• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Guides and Accommodations - First Timer

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I am planning on walking from Le-Puy-en-Velay to Finisterre and would appreciate assistance in a few areas based on your experiences.

Walking Guides

I have seen names like Alison Raju, Ben Cole / Beth Davies, John Brierley associated with walking guides. Do you favour one particular guide and if so why? Is a walking guide even necessary or does one simply "follow the arrows"?

Accommodations

I am looking to stay in Bed & Breakfast, small hotels etc. and would like to hear from you as to particular web sites that would be helpful or even better obtain actual accommodation recommendations based your Camino experience.

Thanks for taking the time to read my basic questions and also thanks for sharing your personal thoughts to help me out.

GuyA

p.s. I also posted this on the The LePuy Route and Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia boards. If this was improper sorry in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Best, light guide from the Confraternity of St James: http://www.csj.org.uk

You could have all your accommodation pre-booked: Find companies here:
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2009/12/2 ... amino.html

The annual “Guía oficial de hotels” published by the Instituto de Turismo de España is available from most bookstores or contact your local Spanish Tourist Board. http://www.spainbookers.com/
1 to 5 star hotels can be found throughout Spain. Most hotels have seasonal price structures and cost will depend on the time of year you travel.

Hi!
Best guide on the Le Puy route is The Miam Dodo guide and the Alison R.guide. I carried them both last autumn, but cut out the pages that was general and threw away pages after passing. Brought copies of maps on the French part, but never used them. On the Spanish part Brierleys map book is brilliant. I had walked there twice before and knew I really did not need a guide.In France I found places on http://www.chemindecompostelle.com and mailed them to book before leaving home. Stayed mostly in small hotels, CH and places like that a bit more unsocial than the gites.
Had in fact booked places to sleep for my whole trip through France. Many of the people I met In France said it was difficult to get a place to sleep and started booking days ahead. Of the few gites I stayed at I must mention The Poudally a days walking before Cahors. Beautiful place, nice rooms and a pleasant dinner in the evening. The Lascabanes after Cahors was very good as well. Stayed at the Hotel de la Vallee in Espeyrac and payed 40 euros for a room and demi-pension with a very good dinner. In Conques I stayed at the Castellou a very nice place. If you go to Romieu Le Convent de Romieu has very good single rooms as well as beds in common rooms. They had strict rules to controll for bedbugs as well. Hotel de la Paix in Air sur A`dour, your own room with breakfast for 15,33. The kommunal gite in Arzacq has single rooms as well. Dinner was not a great happening but for 35 euros ok. I did not like Le Domaine du Possible 4 km before Eauze where i stayed one night, and the hotel du Commerce in Navarrenx was not werth the cost. The night before I stayed at a nice hotel in Maslacq, hotel Magouber. All the places in France I booked demi-pension, and that was good to me because it was not easy to get meals everywhere if you did not order it.

In Spain it is much easier to get a place to sleep when you arrive, unless it is a holy year, but I will recommend the Posada in Roncesvalles if you do not want to share a room with a hundred other pilgerims. I have stayed in the refugio a couple of times, but last year I had booked at the Posada. Arrived to a heated room after a rainy day over the mountain and that was great. I would also recommend the hotel in Akkareta a few hundred metres after Larrasoana instead of the albergue there. It is really basic.And the hotel is really beautiful. It is of course a question of cost but also a question of company where you stay. On my first camino I stayed at the refugio all the times which was more social.On my next camino I stayed half / half at refugios and hostals and after walking from Le Puy last year I got used my own room and tried to get a room in Spain too. It was never a problem.
Randi

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sil,
Randi,

Many thanks for your quick replies and great information. You have given me a lot of very practical info which is will be very helpful as I plan and dream of my Camino.

Merci,

Guy

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back