A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Walking from the Faro de Fisterra to Fisterra at night

0 Euro Camino Bank Note
Camino(s) past & future
2018 Camino Portugues (Valença to Santiago)
2019 (planned) Santiago- Finisterre-Muxia
Greetings Peregrinos,

Does anyone know if the walk from the Faro de Fisterra to the town of Fisterra at night is advisable? Is the path well lighted or is a headlamp required? My wife and I were planning to watch the sunset from the Faro and then walk back to the apartment after dark. Any suggestions? We will be in Fisterra for two nights before heading to Muxia and plan to walk to the Mar de Fora beach see the sunset on the second night Any thought? suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
It is fine, perfectly safe. The walking path is separate from the road. There will be many people walking back after dark or even early hours of the morning.

Enjoy!

Gogs

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 2017, Ingles 2018, Frances May 2019
Marco, my wife and I walked back after watching the sunset at the end of April last year. It was a great experience to watch the sun go down whilst sipping a glass of wine. It just seem a fitting end to our Camino. The walk back into town was fine, there were not many cars on the road and their were a few other walkers making their was back into town.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Even after the sun officially sets you'll still have some ambient light, and the walk takes about 40 minutes (and it will be mostly downhill from the Cabo) so you should be fine. If you're coming in the summer, you may already know that the sun doesn't set here until something like 11pm - so you may feel like going to sleep before the sun does! Enjoy and Buen Camino :)

Camino(s) past & future
Marco, my wife and I walked back after watching the sunset at the end of April last year. It was a great experience to watch the sun go down whilst sipping a glass of wine. It just seem a fitting end to our Camino. The walk back into town was fine, there were not many cars on the road and their were a few other walkers making their was back into town.
Thank you for your reply. The wine sounds like a great idea. We will be sure to take a bottle up to the Faro.

Camino(s) past & future
Even after the sun officially sets you'll still have some ambient light, and the walk takes about 40 minutes (and it will be mostly downhill from the Cabo) so you should be fine. If you're coming in the summer, you may already know that the sun doesn't set here until something like 11pm - so you may feel like going to sleep before the sun does! Enjoy and Buen Camino :)
Thank you for your response. Yes, I remember only too well on last year’s Camino falling asleep every night before the sun went down. Staying up late was primarily the reason to stay two nights in Fisterra before heading on toward Muxia.

tangata hikoi

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Pamploma (April/May 2014)
VDLP March 2019 Sanabres April 2019
Finisterre/Muxia April 2019
I walked down the road in the dark about 3 nights ago with no moon ( due to clouds) was easy to do.
Megg

tangata hikoi

Camino(s) past & future
PS: suggest going TO the lighthouse over the top rather than via the road - in the light. It is an easy walk with a bit if uphill but not hard. Several reasons to do it. Coming towards Faro you get an amazing view over the point not possible from the road. You can visit the Pedras Santa's at the top...amazing Holy Stones that gently ' rock' but won't be moved by force.
And I also visited the Hermitage San William - was a diversion off to the side. Ancient sacred site.
Worth the slightly longer walk.
Megg

tangata hikoi

Camino(s) past & future
Just using Windy Maps (which is a super brilliant map app - so helpful on my walk from Seville) there are a few little walking tracks over the top. Google maps doesnt show the walking routes as Windy Maps does - it is SO good!
Head up a street called 'Camino Insua' and you will find a walking route, just follow that. Would be hard to get lost as the sea is on either side and only one way to get to the point. It definitely worth it.
Megg

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
Just using Windy Maps (which is a super brilliant map app - so helpful on my walk from Seville) there are a few little walking tracks over the top. Google maps doesnt show the walking routes as Windy Maps does - it is SO good!
Head up a street called 'Camino Insua' and you will find a walking route, just follow that. Would be hard to get lost as the sea is on either side and only one way to get to the point. It definitely worth it.
Megg
Thank you!

Camino(s) past & future
PS: suggest going TO the lighthouse over the top rather than via the road - in the light. It is an easy walk with a bit if uphill but not hard. Several reasons to do it. Coming towards Faro you get an amazing view over the point not possible from the road. You can visit the Pedras Santa's at the top...amazing Holy Stones that gently ' rock' but won't be moved by force.
And I also visited the Hermitage San William - was a diversion off to the side. Ancient sacred site.
Worth the slightly longer walk.
Megg
Thank you for you comments and suggestions Megg. I will definely plan to walk over the top to the lighthouse and take the road back. Did you ever make it to the Mar de
Fora beach on the other side of the Peninsula?

tangata hikoi

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you for you comments and suggestions Megg. I will definely plan to walk over the top to the lighthouse and take the road back. Did you ever make it to the Mar de
Fora beach on the other side of the Peninsula?
Yes I did! Twice in fact. I went via that beach on the way over the top to Faro but I had the pleasure of being taken there the evening before by the 2 Hospitelieros at Albergue San Roque. I was the only pilgrim in the Albergue that evening and as we were doing the dishes they suddenly said let's go and see the sunset. So we got in the car and he drove us to that beach.
I had a bit of a funny feeling about driving to the place a would be walking the next day - but actually it was fine and the sunset was lovely. In the end I was glad to have gone as the next night when I was there it was cloudy.
Megg

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%