A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

walking stick plaques?

Camino(s) past & future
(2017)
Hi Camino Veterans, I am wondering if the small villages/towns on the camino have walking stick plaques. I love to decorate my walking stick and it makes for a wonderful reminder of the places visited. Thanks in advance, Garnet Carlson

Advertisment

C clearly

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
I don't remember seeing them at all in Spain.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Portugues (2017)
Norte/Liebana (Planning)
I will make a VERY silly question: what is a walk stick plaque? :D

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Camino(s) past & future
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
I will make a VERY silly question: what is a walk stick plaque? :D
It's a bendable metal badge like the bike manufacturers label their bikes with that can be glued to a trekking pole but is usually nailed to a wooden hiking staff. I have looked for them but have never seen them.
Buen Camino

Kurt5280

Crazy Enough To Try It Again!
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPDP & Finisterre & Muxia 9/15 - Future: Camino del Norte 8/18 (All Mountain Bike)
I only ever found one Camino walking stick medallion...and I found it on eBay. s-l14042JSC8YY.jpg

Advertisment

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SDC-Fisterra 08/Camino Frances SJPP to SDC 09/Nuremburg-SDC 11- ongoing
Hi Garnet those little plaques are very common on the German Jakobswegs (in fact all over Germany and Austria) and the Swizz Via Jacobi but not in France (so far but I've a way to go) and I never saw them for sale in Spain.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
E-gads! But that would add weight! I think NOT!

But, I am certain that for some people, it might be a nice idea.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
The only medallions we have seen are flat, not curved for sticks, so I have put mine onto a leather strap and hung them off my pack. It might be possible to fix this type to a stick but I think it would be likely to damage the stick and with only one hole they could swing and catch and pull off. :(

Camino(s) past & future
Camino frances 2013; Camino portugues 2015; Via francigena 2016
They are not very common. I found some (2 designs) in , I believe. Rocamador in France near the Basilica. Also in St. Jean Pied de Port (4 designs) downstairs in a souvenir shop on right side of main street as you're heading out of town. Also on CP in Valenca. They as noted by others are more common in other parts of Europe. There are several types - one of the more common being an Al shield shaped design. The picture is actually a paper backed sticker that one can carefully remove & sometimes peel the backing off so that it can be stuck to a metal walking stick. Some also in Santiago.
I also collect elongated pennies - one puts a penny and 50 c to one euro in machine and either push button on electric machine or turn crank on manual version and voila! An oval thin medallion with a local design on it. These are thin enough they can be bent around a wooden staff and attached with 2 small nails (brads) through holes you've drilled in them.
Yes, that's a lot of very arcane information and yes, I probably should have other things to do with my life but, well, what can I say.
Good hunting and buen camino!

Kurt5280

Crazy Enough To Try It Again!
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPDP & Finisterre & Muxia 9/15 - Future: Camino del Norte 8/18 (All Mountain Bike)
I probably should have other things to do with my life but, well, what can I say.
"There is a very fine line between hobbies and mental illness." - Author Dave Berry - "25 Things I Have Learned in 50 Years"

Stivandrer

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
The old "tourist industry" had machines where tou get the plaques and roll them so as bend them into the size of your stick. Seen some along the route, but did not check if they were working !
oops this is what John just wrote about, sorry..!

RoryGentry

Follow me!!! (Where are we, anyway?)
Camino(s) past & future
Burgos to Santiago, Sept. 16-Oct. 3, 2013

Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago, April 2014
I found about 4 of them when I did the Camino in 2013 and 2014. In the larger cities, I had to specifically ask shopkeepers where to find them.

Camino(s) past & future
2011-2017: Home(Germany) to SdC via Cologne-Taizé-Le Puy-Somport-Camino Aragones-Camino Frances

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June