• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Northern Way by self

plisle

I am a new member and am planning on walking the Northern way in late March - April. However I am a 30 something female travelling by myself and am wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding walking the Northern Way on their own. I am not interested in the crowds of the more popular routes however am concerned about safety walking by myself in a country where I don't speak the language. Any comments welcome

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
I walked the Camino Frances on my own and always felt safe. But I would advise you to learn as much spanish as you can in the coming weeks. You could get tapes or cd's and keep listening as you do ordinary household chores. It will be well worth your while.
Buen Camino
Lydia

Welcome plisle!
Lydia is right in saying that some Spanish is very helpful. You will be walking through some beautiful countryside and coast but away from the large towns many folk have little English. Learn some of their language and they will put themselves out to be helpful! Late March into April many of the 'tourist' type places will not be open. Local cafes and bars are the places to find milky coffee (cafe con leche) and some filled rolls (bocadillos). See - you know some vital words already!
Enjoy your Camino
Blessings
Tio Tel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey! I too can only speak for the Frances, but I feel that what I discovered there during my two treks ('06 and recent over Christmas/New Year '10-'11) speaks for the Spanish people as a whole: they are lovely, friendly and helpful people! I speak conversational (+) Spanish, so this certainly helped break the ice in the smaller towns that, as pointed out prior, don't have near the English speakers as larger cities. I also agree that learning as much Spanish as possible would be the best thing - a little certainly goes a long way!
Trust in the Spanish people, trust in your fellow pilgrims &, most importantly, trust in yourself!
Buen Camino!
PS - The universal language (a warm smile) works well when words fail! :D

Hi i walked the norte without really knowing spanish. the words you should really look at are directional ones, left, right, straight on, near, far, close and similar words. Also learn how to ask where the albergue is, or where the hospitallero lives(thats if the keys are kept there) or where the signing in book(and keys) are kept, and with that learn the forms of address(politeness) this is quite important. This might sound much, but it is easier than you think. keep a written note with these words close at hand when walking, so if you forget you can either look at them or point out the words to the person you are trying to ask the question.

I got by you pick up words as you walk, either from spanish people who speak english, or other more knowledgeable pilgrims. If things seemed to be really bad, usually a german would turn up with their guide just as things were getting interesting.

Bueana Fortuna

Mike

Repost
Re: Spanish Language

Postby Arn on 02 Mar 2011, 11:04
Hi...er, Ola'

I found that there were a few key phrases to know and when you see them you can undoubtedly understand what they are saying:

Greetings:

buenos días
buenas tardes
buenas noches

Food:

Jamón y queso bocadillo, por favor
Gran ensalada
Pizza

Drink

vino tinto
vino blanco
Dos Cerveza grande
aqua
un té
Un café

Questions/directions

Dónde está el baño
Donde es el albergue
Dónde está el albergue municipal
Dónde está el camino
Dónde está la oficina de correos
Dónde está el hospital/Amblatoria
Dónde está la farmacia

Never forget...gracias...it goes a long Way

That should get you fed, a place to sleep, a pit stop and safely back on the Camino.

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Greetings fellow peregrinos,
Is there anyone walking the Del Norte and Primitivo in June/July. I start from Irun 11 June 2011 - I already feel like a man on an island - but then I remind myself how safe and 'guided' I was on the CF in 2009. I am looking forward to the quiet and being in the moment and walking the Way is surely one if the easiest places to experience that. Joy

Hola ...I am a 60 something woman walking solo in June. I've chosen this route because of the crowds on the Francais, but I'm not sure what to expect in terms of the numbers of people I will encounter on this trail. While I prefer some solitude, I don't want to be isolated and do want to feel safe. Any information would be appreciate ... Thanks, Marsha

Hi Plisse, I too will be traveling solo beginning in May, and have absolutely no concern about that at all. The Camino is a very safe trek; actually I just realized you have been on the Camino for a few days. It would be of great help for many of us to hear what your experiences have been along the way. Have you felt safe? Was it a problem to get a bed at the albergue? Are there alternate routes that are better than going on the actual Camino? What is the WiFi situation? Easly accessible? I for one, would love to see what you have experienced during these first days of your Camino. Take care and God bless you!

Ultreia!

Mary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....
please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back