• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino with 6week preparation?

j.Martin

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to do the Camino in July 2015, having never done it before.
Hello & Greetings All :)

I recently had the idea of walking the Camino this summer starting mid to late June, aiming to arrive in Santiago before July 25th - only now I have done some research & I'm wondering if I'm naive, or am I just plain crazy?
Is it possible with just 6 weeks to prepare?
I have never done the Camino before, but t 31 I think I'm reasonably fit (well, sort of), & have some experience of hiking around the UK so I already have most of the kit I would need... Is it possible I can pull this off without it spoiling the adventure, or would some advise that more time is needed to prepare?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...Is it possible with just 6 weeks to prepare?...

I had 6 weeks to prepare for my wedding ;-) Preparing for the Camino is easy in comparison! Real life jokes aside, you will be fine with 6 weeks to go!
Buen Camino, SY

Welcome J, yes six weeks will be plenty time, just get your gear, decide where to start the just put one foot in front of the other and head for Santiago. You will love it.
Wishing you a Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ahaha! & thank you both, seems I am amongst good company here :)
I will take my hand of the mission abort button now!

Here is a link to an eight week preparation program from the Australian Two Day Walk site. With a bit of adaptation, it will give you an idea of what physical preparation you might be able to achieve in the time that you have available.

... seems I am amongst good company here :) I will take my hand of the mission abort button now!

Yes and yes, and feel free to post any last minute-emergencies enquiries here. We are here to help ;-) SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I recently had the idea of walking the Camino this summer starting mid to late June, aiming to arrive in Santiago before July 25th - only now I have done some research & I'm wondering if I'm naive, or am I just plain crazy?
I have never done the Camino before, but t 31 I think I'm reasonably fit (well, sort of), & have some experience of hiking around the UK so I already have most of the kit I would need... Is it possible I can pull this off without it spoiling the adventure, or would some advise that more time is needed to prepare?

Hi, you will be fine. Listen to your body that's important. I wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

No you are not naive...just lucky to get to walk the Camino. My first trip I had only 4 weeks and hadn't backpacked for twenty years. I had to buy everything, research the trip and plan travel. Got it done and had a fantastic Camino. I just recently walked the Via de la Plata and had only two weeks time to get ready. Of four caminos, I only trained briefly for one. I am 61, not in great shape and didn't have any trouble or blisters. Just listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard at the beginning. Get a good guide book and use this site to get all the info you need on equipment and advice. You will have a great Camino.

"What was I thinking?! Am I crazy?" moments happen for most people at some point along the way, whether one has trained or not. And for a lot of people (myself included) life's too full, and there's neither the possibility nor opportunity to train. But so far so good. As others have said, listen to your body--and don't override what it's telling you!
And it helps to remember that no matter how far removed our lives are from nature, as humans we did evolve to walk long distances. The body and heart know how to do this and revel in it (eventually...give them a week or so!) ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I met a young guy on my first camino who only decided about 6 days before to go! He did have blisters by Orisson! Wear in your boots/shoes as much as you can! It will be one of the best decisions you ever make and be warned its addictive! The first day took me 9 1/2 hours but I'm not far off twice your age but I was sooo happy! As above just listen to your body and enjoy.

Excellent stuff! & thanks for the responses :)
I want to keep my start date flexible due to other commitments, but unsure if that's wise being peak season & booking accommodation. My plan is to begin in St JP / mid June - how long can I safely leave it before I book in JP ?

& any other heads ups on potential pit-falls people have had planning last minute?
Cheers j,m.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
My name is Gay, I’m new to the forum as I’m walking my first Camino, the Camino Ingles beginning the 20th of June 2024 and wondering if there are any AA meetings along that route
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...
Hi walking the Norte starting in late August. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has/is starting in August.
Hi, I’m new to the group as I’m finally hiking my first El Camino this month, El Camino Ingles, beginning June 21, 2024

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back