• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the camino between August and September

RaphaelHythloday

I am planning to do the camino solo this year and i would like some advice please. I am an 18 years old portuguese boy and i am going to try to walk it in a month from (nearly) 15 August to (nearly) 15 September.

There are a few topics on which i couldn't find anything helpfull so i need you to tell me based on your experience the following.

-The average price on a hostel/albergue (if you opt for the cheapest :wink:)

-Approximately how many people would you have in an albergue per night (i like to walk alone and in quiet but also to meet people)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks but i like to walk through long periods like 10, 12 hours so la via de la plata is porbably the best, for me i was just wondering if the camino in the south of spain was empty or if there was some people there.

I am still looking for someone to help me with the albergues price in the south of spain

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Raphael,

I've deleted my post because my tired brain had not spotted that you are on the Via de la Plata and I was talking about the Francés.

Have you used the search engine. If no response, start a new thread with the question, How busy will the VdlP be in August/September? Maybe a second thread on albergue prices and sizes on the VdlP?

Everyone I have spoken to who has walked it says it is much quieter than the Francés.

Hopefully someone will respond to your specific questions.

Consider buying the CSJ guide to the route which focusses on these issues. There is a link just below the Google map at the top of the page.

I will be interested to know what the municipal albergues charge on the route.

philip

A useful link, thank you. I have saved it for future use.

I hope the tent does not prove to be too much of a burden. I am no longer young enough to carry one.

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
i will try and attach some photos ,but i walked only 11 days of the Via de la Plata in september last year ,starting in Seville and ending in Merida .I went with my cousin and there were up to 12 people ,sometimes much less ,staying in the refugios at night .We stayed in a mix of refugios and private ,price range in private was up to 10 E each sharing a room ,but mostly fine ,with toilet attached sometimes and always clean and cool .The refugios met needs for shelter ,bed and cool .Cool figures largely as the day we left seville it was 44 degrees ( C) and hard going as no shade apart from some cacti and scruffy looking banner grass d.Some parts were more shaded .as we got further towards Merida .We passed through olive groves some cool and pretty ,others just trees struggling to survive in a harsh terrain ,river beds mostly dry ,and lots of grape vines .But i enjoyed the walk ,though it was a struggle ,because it felt like this was really spain ,not prettied up as parts of the camino north are ,and there were much fewer people(i walked the whole Camino North in 2006 and it was a milestone in my life ,but this was harder and i guess more solitary and rewarding .Can only say that as there is a comparison and i guess a different person <i hope _walked a camino last year ..The towns were all different and interesting in their unique ways ,the food was good and the wine too ,and cheap .I want to go again but of course would go May think ,and spend more time in places like Merida and Caceres .Fantastic remains .Great people the Spaniards ,happy despite obvious poverty or at least right on the bread line and working hard physically .I will try and attach some photos .
but i think will have to do separately

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back