• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Frances with 10-year old granddaughter

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2015
Hello Pilgrims,
I’ve been telling my granddaughter for years that she and I will walk the Camino together when she is in double-digits. That time will be late June, as soon as school is out. I have previously walked the Frances and the Norte. We plan to start around the Leon vicinity and go to Santiago and hopefully Muxia. I wonder if any of you have specific advice for walking with this age-group and if you (or the child) would care to comment. Thank you in advance.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is she as excited about walking as you are? My husband and I took our two boys with us in 2015. We walked from Sarria to Santiago they were experiencing a state of digital withdraw-no xbox. They were mad! They hated the camino! After we arrived to our hotel in Santiago my husband and I were talking about coming back and doing it without the kids because it was so emotionally and physically challenging doing it with them; they overheard us and said they wanted to come back. In 2017 we walked the Camino Sanabres and they brought their phones and they hardly complained. (They didn't use the phones while walking but did so once we reached the hotel.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, we walked March/April 2018 with our then 9 and 11 y.o boys (11 y.o turned 12 on the Camino). We are walking again in Dec 2019/Jan 2020 - they will be 11 (just) and 13. Like Rosalinda, they boys had phones which helped them. They were a lot faster than us! Like all of us, they had days where they motored past and days that were hard. It was wonderful having such undivided attention to talk and discuss things. Our older son is very outgoing and would often join other walking parties! The boys carried their teddies across the Camino. They enjoyed having Cola Cao (hot chocolate) everyday when we had our cafe con leche. The food was fine. I found that we stopped and 'smelled the roses' a lot, stopped at various playgrounds. Went wandering around the villages. We mostly stayed in hotels or private rooms, personal preference. Boys are looking forward to staying in albergues next time around. Sorry, the above is a bit all over the place!

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have - or the boys could answer - either here or via private message.

Last edited:
Is she as excited about walking as you are? My husband and I took our two boys with us in 2015. We walked from Sarria to Santiago they were experiencing a state of digital withdraw-no xbox. They were mad! They hated the camino! After we arrived to our hotel in Santiago my husband and I were talking about coming back and doing it without the kids because it was so emotionally and physically challenging doing it with them; they overheard us and said they wanted to come back. In 2017 we walked the Camino Sanabres and they brought their phones and they hardly complained. (They didn't use the phones while walking but did so once we reached the hotel.)
Hi Rosalinda, thanks for responding. My granddaughter is very into it and we’ve already started training walks, but as we all know it’s tougher than it sounds. My plan is to walk as much as we can but if we need a rest day or to bus a bit or send our packs forward we will. Interesting that your boys wanted to go back after initially hating it. What a great experience for your family to share!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, we walked March/April 2018 with our then 9 and 11 y.o boys (11 y.o turned 12 on the Camino). We are walking again in Dec 2019/Jan 2020 - they will be 11 (just) and 13. Like Rosalinda, they boys had phones which helped them. They were a lot faster than us! Like all of us, they had days where they motored past and days that were hard. It was wonderful having such undivided attention to talk and discuss things. Our older son is very outgoing and would often join other walking parties! The boys carried their teddies across the Camino. They enjoyed having Cola Cao (hot chocolate) everyday when we had our cafe con leche. The food was fine. I found that we stopped and 'smelled the roses' a lot, stopped at various playgrounds. Went wandering around the villages. We mostly stayed in hotels or private rooms, personal preference. Boys are looking forward to staying in albergues next time around. Sorry, the above is a bit all over the place!

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have - or the boys could answer - either here or via private message.

Hi Gumba— This is what I was hoping to hear about. Glad to have the Cola Cao mystery solved. I noticed the World Towning kids were really into it. My gd doesn’t have a phone yet and I’m not sure her parents want her to have one but I might have an old one we could fix up. I hadn’t thought about her going ahead of me on her own but if we met another kid or people we bond w it might happen. Did you have any rules w them to make it work? Thanks for the offer to pm you or have my gd pm your boys. How many kilometers did you average per day? Did they listen to audiobooks or music? Thanks so much for taking the time.

To answer your questions - boys had a Kobo app so would read books that we downloaded prior to walking, plus music and played games. None of us used our phones (books/music) while walking - for no particular reason.

We generally walked 20-25 km per day. One day we walked 10km (bliss!) and from Saria to SdC we decided to slow down and walk 15 kms. by then it was easy peasy and most enjoyable.

We did decide to catch a train from Leon to Sarria as we had heard the snow was very deep especially heading up O'Cebreiro. We felt it just wasn't safe enough to put our children at risk.l They specifically asked that we walk it next time around. We will see, we will be passing through early January.

The 9 year old had the most energy the entire way...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Pilgrims,
I’ve been telling my granddaughter for years that she and I will walk the Camino together when she is in double-digits. That time will be late June, as soon as school is out. I have previously walked the Frances and the Norte. We plan to start around the Leon vicinity and go to Santiago and hopefully Muxia. I wonder if any of you have specific advice for walking with this age-group and if you (or the child) would care to comment. Thank you in advance.
Hi Rachel,
One year (in July/August), we walked from St Jean to Santiago with my friend’s nephew, who turned 11 on the Camino. Plenty of ice cream, even sweets (I think it was to stop him talking so much ;) ). Seriously: plenty of water, lots of good food and a nap in the afternoon worked well.
The fun bit was collecting as many sellos as possible (he ended up with lots of filled up Credentials) oh... and waving to lorries who would honk back :D
We all had great fun!
Have a wonderful Camino.

Hi Gumba— This is what I was hoping to hear about. Glad to have the Cola Cao mystery solved. I noticed the World Towning kids were really into it. My gd doesn’t have a phone yet and I’m not sure her parents want her to have one but I might have an old one we could fix up. I hadn’t thought about her going ahead of me on her own but if we met another kid or people we bond w it might happen. Did you have any rules w them to make it work? Thanks for the offer to pm you or have my gd pm your boys. How many kilometers did you average per day? Did they listen to audiobooks or music? Thanks so much for taking the time.
Just thought I’d answer your query...
We walked it in 31 days. He was full of energy.
He didn’t have a phone and frankly, we didn’t leave him out of our sight... We ended up as a little group of 4 and he either walked with his uncle or the friend we’d met or me ... but never on his own, no.
I can’t recall him having audio books or music, we just sometimes borrowed his uncle’s ipad and played ‘Angry birds’ a lot :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Rachel, that is very exciting. A couple years back Patricia (Trish) Ellis Herr walked with her 2 girls Alex and Sage. The have/had a very nice website called Girls on the Way, I think they were about 8 and 10, enjoy the way with your grand daughter

To answer your questions - boys had a Kobo app so would read books that we downloaded prior to walking, plus music and played games. None of us used our phones (books/music) while walking - for no particular reason.

We generally walked 20-25 km per day. One day we walked 10km (bliss!) and from Saria to SdC we decided to slow down and walk 15 kms. by then it was easy peasy and most enjoyable.

We did decide to catch a train from Leon to Sarria as we had heard the snow was very deep especially heading up O'Cebreiro. We felt it just wasn't safe enough to put our children at risk.l They specifically asked that we walk it next time around. We will see, we will be passing through early January.

The 9 year old had the most energy the entire way...
Wonderful intel - muchas gracias!

I met some grandparents and their granddaughter in Orisson. I had dinner with them in Roncevalles ... the granddaughter hardly spoke o them at dinner. She spoke to me and was very pleasant, but not with them. She was experiencing withdraws from friends, and maybe mom & dad. Grandpa would not allow her to use her phone.

Anyway, she flew home early from Pamplona. They worked it out for her to skip school for a month, and she ditched them or visa versa. Teach her patience by being patient. Teach her compromise by compromising. You get the idea. We all need to feel in control of our personal space.

He walked his own camino. Why not let her walk hers?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I met some grandparents and their granddaughter in Orisson. I had dinner with them in Roncevalles ... the granddaughter hardly spoke o them at dinner. She spoke to me and was very pleasant, but not with them. She was experiencing withdraws from friends, and maybe mom & dad. Grandpa would not allow her to use her phone.

Anyway, she flew home early from Pamplona. They worked it out for her to skip school for a month, and she ditched them or visa versa. Teach her patience by being patient. Teach her compromise by compromising. You get the idea. We all need to feel in control of our personal space.

He walked his own camino. Why not let her walk hers?
I hope that doesn’t happen to us!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Rachel,

I did Astorga-Santiago with my nephew (almost 10) in April 2011. He got his own childrens back-pack (22 L) and carried most of his stuff (only his sleeping bag was too voluminous, so I had to put it in my back-back). He enjoyed walking and recovered easily from the daily walks (up to 28 km/day). The spanish are very fond of children, so in every bar or albergue he was offered some sweets, biscuits etc. He sometimes thought that the elderly spanish ladies were a bit nasty!
He liked "cola cao" (hot chocolate) and fresh orange juice, but also wanted to try "pulpo" and "snails".
Arriving at the seaside in Fisterra with its long beaches was a special treat for him.
He preferred albergues with small bedrooms (up to 6 persons) or private rooms.
Now at the age of almost 17 he thinks of going back on the camino again, but with his girl-friend, not with his aunt!

BC
Alexandra

Hi Rachel,

I did Astorga-Santiago with my nephew (almost 10) in April 2011. He got his own childrens back-pack (22 L) and carried most of his stuff (only his sleeping bag was too voluminous, so I had to put it in my back-back). He enjoyed walking and recovered easily from the daily walks (up to 28 km/day). The spanish are very fond of children, so in every bar or albergue he was offered some sweets, biscuits etc. He sometimes thought that the elderly spanish ladies were a bit nasty!
He liked "cola cao" (hot chocolate) and fresh orange juice, but also wanted to try "pulpo" and "snails".
Arriving at the seaside in Fisterra with its long beaches was a special treat for him.
He preferred albergues with small bedrooms (up to 6 persons) or private rooms.
Now at the age of almost 17 he thinks of going back on the camino again, but with his girl-friend, not with his aunt!

BC
Alexandra
I have a feeling my granddaughter will be stronger than me but we'll see. We've been discussing the word grit, which is what the Camino tests me on on a daily basis.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.