• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking September 2018

TodoEsLaCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Autumn 2018
Hi, I'm Leo from the U.S. I am doing my 3rd Camino this year. I have never completed all the way yet for various reasons. But, this year I have more than enough time.

I fly into Barcelona on Tuesday. I will then either got to Montserrat for the Catalan, or catch train to Pamplona to either walk the Norte, or bus to SJPDP for the Frances. The Pyrenees possibly almost killed me in 2016, but I am in much better shape now.

I should probably decide soon......... decisions are hard.

It is most likely I will do the Frances again. If so, I will be starting September 13th,14th, or 15th out of SJPDP depending on the weather. If the weather is expected to be bad, and I still want to do the Frances, I will just start at Pamplona.

I hope to see some of you there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I'm Leo from the U.S. I am doing my 3rd Camino this year. I have never completed all the way yet for various reasons. But, this year I have more than enough time.

I fly into Barcelona on Tuesday. I will then either got to Montserrat for the Catalan, or catch train to Pamplona to either walk the Norte, or bus to SJPDP for the Frances. The Pyrenees possibly almost killed me in 2016, but I am in much better shape now.

It is most likely I will do the Frances again. If so, I will be starting September 13th,14th, or 15th out of SJPDP depending on the weather. If the weather is expected to be bad, and I still want to do the Frances, I will just start at Pamplona.

Sounds like a few good ideas and you have a plan B.

If you don’t choose to start walking this time from Montserrat, and you’ve enough time , it is really worth a visit. You can catch public transport out there. I stayed overnight there in 2012 with a friend and enjoyed walking about up there. Glorious. We had booked a room in the hotel but I have since read on this forum that there is pilgrim accommodation.. worth checking out .. you’re not committed to start from there but you could get a sello ?
At that time I had not even walked my first camino and wasn’t aware it was even a route.
Enjoy Barcelona.
- In 2014 I revisited (just because !) and took train to Irun to start the Norte.
Buen Camino
Annie

Buen Camino! Hoping to start Sept 15 out of SJPdP . . . perhaps we will cross paths!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi Leo,

As I see you are an expert in the El Camino walk.
I am starting on Monday 10.9.2018 and wanted to ask some suggestions where to get the passport in Porto and how to get to the walking starting point.

Thanks a lot
Liliom

Good idea if the weather is bad to start in Pamplona so nice place,buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Leo,

I am starting on Monday 10.9.2018 and wanted to ask some suggestions where to get the passport in Porto and how to get to the walking starting point.

Thanks a lot
Liliom
Go to the cathedral or to the Albergue de Peregrinos to get Passport. I am sure there are markings from both places. Most Pilgrim only Albergues are on the Camino. It’s easy, I promise you, don’t worry.

Hi Leo,

Thanks a lot
Liliom

I am really not sure as I have never been to Portugal yet. But, the advice above this post is pretty accurate. The Albergue de Perigrinos should be able to help you out. Cheers, and Buen Camino.

Go to the cathedral or to the Albergue de Peregrinos to get Passport. I am sure there are markings from both places. Most Pilgrim only Albergues are on the Camino. It’s easy, I promise you, don’t worry.

Thanks a lot Leo,
I hope I will manage to find my way around. I heard it is well signposted all the routes. I will walk 10 days from Porto to Santiago and then will need to get some bus or train to Madrid as I have my flight from there :)
Do I need to book the accommodations on the route in advance or just pop in and pay for the night?How much is it on avarage?

Thanks a lot
Liliom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks a lot Leo,
I hope I will manage to find my way around. I heard it is well signposted all the routes. I will walk 10 days from Porto to Santiago and then will need to get some bus or train to Madrid as I have my flight from there :)
Do I need to book the accommodations on the route in advance or just pop in and pay for the night?How much is it on avarage?

Thanks a lot
Liliom

I have never done this route, so other members would be able to answer this better than me. But, I dont think booking ahead would be necessary. Ive almost always managed to find lodging and never booked ahead on the Frances. I did have to sleep in a church doorway once, and on a hillside outside of a town on another occasion. But, that was more because of other factors(no where to change money for Euros, and misjudging my distance before dark set in).

Thanks a lot Leo,

Thanks a lot
Liliom
You will not need to book in advance. I never had peoblems in October. I also arrived pretty early as I start early. The cost will depend on where you want to stay. Have burgers are about €12. But if you want private accommodations of course they’ll be more.

You will not need to book in advance. I never had problems in October. I also arrived pretty early as I start early. The cost will depend on where you want to stay. Albergues are about €12. But if you want private accommodations of course they’ll be more.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi liliom,
Are you still on your Camino portuguese??
you could be be the end??
i was well in continuing my Camino ingles,
now back home...still processing my lesson from this last Camino...
how has it been for you?
buen Camino..if you still are walking..

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back