• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in Oct 2013.

MrsMac

Time of past OR future Camino
october 2013
I am arriving into St Jean on the evening of the 1st of Oct and preparing to set off either the next day or the day after that. Flights are now booked and I'm feeling , umm.... not quite as brave as I would like. Is there anybody else out there alone and feeling the same who will be arriving at around the same time?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am arriving into St Jean on the evening of the 1st of Oct and preparing to set off either the next day or the day after that. Flights are now booked and I'm feeling , umm.... not quite as brave as I would like. Is there anybody else out there alone and feeling the same who will be arriving at around the same time?

Hi Mrs Mac, I know what you mean. I have been planning my camino for 3 years but as soon as I booked my flight I was terrified! But I am so much more excited. I will be arriving SJPP either 9/30 pm or 10/1 am. Might spend a night in Bayonne. Will set off from SJPP either 10/1 or 10/2, depends on how things go. Let me know if you would like to try to meet up in SJPP, share a glass of wine and try to calm each others nerves! We have an amazing adventure ahead of us! Kathryn

Hello MrsMac
My friend and I walked the Camino at the same time in 2012 and surprisingly there are still many pilgrims starting the walk from SJPP. Although we only walked for a week to Eatella, we never felt alone.

Going thought the Pyrenees to reach Roncesvalles can be challenging. The last few km going down to Roncesvalles is steep and goes through a small section of wooded area. If you start early enough you should be able to get to Roncesvalles before sundown (bring a head lamp just in case).

On the way to Roncesvalles Orisson is a good place to stop for a snack and fill up with water. From what I can recall there is only one other water source after Orisson and it is not reliable.

If the weather turns on you after you've passed Orisson, there is shelter at the top of the mountain. It's looks like a concrete shed in the middle of the trail/path. The rest of the trail into Estella were we ended goes through
small towns (except Pamplona, City) and close to civilization. I'd say start early from SJPP and after you reach Roncesvalles you can breathe a sigh of relief.

We are continuing our second leg of Frances from Estella to Burgos this September and ill be more than glad to update you on the condition of the trail or what to expect if you email me.

Good luck!
Buen Camino

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Kathryn, lovely to hear from you. I would love to try to meet up in SJPP. As I will be arriving late on the 1st of Oct, I was planning to get my credentials and my bearings on the 2nd and then head out on the 3rd.... Could that work for you?

The Camino very generously offers the opportunity to feel every emotion possible. Your courage will return! And then it might go again, but if you got as far as booking your flight, then you can do this. There are many pilgrims-to-be who are feeling the same way, and they will be thrilled to meet you in SJPP and on the trail. So much awaits you - Enjoy!

Hi, I'm flying in to Barcelona and trying to get to sjpdp to start on the 1st or 2nd. I'm not a fast hiker, but will also be walking alone, hopefully I'll see you on the trail. -Lucinda

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank Chuck for all that great advice, I hope I find others to walk with on that first day to Roncellvales

Arriving on 30th September and will be resting for a day before walking from SJPDP. See you there! Dont be scared. Just one foot in front of the other. I walked from Leon to Santiago same time last year.

Mrs. Mac

I am starting from St Jean on October 2 and am planning to stay in Orisson the first night. That is a very short walk for the first day, but the scenery and views are such that I have decided to try to absorb as much of that as I can before going on to Roncellvales the next morning. Otherwise, I am afraid that I might try to walk the first leg so fast that I miss the surroundings. If you are interested in overnighting at Orisson, you must make a reservation and pay via PayPal. Several people who have walked the Camino did the same and indicated they were thankful for doing so. If you look for someone appreciably older than you, you will have found me. Enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I'm starting off from SJPP early on Oct 3. Would be happy with company on day 1 as planning to go to roncesvalles and also walking solo. Message me if you're interested?

I walked in October last year and it was perfect. The trail was busy enough to get a nice range of company, quiet enough there was never any problem finding a bed and you could still go a couple of hours without seeing a soul. Or you could just sit down for ten minutes and someone else would go past if you didn't want to be alone. No fighting, no hurrying, no competition.

Weather was lovely, cold in the morning, warming up as the day went on then cooling off in the evening. Couldn't have been better for walking. It's lovely seeing autumn descend across Spain as you go and by the time you reach Santiago you'll have really transitioned through the seasons.

I will land in Paris on Sep 25th, but will be in SJPP, ready to begin my journey on Sep 27th in the morning (I will sleep that night in Orisson). I'm both excited and nervous! I'm so happy that I found this forum, as I can see that I will never be alone on the Camino! My name is Nancy and I will have a green Osprey bag with a Quebec flag on it :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello fellow October starters, I arrive in SJPP on Oct 2nd and plan to leave mid-morning the 3rd for Orisson, then to Roncevalles by the 4th. I hope by then my trans-Altantic jetlag will have disappeared, and my flatlander legs will be starting to adjust to hills. I will be trying to keep my pace a bit slower the first week, so may not catch up with those of you who start earlier. Buen camino to all.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
MrsMac-- you might find reciting the following passage might help any anxiety you may be feeling.

Optimist’s Creed

To be strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet. To make all your friends feel that there is something in them. To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true. To think only of the best, to work only for the best and to expect only the best.

To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own. To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future. To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature a smile. To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others. To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

It's been a touchstone for the person I strive to be. Recite it frequently and buen camino!

P.S.-- I begin on 5Oct at SJPP so maybe I'll catch up to you all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
MrsMac-- you might find reciting the following passage might help any anxiety you may be feeling.

Optimist’s Creed

To be strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet. To make all your friends feel that there is something in them. To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true. To think only of the best, to work only for the best and to expect only the best.

To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own. To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future. To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature a smile. To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others. To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

It's been a touchstone for the person I strive to be. Recite it frequently and buen camino!

P.S.-- I begin on 5Oct at SJPP so maybe I'll catch up to you all.
we also will arrive in SJPP on 4th Oct hoping to start on the 5th and go all the way to Roncesvalle in one day. Hope to see you there

I will arrive in St Jean on October the 8th and start on the 9th--if I walk faster or you walk slower perhaps I might meet one of you October walkers!

I will arrive in St Jean on October the 8th and start on the 9th--if I walk faster or you walk slower perhaps I might meet one of you October walkers!
Looks like we are starting on the same day.....I come in by train on the 8 th around 7:30 pm and plan to start walking on the 9 th.....do you know where you are staying?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
me too-- though I am trying to catch the train early enough to get to St Jean around 4:30 but there is less than a 15 minute margin and so if the train coming from Bordeaux is late into Bayonne--then I will get there when you do. I will also start on the 9th

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looks like we are starting on the same day.....I come in by train on the 8 th around 7:30 pm and plan to start walking on the 9 th.....do you know where you are staying?
No I have no idea where I am staying--I will figure that out when I get there

I am a walking alone and am incredibly nervous as well. Walking as a 35 year old single woman (although I'm leaving my husband at home) makes me a little scared after reading the previous post about harassment of women. I arrive in Madrid on October 3 and am still trying to figure out where to start. I have to be back in Madrid for my flight home October 16. Hope to meet some of you along the way!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be arriving in SJPP around noon on Oct. 1. Plan to walk to Orisson on Oct. 2. Hope to see some of you there! Kathryn

I am arriving into St Jean on 7th October and hoping to set off on 8th. I am also feeling very nervous and wishing I had been able to start a little earlier. Still not decided whether to try to make Ronscavelles in one day, or break journey at Orisson. Also worried about weather and getting lost!

Buen Camino!

I will land in Paris on Sep 25th, but will be in SJPP, ready to begin my journey on Sep 27th in the morning (I will sleep that night in Orisson). I'm both excited and nervous! I'm so happy that I found this forum, as I can see that I will never be alone on the Camino! My name is Nancy and I will have a green Osprey bag with a Quebec flag on it :)
I'm Beth: Landing in Paris on Sept 25 also, and starting out from SJPdP on the 27th, but planning to go the distance to Roncesvalles. There will be 2 of us, and I have a green gregory pack -- perhaps we will see other. Considering the schedule, we might run in to each other before St. Jean.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello MrsMac
My friend and I walked the Camino at the same time in 2012 and surprisingly there are still many pilgrims starting the walk from SJPP. Although we only walked for a week to Eatella, we never felt alone.

Going thought the Pyrenees to reach Roncesvalles can be challenging. The last few km going down to Roncesvalles is steep and goes through a small section of wooded area. If you start early enough you should be able to get to Roncesvalles before sundown (bring a head lamp just in case).

On the way to Roncesvalles Orisson is a good place to stop for a snack and fill up with water. From what I can recall there is only one other water source after Orisson and it is not reliable.

If the weather turns on you after you've passed Orisson, there is shelter at the top of the mountain. It's looks like a concrete shed in the middle of the trail/path. The rest of the trail into Estella were we ended goes through
small towns (except Pamplona, City) and close to civilization. I'd say start early from SJPP and after you reach Roncesvalles you can breathe a sigh of relief.

We are continuing our second leg of Frances from Estella to Burgos this September and ill be more than glad to update you on the condition of the trail or what to expect if you email me.

Good luck!
Buen Camino

Hi! I am also starting from estella and walking to Burgos starting tomorrow!! I walked from st jean to estella in may and will continue on to Burgos solo. I am so so nervous as the hours get nearer but also excited.. (A little more nervous though) perhaps we will cross paths. What date to you commence from estella

Buen Camino

We are walking in October. We are beginning in Leon because we can not take time off for more than 3 weeks at a time. We'll see you in the road.

Ruben & Andrea

I'm Beth: Landing in Paris on Sept 25 also, and starting out from SJPdP on the 27th, but planning to go the distance to Roncesvalles. There will be 2 of us, and I have a green gregory pack -- perhaps we will see other. Considering the schedule, we might run in to each other before St. Jean.
Hello Beth, would be great to run into each other!!! :) Where are you sleeping on the 26th...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I posted something nearly identical to your post just before I left. I was seriously anxious! Here is what you need to know - don't be! In SJPP you'll meet several people who are also walking alone. And several couples walking together. Your Hospitalero will be very nice and helpful. The people at the Compostella office will be very nice and helpful. All the unknowns and uncertainties fall away. You'll be an old pro by day 3. You'll probably find someone to walk with companionably while you're still in sight of SJPP, and if you don't you'll be ok with it because the scenery is breathtaking and you'll find someone soon enough. Smile at other peregrinos and ask where they're form and whether they're walking all the way to Santiago. Stop for a cafe con leche and share a table with another peregrino. Within the first week you'll see familiar faces everywhere you go. You will be FINE! Lucky, lucky you!

I start in October 6th from Burgos where I left off last May. Wish I could just pack and be gone for weeks-- I'll take what I can, though....:D

I arrive in Madrid on October 3 and am still trying to figure out where to start. I have to be back in Madrid for my flight home October 16. Hope to meet some of you along the way!

Start from SJPDP! I guarantee you that the Camino will pull you back, so might as well, take it on!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I plan on starting my trek in October as well! I am hoping to meet as many people as possible. I think it's best to just be as open as possible, and I am sure you will meet some great people (at least that's what Im hoping for!).

Good luck and maybe I'll see you out there.

I am arriving into St Jean on 7th October and hoping to set off on 8th. I am also feeling very nervous and wishing I had been able to start a little earlier. Still not decided whether to try to make Ronscavelles in one day, or break journey at Orisson. Also worried about weather and getting lost!

Buen Camino!
Hi Bellina. I am leaving from SJPP on the 9th....nervous too. Maybe I will meet up with you! Marilee

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Which route are all of you taking Napoleon or Valcarlos? I think the Valcarlos route may not require such a long climb.

Hello fellow October starters, I arrive in SJPP on Oct 2nd and plan to leave mid-morning the 3rd for Orisson, then to Roncevalles by the 4th. I hope by then my trans-Altantic jetlag will have disappeared, and my flatlander legs will be starting to adjust to hills. I will be trying to keep my pace a bit slower the first week, so may not catch up with those of you who start earlier. Buen camino to all.

Hello, My sister and I will be staying at Orisson the night of the Oct 4 while climbing slowly and enjoying the views. May catch up with you along The Way! Peace and Buen Camino fellow Oct 2013 Camino Pilgrim. : )

I'm also starting from StJean on 5 Oct. My speed over the mountains, however, will be dictated by the photographic opportunities I find along the way!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Bellina. I am leaving from SJPP on the 9th....nervous too. Maybe I will meet up with you! Marilee

There seem to be a few of us starting within a day or so of one another, which is making me feel a little better! I am fine to walk alone but would like to know others are not too far away if I get into trouble! Hope to see you.

Buen Camino!

Which route are all of you taking Napoleon or Valcarlos? I think the Valcarlos route may not require such a long climb.

Still undecided on which route - and I guess weather may play a part. Also undecided as to whether to go all way to Ronscevalles in first day or whether to take a break.

I posted something nearly identical to your post just before I left. I was seriously anxious! Here is what you need to know - don't be! In SJPP you'll meet several people who are also walking alone. And several couples walking together. Your Hospitalero will be very nice and helpful. The people at the Compostella office will be very nice and helpful. All the unknowns and uncertainties fall away. You'll be an old pro by day 3. You'll probably find someone to walk with companionably while you're still in sight of SJPP, and if you don't you'll be ok with it because the scenery is breathtaking and you'll find someone soon enough. Smile at other peregrinos and ask where they're form and whether they're walking all the way to Santiago. Stop for a cafe con leche and share a table with another peregrino. Within the first week you'll see familiar faces everywhere you go. You will be FINE! Lucky, lucky you!
This was so reassuring to read today. I was having a panic moment...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Laura, I am doing the exact same thing as you. Land in Paris morning of the 2nd, train to SJPP. Spending the night there and then strolling leisurely to Orisson on the 3rd, trying to dispel the jet lag. Will definitely see you at Orisson if not Saint Jean! Best, Amanda

James,

Relax. 15 minutes is plenty of time. The TER ligne 62 usually waits for the the TGV arrivals before departing; the station staff is friendly and helpful. Read what has been written earlier about Bayonne train connections and missed connections in this Forum thread. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/arriving-on-5th-september.19536/

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Does anyone know if it is safe to book the Bayonne to St. Jean train at the last minute or should you book in advance? I have tried the former online but for some reason it keeps refusing my card, though Visa says it has gone through.

Laura,

You can buy your ticket when you get to Bayonne. See this link for the current Autumn 2013 timetable.

There are NO reserved seats; seating is open as on a tram or metro. The cost to SJPdP from Bayonne is about 10 euros. SJPdP is the last stop; journey time roughly 1 1/2 hours. The TER train also transports bikes.

By the way the Gare SNCF in Bayonne is small and easily navigated. The staff is helpful and used to dealing with throngs of pilgrims as well as vacationers. They will help you find your way. The station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; relax and have a drink.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Kathryn, lovely to hear from you. I would love to try to meet up in SJPP. As I will be arriving late on the 1st of Oct, I was planning to get my credentials and my bearings on the 2nd and then head out on the 3rd.... Could that work for you?
Hi Mrs Mac. It looks like I will be arriving in sjpd around noon on Oct. 1. Will head out on Oct. 2 and spend the first night in Orisson. I hope I will see you there!

Great! I will be there in the evening of the 1st and would love to head out with you on the 2nd. Should be getting my credentials from the pilgrim office around 8pm. Keep in touch

Does anyone know if it is safe to book the Bayonne to St. Jean train at the last minute or should you book in advance? I have tried the former online but for some reason it keeps refusing my card, though Visa says it has gone through.
It is fine to book it last minute. We took a train from San Sebastian to Bayonne and bought two tickets and waited two hours for the train. I think there are two a day from Bayonne to SJPP. If you miss it you can spend the night and go in the morning - Bayonne is charming. No worries!

Hi Mrs Mac, I know what you mean. I have been planning my camino for 3 years but as soon as I booked my flight I was terrified! But I am so much more excited. I will be arriving SJPP either 9/30 pm or 10/1 am. Might spend a night in Bayonne. Will set off from SJPP either 10/1 or 10/2, depends on how things go. Let me know if you would like to try to meet up in SJPP, share a glass of wine and try to calm each others nerves! We have an amazing adventure ahead of us! Kathryn
Hi, I am Robert from Canada ! I am planning to go for a camino. Frist time and in my preparation at the moment. Never did this, learning in my reading. Planning for 2 weeks. I am in the process of resserving flight tickets ... I too is terrified. But need to take time for me. Wich to meet great people on my walk.

Don not be worried you will find your way , meet people and have wonderful experiences.
No place on earth you will feel at home like walking The Camino de Santiago. !
Let yourself go of worries and fears and Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Glad to see many folks walking in early October. For my first trip I will start from SJPdP on the 6th and finish at Burgos on the 17th to start back home to San Francisco Bay Area. Some trepidation and nervousness, but I am excited my wife let's me do this walk :)

You welcome to Spain and Camino de Santiago!
Probably the most memorable experience of your life, and is not a joke is just a reality for so many thousands or millions people since the middle age .
If you feel nervous because of the unknown or no brave ,don't worry cause you getting close to it.
Enjoy and be happy ! Things would hapens before your eyes an deep within you .
Buen Camino.

€60,-
Hey all,

Looks like I'll be in good company beginning the Camino. I'll be flying into Biarritz on the 2nd of October and making my way to SJPDP that afternoon, so will most likely set off on the 3rd by myself. Understanding the nervous feeling going around as it's my first Camino! I'm feeling a little under prepared getting my pack together now but know it'll be a great experience once I step out the door and get on the way. If you see me around come say hi!

Keith.

Hey all,

Looks like I'll be in good company beginning the Camino. I'll be flying into Biarritz on the 2nd of October and making my way to SJPDP that afternoon, so will most likely set off on the 3rd by myself. Understanding the nervous feeling going around as it's my first Camino! I'm feeling a little under prepared getting my pack together now but know it'll be a great experience once I step out the door and get on the way. If you see me around come say hi!

Keith.

Hi Keith,

It turns out quite a few of us are arriving the 2nd and starting to walk on the 3rd. We're all in this same crazy boat together and all slightly nervous. If life were exactly what we expected, how boring would that be?

Best,
Amanda

Feeling that I am not alone will be great ! From Canada - Montreal and should start the walk on the 3rd also. Like Keith said, see me around, come and say hi in french - english or spanish !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen Camino!

You'll have no problem making Roncesvalles in one day. My husband & I had booked accommodation ahead in Roncesvalles, I was nervous about crossing the mountain all in one day. I hardly slept a wink the night before,awake at 6am and was on the road @7am, picked up breakfast roll in cafe outside St Jean.Weather was dry,cold but sun was shining. At Orisson stopped for coffee where we met other pilgrims. Great atmosphere and friendliness among everyone. A few rain showers after Orisson and just when we were approx 2hrs away from Roncesvalles, rain,hail,thunder,lightning arrived and lasted for about 1hr (end May 2013)..........BUT the journey in one day was no problem at all,arriving so early in Orisson, I would have been bored hanging around there for the day especially as all the other pilgrims I met were doing the mountain in one day. I am 63 yrs old and my husband is 66!

Using Orisson is giving me the flexibility to sleep in a bit, get over some jet lag and also get my passport in the morning as opposed to rushing to do it straight off the train. It also makes day one an easy start, so I'm not immediately discouraged!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
week from today starting my journey flying from Canada to Paris taking train to Pamplona and starting my very first Camino Frances on October 6 2013... very nervous but I know I will be were I need to be that's what Camino is all about I will see u all in some point of the journey

Good Luck! It will be a wonderful journey. I'm curious about the weather at this time if year? Colder than Canada? I live in Calgary. I imagine that the colours will be grand. Enjoy!

Thank you so much for your post. I am really encouraged and reassured. I was reluctant to book Orisson partly because it was such a short distance from St Jean, and also in case local advice on day is to take alternative route if weather is bad. Will be leaving home with a lighter heart now.

You'll have no problem making Roncesvalles in one day. My husband & I had booked accommodation ahead in Roncesvalles, I was nervous about crossing the mountain all in one day. I hardly slept a wink the night before,awake at 6am and was on the road @7am, picked up breakfast roll in cafe outside St Jean.Weather was dry,cold but sun was shining. At Orisson stopped for coffee where we met other pilgrims. Great atmosphere and friendliness among everyone. A few rain showers after Orisson and just when we were approx 2hrs away from Roncesvalles, rain,hail,thunder,lightning arrived and lasted for about 1hr (end May 2013)..........BUT the journey in one day was no problem at all,arriving so early in Orisson, I would have been bored hanging around there for the day especially as all the other pilgrims I met were doing the mountain in one day. I am 63 yrs old and my husband is 66!

I am nervous too--I think about what might go wrong and well there is no way to know what might go wrong--and so I depend on my resourcefulness and the brain and stamina God gave me anc choose to take the journey because I know if I do not I will regret it for the rest of my life. Be polite, ask for help, admit your limitations, and I will be walking behind you by two weeks.

I am starting from Leon on 5th October. Does anyone know what the weather is likely to be like then? Will I need a sleeping bag or is a silk liner enough? Will I need waterproof trousers? Can I get a pilgrim passport in Leon and if so where? Will I need a fleece or is a thin cashmere jumper enough? Would love to know as I walked from Le Puy to Leon in May and June and it was really hot and dry then.

I am starting from Leon on 5th October. Does anyone know what the weather is likely to be like then? Will I need a sleeping bag or is a silk liner enough? Will I need waterproof trousers? Can I get a pilgrim passport in Leon and if so where? Will I need a fleece or is a thin cashmere jumper enough? Would love to know as I walked from Le Puy to Leon in May and June and it was really hot and dry then.

For specific information regarding Leon and where to get a Credential please read what other pilgrims and I wrote in this earlier Forum thread.

One never knows what the weather will be but October can be quite chilly and even cold so you should be prepared with some lightweight warm layers. Whether you carry waterproof trousers is a personal choice but you will need a good poncho, especially in Galicia. A lightweight fleece, gloves and a wooly hat would also be most useful.

Stay warm and dry and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi! I am also starting from estella and walking to Burgos starting tomorrow!! I walked from st jean to estella in may and will continue on to Burgos solo. I am so so nervous as the hours get nearer but also excited.. (A little more nervous though) perhaps we will cross paths. What date to you commence from estella

Buen Camino

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. I started from Estella on Sept 1st and was unable to reach Burgos with my schedule. I'm back home now. Although my mind is still in the Camino...

Hope you had a good walk. Take care

Buen Camino

According to the forecast, there will be rain few days prior to my start from SJPP on the 6th. I wonder if wet trail on Route de Napoleon is a problem. I have a decent hiking shoe and plan to take my walking sticks, anything else I should be cognizant of?

According to the forecast, there will be rain few days prior to my start from SJPP on the 6th. I wonder if wet trail on Route de Napoleon is a problem. I have a decent hiking shoe and plan to take my walking sticks, anything else I should be cognizant of?

Jnlee99,

Do take care on the Napoleon route especially if the way is very wet and slippery. Please read this earlier Forum thread which describes some of the possible conditions; as described by other pilgrims the descent into Roncevalles can be difficult especially on wet leaves.

Stay safe and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Well the count down has began--i will be leaving one week from today--I am still packing and re-packing my backpack--I need to get rid of more stuff!

Kia Ora fellow October pilgrims to be :)

I'll be flying into Biarritz on the 3rd and staying a night there. Planning to wake up with the sun and make my way to St. Jean. morning of the 4th to pick up pilgrim passport and hit the road. I'm a 23 year old kiwi going it alone so if you see me (red bag, red hair) please do say hello :)

Getting rather excited!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I second that Kia Kaha for Amy. And add to it a Haere Mai, welcome home to you Lise :)
And I know what you mean- I heard about every other Kiwi before or behind within cooee all the time, but only met a few of them!

Hope the re-adjusting is not too hard. Would love to hear some more sometime!
Margaret

And you know what they say about Kiwis and 1 0r 2 degrees of separation. When I did finally meet a young Kiwi couple- it turned out his parents were good friends with my sister, and he had been at same high school as my nephews. :)

And I know what you mean- I heard about every other Kiwi before or behind within cooee all the time, but only met a few of them!
Margaret

We introduced ourselves as Australian and a lovely French gentleman asked us if we knew John?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks kiwis :) I'm sure will be an amazing adventure and Lise hope you have had a glorious time!

So right NZ is a very connected place, wander who I will casually stroll into along the way :)

to all present and future peregrinos walking the camino now,

first of all, welcome to the forum.

the weather is turning cold this time of the year. please dress warm accordingly with layering. i don't know what the weather is like right now in roncesvalles or sjpdp, but in santiago the rain has been coming down and turning chilly at night. if you don't have any rain jacket or poncho, you can get different types of disposable ponchos or jackets at the china bazar cheaply. protect yourself from the harsh weather.

good luck and buen camino. god bless.

Buen Camino!
I am arriving Pamplona on the 7th and plan to start in SJPP on the 8th. I am just happy to see so many pilgrims walking in October too. I wonder if anyone know if I could buy a decent poncho in Pamplona or SJPP? All i have now is a rain proof jacket and no pant.
Buen Camino!
Simon Shum

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am arriving Pamplona on the 7th and plan to start in SJPP on the 8th. I am just happy to see so many pilgrims walking in October too. I wonder if anyone know if I could buy a decent poncho in Pamplona or SJPP? All i have now is a rain proof jacket and no pant.
Buen Camino!
Simon Shum

Simon,

Welcome to the Forum!!

In SJPdP you could try this shop >> http://directioncompostelle.com/ or in Pamplona you can try here. >> http://www.caminoteca.com/. To make certain that you find what you are looking for you might email either place. Both are run by former pilgrims and VERY user friendly.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks for the advice about getting a credencial in Leon. I'm wondering though whether to avoid walking through Leon we could go straight from the train station and pick up a credential at Virgin de la Camino or at the albergue where we will stay our first night. Would this be possible or do we need to search one out in Leon?

Thanks for the advice about getting a credencial in Leon. I'm wondering though whether to avoid walking through Leon we could go straight from the train station and pick up a credential at Virgin de la Camino or at the albergue where we will stay our first night. Would this be possible or do we need to search one out in Leon?

Check out where you might find a Credential on your suggested route by clicking through the albergues west of Leon in this Forum Camino Frances List by Ivar and looking for Cred for credential in each Refuge Facilities box.

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I wanted to let everyone know that after 34 consecutive days of walking I arrived at Santiago yesterday. It is hard to believe that I am here--it is like a dream

I wanted to let everyone know that after 34 consecutive days of walking I arrived at Santiago yesterday. It is hard to believe that I am here--it is like a dream

Congratulations James, very glad to hear you made it and arrived safely to Santiago. Tell us more when you get the chance.
Margaret

I arrived home yesterday. I woke up this morning and could not figure out what time it was, where I was sleeping (it was my own bed and not in an alburgue) who I was sleeping next to (it was my wife) or where I put my hiking boots.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It has not been quite a week yet since I made it to Santiago and every time I fall asleep I dream that I am still walking the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back