• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino somewhere in the future, have some questions

Gytha

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk the Camino
When I finish my studies, I want to walk the Camino, but I have some questions.
I tried to read somewhere around but my English is not that good and I'm strugling with finding the exact answers.

When I watched the movie about the Camino, I saw that someone started in Paris, that is the place where I want to start too, because it is close to where I live and simple to come. But how do I start? How do I know how I have to walk? Is there some kind of map or do you have to find the route on your own?

Also I saw that there where passports, which collecting stamps. Where can you get them? And is that also the place where you're going to start walking?

What about camping in France and Spain? Can you camp anywhere you like or is it forbidden to sleep next to the road? I know it is forbidden in the Netherlands for wild camping, so that is why I'm asking :p

What are the most important things you have to carry with you on the road?

And how long are you walking the Camino from Paris to Santiago de Compostella?

I had more questions but for now I forgot them I'm afraid. So when I think of it again I'll ask it.

Sorry for the horrible English!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Gytha,

indeed plenty of questions...

The way you are looking for is the "Tours Route", you can find some specific information in the sub-board on this site.
In general, the ways in France are waymarked:
- either as GR (little white and red marks)
- or as Camino de Santiago (little yellow - often plastic - arrows, in Paris you might see some bronze scallops as well

The "booklet" is the 'créanciale' ( in French), you should get it either from a Jacobean organisation or from a typical starting point. (a church very often, or a specific "pilgrims office")

The best: buy a guide book in your language (or one you speak perfectly) - have a look and if you still have specific questions, ask them.
(f.i. where to start etc should be found in a guide book - I mean, they won't tell you where to start, but if you choose the town of XXX, in the guidebook you will find where the camino passes along to join it)

The Tours Route is the less frequented one, be prepared to be alone for many days!
If you prefer to find some company (especially of you age), start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, most people begin their camino there and continue on the Camino Frances (situated in Spain!)
On this camino, you won't need a tent: plenty of abordable pilgrims hostals.
On the Camino Frances, there will be plenty of people, but it might be reassuring to walk first with plenty of others than to be alone for weeks - especially if it is your first "big walk".

Your backbag should not be too heavy, so don't take too much stuff. But this alone might fill pages...
Oh, another important thing: good shoes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... I saw that someone started in Paris, that is the place where I want to start too, because it is close to where I live and simple to come. But how do I start? How do I know how I have to walk? Is there some kind of map or do you have to find the route on your own?

Oh !!!

That is absolutely wonderful !!!

You are in for the experience of a lifetime with the perfect attitude that you have already mastered even before your first step along the Way.

The totally "purist" starting point would be the altar of your local parish church, with a pilgrim's blessing from your parish priest.

Fact is though, you can start from your own front door.

I'm not sure how far from Paris nor in which direction you live, but I would personally suggest walking first towards either Chevreuse or Saint-Rémy lès Chevreuse, then making your Way from there towards Chartres and etc.

Of course, if you are north of Paris, then your first destination from home should be la Tour Saint-Jacques La Boucherie, then from there Notre Dame de Paris, and so on towards Chartres as above.

The Orléans route has the advantage of that lovely walk along the Loire, with the sheer disadvantage of about two-three days worth of suburbia out from Paris -- but of course, if that's more or less where you live in the first place, then that's the route you should follow.

Buen Camino !!!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What are the most important things you have to carry with you on the road?

And how long are you walking the Camino from Paris to Santiago de Compostella?

I'll try to answer these.

The things to carry are the items you will need to look after your health and nothing more. A change of clothes, a light sleeping bag (or bedding), toiletries, a water bottle, raingear, a hat, and a warm jacket. The most important item is a good pair of shoes that fit ... try on hundreds if needs be. Just think through the items you use every day. You'll need a backpack with frame 50 -60 liters to carry it all.

I would suggest planning on 20km per day. The distance from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago is 800 km. I don't know the distance from Paris.

If you do a google search for Via Turonensis or Voie de Tours, you'll find a fair amount of helpful information. Some helpful sites:

http://viaturonensis.pagesperso-orange.fr/index.htm

http://idf.ffrandonnee.fr/708/html/le-gr-655.aspx

http://www.compostelle-tours.org/index.html

http://www.compostelle2000.org

http://www.compostelle28.org (very useful for the western route via Chartres)

http://chemincompostelle.over-blog.com

There are far fewer pilgrim facilities on this route, especially in the early stages, so you don't always have so many options for stopping when you like, and it's generally more expensive than, say, the Camino Frances or the Le Puy route.

This thread has some very useful info:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/starting-from-paris-in-december.18311/

EDIT A forum member did Paris to St. Jean via Orleans last year in 44 days, with a couple of rest days, but he walked some very long stages, too. His blog:

http://www.carolusperegrinator.blogspot.com/2013/05/le-chemin-de-tours.html

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back