• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Poles- Emperors new clothing in stick form ?

• Thread starter Former member 60103
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Former member 60103

Walking Caminos not only marked my retirement, . they were also the point I returned to the long distance hikes of my youth. Of course I have travelled inbetween times but maybe more as an independent tourist as opposed to a traveller.

Nothing much had changed in the interim apart from the fact that I soon became aware (on the Frances) of an almost constant "clicking" sound when in front or behind groups or individuals. This was of course the intrusive sound of metal tipped walking poles being slammed onto rocks, tarmac and paving slabs. I also watched as people used the poles in situations where (elderly) locals were walking completely unaided ie. across flat plazas. Bizarre.

As I watched these poles in action it soon became obvious that they were being used in numerous different ways and given that I almost always walked past the people using them by natural pace I got to asking myself "what is the point of walking poles".

I googled "how to use Walking Poles" so appreciate that there is a semblance of technique behind using the things in some circumstances but most of the people I saw seemed to have missed the point. Do the poles come with instructions ? In fact I only ever saw one person using them in any sort of way that seemed to fit what I had read - and even then, rest assured, the poles spent most of the time attached to his back-pack.

My own observational user guide:

1.The Swinger (thought this would grab your attention). Ensure that on the back swing the poles on both sides are swung out at an angle from the body approaching 45 degrees so as to ensure that when you do hit someone you get the lower leg as opposed to the more muscular upper part.

2. The Kerb Grater. Works on one side only depends on what side of the road you are walking on. Ensure that the metal tip rasps down the outside of the kerb before hitting the tarmac this ensuring the noise is maximised. This technique also requires that you be in a trance like state that prevents you from moving sideways to the degree needed to avoid hitting the kerb

3. The Pusher. First ensure that the poles are low enough (below waist height) so that you push down on them rather that pull down on them. This ensures that whatever effort you use is directed straight down. What this achieves is anyones guess.

4. The Skier (my favorite). Obvious really, use both polls in tandem as in skiing but without the snow. I have (without poles) tried to replicate this with my arms whilst trying to walk normally. I failed , it's actually quite difficult as it is not a natural walking rhythm, so hats off to anyone who has this move perfected.

5. The Slammer. Completely flat road/track/paved plaza required here. Slam the, preferably metal tipped, poles hard down to produce the loudest noise possible. Then present an appearence of complete blissful ignorance as to the noise created versus any perceived material benefit.

6. The Technician. As in "this looks dodgy, I think it's time to get the poles out". The poles were just going into use as I made the bottom of the slight hill and looked back to see what progress these technical aids had provided the user. Answer very little but he did at least look like he knew what he was doing.

7. The Pointer. Best seen in Santiago walking in front of the cathedral. Walks across plaza (still using poles) then randomly points out to companion some elevated feature seemingly oblivious to the fact that attached to the end of their hand was 4 foot + of pointy stick. The speed of this move was awesome.

7. The Golfer. Uses a number 7 golf club in place of a stick. Obviously accessed the wrong Camino user forum. Suprisingly seemed to benefit from the added weight, grip and amount of area in contact with the ground.

8. OK I made the last one up .

So I have to ask what is the point of these ergonomically handled, aircraft grade carbon fibre, collapsible, cool coloured and expensive walking sticks. I feel qualified to ask having walked nearly 4K klm with at least 8Kg pack over many gradients, surfaces and in various temperatures in the last 2 years without poles and never feeling the need for poles. The pilgrims I met without poles also shared all if not most of the same opinions as well. Someone has made a lot of money from these things. I have some very expensive glass hammers and sky hooks for sale if anyone is interested !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walking Caminos not only marked my retirement, . they were also the point I returned to the long distance hikes of my youth. Of course I have travelled inbetween times but maybe more as an independent tourist as opposed to a traveller.

Nothing much had changed in the interim apart from the fact that I soon became aware (on the Frances) of an almost constant "clicking" sound when in front or behind groups or individuals. This was of course the intrusive sound of metal tipped walking poles being slammed onto rocks, tarmac and paving slabs. I also watched as people used the poles in situations where (elderly) locals were walking completely unaided ie. across flat plazas. Bizarre.

As I watched these poles in action it soon became obvious that they were being used in numerous different ways and given that I almost always walked past the people using them by natural pace I got to asking myself "what is the point of walking poles".

I googled "how to use Walking Poles" so appreciate that there is a semblance of technique behind using the things in some circumstances but most of the people I saw seemed to have missed the point. Do the poles come with instructions ? In fact I only ever saw one person using them in any sort of way that seemed to fit what I had read - and even then, rest assured, the poles spent most of the time attached to his back-pack.

1.The Swinger (thought this would grab your attention). Ensure that on the back swing the poles on both sides are swung out at an angle from the body approaching 45 degrees so as to ensure that when you do hit someone you get the lower leg as opposed to the more muscular upper part.

2. The Kerb Grater. Works on one side only depends on what side of the road you are walking on. Ensure that the metal tip rasps down the outside of the kerb before hitting the tarmac this ensuring the noise is maximised. This technique also requires that you be in a trance like state that prevents you from moving sideways to the degree needed to avoid hitting the kerb

3. The Pusher. First ensure that the poles are low enough (below waist height) so that you push down on them rather that pull down on them. This ensures that whatever effort you use is directed straight down. What this achieves is anyones guess.

4. The Skier (my favorite). Obvious really, use both polls in tandem as in skiing but without the snow. I have (without poles) tried to replicate this with my arms whilst trying to walk normally. I failed , it's actually quite difficult as it is not a natural walking rhythm, so hats off to anyone who has this move perfected.

5. The Slammer. Completely flat road/track/paved plaza required here. Slam the, preferably metal tipped, poles hard down to produce the loudest noise possible. Then present an appearence of complete blissful ignorance as to the noise created versus any perceived material benefit.

6. The Technician. As in "this looks dodgy, I think it's time to get the poles out". The poles were just going into use as I made the bottom of the slight hill and looked back to see what progress these technical aids had provided the user. Answer very little but he did at least look like he knew what he was doing.

7. The Pointer. Best seen in Santiago walking in front of the cathedral. Walks across plaza (still using poles) then randomly points out to companion some elevated feature seemingly oblivious to the fact that attached to the end of their hand was 4 foot + of pointy stick. The speed of this move was awesome.

7. The Golfer. Uses a number 7 golf club in place of a stick. Obviously accessed the wrong Camino user forum. Suprisingly seemed to benefit from the added weight, grip and amount of area in contact with the ground.

So I have to ask what is the point of these ergonomically handled, aircraft grade carbon fibre, collapsible, cool coloured and expensive walking sticks. I feel qualified to ask having walked nearly 4K klm with at least 8Kg pack over many gradients, surfaces and in various temperatures in the last 2 years without poles and never feeling the need for poles. The pilgrims I met without poles also shared all if not most of the same opinions as well. Someone has made a lot of money from these things. I have some very expensive glass hammers and sky hooks for sale if anyone is interested !

Well, Don Camillo, you gave me a great laugh in between checking the veg and the lamb for dinner! Thank you. Just wait though, till you get a gammy knee or discover shock horror that you are obese and NEED poles!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
hello Don Camillo (is there also a Peppone? pardon, had to ask)
... you are asking for 'the point' of a walking stick?
it is usually located at the lower/narrower (if that's a word) end of the hiking poles/walking stick.
;)

In general terms, the poles are cheaper and less painful than new knees. Plus when I'm feeling spicy I can do my imitation of Don Quixote when I see the occasional unruly windmill...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nordic walking with correct poles rules O. K. in my book.
Use the poles with rubber paws/ tips on hard surfaces.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A very funny, creative, and cleverly written post. I do wonder however, if you ever stopped to "smell the roses" along the way, as you seem to have been very preoccupied with those who do use poles. I've walked 3 Caminos and only on occasion did I ever notice the clicking poles of other walkers.:rolleyes:

I carry two poles, but mostly just use one on the particularly steep ascents or descents to help stabelize my position. I keep the other pole collapsed on the outside of my pack. It lays in "wait" to offer up to my adult son while walking in thick mud, or the time he had shin splints and could barely walk for several days. You see, he is a rather "macho" guy and always insists he never needs poles on the Camino (although he uses them on wilderness backpacking trips)....With a satisfied little smile I then offer him the extra pole I bring in those situations cuz "mama knows best". I let him think I bring both poles for myself, but no, it's always to eventually offer it as a little safety net for my stubborn "child".:D

Like you, I also noticed the elderly locals usually carry a pole or cane, especially in the villages. Although often the town squares are smooth, the back streets can be hilly with uneven cobbled surfaces, often where they live. I'm sure their support pole or cane has spared them many a tumble, better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
As one of the walking wounded I would not make it without my poles. I use them every step of the way.

Used properly poles reduce weight on the lower joints and back, and reduce energy required. They are beneficial uphill, downhill and on the flat. Requiring a slightly different technique for each.

Do most people know how to use them? No. For 85% they seem to be almost a fashion accessory and in the way they are being used, of no benefit at all. And Yes, the click click can be annoying on city streets and is not necessary. It takes 10 secs, without even breaking stride, to pop on the rubber 'feet' over the metal tips.

As other have said........wait till you need them ;)

Last edited:
So I started without any poles. Then i walked a bit with people that had poles and knew how to use them. I tried it out but was too cheap to go buy a pair (they were really expensive for some reason - the only thing I saw that cost more money in Spain). Finally bought a single, wood staff on the spur of the moment, and used it for 100 to 150 km before finally forgetting it at a bank machine (if it isn't tied to my body, it will get left behind).

I did hate the tick tack sound, and would do my best to not make noise (walking near a grassy verge, carrying the staff, aiming for the weeds... jabbing myself in the foot.)

If I were to do it again, I would at least start with a pair of poles that folded up small, and a backpack that let me tie them on quickly. I cannot guarantee they'd finish with me as I will need to put them down sometimes. My reasons why:

Sausage fingers: holding onto a pole forced me to move my arms and hands higher and reduced swelling.

Walking efficiency: I am one of the slowest pilgrims on the Camino. Fine by me, but a little encouragement to walk a touch faster is always welcome. Faking walking with poles (imagining them in my hands) with the correct use (pole strikes the ground in line with the heel of the opposite foot) increased my natural rhythm. Without the poles, I'd forget and start slowing down again.

Transferring load to the arms, increasing climbing efficiency. I did the Camino del Norte. Legs got tired going up and down and up and down and up and down. Putting a little "push" into the climb helped - and two poles worked far better for this than a single staff.

Baton practice. Lots and lots of time alone meant I could practice twirling, throwing, spinning and dancing while no one was watching. Yup. Dancing. Pole dancing? Hmmmm, have to think about that.

Ankle stress. Going downhill, I'd place the staff down right beside my weak ankle. I could move faster, feel more stable, and was less sore at the end of the day.

AND my number one reason to have a staff or poles...

MUD!!!!!

I didn't fall into the ginormous puddles and swamps. I didn't need my staff for the last 150km, but I was certainly very very glad to have it when I did. Wish I had it two days before.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
MY
So I started without any poles. Then i walked a bit with people that had poles and knew how to use them. I tried it out but was too cheap to go buy a pair (they were really expensive for some reason - the only thing I saw that cost more money in Spain). Finally bought a single, wood staff on the spur of the moment, and used it for 100 to 150 km before finally forgetting it at a bank machine (if it isn't tied to my body, it will get left behind).

I did hate the tick tack sound, and would do my best to not make noise (walking near a grassy verge, carrying the staff, aiming for the weeds... jabbing myself in the foot.)

If I were to do it again, I would at least start with a pair of poles that folded up small, and a backpack that let me tie them on quickly. I cannot guarantee they'd finish with me as I will need to put them down sometimes. My reasons why:

Sausage fingers: holding onto a pole forced me to move my arms and hands higher and reduced swelling.

Walking efficiency: I am one of the slowest pilgrims on the Camino. Fine by me, but a little encouragement to walk a touch faster is always welcome. Faking walking with poles (imagining them in my hands) with the correct use (pole strikes the ground in line with the heel of the opposite foot) increased my natural rhythm. Without the poles, I'd forget and start slowing down again.

Transferring load to the arms, increasing climbing efficiency. I did the Camino del Norte. Legs got tired going up and down and up and down and up and down. Putting a little "push" into the climb helped - and two poles worked far better for this than a single staff.

Baton practice. Lots and lots of time alone meant I could practice twirling, throwing, spinning and dancing while no one was watching. Yup. Dancing. Pole dancing? Hmmmm, have to think about that.

Ankle stress. Going downhill, I'd place the staff down right beside my weak ankle. I could move faster, feel more stable, and was less sore at the end of the day.

MUD!!!!!

I didn't fall into the ginormous puddles and swamps. I didn't need my staff for the last 150km, but I was certainly very very glad to have it when I did. Wish I had it two days before.
Love this! Your reasons for using poles are very much like mine and yes, MUD tops them all! :)

9. The absent-minded. Usually seen walking briskly back towards the last coffee stop hoping that their forgotten poles will still be there. Or if lucky, seen resting beneath a shady tree beside the camino while their walking partner walks briskly back to collect poles on their behalf.

10. The drum major. This one is easy to spot as they can regularly be seen picking their walking pole up from the ground.

11. The fence-sitter. Me!

I walk slowly, very slowly. My camino is more like a stroll than a walk so I much prefer to walk without poles. And I too avoid the ticker tackers especially when they are coming up behind me. It’s mostly because they walk faster than I do and their rhythmic tapping throws out my far more sensible pace. ;) A bit like walking with a marching band, its almost impossible to walk at anything but their rhythm. I just stop, say buen camino and let them get well ahead. Besides that they scare off wildlife that might be around.

That said, I also carry a set of poles in my backpack to use going up and down hills, in bad weather, definitely in mud, and occasionally at the end of the day when my bed seems a long way away. ;):p:p:p

A suggestion us to try them and see how you feel with them. So far I have only used them in going down hill. The rest of the time they are just extra weight in my pack. A friend of mine uses them as poles for his tent when he hikes in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife bought me a trekking pole about 10 years ago and on its first outing it saved me from going base over apex several times. (The topsoil in my local area is clay, which is like grease when wet.) I have never been without it since on a walk of any distance, especially since my left knee is not what it was (it used to be a fully functioning left knee.)
I do agree, however, about the annoying "clicking" on hard surfaces . Put a rubber cap on it! Apart from being less antisocial, it gives a much better grip.

9. The absent-minded. Usually seen walking briskly back towards the last coffee stop hoping that their forgotten poles will still be there. Or if lucky, seen resting beneath a shady tree beside the camino while their walking partner walks briskly back to collect poles on their behalf.

10. The drum major. This one is easy to spot as they can regularly be seen picking their walking pole up from the ground.

11. The fence-sitter. Me!

I walk slowly, very slowly. My camino is more like a stroll than a walk so I much prefer to walk without poles. And I too avoid the ticker tackers especially when they are coming up behind me. It’s mostly because they walk faster than I do and their rhythmic tapping throws out my far more sensible pace. ;) A bit like walking with a marching band, its almost impossible to walk at anything but their rhythm. I just stop, say buen camino and let them get well ahead. Besides that they scare off wildlife that might be around.

That said, I also carry a set of poles in my backpack to use going up and down hills, in bad weather, definitely in mud, and occasionally at the end of the day when my bed seems a long way away. ;):p:p:p
Heda, this thread is becoming very humourous and your comments are adding to its charm! Thanks for tickling my funny bone. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So I have to ask what is the point of these ergonomically handled, aircraft grade carbon fibre, collapsible, cool coloured and expensive walking sticks.

I started without the poles. And I had walked a fair amount in Europe with a much heavier backpack without poles when I was much younger. My son suggested I buy the poles in Roncesvalles and I resisted. He suggested again that I buy them in Zubiri and still I resisted. By the time I came down from the Alto de Perdon I was having severe knee issues. I got knee braces, adn they helped, but I was still finding it really hard going with my knees. At first I tried a single staff. Then I switched to the two walking poles and it made all the difference in my Camino. Yes, it was nice to use them on the straights and uphills to allow me to use my arms as well as my legs to help propel myself forwards. By the end of the day sometimes they were almost acting as crutches when we were really tired. But the real difference they made was on my knees, allowing me to walk to Santiago. I wouldn't walk another Camino without them and I'm convinced that if I had started with them, I wouldn't have had to wear a knee brace practically my whole Camino. I'd recommend them to anyone who is going.

I'm happy for you that you had a successful Camino without them. Frankly, that's what I expected for myself. But having used them, I consider them invaluable.

Well I have 2 reasons for taking them, one is to keep dogs at a comfortable distance since I tend to walk routes which have more unchained dogs than pilgrims and the other you have guessed it with no 5) the slammer, it has a similar effect on the more busy pilgrim routes but dogs aren't the ones I am deterring from coming closer.

Either you get or understand the beauty of poles or you don't. Use mine 100% of the time. Being an avid cross country skier in the winter, poles feel 100% natural and allow a much more rapid sustainable pace when used correctly as well as far less wear and tear on knee's etc. It is of course completely possible to do a Camino without poles as would walking barefoot be possible as well, neither of which I plan to do any time soon.

I will agree with the original poster than many are clueless as to how best utilize their poles. Also puzzling are those with poles that never leave their back pack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nothing much had changed in the interim apart from the fact that I soon became aware (on the Frances) of an almost constant "clicking" sound when in front or behind groups or individuals. This was of course the intrusive sound of metal tipped walking poles being slammed onto rocks, tarmac and paving slabs.

I quite agree about the click-clacking of bare metal tips, although my experience in September was that most trekking pole users were using rubber-type covers over the tips, as I did. I am very sensitive to any actions that I do which would disturb the tranquility of others. As to the question of 'why' I use trekking poles, it is because they help a bit with energy and pacing -- especially uphills; they help me when I have the not-often occuring I-am-about-to-tip-over moment of balance ineptness; they serve as tent poles for my ultra-light tent when wilderness backpacking; they help keep unfriendly dogs at a bit of distance; they act as an extension of my arm for scooping an object of interest toward me; they keep me balanced when crossing creeks and rivers when backpacking; they act as a brace so that I can prop my backpack against the angled poles and have a backrest while sitting; they are able to -- with the bare tips -- be used to stab paper and cans littering my path for future disposal; they have -- on more than one occasion -- reached a desperately unreachable and unbearable middle-of-the-back itch.

My trekking poles are not a single purpose item, but a multi-use and multi-tasker tool. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got to asking myself "what is the point of walking poles"... I feel qualified to ask having walked nearly 4K klm with at least 8Kg pack over many gradients, surfaces and in various temperatures in the last 2 years without poles and never feeling the need for poles.
Sure you are qualified to ask the question. However, not using poles doesn't qualify you to answer the question as to why other people do. :cool:

The pilgrims I met without poles also shared all if not most of the same opinions as well.
Well, of course! If they had the opposite opinion, they would be using poles! :p

Your "types" were entertaining and I agree that pole use is sometimes funny or useless. You can ask similar questions and give funny answers to many practices... how about why some people insist on bringing sleeping bags, ponchos, gaiters, umbrellas, etc, when others among us think they are totally unnecessary. Or a timely question would be "why do people wear shoes into the showers?" Even why do I wear eyeglasses (or sunglasses) every day, and carry a spare pair, when my husband never feels the need? o_O People do many ridiculous things with their glasses or sunglasses - lose them on their heads, stare through foggy lenses, sit on them, buy cute frames, etc.

The answer is usually because we find them to benefit us and make us more comfortable. Sure there is a commercial element in the promotion, but that's no different from any other product.

MUD!!!!!

Baton practice.... what an image! Hope you had a majorette outfit to match!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm perfectly happy walking without poles though I do make sure to wear Vibram soles that grip well when needed - and find that my hands work perfectly well to provide balance and grip on the small number of steep sections on the Camino

It does seem somewhat strange that people with knee problems decide on walking long distances - and that nearly all people in the world seem to manage to walk in cities without needing to use such walking poles

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It does seem somewhat strange that people with knee problems decide on walking long distances - and that nearly all people in the world seem to manage to walk in cities without needing to use such walking poles
Is that to suggest those of us with poor knees should just pack it in and stay home whilst the young and genetically (knee'ly speaking of course!) gifted go gallavanting across Spain without us??? Surely you jest!?! :rolleyes: And wondering why those city folk are that use wheelchairs, crutches, canes, walkers and scooters have been hiding in the cities you've been too because I see them all over the place in the cities I've been ;)

Mono-visioned so no depth perception. Shortsighted in the one good eye. Bung knees. Poor balance.

Witness the number of times I face-plant when walking in cities (without poles). Usually off kerbs or where there are slight differences in seemingly flat surfaces. So yes, I'd be using my poles even walking across the flat plaza.

I could not walk a camino without my trekking sticks.

I do agree about the click-clack. Hate it. But I seem unable to stop it - even with thick rubber ferrules. I think it must be the joints in the sticks.

We won't walk a Camino without poles! Three Caminos, three sets of poles. Bought a pair in Pamplona and brought them home. Shipped a pair to ourselves for our 2nd Frances, but they didn't arrive so we bought some. Baggage handlers on strike in Madrid meant we had to bin them at the Santiago airport. We left our last pair at a hotel frequented by Pilgrims in Porto to be given to any Pilgrim heading to Santiago.

They take weight off our legs, provide a nice rhythm to our walk and make for a great third or fourth leg for balance. We use them every day for every mile except through towns, especially in the early morning. Many others above mention many more uses that we also agree are benefits to having walking sticks.

They have so many benefits, yet so many people are so opposed that this subject comes up on a regular basis here. I often wonder why all the consternation about walking poles?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

It is possible that walking 800+ kilometers may make demands on knees that an average day's walk in the city does not. I never had knee problems before I started my Camino and certainly didn't have them when I decided to go. I haven't had them in my day to day walking in the city (without poles) since I returned. I did have them on the Camino.

Knowing that. I plan to do more Caminos. With the poles, the issue is quite manageable and I found the rewards great. Others may choose differently. We are all different or, as we tend to say here, "We all walk our own Camino."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have been walking with an ancient pair of Black Diamond since 2012, I would not trade then for anything. I use them for stability especially on descents, they distribute the load of my pack and give me an easy confidence as I as move westward one meter and one pole at a time.

It is possible that walking 800+ kilometers may make demands on knees that an average day's walk in the city does not. I never had knee problems before I started my Camino and certainly didn't have them when I decided to go. I haven't had them in my day to day walking in the city (without poles) since I returned. I did have them on the Camino.

Knowing that. I plan to do more Caminos. With the poles, the issue is quite manageable and I found the rewards great. Others may choose differently. We are all different or, as we tend to say here, "We all walk our own Camino."
And don't forget that most folk on the Camino are carrying backpacks, so that is extra weight on the knees. Therefore it makes more sense to use poles to ease the weight on the knees. And then there's the extra stability that the poles provide at the end of a long, tiring day.

To tell the truth, I don't know why we're defending our use of poles. It seems the pole-users know something the non-pole-users don't know. ;)

The first time I walked the camino (2001) one of my bigger concerns was whether my knees could cope. Badly tore cartilages in both knees skiing when younger, and I had difficulty going down steep slopes. So I used trekking sticks, even then. Some 16 years later I am still walking - with my sticks.

€149,-

Tones the arm!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is possible that walking 800+ kilometers may make demands on knees that an average day's walk in the city does not.

And I don't wear a backpack while running errands around town.

Tones the arm!

Yes! Why make my legs do all the work over 500+ miles?! I can't imagine what my arms would look like if I just let them hang there, slacking off.

I have also run into this type of pole user:
The scratcher - scratches their rear while holding their poles, which extend perpendicular from their rear and hit anyone walking behind them.

trekking-pole.jpg

12. Lighter Than Air Walker. (photo courtesy of getty images.com)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@pilgrim gurl try dragging the poles loosely behind you, swinging your arms naturally - left right left right - in time with opposite leg. Gradually increase your grip on the handles. It takes a while to get it so that you feel comfortable - but that is a technique that has worked for a few people who could not figure it out before.

€149,-
At home I carry a wooden pole when walking which I find useful for reaching out to open inaccesible gates, clearing brambles, stinging nettles etc from overgrown rights of way. It also helped in keeping a pit bull terrier at a distance when I had inadvertantly wandered into its territory and a 50 strong herd of young fresian cows who took an interest in me me as I crossed a field. But I rarely use it as an aid to walking. After reading this forum before my camino I decided to take poles with me but mostly they remained attached to my back pack but I knew they were there if ever I needed
them. I am fortunate to be blessed with good knees and much prefer walking without poles but I know how beneficial they can be for many walkers - even if they are not being used totally correctly they give the walker confidence.

I think the OP was being light-hearted @cher99840. We all need a laugh sometimes.

I enjoyed reading your observational guide Don Camillo and thought what a great "Monty Python" sketch it would have made, similar to one of my favourites "The Ministry of Silly Walks"

Bought initially a pair of Leki Vario Ti for my first Caminio as I have a Scheuerman and troublesome Sacro iliac joints, now I never take off without them. Proven stretch without support is 14 km, after that - trouble.
I am aware of the clikety-clack through city and small towns and I change to rubber tips on the fly without fail. I would go crazy if I were a village dweller...keep the rubber tips in back pocket !

But must admit that I do meet people who just barely touch the ground absentmindedly with the tips of their poles and do not seem to use them in any way of support and pace them out of sync with their steps, and I am wondering why they brought them in the first place !??

My impersonation of a four-legged animal going down a mired descent, however, I think I do the best of all the pilgrims that I have met. Without the poles I would´ve landed flat on my face many a time !!

Last edited:

€60,-
I much enjoyed the original Don Camillo post and everybody's comments! Thank you, DavidJ1215, for the Monty Python sketch!

My son "made" buy two poles more than 25 years ago - nobody was using them at the time - and we, he and my daughter walked with me, were asked by people whether we were training for some sports event. 15 years later I walked all the way from Brittany along the coast to Santiago - a lot on roads overtaking cars in traffic jams and people kept making fun at me for using skiing poles where there was no snow. I do not have bad knees, but I would not be without them when carrying a heavy pack. They propel me forward, pull me up when going uphill, help me keep my balance going downhill or wading through mud or water which I cannot fathom by giving me another pair of "legs".

I now have a pair of Leki poles which fold down even smaller (about 30 cm), so they fit inside any rucksack ....

I never used walking poles but in Astorga one of my Camino Friends (a German woman using poles) warned me, that there were some steep descents ahead where some extra support would be of great benefit. So I went and got myself a plain, wooden stick with a steel point at 4 Euro. And I came to love that stick! Not only on the ups & downs, even on level ground I thought it gave some energy and rhythm to my walking.

It was with a bleeding heart that I left it in my hotel room in Santiago, but I thought it would be too expensive and cumbersome to bring it home.

One of the first things I did after returning home was to get myself a new, “high class” walking stick that even came with stealth-technology in the form of a rubber-cap to use on hard surfaces. Such are not easy to come by in my country, but where there is a will…

So now I really look like a hobo walking the streets of Copenhagen :D

DSCN2175.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
...given that I almost always walked past the people using them by natural pace I got to asking myself "what is the point of walking poles".

It could be that these people were not using poles to make themselves walk faster. I certainly don't.

Perhaps asking them why they used poles during the weeks while on the Camino would have provided more helpful explanations and illustrations than one can receive on a forum where we're limited to words.

I had a similar experience. Back when I was an impoverished student, I saw a musician at a rock concert. Later at home, wondering if I should spend my limited money on one of those expensive instruments, I tried playing an air guitar. I failed to get the rhythm of it, and to this day have never bought one.

Trekking poles, on the other hand, I have found very handy indeed. I was convinced that I wouldn't last longer than two weeks with my lower back loaded down with a backpack. I had intended to test if poles would help my back on several long hikes before starting my Camino, but various injuries prevented me from doing so before my departure date. Happily, by the end of the Camino I had had no problems with my lower back. Pushing down on the poles stretched my back rather than compressing it.

I have found that in general a "natural walking rhythm" works best for me too. But many times I'm unable to achieve one. Putting on a backpack is one thing that throws off my pace. Ankle and knee pains also. That's when I use poles for support.

There are many ways to use poles. I place extra weight on the videos by Scandinavians - they ought to know how to use them.

I only use 3 patterns when walking with poles: cycles of 1, 2, and 3.

The 1 cycle is the one you usually see: left leg forward and right pole forward, alternating with the other side.

The 2 cycle is similar to the way a skier uses poles. On mornings when my left knee was very painful, I would vigorously plant both poles when my left leg swung forward; no pole action when I stepped forward with my right. This took significant weight off of my left knee and allowed it to wake up in its own time. I then reverted to the 1 cycle.

The 3 cycle I use occasionally for a little boost of speed.

Last edited:
I have another reason that is less an issue for the Camino, and more for hiking near home: bears aware. I will carry a stick or walking staff of some sort to thwack rocks while hiking alone. The tick tack of the tip writ loud is more effective at notifying large, scary wildlife that "a human is approaching and please leave the area" than the bear bell (also known as a dinner bell).

My dirty little secret is that I bought a pair of cheap matching poles before I left - something a little more formal than picking up a stick on the side of the path. I couldn't get the hang of them and felt like I was tangling myself up (this being highly likely considering my normal lack of coordination).

I have seen a sea change in walking poles on the Camino. On my first camino in 2000, I used one, and I saw a total of two pilgrims between Roncesvalles and Santiago using two poles. Boy did they get a lot of ribbing. Fast forward to the present, and the two-poles-pilgrims are everywhere (as are the pilgrims generally).

I am sure there are lots of us who don't use them correctly, or for maximum benefit to our joints, but even for those people, I think they provide a lot of benefit. I think it was Nuala who told me that she uses poles to prevent a slip from becoming a fall. That's a good enough reason for me!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh dear - I am in the 'using poles is foolish' camp. They are great, sometimes indispensable, for safety and stability on truly rough, mud-soft, or steep ground .. so much better to be a triped than a biped - but apart from that they are a complete waste of time - and annoying to those who hear the incessant clicking.

The main support I have heard for them is that they remove weight from the legs and feet - really? Ok, stand on your bathroom scales and see how very very very hard you have to push down to alter the reading on the scale - they just don't work. If they did then hospitals wouldn't hand out crutches, they would hand out poles.

So there my opinion! ... though, they are very good for pointing at things :)

Oh dear - I am in the 'using poles is foolish' camp. They are great, sometimes indispensable, for safety and stability on truly rough, mud-soft, or steep ground .. so much better to be a triped than a biped - but apart from that they are a complete waste of time - and annoying to those who hear the incessant clicking.

The main support I have heard for them is that they remove weight from the legs and feet - really? Ok, stand on your bathroom scales and see how very very very hard you have to push down to alter the reading on the scale - they just don't work. If they did then hospitals wouldn't hand out crutches, they would hand out poles.

I would have agreed about the weight until I started using a staff for going downhill. It certainly does not significantly reduce the weight (maybe a half a kilo?? if I am generous), but it was a substantial difference for me in stability and stress in the ankle. I suspect it isn't just about reducing weight but some other biomechanic changes that happen. I wish I'd had two poles because I noticed some asymmetric stress happening which would have been a problem for really long descents.

Watching a particular pilgrim at one moment of time may not give a clear view of the benefit that pilgrim derives over the course of a Camino. There were a few items I packed knowing there was a good chance I'd need them in certain types of weather that didn't happen to materialize this Fall. The challenge with poles is that there aren't too many alternate uses on the Camino and they can be a hassle to strap and unstrap to a backpack. So if you only really need them for 2% of the distance, get some benefit from them for 38% of the distance, and end up carrying them for 60% of the time, is it worth it? That ends up being a personal decision. That 2% could be pretty critical.

Final recommendation I learned to embrace: Someone else using gear I didn't understand? I asked them "How does a walking stick (or floppy hat, or camp stove, or 10 feet of cord) help you?". Its a nice, non-judgemental phrasing to learn something new and start a friendly conversation. And if the conversation goes well, maybe you can even ask to try it out. Who knows - you may be a convert.

David, what you offered as the basis for your opinion intrigued me, so yes, I got my poles and took them to my scale. You are correct that the weight didnt change significantly, but then I modified the experiment a bit and stood on one leg. The weight did not change; I weigh as much whether I stand on one leg or two, but I have to believe that the distribution of that weight between two legs is kinder to those appendages than loading up a single limb. When I walk naturally, and without poles, all of my weight rests briefly on a single alternate leg. When I use poles I believe that I am somewhat distributing that weight between two points of contact. Just my opinion of course. I respect your differing one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...of an almost constant "clicking" sound ...

Yes, everyone who uses poles should think of rubbers.

...and never feeling the need for poles...

I wish you, that you can go many future caminos without poles.

And if the day will come, when you need poles on a camino... I wish you that you can smile and think of the "good, old times" when you did not need your poles.

Yes, everyone who uses poles should think of rubbers.

I think I wore through at least four pairs of rubber feet for my poles on my Camino. Not completely through, just enough for the steel point to poke through the centre of the foot. Just enough to make the terrible sound and slip on some of the stone surfaces in villages. I would always replace them when I got to the next town with a sporting goods store, but that often left several villages (or days) in between of "clicking" sounds.

So if you hear the noise, it may not be that the person is eschewing rubber feet for their poles. It is just that the Camino is really hard on them - at least in my experience.

Last edited:

Got my two bad (well - now repaired) knees long after I found I enjoyed hiking, Camino or otherwise. Between sore legs and blisters I found it necessary to take one pole with me when playing tourist in Madrid on the way home. It was a decided aid in descending stairs where there were no railings - and this without a pack!

As for the rubber tips I kept mine on the entire recent (one section - Logrono to Burgos) trip. The terrain never seemed to warrant using the metal tips though lots of people seem to think otherwise.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think I wore through at least four pairs of rubber feet for my poles on my Camino. Not completely through, just enough for the steel point to poke through the centre of the foot. Just enough to make the terrible sound and slip on some of the stone surfaces in villages. I would always replace them when I got to the next town with a sporting goods store, but that often left several villages (or days) in between of "clicking" sounds.

So if you here the noise, it may not be that the person is eschewing rubber feet for their poles. It is just that the Camino is really hard on them - at least in my experience.

I didn't expect to need the metal tips - at least not much, so I pulled them out and it doubles or even triples the life of the rubber tips because there's no carbide tip to poke through. I then carried the tips in my pack, just in case, but never needed them.

I didn't expect to need the metal tips - at least not much, so I pulled them out and it doubles or even triples the life of the rubber tips because there's no carbide tip to poke through. I then carried the tips in my pack, just in case, but never needed them.
I will have to see if I can do that with mine!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

So if you hear the noise, it may not be that the person is eschewing rubber feet for their poles. It is just that the Camino is really hard on them - at least in my experience.
They sell many types of trekking pole tips on Amazon. My personal favorites are "boot" type hard rubber tips with treads. They never wear through on a full Camino, only the treads wear down somewhat (like on a car). The cheapie generic rubber tips that came with the pair I bought in SJPdP lasted less than a week.

A bit off topic but I also use the "boot" type ferrules, made out of very hard wearing rubber, and they also have lasted - they are now up to the third camino.

What intrigues me is that no matter whether I am going uphill, or downhill, or on the flat, the boot always turns itself the right way round. How does that happen?

It really is not about reducing weight, it is about reducing the force of impact shock and its distribution; there are a number of studies demonstrating this. Crutches do much the same in helping to reduce force impact on injured bones or joints. :)

€60,-
I know that everyone has their own opinion (and there is a serious love-hate relationship going on) regarding walking poles, so I am going to toss mine in the ring so you can all toss it around. LOL. Yes I am attempting some light-heartedness here...

When training for our first Camino, I was suffering from some serious tennis elbow related to my new bookkeeping position that required a lot of data entry. I swore and swore that I would NOT use walking poles as this 6-week "vacation" would let my elbow heal. My husband was finally able to track down a pair in Pamplona and bought a set there, but I still refused. It was bad enough that I was hauling a pack, there was no way that I would consider adding more weight to my load.

Our first Camino family consisted of a group of 8 from California that sent their poles ahead. Without success. They all decided to re-purchase poles in SJPP as they all considered poles a necessity. Due to the tenaciousness of the Correos, the original packet of poles followed the group to Pamplona where we were all sharing a room.

As they all now had 2 sets of poles, it was determined that I would not be allowed to continue without assuming ownership of one of those sets for myself. I still resisted. Come on, they said,.. so I caved... (Peer pressure to the max) After all, they were free and we were heading up to the Alto de Perdon tomorrow...What could it hurt?

Long story short-ish, I am now firmly in the camp that will NOT walk without the poles. Not only did they provide stability going up and down those hills, they also provided another purpose - especially on those long flat drags. They made me swing my arms which created a rhythm. They also made my shoulders and back straighten up, which in turn made me open up my chest. My back ached less as my pack seemed lighter, and if I concentrated on not slamming my rubber-tipped poles into the ground, then I found I placed my feet much lighter as well.

My bottom line. If you carry poles, then you understand. If you don't, then you won't. Quit letting the issue rent space in your head and remember that the Camino is about accepting inconceivable ideas. I know I sure did...

Buen Camino!!!

Last edited:
After four long walks and one tumble, not using poles, I swear by them. They are great, especially on slick, wet downhills and crossing streams on rocks. They are great for balance and for confidence. Even on staight-aways on long stretches of asphalt, they are a godsend, and a great knee-saver - I only wish I had used them for my other four long walks. Live and learn.

The main support I have heard for them is that they remove weight from the legs and feet - really? Ok, stand on your bathroom scales and see how very very very hard you have to push down to alter the reading on the scale - they just don't work.

Yes David. You have to push down hard on them! That's precisely where most people go wrong. Newton's 3rd law of motion and all that ;) I have tried to test it, with scales and would estimate I'm putting 10-15 kg downward pressure on them going up hills, and 5-10 kg on the flat. On the flat they push me forward and keep me more upright.

Coming down hills they are merely acting as brakes and I'm leaning hard on them to take the weight off my shins. I find that my shins really suffer going downhill. They take about 20-30 kg pressure going downhill. I wore out a pair on my first Camino.......

I demonstrated to my wife the pressure required, by putting my hand on top of hers in the pole loop. She was quite shocked. But then found it worked..........

If the user is not 'serious' about using them in terms of the downward pressure required, I'd say they are pointless. No benefit whatsoever. Maybe balance....

You surprise me David. You're normally so wise on all things Camino :D

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perhaps with age and experience comes wisdom! :) I cannot tell if you are seeking information, or just disguising your personal preference with a bit of humor. Since I am in my seventies, I can recommend to those in their fifties that they seriously consider learning how to use trekking poles properly, and then using them. They reduce joint stress and prevent falls. I started using them in my fifties, and I really do not think I would be able to continue long distance walking now if I had not used them for over twenty years. I have walked after a knee "scope," a torn Achilles tendon, a twisted other knee, a torn calf muscle, arthritis in both feet, the flattest feet that my foot/ankle doctor has ever seen, and Parkinson's Disease. My thirties son skipped from rock to rock on the Camino rocky descents, and was none the worse for wear. His four-year-old son walked (mostly) from Sarria to Santiago, and wanted to use poles just for the fun of it (we talked him out of it). He did just fine without toys in his hands. What I do not understand about all the threads on trekking poles is why anyone would try to talk someone out of using them! There has never been a thread recommending that pilgrims stop wearing shorts because the someone does not like to wear shorts. :) It is probably because it is a personal choice and no one else's business.

I was amused by Joost's pole waving in "The Way." He was missing out on some of the benefits of trekking poles, but he had them in hand for when a root might cause him a face plant. I cleaned the grit out of a hiking companion's cheek when he did just that after commenting negatively on my poles. Karma maybe.

I'll take one of those glass hammers; they work fine on Jello. There is still a need for a sky hook, though, since NASA has had a setback on carbon nanotubes reaching to the space station:

"Alright, space elevator plans are back to square one, people. Carbon nanotubes probably aren't going to be our material solution for a space elevator, because apparently even a minuscule (read: atomic) flaw in the design drastically decreases strength."

The main support I have heard for them is that they remove weight from the legs and feet - really?
The following is from one of dozens of websites analyzing trekking poles. Its only reference to removing weight is when you stop, you can lean on them to reduce the weight on your feet. Perhaps we hear different things!

Trekking poles are an essential tool for hiking and mountaineering. Here we give ten reasons to use trekking poles and discusses how to overcome their limitations.
  1. Trekking poles, like ski poles, allow your arms to help propel you forward and upward. Whether walking on flat ground or up steep hills, poles can help to increase your average speed.
  1. Poles reduce the impact on your legs, knees, ankles, and feet. This is especially true when going downhill. A 1999 study in The Journal of Sports Medicine found that trekking poles can reduce compressive force on the knees by up to 25 percent.
  1. Trekking poles can be used to deflect backcountry nuisances. They can push away thorny blackberries and swipe away spider webs that cross trails-- which can help to make you more comfortable.
  1. Walking with poles can help you establish and maintain a consistent rhythm, which can increase your speed. This is especially true on flatter, non-technical terrain.
  1. The extra two points of contact significantly increase your traction on slippery surfaces like mud, snow, and loose rock.
  1. Poles help you maintain balance in difficult terrain such as during river crossings, on tree root-strewn trails, and on slippery bog bridges. Staying balanced in turn helps you move more quickly and more easily.
  1. Poles can act as a probe to give you more information than you can get with you eyes. Use them to learn more about puddles, melting snow bridges, and quicksand.
  1. They can help to defend against attacks from dogs, bears and other wildlife. Swing them overhead to make yourself look bigger or throw them like a spear.
  1. Trekking poles help to alleviate some of the weight you carry. For example, if you have a heavy pack on, and you take a short break, leaning on the poles will make you more comfortable.
  1. Trekking poles can be used for things other than trekking. They save the weight of bringing dedicated tent poles; pitching a shelter with trekking poles can save up to two pounds. (Trekking poles are also much stronger and more rigid than tent poles, so they're less likely to break in high winds. This help creates safer shelters.) Poles can also double as a medical splint and can serve as ultralight packrafting paddles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Since you asked. Used properly, trekking poles greatly reduce the wear and tear on the legs, especially the knees. As you’ve observed, though, most people I saw using poles on the Camino used them improperly, more like outriggers.

Proper pole etiquette says that when you are on pavement or stone, you should put the protective covers on the tips. This is especially important when walking through a quiet village before sunrise or during siesta.

For me, use of trekking poles has become a natural part of my walking rhythm. By the way, use of trekking poles has nothing really to do with speed. We all have a natural pace. I’d walk just as fast with or without trekking poles. It’s just that I walk much more comfortably with them than without.

In other words, trekking poles are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

The following is from one of dozens of websites analyzing trekking poles. Its only reference to removing weight is when you stop, you can lean on them to reduce the weight on your feet. Perhaps we hear different things!

Trekking poles are an essential tool for hiking and mountaineering. Here we give ten reasons to use trekking poles and discusses how to overcome their limitations.
  1. Trekking poles, like ski poles, allow your arms to help propel you forward and upward. Whether walking on flat ground or up steep hills, poles can help to increase your average speed.
  1. Poles reduce the impact on your legs, knees, ankles, and feet. This is especially true when going downhill. A 1999 study in The Journal of Sports Medicine found that trekking poles can reduce compressive force on the knees by up to 25 percent.
  1. Trekking poles can be used to deflect backcountry nuisances. They can push away thorny blackberries and swipe away spider webs that cross trails-- which can help to make you more comfortable.
  1. Walking with poles can help you establish and maintain a consistent rhythm, which can increase your speed. This is especially true on flatter, non-technical terrain.
  1. The extra two points of contact significantly increase your traction on slippery surfaces like mud, snow, and loose rock.
  1. Poles help you maintain balance in difficult terrain such as during river crossings, on tree root-strewn trails, and on slippery bog bridges. Staying balanced in turn helps you move more quickly and more easily.
  1. Poles can act as a probe to give you more information than you can get with you eyes. Use them to learn more about puddles, melting snow bridges, and quicksand.
  1. They can help to defend against attacks from dogs, bears and other wildlife. Swing them overhead to make yourself look bigger or throw them like a spear.
  1. Trekking poles help to alleviate some of the weight you carry. For example, if you have a heavy pack on, and you take a short break, leaning on the poles will make you more comfortable.
  1. Trekking poles can be used for things other than trekking. They save the weight of bringing dedicated tent poles; pitching a shelter with trekking poles can save up to two pounds. (Trekking poles are also much stronger and more rigid than tent poles, so they're less likely to break in high winds. This help creates safer shelters.) Poles can also double as a medical splint and can serve as ultralight packrafting paddles.

Except from point 1(0) I believe that a good, wooden stick will do the same.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
True story...One of the bad falls I saw on the camino happened to a pilgrim who tripped over her own walking pole. I was walking behind her and saw it happen with my own eyes. Just saying or should that be just stirring? :p:p:p

I never had any bad experiences from other pilgrims and their trekking poles on the Camino. I was never in any danger of being struck by one as they passed by, ever. They do make that clicking noise on hard pavement once the rubber boot wears off, and most pilgrims that use trekking poles don't carry spares, but that's no big deal.
They really are great to use and do assist you in walking both faster and efficient with some stress taken off of your knees. They also require very little practice or training in their proper use. I didn't see any pilgrims walking awkwardly with them.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd forgotten about the dogs.......

Every farm in France has a dog, whose job it is to bark himself hoarse as you pass. Most of them are chained up, but the nearer you get to SJPDP the more likely they are to be loose and inclined to follow you down the road, hurling threats in dog French. At such times a firm grip on a stout pole is very reassuring!

As one of the walking wounded I would not make it without my poles. I use them every step of the way.

Used properly poles reduce weight on the lower joints and back, and reduce energy required. They are beneficial uphill, downhill and on the flat. Requiring a slightly different technique for each.

Do most people know how to use them? No. For 85% they seem to be almost a fashion accessory and in the way they are being used, of no benefit at all. And Yes, the click click can be annoying on city streets and is not necessary. It takes 10 secs, without even breaking stride, to pop on the rubber 'feet' over the metal tips.

I agree. Without walking poles I simply could not walk any Camino. Now that I have completed Frances, Portuguese and del Norte is proof that the click click is important to those of us whose knees are buggered

Well, I have to say I firmly disagree. Having said that I was amazed and sometimes horrified to see how badly poles were used on the Camino. I just made it to Santiago yesterday. I had never used poles and spent a lot of time on YouTube looking at some great tutorials. IF indeed how 98% of the people used them that I watched during the last 40 days is how it is done then I agree they are totally useless. Get rid of them. HOWEVER, if you use them correctly they are an amazing help. They are like a second pair of hips and legs. But you have to do it right and it really is not hard to learn. I think the first time I took them in hand before the Camino it me about two to the. .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would say that I seriously disagree. However, having said that I was appalled on the Camino at how people used them. It was actually quite comical to the point of absurdity. Maybe 97% of the people fell into the comic category. This was my first time using them and I found great tutorials on YouTube. And I practiced. My first day using them before the Camino it took me about 1.5 hours of walking to find the correct rhythm which is essential. Left arm, right leg, etc. I felt a little clumsy at first, but got it. Then I learned about using the straps and the 3 different heights to be efficient. I used heavy duty rubber tips throughout the 800 KMs. They are wearing through, but it worked great. Using them correctly is like having another set of hips and legs and in descents you can totally protect your knees. I just arrived yesterday in Santiago and am almost 75. I know that without the trekking poles it would have been a different game entirely. Eventually with the poles I was flying along, had to try to slow myself down and did big climbs that totally astounded me. BUT if you don´t spend the time to learn to use them there is no purpose. And it is hilarious how they get used. I plan a comedy act at home when I get there about people and their trekking poles. Problem is the people and lack of preparation, NOT the poles.

€46,-
Definitely poles saved my Camino as I had knee pain which I did not anticipate .
It's a personal choice otherwise . You don't HAVE to use them but good just in case .
I did not hear any "clicking" and very easy to put rubber tips on . Obviously this post was annoying to a person easily annoyed .

To the OP, Don Camillo: In your categories of pole user styles, you forgot "the Spider". That's the one who extends the sticks out alternately in front of them and walks toward them, which mostly negates their usefulness.

Either you get or understand the beauty of poles or you don't. Use mine 100% of the time. Being an avid cross country skier in the winter, poles feel 100% natural and allow a much more rapid sustainable pace when used correctly as well as far less wear and tear on knee's etc. It is of course completely possible to do a Camino without poles as would walking barefoot be possible as well, neither of which I plan to do any time soon.

I will agree with the original poster than many are clueless as to how best utilize their poles. Also puzzling are those with poles that never leave their back pack.

Exactly, I agree with all of the above by zrexer.
I was also a pole cynic (and thought people walking with poles looked ridiculous). If you look on the Pacer Pole site, you will see much data on how poles are helpful while hiking and videos on how to use them correctly. I think the evidence is indisputable, but that doesn't mean they are essential for everybody.

I *still* think others look idiotic with their poles. But not me! ;)

http://pacerpole.com/background/pacerpole-basics

Pacer Poles have also been endorsed by eminently respectable climbers and guides, such as Chis Bonington, Colin Mortlock, Don Roscoe and Cameron McNeish (which is what finally convinced me that it isn't actually nerdy to use them). There are lots of reviews on that site by thru hikers who have done the PCT, AT, etc.

Last edited:

MUD!!!!!

I agree with you. On flat surface keeps my pace and coming down the hill saves my knees.
And don’t forget that they are a weapon against an unruly wild animal or an attacking dog

I am sure proponents of 'free climbing' also probably look at other climbers that use traditional pitons and ropes for mountain climbing as being something to pity and mock as well.
What ever works for each pilgrim is fine. What is not as fine is mocking other pilgrims equipment choices or technique just because it is not your own preferred way to go about it.

I am sure proponents of 'free climbing' also probably look at other climbers that use traditional pitons and ropes for mountain climbing as being something to pity and mock as well.
What ever works for each pilgrim is fine. What is not as fine is mocking other pilgrims equipment choices or technique just because it is not your own preferred way to go about it.
My knees are 69 years old and without the trekking poles they will hurt too much. It is a proven fact that I realized in Patagonia

The clicking sound of poles is certainly bothersome at times but perhaps not quite as intrusive and annoying as the bleatings of self-righteous pilgrims who have no sympathy for those of us with physical limitations. I am on my first walk along the Camino frances and have enjoyed it immensely (with poles deployed throughout) with the only exceptions being the arch, condescending comments from Purigrinos who insist that their way of walking the Camino is the only "real" Way and the rest of us are merely tourists.

I think it is more about trying to talk others out of loving them that is frowned upon!;) No one has ever been sanctioned for saying, "I don't like trekking poles.":)

It should be about respecting the other persons choice, right? Well it's not. This is a very one sided conversation.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.