• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking The Camino Without Training. Fool's Errand?

This feels like the right year for me to walk the Camino-- much change in my life, and many "What's it all about?" questions to chew on. But I'm feeling fear, because I'm not in the best shape of my life.

If it's possible to "train as I go," I'd really like to get on the road in May-- before "peak heat," and before I postpone this again. Is this realistic?
  • I'm carrying a lot of extra weight, the kind I can't leave at home, or send ahead.
  • Apart from that, I'm in good health. Blessed with strong legs, rarely hurting.
  • Background of physical activity-- walking, hiking, cycling (including 5-6 centuries)
  • Uphills have always been difficult, but I usually make it to the top. (Just not fast or pretty)
  • I have plenty of time. Could walk 10km a day if I needed to.
This isn't an easy thing to write about. I'm carrying a lot of shame along with the pounds. But there's so much wisdom and support in this Forum, I'm hopeful people here may have some answers.

Thanks much
This feels like the right year for me to walk the Camino-- much change in my life, and many "What's it all about?" questions to chew on. But I'm feeling fear, because I'm not in the best shape of my life.

If it's possible to "train as I go," I'd really like to get on the road in May-- before "peak heat," and before I postpone this again. Is this realistic?
  • I'm carrying a lot of extra weight, the kind I can't leave at home, or send ahead.
  • Apart from that, I'm in good health. Blessed with strong legs, rarely hurting.
  • Background of physical activity-- walking, hiking, cycling (including 5-6 centuries)
  • Uphills have always been difficult, but I usually make it to the top. (Just not fast or pretty)
This isn't an easy thing to write about. I'm carrying a lot of shame along with the pounds. But there's so much wisdom and support in this Forum, I'm hopeful people here may have some answers.

Thanks much
  • Joe, please don't be so hard on yourself. If you only walk a few miles a day, you just might find some peace. You don't need to walk the whole Camino, either.
  • Don't compare yourself to anyone on the path. I witnessed some folks who walked very slowly and for short days. It was their Camino and I would be willing to bet their experience was as meaningful as anyone's. That's the miracle of "The Way."
  • Of course, I agree that a sit-down with your doc is extremely important before you embark on this adventure.
  • I am sad that you use the word "shame." Here's hoping that you are able to "do" the Camino and shed that word from your vocabulary, especially in reference to yourself.
  • Best wishes and "Buen Camino, Peregrino!"

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks much
Oh, and one more thing, Joe: Make sure your boots are a full size larger than your regular footwear. :>)

" This isn't an easy thing to write about. I'm carrying a lot of shame along with the pounds "
Don't worry mate , I started green as May at 120kg plus 15kg pack , no training or sense of direction
you have good legs ? that's the first requirement , the rest is mere accessories
the first week was hell , there were six distinct body parts which hurted ,
I promise you pain and pleasure , but the pain will come first
it come for everybody

I was told by a lung doctor ,at 62 I had the lung capacity of a 95 year old man
( heavy smoker since I was 13 and gassed with chlorine half a dozen times )
crossed Roncevalles one step at the time huffing , puffing and smoking all along
did 1600 Km fromVezelay and was a slim marching beast at the end , carrying a slimmed down pack

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks much
You're starting in May? That's several weeks away. You cans tarting walking daily now. And if you can take your time and walk shorter daily distances, I do t see why you can't walk the Camino this year. You've been walking your whole life! (I got some good advice about the Camino from a guy who walked his first one a year ago. Until he got on a plane and walked it, he was a literal couch potato! He was we over 100 lbs overweight, and had never exercised a day in his life. But since then, he's lost the majority of that weight and has changed his entire lifestyle.) I'd say your knee and ankle joints might take a bit if a pounding, so plan ahead and take along some ace wraps, etc. Do as much as you can without killing yourself, take breaks when needed, leave your shame behind you (whether at home before you begin or on the trail as your walking). And remember through the tough times that you came here for change, and change occurs in our discomfort. I begin with my daughter in May for our first Camino. Maybe we'll see you there?! I wish you the best, whatever you decide.

Thanks much
Hi Joe, I will be walking it at end or April or beginning of May and I did not train either. I am overweight and I do have knee and feet pain so I will have to go as far as I can without hurting myself each days - As long as I am in Santiago on June 20th I can go as slow as I want to. If you have the time and the right gear I say go ahead- it is not a race anyway. On hill days, do shorter days and on flat days or on days you are feeling great just go a bit further. The important is to listen to your body. Take breaks just before you think you will need one and stay hydrated. I am expecting my first week - 2 weeks to be ``somewheat challenging but after a while your body shall be used to it and it should get easier. Good luck!

I was in your position on my Camino. I was overweight, never hiked anywhere before, and I also smoked so perhaps you can get some insight from my experience. You can train as you go, I did it and if I can do it then anyone can.

The stage from SJPD to Roncesvalles was hard, very hard. I had to stop twice . I stayed at Oresson and at the refuge before it.

Half of the first stage to Roncesvalles is all up hill and my legs turned to jelly to the point where I couldn't walk ten steps without having to stop but fortunately the first refuge wasn't too far. The next day and the walk to Oresson was a little easier but still difficult, and the walk from Oresson to Roncesvalles was easier but had a few surprising moments.

I went from struggling to walk 6'ish miles up hill on the first day to walking 30+ miles and when I came home none of my trousers fit me anymore :)

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks much

Hi Joe

Like any such adventure getting in some training will be a good thing - but you don't have to. My wife and I were very overweight - I was 130kgs (280 pounds?) but over a 7 month period managed to lose around 25 kgs and that was just from eating right and exercise and this was all for the Camino.

That training certainly helped - but we still were not fast. Average for us was around 15km a day - so we were normally up at 7 and walked until 2-2.30 before finding somewhere to stay. Some days we walked 20 or 25 km, some days we walked 10km - depending on how we felt, weather etc.

I would say that as long as you started doing some walking now - start slow maybe 3km and slowly build that up until you are doing 8-10km a walk. That should be ebough to help you out.

Day 1 will be tough - so consider splitting it in your case so that you aren't destroyed on the first day! After that things get a bit easier, by week 3 when you encounter the second major (and highest) climb you should be in a good position to do it reasonably easy.

In the end if you have the time like we did - just take it easy! Buen Camino!

Go

Thanks much
for it. As one elderly pilgrim said, "not too fast, not too far". I did my first Camino (CP) last year. 60 years old, 275lbs. Averaged 12 miles per day and had no problems. .

Definitely start in Roncesvalles... or somewhere on the Spanish side. It's nuts to climb 1000 meters (or whatever) on your first day, even if you're in great shape.
I strongly disagree. I would suggest that it is only "nuts" if someone doesn't want to do it, but does so anyway. For those who want to do it, it is no more "nuts" to do so than to walk the 790 kms from Roncevalles to Santiago de Compostela, when all one needs to do is walk from Sarria for the final 100 kms. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks much

On my first camino I was (and still am) about 8 kgs heavier than my BMI perfect weight and not in any way fit. The best way to do this, if you've not got time to train daily before you go - and it has to be daily, IMO, doing a 10-20km walk every weekend doesnt prepare you for the day-in and day-out of walking, just ease yourself in starting with low kms in the first week, extending out to Burgos, once you're at Burgos you'll be ready for 25-30k days - not before.

My first camino started with, what at the time looked like hard days, but looking back were anything but after some of the high km last days, when you're in shape. I went from St Pied de Port>Valcarlos>Espinal>Zubiri>Pamplona>Zariguegui>Ciraqui>Estella - A full week to get to Estella! After this I pushed myself a bit too hard and fast, the run from Los Arcos to Logrono is pretty long and I hurt myself walking at other peoples pace.

Slow, steady, frequent breaks (I still break for 15 every 90 minutes and air out my feet as well as an hour for lunch) and your fitness will build - don't walk at others pace, you can face injuries.

.After some more thinking , a piece of advice , which you might ignore if you wish
.....the SHOES are the most important thing , they must work well with your feet
take them one size too large , broad at the toes , the broad part just before the toes must be at ease
modern shoes in synthetic do not loosen themselves like the leather ones did
your feet will swell somewhat , don't worry it get back to normal after a couple of months rest

for most of the way , low walking shoes are fine ,I saw no real need for anything much above the ankles
in fact it muscled the tendons more and weighted less
but the sole must be really thick , the stony Spanish roads are not just a poetic image
if they look flash , that's not good ,
plenty of design sport shoes were abandoned along the path .
strangely only one mostly
I saw a couple of guys walking with their work shoes and very happy with it

If you have plenty of time, then absolutely yes. I did it. Not proud, but proof that it's possible. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks much

Take your time, you will be ok, just remember it is not a race even though some think so. We're in our 60's, from Florida, training minimal and I had a heart attack in 2005 ... we suffered for the first 7-10 days but we made it. We trekked the entire Camino Frances. This year we are training, lost weight and just went through a complete cardiological revue with testing to make sure we'll be ok...lol a little late but it gives us peace of mind. oh on other thing, you will lose weight and gain cardio health from doing it.
Buen Camino !!!!

Thanks much

back in 2006 i was overweight ,29 years old ,never hiked, never traveled, never used a backpack
went to leon with a backpack that was 15 kilos walked to santiago (300 km) and didn't get a blister , tendinitis or backpain.
i never train for a camino , butt i have been on the camino and after a couple of 100 km got severe tendinitis because i walked
to fast to see pilgrim friends or to get to the albergue to be sure to get a bed.
my advice start with short days of walk and slowly increase the km .
have enough free days and/or short days (10-15km) , drink enough water when you walk .
walk you're camino enjoy the walk because thats the most
importent thing about the camino and it wil not be finishing in santiago.
see ,feel ,listen , share the camino. let you're mind wander ,think about life ,friends, problems ,god ,etc..
get as manny communal meals as possible forget about the pilgrims menu.
in june i will be on the camino for the 10the time and still i learn new things ,see things on the camino i didn't see before.
and still i don't train for long distance hikes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
  • Joe, please don't be so hard on yourself. If you only walk a few miles a day, you just might find some peace. You don't need to walk the whole Camino, either.
  • Don't compare yourself to anyone on the path. I witnessed some folks who walked very slowly and for short days. It was their Camino and I would be willing to bet their experience was as meaningful as anyone's. That's the miracle of "The Way."
  • Of course, I agree that a sit-down with your doc is extremely important before you embark on this adventure.
  • I am sad that you use the word "shame." Here's hoping that you are able to "do" the Camino and shed that word from your vocabulary, especially in reference to yourself.
  • Best wishes and "Buen Camino, Peregrino!"
I agree with Elizabeth. I am currently on the Camino and yes it was challenging without training but I believe the Challenge is that my bag is about 12 kilos which is way too much. Also, to help you out, you could use the luggage transport to Roncesvalles for that section. Now I wish my pride did not get on the way.

If you can, I will recommend to either reserve your bed in Roncesvalles 14 days before on the web or arrive before 3 in Roncesvalles. About 60 people got turned away on the day I arrived.

Also, I will recommend you make Reservation in Zubiri and or the next town for 2nd stage as I arrived just before 3 pm in Zubiri and there were no accommodation left in the entire town and the next ones. Over 50 that I am aware of including myself had to take a taxi to Pamplona and there albergues were full as well, so many of us ended up in hotels. The trail, the people, the view and the journey is worth it. Keep strong, pack light, make some reservations and take your time. Don't forget rain gear!

If Orisson is full, try Gite Antton. Very nice. They will pick you up from Orisson and drive you back there the next morning so you can continue to Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino.

So many different perspectives from so many who have successfully walked the Camino. This shows you that no matter what shape you are in when you start, with a combination of common sense, respecting your body's limits and luck, you can get all the way to Santiago.

We haven't heard much from some of the many who don't make it though. I've met a lot over the years and I think they typically fall into two categories -- those who had some sort of acute injury, like a twisted knee, broken bone, sprain, etc; and those who just overdid it, decided to "power through", and paid the price later on.

For that second group, it's usually the case that a non-physical event makes you stop listening to your body and then causes big injuries -- trying to keep up with others, not wanting to let your partner down, not wanting to separate from your camino family, having a return plane ticket that doesn't allow for rest days, etc. For anyone who is walking the Francés from SJPP for the first time, I would say -- if you can, add an extra week to your "schedule" and do not be afraid to spin off from your group. If you surprise yourself and arrive as expected, then you have time to walk to Finisterre and Muxia. But if you need the rest, you will be able to take it, to give your body the healing time it needs to get back in walking mode. I've been walking caminos for way too many years now and I am constantly surprising myself -- some years I get to Santiago early and am able to walk on to the coast, and some years, I have taken those extra days and used them along the Camino when it seemed right. And one last suggestion -- reservations are like a noose around your neck and can be oh so bad for your body.

Buen camino everyone, Laurie

hi
i made mistakes and paid the price on the camino
one time i walked really fast because i wanted to keep up with some people i liked
and after 300 km got severe tendinitis.
one time i got sucked up in the rat race and i quit the camino in astorga
i didn´t get a blister or back pain etc , i just had enough of the race.
my advice
walk you're own pace you meet the same people a long the way or
you meet a lot of other great people.
also walk a few days alone and not with a group or a partner, it gives you more time
to reflect and also to meet new people , because when you're in a group or with a partner
most of the time you will only talk to them and miss out on a lot of nice people.
when you walk alone people are also more likely to talk to you.
and i think when you arrive in santiago its bitter sweet ,
you will feel joy but you also will realise its over ,
so enjoy your time on the camino talk to people ,see, feel,taste and let you're mind roam.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks again everyone for the thoughtful advice. You got me "over the hump" of making the decision, and I fly out tomorrow.

A lot of fear coming up (why did I look at that time-lapse video over Pyrenees?!) I'll keep taking deep breaths, and count on you, other pilgrims, my grit and a higher power to get me over the humps between here and Santiago.

Thanks again everyone for the thoughtful advice. You got me "over the hump" of making the decision, and I fly out tomorrow.

A lot of fear coming up (why did I look at that time-lapse video over Pyrenees?!) I'll keep taking deep breaths, and count on you, other pilgrims, my grit and a higher power to get me over the humps between here and Santiago.

I've seen at least 5 of those time-lapse videos... I just can't stop watching them.

Hi Joe, I thought I'd reply without looking at what others have said to you, as I want to give you my unadulterated views...

Firstly, I think that the most important issue is how motivated you are to do it - more than any physical preparation, it will be your level of desire to keep going that will determine your success. That's probably more true if you are unfit and physically unprepared.

Secondly, if you go and are unfit, then don't be unrealistic about what you can achieve on a day to day basis. Don't try to walk further than you can. You will get fitter, the longer you walk.

Lastly, there is a mountain of practical advice on this forum - have a look around and take from it what you think might work for you and what you think you're comfortable with, and disregard the rest. There are lots of different opinions on how to go about this gargantuan task, many of which are presented as facts - in my opinion, everybody has to figure out their own best way to tackle this beast - and you should be prepared to revise your approach in an ongoing fashion, based on how things work out for you along the way. Some examples - there is no one "Camino" - the "Camino" doesn't start in SJPDP - you could equally start a few weeks further back from somewhere in France, or you could start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona - both good options for somebody who is unfit and feels less well physically prepared that they'd like to be, and doesn't want to start on day one with a massive hill! Or you could walk a different path altogether to the Camino Frances - there are many choices. Another example of an opinion which should, in my view, be critically assessed, is one which has the camino broken into "stages". Guidebook writers created the "stages" - there are lots of other places to stop or start, and you will probably feel more comfortable walking shorter days, at least in the beginning.

In terms of practical advice - I'm sure others have said much of this already, but the following are a few things I'd consider doing - things that worked for me: get some light weight shoes to walk in and break them in before starting; use walking poles - they will save your knees and make downhill and uphill sections much easier (YouTube can show you how); take as little as possible with you, you only need one change of clothing plus what you're wearing. That's just what worked for me though!

It sounds like the Camino might be a good thing for you Joe - have fun, and enjoy the people you meet along the way - its a beautiful experience! I'd love to hear how you got along afterwards.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
D

Thanks much

Did my first (Frances) last year at age 61, 50 lbs overweight, off the couch with virtually no training, and I survived just fine and will be back with my wife this fall for another one. I worried until I looked at the guidebook and realized that there are places to stay along nearly the entire route literally every few kilometres, and if I was really tired, I wouldn't necessarily have to walk more than another hour at most before I found somewhere to stay. It turned out that this was rarely necessary, but it was always an option. It's your walk. Forget the agendas and stages and schedules, and just start putting one foot in front of the other, and everything else will take care of itself, just as it has on the Camino for 1,000 years. And never forget that on that "10 km day" you are walking 10 km more than most people, and there is certainly no shame in that! And most of all, enjoy doing YOUR Camino!!!!!

Hey Joe,

Great news that you decided to go for it. Hope this acts as a quick confidence boost.

When I started from SJPdP two years ago I was 41, weighed 270lbs (123kgs) had had a knee operation 6 months earlier, was on blood pressure medication and had done just one 6 mile walk as training. The first day was tough, but it's tough for pretty much everyone who isn't a mountain goat and from then on it just got better every day. I ate and drank like.......well like someone who weighs 270lbs and by the end I was over 14lbs (8kgs) lighter and felt better physically and emotionally than I ever have before. Not saying it's the right way to do it, but it can be done.

Great advice above, especially about poles. I would add one more thing thing that I didn't see mentioned previously; when you're out on the trail talk to people! It's amazing how much more quickly the kilometre markers tick by with a bit of company and if my experience is anything to go by it will do wonders for your insecurities, not only will you discover lovely people but you'll also learn that almost everyone has their hang ups. I ended up walking with a 21 year Dutch girl who as well as being half my age was also less than half my weight, that didn't stop her from having hang ups about her appearance and yet on the camino none of it matters, we're all in it together.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Joe...you should be on the Camino today so just wanted to say 'good for you' on your walk. You have been an inspiration to a bunch of us.

bon chance!

Thanks much

Get medical advise before you go and listen to the advise given. The camino is not a walk in the park buen camino

Hey everyone-- just want to send a quick update and thank you.

I'm getting ready to continue on from Burgos, and it's been a good Camino-- even the hard days, like the one over the Pyrenees. My body's been burnt, bitten, and sore, but it's getting stronger. Even lighter-- despite beer, KAS, and tortillas.

If you'd like to see more / come along, I'm posting notes and photos here.

Thanks again to everyone who's supported me-- and other scared, would be pilgrims-- get out here. You rock!

Hi Joe,
Thanks for sharing your blog posts - I loved reading them and I hope you will continue to share them. It is a great reminder of how one evolves along the Camino. On a different thread you asked about places to stay between Burgos and Leon. We really liked Posada Emebed in Castrojeriz.
http://www.emebedposada.com/en/

It was a splurge - we booked the cheapest room ($65), but a very nice respite after an especially long day. We arrived in late evening and the young woman at the door looked surprised and said most pilgrims arrive much earlier in the day. THEN she asked us if we wanted our clothes washed and gave us a basket to put them in. She brought them back folding and smelling like they hadn't been worn for a couple of hundred miles. I know a real pilgrim probably always washes their own clothes, but it only cost 6 Euros and it was well worth it.

I remember it being a wonderful place and worth the splurge, but I may have been delirious over the laundry. One learns to appreciate small things along the Camino. :)

Looking forward to hearing more!
Fresh Start.JPG

Hi there. So this happened late Monday

View media item 6660
Don't know if many of the people who reached out with support are still following this thread...but THANK YOU to all who helped make this experience possible.

This Camino didnt answer everything for me. I'm not sure what's next in life, or even on this trip. But it's certainly helped me learn more about the strengths inside me, and the kindness of others. And KAS. Definitely learned about that too!

Thanks again, and much love,

Joe

Hey Joe,

Could not be happier about this. I've been following your blog posts and enjoyed seeing you grow into your camino.

I think it's only a very lucky few who arrive in the square in Santiago with all their questions answered but it's a lesson in resilience and self belief that I've found incredibly valuable over the two years since I finished.

And KAS Naranja is the best, got me through some dark days when my camino family bet me I couldn't finish the walk without drinking another coke.

BTW as of my posting the picture in your link is not appearing. Says "Camino De Santiago Forum Error."

Congratulations.

Rob.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just looked at your blog @joecamino - What a fantastic journey! Congratulations!! But that clown fountain! :eek::eek::eek: Enjoy the rest of your journey, wherever it takes you!

Thanks much
I walked with 300 pounds on a 5' 10 frame. Pure adrenaline got me to roncevelles stopping in orrison for the nite cutting day 1 in half. Highly recommend. But it's just one foot in front of the other and you will learn how to walk uphill, keep eyes on trail by your feet and keep a slow pace. Boom your at the top. Your body will acclimate

Thanks much
If you want to succeed in life... beware of your belittling yourself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

View media item 6660
Don't know if many of the people who reached out with support are still following this thread...but THANK YOU to all who helped make this experience possible.

This Camino didnt answer everything for me. I'm not sure what's next in life, or even on this trip. But it's certainly helped me learn more about the strengths inside me, and the kindness of others. And KAS. Definitely learned about that too!

Joe
Thanks Joe for posting your blog. I enjoyed your humour, insight, great photographs and honesty. I also like your travel blog format - very easy to read. I will set out on my Camino in September 2018 (just over a year) and your blog has really inspired me! Thanks again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After 3 Camino's I saw many breakdown both mentally and Physically, I was overweight on the first two but like you I was in no hurry had two months the last I had three months. Take it slow the first week will get you into shape, take rest days and do not try to keep up or slow down for others, you can meet up that night or the next day or two. rest every two hours look after your feet and do not follow the stages in guide books stop when you want or find a nice town or see some people that you have not seen for a few days and catchup. I walked 30 plus days and also 10k days just go with the flow. Buen Camino. oh I am 68 and did my first walk in 2013, followed by 2014 and again last year.
And as the year draws to a close, I am going back in March 2018 never say never...

After the first Camino I drew up a pack list for my next one and will stick with Ill fit by the time I get to Santiago.Walkng is easy for people who do manual work it’s the office workers who struggle, well done on your Camino’s at your age Respect ✊

After 3 Camino's I saw many breakdown both mentally and Physically, I was overweight on the first two but like you I was in no hurry had two months the last I had three months. Take it slow the first week will get you into shape, take rest days and do not try to keep up or slow down for others, you can meet up that night or the next day or two. rest every two hours look after your feet and do not follow the stages in guide books stop when you want or find a nice town or see some people that you have not seen for a few days and catchup. I walked 30 plus days and also 10k days just go with the flow. Buen Camino. oh I am 68 and did my first walk in 2013, followed by 2014 and again last year.

Spot on ... 45 fabulous days at our pace. Listen to Trevorcc and you will be oh so glad.

Slow Stroller on the Camino

Hey dude, go for it, the walk from SJPdP to Roncesvailes on the Napolean route may be tough , but worth it, we stayed at Orrison, still tough, and I can relate to the extra baggage , I had to order an X large belt for my pack lol, tired, sore, and dragging into Roncesvailes late afternoon, after taking the steep downhill, do it just do it , no regrets

As a soon to be 60 YO overweight male that is working hard to correct the overweight portion of that statement let me add this:
I began walking about 3 miles a day locally to both train and loose weight more rapidly. After the first day my calf muscles were so unbelievably tight I could barely walk the next morning. I walk a lot in my daily life (dog and I am on my feet all day at work) but a rigorous pace (3 MPH) took its toll, despite the walk itself coming relatively easy. Now I have completed three of these walks and already a vast improvement in my calf muscles not tightening. So my answer would be definitely at least try a couple "longer" walks and see how your body reacts. Sure you can most likely walk your way into good walking shape on the Camino but the notion of having to sit out a day or two every other day from being sidelined by something you could have whipped into shape prior would be a bummer. For sure after my first serious walk of just under 3 miles in 50 minutes I paid dearly. No way I could have done another 3 the next day. Now I can. It took less than a week of walking to overcome this. Just be sure no ill surprises arise by making your very first long walk one on the Camino. Just my ¢2 and I have never done a Camino so take it for what it is worth.

I am 69. I use to run half marathons, and still do 100 mile bike rides and 5 to 10K runs plus hiking. One of the things I learned as a "master runner (old foggy)" was that as you get older the amount of human growth hormone and other hormones decline. These are the things that allow you to quickly recover from over-exercising, i.e. repair the damage you do to your body.

Since you have less, you need to really work harder at recovery than a much younger person. When I would initially train for half marathons in my early 60's, I learned that I needed a full rest day a week plus a very light exercise day a week, otherwise I would get overuse injuries. I now need two rest days a week to remain strong and healthy.

A Camino is much like training for a half marathon in that involves multiple hard exercise days per week lasting a month or more. If you are not in great shape or you do not take it very easy and listen to what your body is telling you, then you will likely injure yourself, unless you focus on recovery each day.

Most folks don't understand what the keys are to recovery. They are (1) proper nutrition and eaten at the right time, (2) lots of sleep, (3) the proper amount of rest days for your body and its condition each week, (4) stretching, (5) proper hydration, and (6) a good massage (self or professional) when muscles get tight.

Now some advice for runners that also is good advice for Camino Pilgrims:
"....Research has shown that if you consume carbohydrates within the first 30 minutes post run, your body will store up to three times more glycogen than if you wait a few hours to eat. And that's not all folks: Science has also taught us that when you consume a little protein with a little more carbohydrate (in a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio), more glycogen is stored (versus just carbohydrates alone). Endurance recovery drinks were born from these studies and they are an easy, convenient means to getting in the right balance of fuel at the right time...." (diet protein shakes and chocolate milk also work in a pinch)

Runners World article on recovery drinks

If you do that above at your lunch break and immediately after you finish your walk for the day (prior to showering and checking in to you place you are sleeping at) you will find that you recover more quickly and are in less pain the next day of your Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks much
HI, Did you end up going ? I am about to go on my 4th Camino in September . I just love them...

View media item 6660

Joe

Joe: Congratulations! Well done.

I like your blog/post over hear https://findpenguins.com/joesgoes/trip/the-camino

I think that you were very wise to both use a rental bicycle (Honey Badger) and your feet as a way of balancing the stress on your body and keeping to your schedule.

You also in the beginning took a few light work out days of just 5 to 15 km.

I also agree that Burgos was my favorite city, but Leon was next along the way. Taking days off is very important.

Doing such an endurance event smartly shows real wisdom. Well done.

Thanks much
Just walk you will be fit by the time you get there. It’s an easy walk if you walk at your own pace.

Take your time, you will be ok, just remember it is not a race even though some think so. We're in our 60's, from Florida, training minimal and I had a heart attack in 2005 ... we suffered for the first 7-10 days but we made it. We trekked the entire Camino Frances. This year we are training, lost weight and just went through a complete cardiological revue with testing to make sure we'll be ok...lol a little late but it gives us peace of mind. oh on other thing, you will lose weight and gain cardio health from doing it.
Buen Camino !!!!
and we finished our 2nd Frances ...two in 11 months. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry but I disagree. Not only disagree but I think it is irresponsible to do a long route Camino without training.

It has been my experience that most people will downplay their physical fitness. It's not unlike how much they drink or when they first had sex :)

This is not brain surgery. Do some training, learn your capabilities and adapt.

For what it's worth, I am 67 and I have done 7. At the end of March, I will be starting the Via de la Plata (I'm telling you this so you can avoid me :))

I have already starting training. In all honesty, I don't think ever I stopped from the last one.

Actually one of the things about the Camino that I value so much is the "voice from my shoulder". When I think about having that second desert or opening another bottle of wine, is that I think "okay do I really want to do this" as I like to keep my physical fitness.

I know that time is unbeatable and that I will only have so many years to undertake this adventure/pilgrimage/expression of life - whatever. However before you think I am too boring, I inevitably go with the second desert and the other bottle of wine :).

But I still think about it :)

However enough about me.

Do as much training as you can, learn how your body deals with extended walking, feel your body and its aches and pains and you will have a much better experience and a more positive interaction with others.

Trust me, I'm a doctor, though it's in business administration :)

Thanks much
My opinion is —> Don’t Think, Just Go !!!! Listen to body, rest when you need to, change your socks ALOT!!

And I would like to add, if you are starting in SJPP definitely reserve Orisson!! And just plan in Day 2 from Orisson to Roncevalles to be long! Take your time, enjoy the view!! Who cares what time you arrive in Roncevalles?? It’s not a race. Take your time, rest as needed, and then put one foot in front of the other. I PROMISE you, when your having a challenging day further down the Camino, you’ll look back on Day 2 and realize you got this!!! Don’t listen to the nay sayers. Just the beauty of the Pyrenees and the natural high of starting the Camino will carry you through!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's unwise to tackle any camino..especially the Frances without some training. My reason is brief...The first day is UP about 25kms over the Pyrenees. A far better option than the over rated over crowded Frances is the VDLP...dead flat for the first day and many subsequent days
The first day can be broken at Orrison...a great intro to the Camino. There is no such thing as stages ...they’re just suggestions. In fact, not keeping to them makes it easier to find a choice of accommodations. And don’t worry about training ...get out and walk ...that’s what you’ll be doing. P.S. walked my first Camino at 65, overweight and having a heart attack in my past. The mental part was the hardest. Planning my third for September. Enjoy !

A revelation for me was the maybe not so new way to describe what handicap means, sometimes you hear challenged. But the law maker said it’s not your condition that makes you handicapped but your environment. Meaning the surrounding circumstances, people and so on.
I know almost nobody that’s looks in the mirror and is happy, there is always something amiss. No matter what cloth size I wear I only can see the big girl.
Is it factual true ? Maybe maybe not. I know for some reasons I don’t see myself.
And funny thing is I am trained to see proportions.😳
So Joe all that weight issues did not stop you. All that training or lack of did not stop you.
See world: it’s not that, what makes us great.

Yes maybe a few pounds less better for your body, but maybe couple more pounds is what your soul needs or needed.

People are so quick to judge that often they don’t take the time to realy see.
In front of the cathedral in Santiago I met two guys about 35 years younger than I . We were all happy to have made it and they were saying they walked about the same way. So I said me too. The look I got. I did not mean to rain on there parade .So they said but we walked the last couple of days 40 ks. How silly is that?
Before the Camino this would have enraged me. But now I think 🤔. Not my problem if you need to limit yourself.
Whenever people make a comment about someone who is not the norm, they actually remark on something they do not like with themselves. It says more about them than you.
Is it not wonderful that the Camino is a place where we all can be the true version of ourselves.

Thanks much
I see that you posted this 2 years ago. I hope you did it. I am 70 and did not train but I tested myself before leaving. The only thing is that I did not know I could walk a lot more than what I had tested myself for. It ended up being a little boring because my granddaughter and I ended up arriviing at destination much earlier than wanted. I had reserved a few places along the way and also a train back towards Barcelona to visit friends at the end of our bit. On my second walk, I was more realistic and planned for more. One way to tackle the hills is to count a certain number of steps, stop, take in the beautiful scenery behind you and then go on again counting the same number of steps and repeating the routine. I started with 50 steps, later, I did 60, later, 70 and then 80. It worked nicely. Your weight? Please, we are all different. I am skinny as a rake and I don't like it. I eat like a horse. Different metabolism. Love yourself as you are; it will make people love you. Best wishes

Thanks much
I already feel the excitement for you, Joe. But I have one question - I see that you're adept at cycling, as anybody who has participated in a few century-rides would be. So why not do your camino on a bike? It's only because both my husband and I thought to walk the Camino, then decided on the bikes simply because we enjoy them so much - we did this back in 2013 (see cyclingsofties.blog for our mega experience). We do love walking, and he does have hankerings after walking from SJPdP to Pamplona one day. But in the meantime, I'm looking forward to riding the Norte this year - with him of course.

Whichever way you decide to do it, just go for it. Take your time at first, don't overdo things, and before you know it, you'll be wanting to do so much more. Check on the forum re any problems with feet, legs, and so on and you'll find a wealth of great advice on how to avoid them. Most of all - go, enjoy, and once you're back home start planning your next.

I already feel the excitement for you, Joe. But I have one question - I see that you're adept at cycling, as anybody who has participated in a few century-rides would be. So why not do your camino on a bike? It's only because both my husband and I thought to walk the Camino, then decided on the bikes simply because we enjoy them so much - we did this back in 2013 (see cyclingsofties.blog for our mega experience). We do love walking, and he does have hankerings after walking from SJPdP to Pamplona one day. But in the meantime, I'm looking forward to riding the Norte this year - with him of course.

Whichever way you decide to do it, just go for it. Take your time at first, don't overdo things, and before you know it, you'll be wanting to do so much more. Check on the forum re any problems with feet, legs, and so on and you'll find a wealth of great advice on how to avoid them. Most of all - go, enjoy, and once you're back home start planning your next.

This is an old thread, and I'm happy to report that Joe reported he had completed the Camino. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dave, thanks for letting folks know-- not that I mind the occasional note ;-) . And much thanks to all who posted with encouragements, questions, cautions (looking at you Kevin :).

Two years on I still find myself struggling with weight, with depression and regrets, and questions about "what's next"-- the same things I imagine many of you deal with. But I do look back on my Camino with smiles and pride-- and gratitude for lessons that still support me.

Does the road to my ideal weight seem far away? Yes, it really does, but then I remember the day I took the photo below-- so far away from Santiago-- and the way I made it there, day by day, slowly, one foot in front of the other. Even if never do another Camino, that has stayed with me.

So...thanks again to all here who've supported and loved me. I wish you all much joy and learning on any path you walk.

Dave, thanks for letting folks know-- not that I mind the occasional note ;-) . And much thanks to all who posted with encouragements, questions, cautions (looking at you Kevin :).

Two years on I still find myself struggling with weight, with depression and regrets, and questions about "what's next"-- the same things I imagine many of you deal with. But I do look back on my Camino with smiles and pride-- and gratitude for lessons that still support me.

Does the road to my ideal weight seem far away? Yes, it really does, but then I remember the day I took the photo below-- so far away from Santiago-- and the way I made it there, day by day, slowly, one foot in front of the other. Even if never do another Camino, that has stayed with me.

So...thanks again to all here who've supported and loved me. I wish you all much joy and learning on any path you walk.

View attachment 52498

I've missed ya, Joe :)

Hi, thank you for the note! I completed the CF in 2017, and did choose to ride a bike from Burgos to Leon My goal was getting across the Meseta faster, and also having another adventure along the way. It was a great ride and still challenging. I remember one tricky part a few hours out of Burgos when I really wished I had more mountain biking experience!

I hope you two have a lot of fun on the Norte! I walked one day of it after my CF, while visiting San Sebastian and Bilbao. Hope you've been training on hills, 'cuz it was a bitch! Best of luck! (Oh, and stay away from the cider unless you like it really dry)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, thank you for the note! I completed the CF in 2017, and did choose to ride a bike from Burgos to Leon My goal was getting across the Meseta faster, and also having another adventure along the way. It was a great ride and still challenging. I remember one tricky part a few hours out of Burgos when I really wished I had more mountain biking experience!

I hope you two have a lot of fun on the Norte! I walked one day of it after my CF, while visiting San Sebastian and Bilbao. Hope you've been training on hills, 'cuz it was a bitch! Best of luck! (Oh, and stay away from the cider unless you like it really dry)
Great to see you did the Camino, Joe. I've read elsewhere that it's hilly - can it be any hillier than the Pyrenees or O'Cobreiro? Perhaps we'll end up calling our adventure "The Walking Cyclists' Camino" 😆. We don't have mountain bikes so tend to keep to the roads rather than the path - experience of that can be a challenge in itself!

We found the Meseta difficult, not because of the terrain which wasn't too bad, but the fact that the lack of any shaded areas were very challenging.
Regarding your weight - something I've had an issue with for years because as soon as I manage to get some weight off, it creeps back on. I've learned to accept who I am, and the fact that I will never be my "ideal weight". Once you accept yourself as you are, warts and all, you can be happier in your body and even learn to love yourself without any of the hang-ups of not being how you imagine others think you should be. What I yearn for even more than a beautifully sculptured body is my youth back. All too often when we are young (in our thirties, forties, and even fifties) we don't think we're perfect but once those wrinkles start showing (I'm 71) we wonder why we made such a fuss! What I think I'm trying to say is "Enjoy yourself as you are, and you'll be happier in yourself" 😊.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks much
I drank waaay too much Vino to remember half of CF I introduced the No Vino No Camino tour 🍷🍷🍷You just need a good constitution 🤣

I suggest watching Six Ways to Santiago (http://caminodocumentary.org/) and follow the progress of Tomas:

"Tomás, 30-something, athletic and very charming, was torn between kite boarding on the coast or “hiking” the Camino. He chose the Camino because it was more of a physical challenge. He gets what he asks for, as his biggest challenge becomes the immense physical pain that he experiences. He must learn to persevere as the struggle to complete the Camino becomes more painful with every step."

For me, I decided it best to train hard at home. This allowed me to experience everything about the Camino without the distraction of physical pain.

-Paul

€149,-
Having now walked the Camino with training and without training, I would definitely say that with training is preferable. It can make a big difference in the physical challenges you face. That said, however, I wouldn't say that walking the Camino without training is a "fool's errand" (except perhaps in the sense of a holy fool). If it is a choice between walking the Camino without training and not walking the Camino at all (because the opportunity happens to come together when you are unprepared) - take the Camino. It certainly may be more physically challenging and even painful than if you had trained but it will be worth it. Not a fool's errand.

I suggest watching Six Ways to Santiago (http://caminodocumentary.org/) and follow the progress of Tomas:

"Tomás, 30-something, athletic and very charming.... chose the Camino because it was more of a physical challenge. He gets what he asks for.... the Camino becomes more painful with every step."

-Paul

Thanks Paul. I watched that film quite some time ago, and forgot about this.

I wouldn't say that walking the Camino without training is a "fool's errand" (except perhaps in the sense of a holy fool)....It certainly may be more physically challenging and even painful than if you had trained but it will be worth it. Not a fool's errand.

I wouldn't go so far as saying it was all downhill once I crossed The Pyrenees. There were plenty more challenges to come-- especially mental ones (like extreme fear before each "landmark" big climb.) But that said, it really wasn't rougher than I expected. Perhaps more accurately, I got to see I'm tougher than I'd expected! :)

Thanks for helping me remember this. I'm prepping for an extended bike ride in Europe, so the timing is perfect! :)

Thank you everyone. I'm doing it! Might begin in SJPDP, or maybe a few days further out, so I hit Pyrenees with a walking start. Will take the Valcarlos route, and will absolutely bring walking poles.

I'm deeply touched by the responses here-- not just the advice, but the kindness too. If that's a snapshot of the Camino, then I understand better the draw it has.
Buen Camino!

I wouldn't go so far as saying it was all downhill once I crossed The Pyrenees. There were plenty more challenges to come-- especially mental ones (like extreme fear before each "landmark" big climb.) But that said, it really wasn't rougher than I expected. Perhaps more accurately, I got to see I'm tougher than I'd expected! :)

Thanks for helping me remember this. I'm prepping for an extended bike ride in Europe, so the timing is perfect! :)
I wouldn't say it was all downhill after you cross the Pyrenees, either. There are some noticeable uphills as you enter Galicia. Even the Meseta, famed for being flat, isn't so much one big plateau as a series of them so you get some climbs there, too, although none to compare to the Pyrenees or O Cebreiro. But the later hills come after you've built up some stamina and conditioning.

The advantage of training is that it helps to build up some conditioning before you go so that you get the benefit for the first part of the Camino and can avoid some of the terrible strains that can put on you at the beginning. I'm living proof that it can be done without (although my knees didn't recover until after it was over from the strain I put on them in the first week).

So it was the "downhill after the Pyrenees" that was hardest on me. :)

I wouldn't say it was all downhill after you cross the Pyrenees, either. There are some noticeable uphills as you enter Galicia. Even the Meseta, famed for being flat, isn't so much one big plateau as a series of them so you get some climbs there, too, although none to compare to the Pyrenees or O Cebreiro. But the later hills come after you've built up some stamina and conditioning.

Hey thanks David. I reread my post, and see how it could have been unclear. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth-- I know you didn't say (write) that. What I meant to say is close to what you wrote. I did start without training, As hoped, I did get stronger as I went. Your point about avoiding strains near beginning is a good one. I guess I did dodge a bullet there. Maybe that's down to being buoyed by all the love/support my post brought in. :)

I'm good with walking 20 to 25 km a day but am not in good shape and also have a bunch of weight you can't just leave at home. When we did the VdlP from Ourense I was on day 2 of an antibiotics treatment for an infection, had diarrhea and was at about 50% of my normal capacity... but I still did it and loved it. Had we not decided to send our bags ahead, it might have been different, but I still carried a good-sized backpack throughout. My only regret is not being able to eat well for the first 3 or 4 days. I see you already decided to go ahead but maybe this bit of extra encouragement won't hurt.

Thank you everyone. I'm doing it! Might begin in SJPDP, or maybe a few days further out, so I hit Pyrenees with a walking start. Will take the Valcarlos route, and will absolutely bring walking poles.

I'm deeply touched by the responses here-- not just the advice, but the kindness too. If that's a snapshot of the Camino, then I understand better the draw it has.
I agree with what Robo says
but a few extra things
1. when you hear the crunch crunch crunch of another pilgrims feet, the body's desire to fall into synch with that footfall is very strong, you probably wont even notice until you're puffing and straining to keep up.
Walk a pace that is comfortable for you, and dont let your ears bully you into walking any faster.
2. Although you may walk a half marathon distance each day - it is nothing like a half marathon. Stop often, rest, have plenty of time for breakfast, take photos, pet a dog or cat, have second breakfast (yes it is a thing). Its not a race, stop as often as you like. Chat, go off piste occasionally. I met many people who rushed through a pretty village in order to get somewhere. The journey actually is the destination, enjoy the pretty villages, and everything the path has to offer. Walking across a country is a pretty amazing thing.
3. And I cant stress enough, comfortable shoes, a pack that fits you well, and the bare necessities - you will be amazed how contented you can be, with barely anything.

But I do look back on my Camino with smiles and pride-- and gratitude for lessons that still support me.
I am about to walk my first camino - Primitivo because that’s all I have free time for… as I was browsing this forum, I found your thread - I am so happy you did it! How did it go? I’m also carrying some extra post COVID weight and I hope it won’t hinder me too much, but perhaps I can loose some as I walk… I didn’t plan my walk around this goal, but your post reminded me that it’s always a bonus :) Very curious if u ended up doing the regular stretches of road or had to dial down?

I am about to walk my first camino - Primitivo because that’s all I have free time for… as I was browsing this forum, I found your thread - I am so happy you did it! How did it go? I’m also carrying some extra post COVID weight and I hope it won’t hinder me too much, but perhaps I can loose some as I walk… I didn’t plan my walk around this goal, but your post reminded me that it’s always a bonus :) Very curious if u ended up doing the regular stretches of road or had to dial down?
I also carried some additional Covid weight for my first Camino this year too. Actually I've been over weight a while now ;). I walked the Camino Ingles because I had limited time like you. The weight won't hinder you as long as you listen to your body: Walk when its good to walk and rest when its good to rest. I met and walked with a lot of people but when the uphill's came along I slowed down and they moved on. And it was OK. PS I don't know about your route but I didn't loose any weight and I was not planning on it for such a short Camino. I also wanted to enjoy some of the Galician food (and beer).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks much
No brother, don't sell yourself short. I walked from Astorga to SDC and walked with 60 yr old woman with stage 3 cancer, blisters all over her feet and she still made it. If you get tired, you rest, if your are hungry eat. I found after 3 days of walking 20-30 k/day my body got used to it.. " the man who risks nothing, is nothing" william ward

No brother, don't sell yourself short. I walked from Astorga to SDC and walked with 60 yr old woman with stage 3 cancer, blisters all over her feet and she still made it. If you get tired, you rest, if your are hungry eat. I found after 3 days of walking 20-30 k/day my body got used to it.. " the man who risks nothing, is nothing" william ward
This post gave me some comfort… although I am not intimidated by walking long distances, I was quite intimidated knowing I will have to do it DAILY… u said after 3 days y oh noticed a difference… I hope that will prove true for me as well…. Wishful thinking here

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.