• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am planning to walk from Pamplona to St. Jean. Would the route be easy to follow?
Yes. Just keep walking towards all the people walking the other way. A large placard stating "I'm not lost, just contrarian" might come in useful. Any of the standard apps will keep you on track and won't give a monkey's which way you are walking.

I wasn't going to ask "Why", but I can't contain myself. Why?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Except the ones who settled in the various Villafrancas, or were settled in the Xardín do Cemiterio de San Frutuoso.

You are correct amigo @astronwolf that medieval pilgrims had to walk home and would have often followed the route by which they arrived in Santiago. There would have been little surprise among the outward-bound at encountering a homeward bound pilgrim. A little jealousy perhaps but not surprise. The exchanges between the in-bound and the out-bound in the Hospitals along the routes must have been fascinating. "Watch out for bed-bugs Samos; mad dogs in Foncebadon; the toll-collectors at Puente de Reina". In this modern age of tick-box, one-way, camino the contrarian is likely to encounter astonishment. Why walk when there is a perfectly good airport at Santiago?

Last edited:
I walked that way in 2014, and found the advice to walk towards those coming towards you to be lacking early in the morning as we tried to work out which fork in the path to take on the hill out of Zubiri. It was going to be a long time until the first pilgrims came along and we'd have never made it to Roncesvalles! We just picked one path and decided we'd backtrack if we hadn't seen a mojon within a kilometer.
The next day (Roncesvalles to Saint Jean) we walked in rain driving horizontal like panes of glass flying around, mixed in with fog and we must have missed a marker and ended up on the road for almost the whole day.
BUT now you can pop a wee app on your phone and I suspect such situations could be a thing of the past.

@Tincatinker why were we walking backwards? I had arrived with two of my boys in Pamplona and wanted to do a loop around there (to Saint Jean and then the Voie de la Nive to Bayonne, then the Baztan), ending up back in Pamplona to meet Daddy, who was coming with two of the girls to join us.

Get a map app!!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, be ready for endless comments of “you are walking the wrong way!” or “you lost” or “headed home” or so similar. While there are times that the path will be obvious simply because there is no other way to walk or the crowds are present, you should really get a gps-based app or map to keep you on target. It’s VERY easy to wander off the path, but no worries because it’s even easier to realize that you are NOT on the path. Those who haven’t done it don’t know this but you will wander away from the Camino and immediately know it. No stress - you got this!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with @Vacajoe - we have walked some parts of various caminos 'in reverse' and somehow we got the feeling if we had veered off. It does make for some fun greetings. On the Frances as the day goes on, the 'oncoming traffic' reassures you that you're on the path. But as @Kiwi-family says, the early parts of the day you don't have that so, as others have said, a map or app will help at those times. Enjoy this different perspective.

Check the weather in Roncesvalles and if good take the Napoleon route to St. Jean and the Valcarlos route back to Pamplona. If the weather forecast is bad walk the other way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Except the ones who settled in the various Villafrancas, or were settled in the Xardín do Cemiterio de San Frutuoso.

You are correct amigo @astronwolf that medieval pilgrims had to walk home and would have often followed the route by which they arrived in Santiago. There would have been little surprise among the outward-bound at encountering a homeward bound pilgrim. A little jealousy perhaps but not surprise. The exchanges between the in-bound and the out-bound in the Hospitals along the routes must have been fascinating. "Watch out for bed-bugs Samos; mad dogs in Foncebadon; the toll-collectors at Puente de Reina". In this modern age of tick-box, one-way, camino the contrarian is likely to encounter astonishment. Why walk when there is a perfectly good airport at Santiago?
Daring and insightful exercise Camino buen reversed on purpose ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back