• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino Portugues as a Woman: Safety Concerns and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySina

Time of past OR future Camino
08/02
Hello, my dears,
I'm walking the Camino for the first time in August. I urgently need the time for myself but Im thinking about if it is dangerous for me as a woman to walk the Camino Portugues all by myself. Anyone have some helpful thoughts for me on this?

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Portuguese in May by myself (55yr old woman). I felt completely safe. In fact, that sense of safety was the first time in my life that I’ve felt that. I’m not suggesting that bad things never happen on the Camino, they do, but compared to many other places I’ve been & even where I live, this is safe. With that said, I am always aware of my surroundings & had the mindset that if someone wanted to rob me, I’d let them have my belongings without a struggle.

About day 10 I eventually met up with folks and we walked together. Not out of safety, but out of the need for companionship.

And you are truly never completely alone - there are folks around. There will be stretches when you don’t see too many people, but it isn’t like you are in the deep backcountry alone.

Your walk will be beautiful. Enjoy.

I walked the Portuguese in May by myself (55yr old woman). I felt completely safe. In fact, that sense of safety was the first time in my life that I’ve felt that. I’m not suggesting that bad things never happen on the Camino, they do, but compared to many other places I’ve been & even where I live, this is safe. With that said, I am always aware of my surroundings & had the mindset that if someone wanted to rob me, I’d let them have my belongings without a struggle.

About day 10 I eventually met up with folks and we walked together. Not out of safety, but out of the need for companionship.

And you are truly never completely alone - there are folks around. There will be stretches when you don’t see too many people, but it isn’t like you are in the deep backcountry alone.

Thank you for your words. I hope to be able to tell you afterwards that I also felt safe for the first time. Will you walk this path again?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello - is there anything particular about this trip that concerns you? Have you travelled to other places alone?

Hello, my dears,
I'm walking the Camino for the first time in August. I urgently need the time for myself but Im thinking about if it is dangerous for me as a woman to walk the Camino Portugues all by myself. Anyone have some helpful thoughts for me on this?

Thanks
Hi, @SimplySina,

Welcome to the forum! You are not alone in wondering about safety, but I know that there are many forum members just like me, who have walked many caminos alone. Just last month, I finished walking the Lana from Alicante to Burgos. Though I was lucky to always have one or two friends to meet up with at night (@C clearly and @Krimpa), we very regularly walked alone. And I do mean alone — because in all our four weeks on this route, we did not meet any other pilgrims at all!

I have walked many caminos in solitude, which I love. I have had a fair number of flashing incidents, but I have been able to deal with that and not let it ruin the Camino for me. I love walking alone and cannot imagine a camino without huge chunks of alone time.

I cannot tell from your post whether you are fearful and anxious, or if you are simply wondering about safety. If it’s the latter, I can assure you that the Camino is one of the safest places anywhere, though of course bad things occasionally happen. If it’s the former, if your brain just can’t accept the reality of the data and you are scared, then I don’t think you should walk alone. Walking in that state of mind will probably make it a walk full of anxiety and feeling uncomfortable. And that’s certainly not the point of walking a camino!

The Camino Portugués is a very well-traveled route, at least from Porto north. You can probably be assured of having others to walk with if you are feeling nervous. If you are starting in Lisbon, I think you will have to accept the likelihood that there will be many times when there are no other pilgrims in sight, and you will at most only have a few for company at the end of the day.

Good luck with your decision, let us know what you decide to do! Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the CP in April at 45 years old and never felt unsafe. I walked the CF in 2016 and I only felt unsafe once but quickly removed myself from the situation (pervy pilgrim staring at me and rubbing his crotch- adios!!)

Hi, @SimplySina,

Welcome to the forum! You are not alone in wondering about safety, but I know that there are many forum members just like me, who have walked many caminos alone. Just last month, I finished walking the Lana from Alicante to Burgos. Though I was lucky to always have one or two friends to meet up with at night (@C clearly and @Krimpa), we very regularly walked alone. And I do mean alone — because in all our four weeks on this route, we did not meet any other pilgrims at all!

I have walked many caminos in solitude, which I love. I have had a fair number of flashing incidents, but I have been able to deal with that and not let it ruin the Camino for me. I love walking alone and cannot imagine a camino without huge chunks of alone time.

I cannot tell from your post whether you are fearful and anxious, or if you are simply wondering about safety. If it’s the latter, I can assure you that the Camino is one of the safest places anywhere, though of course bad things occasionally happen. If it’s the former, if your brain just can’t accept the reality of the data and you are scared, then I don’t think you should walk alone. Walking in that state of mind will probably make it a walk full of anxiety and feeling uncomfortable. And that’s certainly not the point of walking a camino!

The Camino Portugués is a very well-traveled route, at least from Porto north. You can probably be assured of having others to walk with if you are feeling nervous. If you are starting in Lisbon, I think you will have to accept the likelihood that there will be many times when there are no other pilgrims in sight, and you will at most only have a few for company at the end of the day.

Good luck with your decision, let us know what you decide to do! Buen camino, Laurie
Hey Laurie, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me. I am a mother of four and can't remember the last time I was alone. Of course, the thought of being completely on my own unsettles me a bit, but I'm sure that it will enrich me to make it. The last few years have been hard for me and I have the feeling that I urgently need to unload a few stones on the Camino in order to be able to go through life again without this ballast.
I will start in Porto on August 2nd 🙏🏻

Best regards,
Sina

I have walked the Frances and the Portuguese from Lisbon alone - the first time i was about 30. And like at home there is always the possibility of encountering a pervy man (too many of them exist!). Look after your valuables as there is a far greater risk of someone pocketing your purse or wallet if it is lyng about. However, both of these routes the CF and CP have lots of other pilgrims and most pilgrims are kind and supportive of each other.
I've just walked solo for 600km on a camino route through France from Nantes to Bayonne. I felt reasonably safe the entire journey even if I only met 2 pilgrims

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Sina, it isn't all about feeling, also about being prepared and hoping you'll never need it.

What is your safety plan?

Do you know how to contact the emergency services when you need them?
Where to find the weather forecast and the news?
How to overcome language problems?
Are friends and family at home able to track your whereabouts?
Do you have a whistle on your backpack? a basic training in self defense?
A place to hide your valuables?

Be prepared and have a great Camino!

Hello, my dears,

Thanks
Hi, I walked the Norte solo and walked with my husband on the CP. Both experiences were great but different in nature. First, violent crime is rare in Portugal and Spain. On the Norte, I kept my antennae up as we women always do. I never felt unsafe, and I was alone in urban and remote areas the majority of the time. Walking solo is empowering. I had to rely on just myself for all decisions large and small. It was freeing. I learned so much about myself. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I hope you give going solo full consideration.

Hello, my dears,

Thanks
Too many incidences of men exposing themselves. Find a walking partner when you start. This behavior does seem to occur more often in Portugal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Laurie, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me. I am a mother of four and can't remember the last time I was alone. Of course, the thought of being completely on my own unsettles me a bit, but I'm sure that it will enrich me to make it. The last few years have been hard for me and I have the feeling that I urgently need to unload a few stones on the Camino in order to be able to go through life again without this ballast.
I will start in Porto on August 2nd 🙏🏻

Best regards,
Sina
Hi Sina
I will be starting the Portuguese coastal on Monday. I have my night in Porto planned but otherwise will see where I get to. I walked the Francés sólo in 2020. It was very quiet as between lock downs, but I always met other pilgrims at some time during the day. Some time walking alone, some in very small groups (2 to 5), but always felt safe. One instance of a chap masterbating, but just walked on by. Felt a little unsettled for a while, but then met up with others. The rest of the 800km was magic. As others have said, probably much safer than the town you live in.
Buen camino

It’s sad that we Americans have this mindset of fear anytime we consider going somewhere alone. Either we are conditioned to believe we are generally unsafe in the world, or we are in the habit of feeling fearful. I’ve spent years traveling solo (I’m married to a wonderful man) all over the world and I’ve never had a problem. I practice good sense; valuables are kept on me at all times, dress conservatively and plainly, walk in well lit places… etc. I’ve never felt unsafe. I’ve never had a problem. Portugal was just fine. They drive fast there. Good luck!

Too many incidences of men exposing themselves. Find a walking partner when you start. This behavior does seem to occur more often in Portugal.
Well this is nasty behavior, but a full grown women can survive this attempt of intimidation. Women, do not let yourself be controlled by this deviant male behavior. Do not short or limit yourselves because of what “might” happen. Control your destiny.

Hello, my dears,

Thanks
Hello! I walked del Norte to el Primitivo to Santiago to Muxia and Finisterre in April and May this year. Weeks 1, 4,5 and 6 I had company. The 2 weeks I was alone, (Bilbao to Oviedo) were great (as we’re the others) I felt completely safe, and very self-sufficient I might add. Going back soon!

Well this is nasty behavior, but a full grown women can survive this attempt of intimidation. Women, do not let yourself be controlled by this deviant male behavior. Do not short or limit yourselves because of what “might” happen. Control your destiny.
Just a gentle reminder that sometimes “full grown women” have histories of really difficult experiences and may or may not feel able to shrug off this kind of behavior.

Male or female, I suggest that before doing walking the Camino that you should already have independent travel experience in Europe or even a major American city. You should already know how to secure your valuables and be aware of your surroundings, so you won't be any easy mark for pickpockets.

The Camino itself is very safe, but less safe are the airports and trains stations that you need to pass through on the way to/from the Camino.

It just takes a little bit of effort to be vigilant.

-Paul

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It’s sad that we Americans have this mindset of fear anytime we consider going somewhere alone. Either we are conditioned to believe we are generally unsafe in the world, or we are in the habit of feeling fearful. I’ve spent years traveling solo (I’m married to a wonderful man) all over the world and I’ve never had a problem. I practice good sense; valuables are kept on me at all times, dress conservatively and plainly, walk in well lit places… etc. I’ve never felt unsafe. I’ve never had a problem. Portugal was just fine. They drive fast there. Good luck!

I understand what you mean. I must say though that even if we do not dress conservatively and plainly this may never be an excuse for others to harrass us in any way.

My walkingclothes are as modest and plain as they can be and this did not protect me against misogynistic behaviour or indecent proposals.
But yes, overall a Camino is a safer place than the average parkinglot of an average trainstation here in my country.

Last edited:
Male or female, I suggest that before doing walking the Camino that you should already have independent travel experience in Europe or even a major American city
I can't think of a better environment for a first solo travel experience than the Camino, which is so supportive.

Just a gentle reminder that sometimes “full grown women” have histories of really difficult experiences and may or may not feel able to shrug off this kind of behavior.
Agree, and in those circumstances professional help should be sought out. Being defined by past traumas is a continuation of victimhood. Case in point, denying oneself an extremely liberating experience like a solo walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Male or female, I suggest that before doing walking the Camino that you should already have independent travel experience in Europe or even a major American city. You should already know how to secure your valuables and be aware of your surroundings, so you won't be any easy mark for pickpockets.

The Camino itself is very safe, but less safe are the airports and trains stations that you need to pass through on the way to/from the Camino.
We've been around this bouy before, although there appears to be a new twist to this current advice.

I made comments about a similar suggestion here and here. In short, it seems to me that for many, the Camino is going to be their first overseas travel experience, and they will not be able to afford to do a dry run.

But in this instance, the OP appears to be from Germany, and suggesting that they get travel experience in Europe seems rather strange when they live there, and suggesting they go to a major American city to experience independent travel in preparation for going to Spain seems equally if not more odd.

Hello, I completed the Camino Portuguese in April this year, as a solo 64 year old woman. My husband passed away suddenly in October last year and the Camino helped me to deal with my grief. There were days when I wanted to walk alone and times when I met some wonderful people, from all over the world.
I never felt vulnerable or threatened, in fact the walk was a very healing experience. There were lots of groups of women on the Camino and I often joined with them, shared meals and life experiences with them. Go with a positive mind set and have fun, you will love it.

Hello, my dears,

Thanks
I walked the CP recently as a solo female and really enjoyed it. I mostly walked the Sende Litoral and, while it was very quiet, I felt totally safe. It’s a magical route along endless beaches for the first two thirds and then moves inland to forests and country lanes. It gets very busy from Redondela. Enjoy planning!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Absolutely the same for me. Walked Portuguese coastal in May 2019 and always felt completely safe. As previous response mentioned, if being alone is a concern, you really never need to be unless you chose to be. Portugal and Spain are incredibly safe countries. I travel a lot on my own and tend not to be scared or intimidated in most places or locations but in particular the Camino feels incredibly safe and I had absolutely no issues. Honestly, just go. You will see for yourself.

Hello, my dears,

Thanks

I will also be walking the CP starting in Porto around the 23rd of August. But.......my girlfriend who has never left the states nor did anything for herself will be starting in Lisbon to meet up with me. She has just begun to question the same and I have walked the Portuguese twice, once with my husband and then with my son and I have to say, I never felt "unsafe". As I have told her, scan your day before setting out and ask to walk with others for the day if your gut is telling you otherwise. Carry yourself with much confidence if you come upon a quiet area and using poles is also a great idea to arm yourself. I won't let the fear of what if something happens keep me from anticipating and enjoying the camino, as with everyday living, be aware of your surroundings. I will look for you on the camino and till then, ultreia and pack light!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, my dears,

Thanks
One of the things that people don't understand is how safe Portugal is. The thied safest country in the world. My wife waljs to her keep fit class twice a week. The class starts at 20.30. She has never once in the last 7 years felt unsafe. In the UK she wouldn't have even considered it. In the US when I visit family, even I fell unsafe.

Portugal is a beautiful and very safe country. Bom caminho.

But in this instance, the OP appears to be from Germany, and suggesting that they get travel experience in Europe seems rather strange when they live there, and suggesting they go to a major American city to experience independent travel in preparation for going to Spain seems equally if not more odd.

If you live in a small town in Germany or the US, I'd recommend that you get some independent travel experience in a large city in your own country before traveling further. Start locally and build on your experiences to travel further.

You don't learn to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool! Yet this is what is happening to people with no international travel experience that insist on doing the Camino.

-Paul

If you live in a small town in Germany or the US, I'd recommend that you get some independent travel experience in a large city in your own country before traveling further. Start locally and build on your experiences to travel further.

You don't learn to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool! Yet this is what is happening to people with no international travel experience that insist on doing the Camino.

-Paul
I rather think that you will have all the forum members from the small towns of the US and Germany now wondering why they have been singled out in this, whereas members from elsewhere might feel relieved that you think they are sufficiently competent to undertake travel to walk the Camimo without such special preparations.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Sept 2019 after the CP I accompanied a young German friend ( experienced pilgrim and traveller) to the police station in Santiago to lodge a report after she was harassed in the early morning on the espiritual variant of the CP but in Spain. It was very odd. We were in contact via mobile while this was happening but I was too far away to be of any assistance or to fully comprehend as she couldn’t fully explain her predicament in English and I don’t speak German. After she started the day early while it was still dark and before leaving the town limits a strange man kept driving around and watching her and he also stopped a couple of times. Coincidentally I was starting at the same time on the central route with two danish friends and felt perfectly safe.) The man also exited the car and approached to speak to her - she ended up hiding in the shadows of a building to evade him and called the local police who were responsive and helpful and escorted her to the train station so she could transfer back to the central route to meet up with me again. We both stayed our last night in a small village before walking into Santiago together and lodging the report that afternoon. The police who had helped her recommended reporting in Santiago and I can’t remember why (I think it was language and they have a special women’s or pilgrim unit) Wisely, my fellow peregrino did photograph the car and rego - not sure how it was treated by the police from there as thankfully an assault had not occured but my young friend was very shaken by the episode. It certainly reminds you to be aware of your surroundings and, sadly if you are a woman, rethink whether walking in the cool of early morning should be a solo event. I personally walk extremely slowly due to a number of injuries and foot issues and I prefer to start early too as I hope to limit the hours i spend in the afternoon heat (not a bed race for me just a survival or endurance tactic). - often its still dark at 7 or even 8 on the caminos on the Iberian peninsular. I guess lesson learned - hook up with other pilgrims for early starts as there is safety in numbers when no one else is around.

That was part of the physical, mental and spiritual challenge for me (walking, not learning to swim). Wherever your first international travel experience happens, most people feel a little apprehensive, so what better place to start out than on a çamino, where there are others who will offer support?

Yet this is what is happening to people with no international travel experience that insist on doing the Camino.
I would argue that the missing factor (for some individuals) is education about other countries in the world.

The logistics of travel - airports, cash, transit systems - are technical details that will be a similar challenge no matter where one travels first. The Camino is quite a safe space with great infrastructure and support, so it is not a bad destination for inexperienced travelers.

This thread is about safety of women walking alone. I would agree with you that anyone who has never gone for a walk alone should probably do so before insisting on doing the Camino. Any woman who regularly leaves her neighbourhood at home would have learned something about situational awareness and security.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked the camino Portugues a year ago and was sexually assaulted at a chiropractors office. I am in the legal process. Stay aware, vigilant and seek help if anything happens. The Guardia civil was very responsive and take cases seriously. When dealing with my case there was an arrest for a ‘pilgrim’ that had assaulted someone the night before. I learned that the hostels check passports and place them in a databse in case there is someone on the run. I am still dealing with the legal system but hope that we can keep predators off the camino. Buen Camino and like life there are good and bad things.

I just started a thread for women to make reports of male aggression on the Camino, but Ivar, the male admin, shut it down and said we didn't need it.

I think women should move off this forum and onto one where our thoughts, comments, fears and experiences are not moderated by men.

I just started a thread for women to make reports of male aggression on the Camino, but Ivar, the male admin, shut it down and said we didn't need it.

I think women should move off this forum and onto one where our thoughts, comments, fears and experiences are not moderated by men.

Hi @IJS .
Do take the time to browse through this section of the forum.
You will see that this place always gives sensible and correct advice to all who are the victim of a crime or assault of the Camino. Supportive advice too!
We also always tell victims to report to the police and local authorities.
And we suggest that when you start a Camino you install Alertcops.

Reprimanding Ivar here publicly is uncalled for seeing he is totally supportive of keeping the Camino and this forum a safe place. He did not write we do not need these types of posts but he just redirected you to this section.

Take into consideration that also men and X can be the victim of all types of assault.

Now, come on. New start?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

@IJS I see that you are a new member, so may not have read the many posts from women who have been intimidated or sexually harassed. These posts have always been dealt with fairly and the women well supported by many of our male pilgrim members. Please don't paint them all with the same brush. The biggest problems in life often begin with dividing societies. Like all evils, it is the minority that give the rest a bad name. We need and welcome the support of honest, gentle and caring men and many of those are sitting behind their screens now. If you wish to leave the forum, that is your choice, but please don't blacken the name of Ivar, who through his hard work and dedication has helped so many of us.

A danger on a forum is using opinion rather than information. I fall into the trap! If you think you should move to a different platform, go in peace.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I am a female moderator on the forum and have found Ivar to be fully supportive and accepting of the female perspective.

Here is my approach to moderation of this topic. These are my words, but I am confident that they are generally consistent with the views of Ivar and other moderators:
  1. Reports of assault (sexual or not) should be put in the Safety and Security section of the forum.
  2. Incident reports should be first-hand (or with direct knowledge) and they should be reported to the police.
  3. We do not want extended discussion, conjecture or unconfirmed reports/rumours, so we usually close the thread once there has been a chance for clarifications and expressions of support to the OP.
  4. We do not want extended discussion of the societal/sociological/political issues around sexual assault. The forum is not in a position to provide moderation for these important and sensitive issues, beyond the direct Camino connection..
  5. We close the reports not to stifle reporting, but to ensure that the specific incident reports are not lost in an extended emotional discussion of the larger issues.
  6. Photos of people or Facebook identities should not be posted.

Hello! I must say, I admire your passion and persistence on this topic. It is clearly very important to you.

But please do take a moment to read Ivar's reply. I have seen his message and he wasn't shutting it down, but linking to another section of the forum that already performs the same function. I know because I posted about an encounter I had on a Camino a few years ago and I received many supportive comments from men (and women, of course) on this forum. I believe my post is still in that folder so you can read for yourself.

I've walked quite a few Caminos solo and yes, things sometimes happen. But I've had worse in my home town.

By and large, I've so appreciated having this forum to share my journeys, exchange ideas and yes, receive support when things go wrong. I'm certainly not going to leave it any time soon.

I hope you can find the time to read through past posts and see what it's really like. Of course, if it's not for you, that's ok too!

All the best!

Hello, IJS, I am a moderator and was involved with and agreed with the decision to delete some of your posts. Four moderators are women, two are men. If you search the forum, you will see there are many threads reporting the fact of flashing or other sexual aggression towards women. These threads are not shut down, stifled, or censored. We try to keep the threads limited to the facts, and leave it to each individual forum member to decide how to react or behave in light of those facts. There is a fine line between factual reporting and fear mongering, and I believe you have crossed it.

Statistically, as I’m sure you know, the Camino is a very safe place, much safer than the home environments many of us come from. That doesn’t mean that it’s a bubble of peace and total safety, and I don’t think anyone disagrees with the idea that women should be alert and should report any incidents to the police. But to suggest that we need to beat the bushes to drum up reports of aggression is not helpful and paints a very unrealistic picture of the Camino.

I routinely walk alone, on many untraveled and solitary caminos. I have had about 6 or 7 incidents of flashing over the years, none of them on solitary caminos, BTW, all on well-traveled routes. I have reported these incidents to the police and I have done my best to get rid of the feeling of disgust. Though Spain and Portugal may not have criminal laws that deal with some of these behaviors as many would prefer, we encourage reporting as the best way to raise awareness and maybe change attitudes. But we do not want the forum to become an echo chamber that paints an exaggerated picture of the camino and may instill unnecessary fears of walking alone. If you are afraid to walk alone, that’s fine, don’t walk alone. Many have taken that approach. But there are many of us who cannot envision walking a camino without long stretches of solitude, and for us the joys of that activity far outweigh the small risk of a bad outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back