• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking El Camino in May 2006

mexicantraveler

Hi, my name is Hortensia, I am from Mexico and I'll be traveling to Madrid on the 22 of May. I will start my Camino at Roncesvalles all by myself. I have read the posts on the safety of the road but I am sure I will be o.k. I expect to make a lot of friends on the way to Santiago.

God bless all who dare to explore the world and share with others what they find... Thank you all!!!

Mexican Traveler

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gracias...

Hola Ivar, muchas gracias. Claro que he aprendido muchas cosas leyendo este forum y agradezco a todos la ayuda que brindan a los que estamos por iniciar esta nueva etapa de nuestra vida... asĂ­ lo considero.

Estaré muy pendiente de nuevos tips y consejos... espero poder ayudar más adelante a otros... mil gracias.

Recibe un saludo de Monterrey, MĂ©xico.

Hortensia... :p

P.D. Supongo que hablas español... :oops:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi ,
I will walking ithe camino in may this year. Maybe will come across each other. My name is Jessica. Como estas? I am also learning spanish, which i will be brushing up on. Yo soy de australia.
What made you decide to do the journey?
Stay well.
Chat soon, Jessica. :lol:

Hola...

Hola Jessica mucho gusto y muchas gracias por escribir... puedes practicar tu español conmigo...

Hi Jessica, nice meeting you and thank you for writing... you can practice your Spanish with me...

Ever since I heard about El Camino it has been in my mind, I can't explain with words why or what came to me that made me decide to do it.
I am planning to start My Camino around the 25th of May from Roncesvalles... and you? when are you going to start?

Take care and I hope to see you here again soon...

Buen Camino,

Hortensia :p

Hola Hortensia!
Como estas? Gracias, Esta bien hablar espanol con tu/ti(?). I have only had a few classes, and have just recently misplaced my spanish notes, pero yo quiero practicar espanol.
Yo voy a St Jean P D P en Mayo 13. So, No se what day i will start.... yo hablo Spanglish!
I am getting very excited and nervous. I will arrive in Paris, and make my way down to SJPDP.
Donde vives en Mexico?
Donde vas en Europe?
Hablar Pronto!
Nos vemos, Jesiquita!
:wink:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola...

Hola Jessica,
Me da gusto que me escribas... tu español es bueno y podemos practicar aquí... (la palabra es "contigo" - hablar español contigo).

Yo vivo en Monterrey, al norte de México, muy cerca de la frontera con EE.UU. y pienso volar de aquí a Madrid el 22 de Mayo, todavía no estoy 100% segura pero esos son mis planes. De Madrid tomaré el tren a Pamplona y de ahí un taxi a Roncesvalles. Estaría iniciando mi caminata de Roncesvalles entre el 25 y 26 de Mayo. Yo voy a viajar sola y me da un poco de temor pero creo que es normal.

Si no logro hacerlo ahora en Mayo trataré de ir a fines de Agosto porque no me gustaría que me tocara frío, creo que es más difícil porque tienes que cargar cosas más pesadas. Vamos a ver que sucede, espero poder hacerlo en Mayo.

Te mando un abrazo y sigue escribiendo... cuentame de tĂ­, donde vives y que haces...

Buen Camino...

Hortensia... :p

I am starting out in mid May, haven't actually arranged anything yet (excpet 4 weeks off work). I am finding it hard to get a definate answer on where I can get the 'passport' - differnt websites say differnt things. Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi...

Hi Tom, good to hear from you... what passport are you talking about? and where are you from? Do you mean the passport (ID) to be able to travel from one country to another and so? or the "credencial" that allows you to spend the night at the albergues along the Camino de Santiago? I am sure somebody else can give you good advice on this...
I just want to welcome you and tell you Keep it up, don't lose heart... try hard and you'll make it!

Buen Camino...

Hortensia... :lol:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Credential - Pilgrim Passport

Ypou can get the credential from most refuges, some cathedrals, or from a Confraternity of St James in the country where you live. You could even make it yourself!

The CSJ UK gives this advice:
Starting Point Where to apply
le Puy the Cathedral, or the local association of the Amis de St Jacques
St Jean Pied-de-Port Accueil St Jacques,
39 rue de la Citadelle
Roncesvalles the Abbey
Other places in Spain the local refugio, the church, the police station, the guardia civil, the ayuntamiento, the office of the local Amigos del Camino de Santiago.

3. If you live in the USA, Canada, or Ireland:
Apply to the local association:

For the USA, American Pilgrims on the Camino

For Canada, The Little Company of Pilgrims.

For Ireland, the Irish Society of the Friends of St James.

Hola Tom y Hortensia y Ivan!

Hortensia, I understand most of your email.. but will write it down , and when i have fully interpreted it, I will write back in Spanglish! So, thank you, and keep writing .....

Tom, where are you from? I wish you well in your travels, may we will meet each other,
Jess.
Ivan thank you for your helpful hand in things!

Hasta Luego..
Jesiquita! :p

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Hortensia!
Will send you an email soon.
I will be travelling in May, and should start my journey mid may.
I will arrive in paris and make my way down.
Speak soon (in Spanish!)
Jesiquita!
Thanks for last msg..kind of understood it!
Feel excited and anxious and also calm re Journey! :wink:

Hi there,

I start my trip next week and wanted some last minute advice any help will be greatly appreciated .
Firstly does anyone know the quickest way to get to St Jean Pied de Port from Biaritz Airport, the research I have done suggests a train will take approx 3 hours (this includes a stop of 2 hours) - is there a quicker way and can this be taken directly from the airport (also does the train go from the airport??)

Secondly can anyone recommend some cheap accomaodation in St Jean Pied de Port.

Regards

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Tom

I'm going out next week too - on Monday.

My plan is to take a taxi from the airport directly to Bayonne train station and get the train from there directly to StJPdPort. A bit more expensive but easier and quicker!

May see you!

Good walking.

Staying in St Jean

Hello Tom,
If you visit the Accueil Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadell they will advise you about accommodation, pilgrim passports etc.
You can stay at the pilgrim refuge at 55 rue de la Citadelle. They charge E11.
Or you can stay at L'Eprirt du Chemin at 40 rue de la Citadelle. Not sure of charge - probably a donation.
There is a gite across the bridge called Sous un chemin d'etoile with 60 beds - E7.
Buen camino,

Paul,

When do you arrive in Biarritz? I arrive Monday the 15th. Because I will have a bike and I am lazy, I have arranged for a taxi to SJJP for 75Euros. A bit extravagant, but I want to start riding very, very early on Tuesday, and don't want to get to SJJP too late.

If you aarive on Monday at the right time, we could share the taxi.\

Larry

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Larry

God willing I will be getting into Biarritz on Monday pm. I'll keep an eye open for you. Can't be too many bikers.

I plan to go by train - I love them. But we could well meet up again in StJPdP.

Good travelling.

Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.