from Pamplona in any case we are all getting close & it is getting exciting.
Keith

Keith, I am so excited I can hardly sleep at night!! Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's the darn flight over, I am hoping I can sleep. Other wise the jet lag will turn me into the grumpy old guy. See you on the trail.
Keith

Keith,

Boy can I relate to not looking forward to flight. I wish "Scotty" could "Beam me over." It is even longer from the west coast. It will take me more than 2 days to reach St Jean. I will be very jet/travel lagged!!! But I leave here Wednesday morning. Yeah!

Mary are you going thru Paris as well or Madrid? Seems getting to our starting points is a journey by itself. I live to travel, but the long flights make me stir crazy. My love of Paris ( I would live there if I could) but the camino draws me like nothing I have ever experienced. So I am avoiding a stay over in Paris.
Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am not going through Paris. I fly from Washington to Newark. I have a 6 hour layover in Newark. Then fly to Madrid. I arrive in Madrid next morning and take train from Madrid to Pamplona. I am met at train station in Pamplona by Istvan from Corazon Puro and stay the night there. Then he takes me to St Jean where I will spend another night trying to be adjusted from all the traveling. Finally, on Saturday, I will walk. The long flights are very hard on my osteoarthritis. Walking will be a relief.

I get the train from Stuttgart to Paris then on to Bayonne on 15th April. Heard there is now a bus in place of the train taking us from Bayonne to St Jean because of a landslide. Fun! Hope after all that excitement to start early 16th April with my walk. Will decide which route but at the moment, might be Valcarlos way to Roncevalles. Hmm.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.