• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino from September to October

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Peregrinos,
I will be doing the Camino from 3rd week of September to last week of October. This is my first solo trip outside the country and I am quite nervous but I have to face my fears. I am flying to Madrid, and I want to start the walk in St. John Pied de Port. I arrive in Madrid at noon. Will I make it to St. John Pied de Port on the same day? Also, how is the walk in Sept and Oct with regard to weather? I am from SE Asia and not very familiar with weather in Spain. How cold can it get? At home, we wear a jacket when it gets to plus 18.
Hi from Ireland we always walk the camino at that time and experience great weather until Serria where it tends to rain a bit .

You will need a jacket for night time and early morning but shortes and teeshirts are good for daytime

a hat and sunglasses are also usefull ,i hope you enjoy the experience and i may meet you along the way.

Hello Peregrinos,
I will be doing the Camino from 3rd week of September to last week of October. This is my first solo trip outside the country and I am quite nervous but I have to face my fears. I am flying to Madrid, and I want to start the walk in St. John Pied de Port. I arrive in Madrid at noon. Will I make it to St. John Pied de Port on the same day? Also, how is the walk in Sept and Oct with regard to weather? I am from SE Asia and not very familiar with weather in Spain. How cold can it get? At home, we wear a jacket when it gets to plus 18.
Welcome to the forum, @Shy Shy
I too may meet you along the trail, as I shall be walking the Camino Aragones and joining the Camino Frances at Puenta la Reina at the around the time that you might expect to arrive there. I walked the Camino Frances last year in October - November and found the weather mostly quite pleasant, but I live in western Canada. Make sure to bring a light sleeping bag, as you will need it, and warm clothes that you can wear to bed if needed, for warmth. Good rain gear will also be essential, as you do not want to be wet and cold. Read the threads on sleeping bags, clothing and rain gear to find out what others use. Hopefully, you have sturdy and comfortable footwear for your walk. That must be your first priority. Buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am flying to Madrid, and I want to start the walk in St. John Pied de Port. I arrive in Madrid at noon. Will I make it to St. John Pied de Port on the same day?
Maybe. There is a bus from T-4 terminal in Barajas to Pamplona, the first one after your arrival is 1515 and will get to Pamplona at 2015. The last bus from Pamplona to SJPdP is at 1730. You can look for a train that leaves Madrid sooner than the bus, but it will require getting from the airport to the train station, then getting from the train station in Pamplona to the bus station there. It is more likely you will not get to SJPdP until the next day.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi from Ireland we always walk the camino at that time and experience great weather until Serria where it tends to rain a bit .

You will need a jacket for night time and early morning but shortes and teeshirts are good for daytime

a hat and sunglasses are also usefull ,i hope you enjoy the experience and i may meet you along the way.

"tend to rain a bit"? :rolleyes:

But, on a serious note, the weather can change quite dramatically at that time of year. So long as you have something to keep yourself and your belonging warm and dry you should be fine.

Remember the walking itself will keep you warm unless you get wet.

Evenings can cool quite quicky but as Kerrychick says a jacket (or fleece) should be fine.

Have a great Camino!

Hello Peregrinos,
@Shy Shy
There is an option to taking public transport from Madrid airport to St Jean pied de Port on your arrival in Spain. When I arrived in Madrid last September, I took a bus to Pamplona, where I was met by Istvan, the host or Corazon Puro, driven back to his pension with the other pilgrims who were picked up by him in Pamplona at the same time, fed supper, hosted for the night, fed breakfast, and driven to St Jean in the morning, where I set off up the hill towards Orisson and Roncesvalles. It is a wonderful way to begin your camino. The website is www.corazonpuro.es . If you are going in September, you may want to consider making reservations at Corazon Puro and at Orisson (up the hill from St Jean) very soon, as they are both popular and with limited space. Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Newbie here too - I intend to start from StJPdP on Friday the 16th. After spending the past 6 years in India, this will be a very different experience!

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Peregrinos,

Hi there,
I walked the Camino last September- October from SJPdP all the way to Santiago....alone.
It's a beautiful time of the year because it's not too hot. Even the temp on the Meseta was comfortable.
The only weather problems that I encountered was, some rain right after leaving Burgos, and then quite a bit of rain when I reached Galicia.....right around Arzúa, which is a day away from Sanitago.

I live in Southern California, so I flew from Los Angeles to Madrid. Then after a 1 hour layover, I took another flight from Madrid to Pamplona. This way might be a little more expensive instead of taking the train or bus, but it's much quicker. Once I arrived in Pamplona, I decided to check around the baggage area to see if anyone wanted to share a taxi ride to St. John. I saw plenty of people that wanted to do the same thing. The cost is about € 120, but when you share it with 2 other people, € 40 per person sounded great.
It took about 1 1/2 hours driving around the Pyrenees to reach St. John. I arrived at 5 pm, and immediately checked in at my B&B (make reservations). Then I headed to the Pilgrim's office to "check in" and receive my Credential. The first stamp on the Credential will be from the Pilgrim's office. Stores/markets are open until 9 pm, so I bought some goodies to munch on for the trip, and started my journey up the Pyrenees the next morning. The hike up the Pyrenees was spectacular! You'll see lots of hikers so you won't be alone.
Would I do this Camino again??? YES.....in a heartbeat! I'm already planning for next September to walk again.
Hope this helped.
Buen Camino to you.
Donna

Last edited:
...... like walking school I shall be daudling along too ... not really wanting to get tot he other end.
Orange and grey mochilla .... aussies on the camino patch

I am leaving St Jean on Tuesday 20th Sept... snail pace also .... mostly because I want to smell the roses :rolleyes:... going via valcarlos and staying the night ..... taking it very easy first first days to unwind, chill and relax ...... so looking forward to it .....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have spent the last several hours looking at possible accommodation on the Voie d'Arles between Oloron Ste Marie and the Somport Pass, ending with pictures of the route. Suddenly, I am extremely excited. One month from today, I shall be landing in Pau and heading to Oloron Ste Marie to begin my approximately 900 km. walk to Santiago de Compostela. The Pyrenees look amazing. I am ready to put my boots on right this minute, pick up my pack, and go out the door. Another month!! I am not anxious any more, just eager. I hope to meet some of you September - October walkers on the trail, most probably after Puenta la Reina. Buen camino a todos.

Hi Guys ..... anyone catching the 7am flight from CDG to Biatrritz on 14th Sept .... and wanting to share transport? ... taxi, uber, hire car ? .... a hire car 3 ways might be quite cost and time efficient ?

Yep I f
I have spent the last several hours looking at possible accommodation on the Voie d'Arles between Oloron Ste Marie and the Somport Pass, ending with pictures of the route. Suddenly, I am extremely excited. One month from today, I shall be landing in Pau and heading to Oloron Ste Marie to begin my approximately 900 km. walk to Santiago de Compostela. The Pyrenees look amazing. I am ready to put my boots on right this minute, pick up my pack, and go out the door. Another month!! I am not anxious any more, just eager. I hope to meet some of you September - October walkers on the trail, most probably after Puenta la Reina. Buen camino a todos.
Yep I feel the same :D SUDDENLY extremely excited instead of anxious ... rare day off today ... out walking with pack and soooo happy already ... wind in my face .... pack on my back ... come hell or high water I am ready .... well not really :rolleyes:.... but going ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,

I will be arriving in Burgos on September 26th in the evening. I have already organised my accomodation for the night. This is my first camino and solo trip and I am a little nervous. If someone has already walked this, could you please let me know an estimate of how much I will spend a day on accommodation, food etc.

The count down is on, feeling many different feelings, but mainly excited to begin this trip!

Hopefully I will hear back from someone, hope to meet every single one of you while walking.

Buen Camino to you all!

Daniela :)

Hello everyone,

I will be arriving in Burgos on September 26th in the evening. I have already organised my accomodation for the night. This is my first camino and solo trip and I am a little nervous. If someone has already walked this, could you please let me know an estimate of how much I will spend a day on accommodation, food etc.

The count down is on, feeling many different feelings, but mainly excited to begin this trip!

Hopefully I will hear back from someone, hope to meet every single one of you while walking.

Buen Camino to you all!

@Daniela Pitarresi
I can give you some information on what I spent last year walking the camino frances. On the average day, I spent about 25 euros, although I had budgeted for 35. How it worked out was: about 10 euros for a bed in a pilgrim hostel (albergue in Spanish). For the evening meal, either it was provided for a varying charge at the hostel or I paid about 10 euros each evening for the pilgrim's menu in a bar/restaurant. This was a generous 3 course meal, with appetizer, main course, a small desert (ice cream, yogout etc.) and bread and wine on the side. I almost always had a large salad for appetizer and was comfortably full after the meal. Some pilgrim meals were great, some awful, most boring. I bought coffee and toast for breakfast, sometimes with fresh squeezed orange juice, and had a very light picnic lunch of apple and cheese,with sometimes a piece of bread or a carrot. This came to about 25 euros a day when I was walking, and of course more if I was staying in a city and had taken a private room. And Santiago was more expensive. On top of that of course was travel and gear as needed. On the whole walking a camino is very inexpensive for the time away, unless of course, you find that wine at supper is just the start. You can spend as much as you want, if you are able.
I am returning for a second pilgrimage in September - October. Buen camino.

@Albertagirl - thank you so much for that info!!

You have been extremely helpful! Hopefully we come across each other while walking.

I have allowed myself 26-28 days to walk from Burgos to Santiago, do you think this will be enough time?
If anyone else can answer this question also, please feel free.
I'm sure you can already tell I am nervous. But beyond excited!!
Thanks again!

Daniela from Australia!!
:)

€149,-
@Albertagirl - thank you so much for that info!!

You have been extremely helpful! Hopefully we come across each other while walking.

I have allowed myself 26-28 days to walk from Burgos to Santiago, do you think this will be enough time?
If anyone else can answer this question also, please feel free.
I'm sure you can already tell I am nervous. But beyond excited!!
Thanks again!

Daniela from Australia!!
:)

@Daniela Pitarresi
I have checked my credencial. I was in Burgos last year on October 19 and arrived in Santiago on Nov. 17. This is closer to your 28 days. I did not rush during that time, but took all the recommended detours: from Leon to Mazarife, from Triacastela to Samos, taking more time to avoid the main trail from Leon and to see the ancient monastery at Samos and stay in their albergue. If you need to finish in 26 days, you will need to keep an eye on your progress. You have enough time to finish, but perhaps not enough to take all the interesting detours, unless you are a fast walker, which I am not. And you will want a day or two (or more) in Santiago after you arrive. Have a wonderful time.

@Albertagirl
Thank you so much for this information, it has been so helpful!!
You have no idea!!

I will keep an eye on my progress for sure, I hope to cross paths with you. But if not have a wonderful Trip and Buen Camino!!

Newbie here too, starting from Lourdes towards the end of September, if everything goes to plan I reckon I could be in Santiago sometime in November. I'm training quite hard at the moment and I can nearly drink 1/2 bottle of wine a night without falling over, I'm hoping to get nearer a bottle before I leave.

€60,-
Hello fellow pilgrims. I will arrive in Madrid 9/13 and have booked a flight to Pamplona on the same day. Will be picked up be Istvan and will spend the night at his Albergue. Starting in SJP on 9/14. At the moment it is 91 degrees F in Alexandria, VA so training has been a bit spotty. Am getting very excited albeit nervous about walking with my full pack everyday. Doing this trek to celebrate my 70th birthday among other things. Hope to see many of you along the way.

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will arrive in Madrid 9/13 and have booked a flight to Pamplona on the same day. Will be picked up be Istvan and will spend the night at his Albergue. Starting in SJP on 9/14. At the moment it is 91 degrees F in Alexandria, VA so training has been a bit spotty. Am getting very excited albeit nervous about walking with my full pack everyday. Doing this trek to celebrate my 70th birthday among other things. Hope to see many of you along the way.

Liz, my dad and I are just a day or two behind you! We land in Madrid 9/14, taking the bust to Pamplona, and also getting picked up by Istvan! Spending a day in St Jean though, so we won't actually start from there til the 16th. I hope we all run into each other! :) Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there,
I walked the Camino last September- October from SJPdP all the way to Santiago....alone.
It's a beautiful time of the year because it's not too hot. Even the temp on the Meseta was comfortable.
The only weather problems that I encountered was, some rain right after leaving Burgos, and then quite a bit of rain when I reached Galicia.....right around Arzúa, which is a day away from Sanitago.

I live in Southern California, so I flew from Los Angeles to Madrid. Then after a 1 hour layover, I took another flight from Madrid to Pamplona. This way might be a little more expensive instead of taking the train or bus, but it's much quicker. Once I arrived in Pamplona, I decided to check around the baggage area to see if anyone wanted to share a taxi ride to St. John. I saw plenty of people that wanted to do the same thing. The cost is about € 120, but when you share it with 2 other people, € 40 per person sounded great.
It took about 1 1/2 hours driving around the Pyrenees to reach St. John. I arrived at 5 pm, and immediately checked in at my B&B (make reservations). Then I headed to the Pilgrim's office to "check in" and receive my Credential. The first stamp on the Credential will be from the Pilgrim's office. Stores/markets are open until 9 pm, so I bought some goodies to munch on for the trip, and started my journey up the Pyrenees the next morning. The hike up the Pyrenees was spectacular! You'll see lots of hikers so you won't be alone.
Would I do this Camino again??? YES.....in a heartbeat! I'm already planning for next September to walk again.
Hope this helped.
Buen Camino to you.
Donna

Hi did you buy your ticket ahead of time to Pamplona from Madrid and do you remember the cost? What B& b did you stay in. I am traveling alone September 5. I am nervous about the hike up the Pyrenees. Was it very steep? Thank you
Nelia

@Shy Shy
There is an option to taking public transport from Madrid airport to St Jean pied de Port on your arrival in Spain. When I arrived in Madrid last September, I took a bus to Pamplona, where I was met by Istvan, the host or Corazon Puro, driven back to his pension with the other pilgrims who were picked up by him in Pamplona at the same time, fed supper, hosted for the night, fed breakfast, and driven to St Jean in the morning, where I set off up the hill towards Orisson and Roncesvalles. It is a wonderful way to begin your camino. The website is www.corazonpuro.es . If you are going in September, you may want to consider making reservations at Corazon Puro and at Orisson (up the hill from St Jean) very soon, as they are both popular and with limited space. Buen camino.
Thank you. This is very helpful. I was not able to log back in to this forum until today and I already booked for one night in Madrid through airbnb, and purchased a train ticket to Pamplona for the the 21st. I originally hoped to catch a bus on the same day to St Jean Pied de Port. The bus ticket costs 22 euros through ALSA and the bus arrives at 7PM in St.Jean. But after looking at corazonpuro, it seems like a very good option to stay with them instead, have a good dinner, then go to St.Jean in the morning (they say it's a 50-minute drive)and start my camino. Thank you so much for the info.

Last edited:
Thank you. This is very helpful. I was not able to log back in to this forum until today and I already booked for one night in Madrid through airbnb, and purchased a train ticket to Pamplona for the the 21st. I originally hoped to catch a bus on the same day to St Jean Pied de Port. The bus ticket costs 22 euros through ALSA and the bus arrives at 7PM in St.Jean. But after looking at corazonpuro, it seems like a very good option to stay with them instead, have a good dinner, then go to St.Jean in the morning (they say it's a 50-minute drive)and start my camino. Thank you so much for the info.
Yeah, it's about a 45-50 minute drive down to SJPdP from Corazon Puro. They leave after breakfast and I think we got into SJPdP around 9:00 am. A bit late in the day than normal to start walking to Roncesvalles, but still doable depending upon your pace and what time it gets dark.
They drop you off about 100 meters from the pilgrim's office. So it's very easy to go there to get your passport/credentials.
cheers and ultreia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm hoping to go from St. Jean to Muxia and back again, finishing in St. Jean around Halloween. So I'm especially interested in most of what these posts already discuss: open v. closed albergues and weather conditions. I'm wondering about hitting a really big snowfall between Roncevalles and St. Jean. Does anyone have any thoughts about the likelihood of that? I'm also wondering about when to start. I've done two Caminos, but never there and back again. Going to Barcelona this October to work on Spanish.

Hi Shy Shy,
I walked the entire Camino in 2015, (mid Sept -mid Oct) the same time you are planning to go. The weather was perfect the whole way.....until I hit Galicia. It rained on and off all the way to Santiago. When it got a little cooler at night, I just put on all my layers and I was fine. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.