• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino Vasco during Semana Santa - Updated plan and seeking feedback

WestKirsty

Time of past OR future Camino
Next up: Viejo/Olvidado
Buenos dias! A few years ago I posted here with the idea to walk the Camino Vasco during Semana Santa 2020. That didn't happen for obvious reasons but I'm really thinking of trying for it again this year. I spent a week on the Camino Frances over the Christmas break and loved it! I also walked from Santo Domingo to Haro so did the final stage of the Vasco in reverse. And now I can't help but plan to complete the route, the sooner the better.

I've been looking through the threads here and the usual helpful websites. I think accommodation might be an issue as it looks like the albergues along this route were closed in 2021 (except Vitoria) and no news yet for this year. I've also found some of the websites of smaller pensions listed on the Gronze site are no longer active (boo Covid!). I know Semana Santa is a busy/expensive time for lodging in Spain (I live in the Basque country) so want to try and reserve accommodation soon. If closer to the date it looks like the albergues will be open, I'll cancel.

I've found some reasonably priced rooms in some places but other places are pricey! This is the itinerary I've put together based on where I can get reasonably priced rooms. I was wondering if anyone had any insights on this idea - particularly the long day 3? From what I've read, the route to Beasin is relatively easy so I'm hoping that day would be doable. I have walked that distance a few times before...I'm just not sure about the terrain!

Day 1: Irun to Hernani (25km)
Day 2: Hernani to Tolosa (19km)
Day 3: Tolosa to Zegama (39km)
Day 4: Zegama to Salvatierra/Agurain (22km)
Day 5: Salvatierra/Aguurain to Vitoria (28km)
Day 6: Vitoria to La Puebla de Arganzon (19km)
Day 7: La Puebla de Arganzon to Brinas (27km)
Day 8: Brinas to Haro (3.5km) (and train back home to Bilbao). *Side note: I was in Haro a few weeks ago so don't feel the need to revisit it again so soon. And I found a cheaper room in Brinas!

Any feedback on the plan would be greatly appreciated!
K

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Any feedback on the plan would be greatly appreciated!

Not to throw you a curve ball, and Semana Santa might be too early for this alternative, but a few years ago I walked the Saiatz alternative on the Vasco Interior, which joins up with the official Vasco in Zegama. It was absolutely marvilloso.

Info on this thread.

And here is my live thread

Either way you go, it is a marvelous camino. We took the alternative because the first few stages out of Irún on the regular route have a lot of asphalt. My body tolerates ascents much better than asphalt!

With regards to the stages you propose, I’m not going to be much help because not only did we walk the first couple of days on a different route, but we also went from Vitoria to Santo Domingo instead of to Burgos, because of time constraints.

We stayed in the pensión in Zegama attached to the excellent restaurant, or at least this was the situation before covid. It was really kind of a foodie place, way above my standards. And the pensión was very nice, but there is now an albergue. In case you are inclined to albergues.

Vitoria was a beautiful surprise for me, so I was glad we had walked beyond to Salvatierra to Alegría, so we would have a short day into Vitoria. We were able to have an excellent meal, explore the old town, and take the fascinating tour of the cathedral, which takes you down below and explains the engineering feats involved both in the original construction and the recent repairs. But since you live close, you may already know it or can easily get back to visit when you are in “tourist mode.”

@C clearly also walked recently, in fall 2019 with her daughters. Her thread.

Buen camino, Laurie

Not to throw you a curve ball, and Semana Santa might be too early for this alternative, but a few years ago I walked the Saiatz alternative on the Vasco Interior, which joins up with the official Vasco in Zegama. It was absolutely marvilloso.

Info on this thread.

And here is my live thread

Either way you go, it is a marvelous camino. We took the alternative because the first few stages out of Irún on the regular route have a lot of asphalt. My body tolerates ascents much better than asphalt!

With regards to the stages you propose, I’m not going to be much help because not only did we walk the first couple of days on a different route, but we also went from Vitoria to Santo Domingo instead of to Burgos, because of time constraints.

We stayed in the pensión in Zegama attached to the excellent restaurant, or at least this was the situation before covid. It was really kind of a foodie place, way above my standards. And the pensión was very nice, but there is now an albergue. In case you are inclined to albergues.

Vitoria was a beautiful surprise for me, so I was glad we had walked beyond to Salvatierra to Alegría, so we would have a short day into Vitoria. We were able to have an excellent meal, explore the old town, and take the fascinating tour of the cathedral, which takes you down below and explains the engineering feats involved both in the original construction and the recent repairs. But since you live close, you may already know it or can easily get back to visit when you are in “tourist mode.”

@C clearly also walked recently, in fall 2019 with her daughters. Her thread.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks so much for your reply! I had read your threads about the alternative route when I started researching this trip and looked into it as well. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find accommodation that is reasonable along that route. I also found a Casa Rual you mentioned in the thread requires a min. of 2 nights during Semana Santa.

I've already got a reservation for the pension in Zegama and great to read about the restaurant! I'll look into the albergue as well and see if it will be open then.

Thanks again!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back